Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

concerns about 1x drivetrain on my new bike

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

concerns about 1x drivetrain on my new bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-22, 06:56 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
Originally Posted by happy_cyclist
If you anticipate your downshifts, is there ever a need to do 2 or 3 gears at a time? Just trying to think of how that would be utilized. I guess if the road/terrain was about to get steep very quickly?
PRACTICE. It'll answer your questions far better than someone else can.

You'll learn what works best for you. You can experiment a bit once you get a modicum of confidence.
I'm a decrepit 74 year old and you're probably not. Even when I wasn't so decrepit, I tended to use the easier gear and keep my cadence up as long as I was going up any elevation. I simply didn't care how fast that was because my lungs were the limiting factor. I'd go as fast as I could maintain and not go into distress.
Of course, I use triples and close spaced cassettes. The wide gaps between gears on a 1x would finish off my crappy knees.
I use a 12-27 on my grocery getter and a 13-25 on my hybrid. Both 9 Speed triples. 22-32-??.
Seriously- The time you've spent here could have been better used on the bike.
Old 05-26-22, 07:00 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
If you anticipate your downshifts, is there ever a need to do 2 or 3 gears at a time? Just trying to think of how that would be utilized. I guess if the road/terrain was about to get steep very quickly?
Maybe read the FIRST PARAGRAPH of my FIRST POST!
Old 05-26-22, 08:04 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
I'm a decrepit 74 year old and you're probably not.
Of course, I use triples and close spaced cassettes. ...Both 9 Speed triples.
When I was getting ready to purchase my "nice" road bike at age 50, I read Joe Friel's book, "Cycling Past 50". He recommended a "3-by" drivetrain as more friendly to the aging rider's body. In the first few years after I bought the Airborne (Ultegra 3 x 9), I used the "granny" less and less; now I rarely use it. But, at 72, I don't doubt that I'll be using it again before I stop riding.
Old 05-26-22, 08:06 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Yes. There's a hill on a favorite route of mine that rears up VERY quickly after a short descent. You can stay in your descending gear to keep some momentum at the beginning of the climb, but then it bends to the right and gets vertical in a big hurry. Being able to downshift three cogs can be the difference between cleaning it and walking it.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 05-26-22, 08:07 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Aren't you a little ray of sunshine today?
Old 05-27-22, 01:43 PM
happy_cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry, I had read that but it slipped my mind. Your example of not wanting to stop suddenly at a traffic light in too high of a gear has been noted!
Old 05-27-22, 04:49 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
It makes less noise cross chain than the front derailer ever did and you can shift half the cassette with one sweep of the shifter. The shifts are the same size they ever were (15%) because hybrids have always used mountain bike cassettes. Honestly, what do you want?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-27-22, 06:26 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Basic answer, yes. BUT, it depends on the spacing of your rear cassette: When I was running 9 speed 32x 11-34, it was common for me to shift 2-3 cogs in one go; either by max trigger shift or, later, with the thumb shifter. NOW, I am running 40x 11-50 and finding the wider spacings a benefit, requiring only one or two cog shifts to gain anywhere from an eighteen to a 48 percent boost in pedaling ease. Once you are familiar with the shifts, uphills become more routine. Downhills, I usually spin up cadence a little to accommodate the 18-25% increase in difficulty. Having said all this, I am still very pleased with commuting by bike on this setup.

Interestingly, my retrofitted 40x 11-50 is stealth quiet, even with max chain deviation. So, either my mechanic is a freaking genius (he is), or I'm damned lucky (a problematic preposition, outside of my marriage)
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 05-28-22, 01:36 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
1. The need to shift multiple gears at once is a function of how far ahead you can plan and and how fast the grade is changing. I live in a very hilly area and there are a few places on my commute where the grade goes from 10% downhill to 10% uphill in 30 feet. In those places I’m shifting down just as fast as I possibly can. The rest of the time shifts are a pedal stroke or two apart at worst.
2. The key to smooth shifting is practice. Those of us who grew up on friction shifters and wanted a silent shift were forced to learn the interaction between load, speed, and shift lever movement. Something I tell new people to do is bike along with pressure on the pedals (ie normal riding) then coast for a split second so the rear hub ratchet disengages. Then, try to start pedaling, but without reengaging the drivetrain. Too slow and you’ll hear your free hub ratchet clicking. Too fast and you’ll start to put pressure on the pedals again as the rear hub ratchet engages. Just right in between and it’s as if your pedals are coasting like the wheels. Like one cyclist following another closely. You don’t touch, push, or pull on each other, you just silently move in concert. This is the condition you want to shift in. Once you under this you can let off for a split second and then command the shift. As soon as the chain has a couple teeth of engagement in the final gear you can resume power.
At first this takes a couple pedal strokes, but once you’re good at it, it takes less than a quarter turn of your front crank, all without your feet really slowing down.

Two things to remember: Shifts don’t work under full load because the chain doesn’t want to let go. Shifts don’t work if you stop pedaling because the chain needs to be moving in order to go anywhere, including to the next sprocket. Stay in between these two conditions and all is well.
Likes For jccaclimber:
Old 05-29-22, 12:06 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
1x drivetrains work fine, I wouldn't worry about anything you're mentioning. They somewhat obviously can't offer as close gearing with the same number of cogs as a 2x or 3x setup, but honestly in city traffic (or mountain biking, for that matter) you hardly ever settle into a consistent speed long enough for that to bother most people--long road/gravel rides are different issue and I'd personally find it slightly annoying in those applications. If the noise isn't bothering you it's probably not indicative of anything that will lead to more frequent service or shorter service life. You may or may not have a quieter chain if you match a Shimano chain to your Shimano drivetrain--KMC mostly works great, but can sometimes be a little noisier.
Likes For cpach:
Old 05-29-22, 06:05 PM
happy_cyclist

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
It makes less noise cross chain than the front derailer ever did and you can shift half the cassette with one sweep of the shifter. The shifts are the same size they ever were (15%) because hybrids have always used mountain bike cassettes. Honestly, what do you want?
Sorry, I'm not following. Where are you getting that you can shift half the cassette with one sweep of the shifter?