Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Millbrook, Dutchess County - Hudson Valley

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Old 05-26-22, 12:34 PM
Dcypher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi, I'm new to these forums.

I live in Millbrook and would like to use the Rail Trail.
Is is legal to ride my bike on 82 or 44 to get to the Rail Trail?
Likes For Dcypher:
Old 05-26-22, 02:32 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
You can legally ride a bike on any road that is not otherwise signed as being off-limits to bikes. The Taconic Parkway and NY State Thruway are examples as no bikes allowed, as are all Interstates in NY.

Big question is do you want to ride these roads and how suitable are they to cycling, 44 as example doesn't seem to have a spacious shoulder from what I can see on Google Satellite. I assume you are trying to get over to the Harlem Valley Rail Tral ?, which runs from Wassaic to Copake Falls ?. I'd maybe do some research on the web, premium edition of Ride With GPS shows the Heat Map which indicates road use by other cyclists. Rt 44 is purple, which means cyclists use this, so maybe not so bad. Google maps routing tool for cycling will route you on 44. Maybe just drive it and see for your self.

Note as well there's the Maybrook rail trail goes from Brewster to Wappingers Falls, extends as the Duchess Rail Trail from Wappingers Falls to just east od New Paltz, crossing over the Walk Way on the Hudson bridge. Some great riding up your way.

Last edited by Steve B.; 05-26-22 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-26-22, 05:49 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Yes. Can you and your bike handle light gravel/packed dirt? At Lithgow on US 44 make a right onto Deep Hollow and descend to NY 343/82, where you make a left. The start of the trail is at the train station just up the road. The times I’ve ridden 343/82 from the end of the trail to Deep Hollow have been relatively busy, but there is enough of a shoulder. Just be prepared for trucks speeding by. Deep Hollow is really nice and pretty much traffic free, but the return trip requires climbing.

The best part of that trail is from Millerton to Copake. Rode it last year during a tour from northern Vermont home to Philly after camping at Taconic State Park. There is a store/cafe along the trail right across from the park entrance. A couple I know rode that section the day before I did and had to stop and wait for this bugger to move along.

Last edited by indyfabz; 05-26-22 at 05:56 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-26-22, 10:43 PM
Dcypher

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great information, thanks Steve B. & indyfabz!

I just bought a Roll 2.0 from Bikeway (near the dc airport). Its my first bike as an adult.... so, its been a while. lol
Love the rail trail for walking, now for biking also. Just finished Hopewell to Highland tonight (about an hour), and loved it.... I can't wait to go again.

Millbrook to Poughkeepsie (44) or Lagrange (82) is just not doable for me... the sides of the road are too narrow and probable full of stuff that would pop my tires. So for now I'll be driving out to one of the entry points. I'll have a look at Lithgow/Deep Hollow, thanks! Now I'll have to buy some bear spray, if its even legal to buy. I don't want to have one of those chasing me! LOL

D.
Old 05-27-22, 04:29 AM
indyfabz

Black bears are rarely aggressive. In 2017 I came within 25’ of one that had raided the trash dumpsters as I was leaving a campground in NW Pennsylvania. I estimate he was around 600 lbs. We looked at each other for a few seconds and he trundled off. The next day I startled one while riding the Pine Creek Trail. It jumped into the creek and swam across. I’ve seen at least 6 white riding in various places. Never a problem. Always a joy.
Old 05-27-22, 05:05 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
I bike up that way all the time as well as in the Adirondacks and Maine and never feel the need to carry bear spray. Very little likelihood of seeing one and as I don't carry food, nothing to attract a bear to me.

And to OP, if you haven't set up for this already, carry a repair kit. Generally 2 spare tubes, small mini pump., maybe CO2 inflators and spare cartridges (waste a few and practice using at home). Small cycle pocket tool - Topeak Alien is my favorite, it has tire levers, use one of the small to medium tool pouches that install under the rear of the seat.

Last edited by Steve B.; 05-27-22 at 05:08 AM.
Old 05-27-22, 05:55 AM
cyclebycle13
Super WW

Bikes: A really light one and a really heavy one.

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
I live in Pawling, I use the trail to cut out some of the traffic. You're probably not going to want to use deep hollow - the section closest to 22 is rather steep, you'll have to deal with ruts and erosion from the rain and if it's wet you'll be sliding around quite a bit. If you're not comfortable on those shoulders with traffic your best bet is to drive.

Also, when you come off of deep hollow you can now go straight across 22 and go into wassaic where the trail now starts.

The millerton-copake falls section is nice but narrow - on weekends it's kind of a disaster to navigate with all the people walking, I actually prefer undermountain road and/or 22 has a huge shoulder on that portion
Old 05-28-22, 07:52 PM
indyfabz

Did something happen to Deep Hollow? I climbed it for second time in September on a fully loaded bike. It was fine.