Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New to me 1973 Raleigh Competition frame

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

New to me 1973 Raleigh Competition frame

Old 05-26-22, 01:45 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,657 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
I've heard discussions about the difficulty of making a "good" living as a framebuilder, and I suspect it falls into the general category of "fun jobs don't pay well".

Even in my career as an engineer, the part about creating and problem solving is wonderful, but it's also the part that engineers are expected to give up when they (usually) move into project management or middle management. I opted to stay in the fun stuff as much as possible, with a distinct impact to my earnings. The trick is to actually have valuable skills that people recognize and value.

With full-time framebuilders, it seems that you need to successfully market your work if you want to make some money (i.e. enough to not starve). Richard Sachs always struck me as having done a great job of this... he got covered by a wide variety of magazines, produced beautiful frames, and stuck with a particular style that could be produced quickly and efficiently. Admittedly, making unadorned racing frames might become tedious in its own way, but there was a significant market for them, and it didn't require spending a ton of time with the customer discussing options and such.

In my own work, even the interesting work could have a fair bit of tedious work involved, so I also did electronics work as a hobby. As a retired guy myself, I still find myself spending too much time on other stuff and not enough on electronics. At least I don't have to go to meetings or do performance reviews.

Steve in Peoria
You know the old saw about getting a job at something you love so you never work a day in your life???? It's been my experience that getting a job as a bike mechanic or a musician can potentially make you hate the thing you love if you're not careful. I still love riding and gigging but never teaching guitar or bass or a new mechanic again would be ok by me.
Old 05-26-22, 03:08 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1825 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
You know the old saw about getting a job at something you love so you never work a day in your life???? It's been my experience that getting a job as a bike mechanic or a musician can potentially make you hate the thing you love if you're not careful. I still love riding and gigging but never teaching guitar or bass or a new mechanic again would be ok by me.
very true! I had a friend who had considered bailing out of engineering college and just doing stained glass windows. She had been doing stained glass as a hobby and as a part-time job. I think there's a lot to be said for the idea of "don't turn your hobby into a job", because it's likely that you'll just feel too much pressure to make it pay off and will learn to hate it.

I think one advantage of engineering is that it covers a huge field of potential types of work. Even when I was doing design work, it covered both software and electronics hardware. The software included work on diesel engine control here in Peoria, as well as laser control when doing defense work. The hardware also ranged from aircraft to spacecraft to the big diesel powered earth-moving equipment.

For me, the biggest factor for job satisfaction was the boss. Even when fixing aircraft in the Marines, a good boss could make even a crappy job enjoyable! By the same token, a rotten boss could ruin what should be a great job. I suppose the trick is to make sure that you always have your eye on an alternate job, just in case the current one turns rotten. Part of that includes keeping your skills up to date so that other employers will want to hire you. As you get older, this gets harder and harder (which I assume most of the C&V crowd has experienced).

Part of being ready to look for alternate jobs is to have a cushion of cash to keep you going during the transition. This cash can also be a retirement fund, in case you might want to retire early if the job goes bad. If nothing else, being ready to retire does provide some leverage in negotiations with your boss....

Steve in Peoria
(fortunately, my last boss was a good one, so no need for this sort of conversation)
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 05-26-22, 04:02 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,657 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
very true! I had a friend who had considered bailing out of engineering college and just doing stained glass windows. She had been doing stained glass as a hobby and as a part-time job. I think there's a lot to be said for the idea of "don't turn your hobby into a job", because it's likely that you'll just feel too much pressure to make it pay off and will learn to hate it.

I think one advantage of engineering is that it covers a huge field of potential types of work. Even when I was doing design work, it covered both software and electronics hardware. The software included work on diesel engine control here in Peoria, as well as laser control when doing defense work. The hardware also ranged from aircraft to spacecraft to the big diesel powered earth-moving equipment.

For me, the biggest factor for job satisfaction was the boss. Even when fixing aircraft in the Marines, a good boss could make even a crappy job enjoyable! By the same token, a rotten boss could ruin what should be a great job. I suppose the trick is to make sure that you always have your eye on an alternate job, just in case the current one turns rotten. Part of that includes keeping your skills up to date so that other employers will want to hire you. As you get older, this gets harder and harder (which I assume most of the C&V crowd has experienced).

Part of being ready to look for alternate jobs is to have a cushion of cash to keep you going during the transition. This cash can also be a retirement fund, in case you might want to retire early if the job goes bad. If nothing else, being ready to retire does provide some leverage in negotiations with your boss....

Steve in Peoria
(fortunately, my last boss was a good one, so no need for this sort of conversation)
My father designed the sleeve metering fuel system for caterpillar truck engines. It had to be completely mechanical. He so wanted it to be electronically controlled but the powers that were said no. He did seem to enjoy that job a lot. He had only a high school education and retired in the 80s as a senior design engineer with his name on several parents.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 05-26-22, 05:27 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
I would address the rear bridge for a proper recessed brake attachment since the paint will be messed with at the dropout.
these frames got very variable brazing.

but it is 49 years old... how fast we are to age things.

I do have a 50 year old bike, and a few older, some younger and only two older than me.
Likes For repechage:
Old 05-26-22, 06:31 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
I would address the rear bridge for a proper recessed brake attachment since the paint will be messed with at the dropout.
these frames got very variable brazing.

but it is 49 years old... how fast we are to age things.

I do have a 50 year old bike, and a few older, some younger and only two older than me.
This might be a moot point since I may decide to go whole hog on this one and get posts brazed on for cantis or Frenchy center pulls, but I need to sit with it for a bit. This frame is older than I am, but not by much…

Last edited by noobinsf; 05-26-22 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-30-22, 06:21 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Opening this up a little more, it looks like there are some issues with the seat cluster. Bravo to the previous owner, as the seat post was slathered in grease, and it was overly long, which may have been done to avoid damaging it further. But, it’s damaged nevertheless, and I’ll have to think about how to deal with it. It looks like the kind of damage usually associated with a too-short seat post.

Also, this is a 27.0 — shouldn’t it be a 27.2?

Crack at bottom of clamp ears.

Bulge at bottom of seat lug

Stress lines from bulge, and it looks like the drive side seat stay cap took a whack at some point, so there is a ding.

Last edited by noobinsf; 05-30-22 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-31-22, 06:37 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 694 Posts
My usual recommendation for a full 531DB Raleigh is to gently run a brake cylinder hone down it, after making sure the top is the correct width. It should indeed be 27.2, and both of the '73 Raleighs I had a couple of years ago (a Gran Sport since moved on and a Competition Mk. II that I adore) required this treatment. You're not so much removing material as smoothing away corrosion and any odd burrs. The brake cylinder hone is also your friend for steerer tubes, and MOST especially when you want to run a Nitto stem in a metric Nervor steerer without sanding down the stem quill. Run the hone, thoroughly grease everything and it works, though it may feel snug.
Likes For rustystrings61: