Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Frame pump owners unite

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Frame pump owners unite

Old 03-19-16, 07:26 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Frame pump owners unite

I'm 48 years old, I couldn't care less what the proper look is supposed to be. This adjustable beauty fits on all four of my bikes (3 being vintage), from 54-57cm's. Frame pumps rule.

You'll have to forgive FSA for plastering their components with huge ugly logos.

Old 03-19-16, 08:44 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Zefal HPX user here.
Old 03-19-16, 09:01 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
I still keep a Zefal HpX on one, too, but most of my other bikes are frame mounted minis-- Lezyne Road Drives in particular-- rather than frame-fits. The minis are good enough that I don't want to bother with the handling issues of a frame-fit anymore, like when grabbing the bike by the top tube and knocking it loose, or needing to remove it to put the bike on a trunk carrier.

Old 03-19-16, 09:06 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

The custom painted Silca on this Speedvagen is dope:

Likes For chaadster:
Old 03-19-16, 09:09 PM
ypsetihw

Bikes: s-1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have to forgive FSA, but I do have to forgive you, that nonsense looks terrible. if you're so old and don't care, then why even ride a drop bar bike? get a flat bar, stop wearing lycra, and stop trying to prove something that literally nobody is gonna agree with.
Old 03-19-16, 09:46 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 2,167 Times in 1,459 Posts
Don't worry about the logos. You lost your pedals.
Old 03-19-16, 10:22 PM
sheltonlp
Road Newbie

Bikes: Focus Izalco, Scott Speedster 20, Giant 29er Hardtail MTB, Giant Full Susp MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure why anyone needs a pump that large, i'm fine with my CO2 and a mini pump for longer rides. I also have a Focus, I love their bikes but I do feel like I'm riding a billboard around.

If you changed to a Thomson seat post and stem you might gain a little style points :-)
Old 03-19-16, 10:34 PM
thomasgk327

Bikes: 1970's Peugeot RB, 2014 Motobecane Vent Noir RB, 2013 Motobecane Fantom 29er MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zefal Competition on my 1970's Peugeot.
Old 03-19-16, 11:02 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5756 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,395 Posts
50+ years riding, and a full length press on frame pump is like my American Express card, in that I don't leave home without it. Every bike is full time equipped with it's own pump, so it's one less detail to worry about in the AM.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-20-16, 04:50 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by ypsetihw
I don't have to forgive FSA, but I do have to forgive you, that nonsense looks terrible. if you're so old and don't care, then why even ride a drop bar bike? get a flat bar, stop wearing lycra, and stop trying to prove something that literally nobody is gonna agree with.
I'm open to criticism, but not from a young'un on a Nashbar bike who hasn't even been riding a year yet
Old 03-20-16, 05:42 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
DSFDF

My dissatisfaction with frame-mounted pumps dates back to my earliest days cycling when I discovered that all the hoopla about Silca pumps was hogwash. Their only true function was decorative as they couldn't pump up a beach ball, much less a 100+ psi bicycle tire. No question that Zefal made a better and more functional product, but the spell was broken. I still have one, but when CO2 was introduced for emergency, on-road bike tire inflation, that is the choice I made. Have never looked back.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 03-20-16, 05:59 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
DSFDF

My dissatisfaction with frame-mounted pumps dates back to my earliest days cycling when I discovered that all the hoopla about Silca pumps was hogwash. Their only true function was decorative as they couldn't pump up a beach ball, much less a 100+ psi bicycle tire. ... but when CO2 was introduced [emphasis added].....
Gee, I guess I and tens of thousands of tubular riders who pumped our tires to 100+psi daily must have been suffering under some kind of mass delusion.

What to carry for on the road inflation is an each to his own taste deal with no right answer. But to disparage a product that served generations of cyclists well is nonsense. That you couldn't get it to "pump up a beach ball" says more about you than it does the pump.

BTW - CO2 inflators were around before you were. That thread doesn't mention a unit Schwinn was marketing in the sixties.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Last edited by FBinNY; 03-20-16 at 06:26 AM.
Old 03-20-16, 06:09 AM
Lazyass

DSFDF

My dissatisfaction with frame-mounted pumps dates back to my earliest days cycling when I discovered that all the hoopla about Silca pumps was hogwash. Their only true function was decorative as they couldn't pump up a beach ball, much less a 100+ psi bicycle tire. No question that Zefal made a better and more functional product, but the spell was broken. I still have one, but when CO2 was introduced for emergency, on-road bike tire inflation, that is the choice I made. Have never looked back.
Well this thread isn't a debate about frame pumps. However you must have had a dud because they do pump up a 100+psi tire.
Old 03-20-16, 06:17 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Gee, I guess I and tens of thousands of tubular riders who pumped our tires to 100+psi daily must have been suffering under some kind of mass delusion.

What to carry for on the toad inflation is an each to his own taste deal with no tight answer. But to disparage a product that served generations of cyclists well is nonsense. That you couldn't get it to "pump up a beach ball" says more about you than it does the pump
Maybe so FB. They were surely popular and I'm sure they evoke much nostalgia. And I can see how they came to be relied upon when they were all there was to be had. All I can say is that the two I had didn't work for ****. Neither did anyone I know back then who had one really like it for anything but limping home after a flat. But if they were so fine, why were they almost completely replaced in the market by Zefal nearly instantaneously? For that interval when full size frame pumps were still in vogue, Zefal rapidly took over the market. That same Zefal is still being sold, while the Silca disappeared. The Silca company, whether the same organization or just a new company with an old name, has become a maker and seller of luxury exotica, pumps incredibly overbuilt and overhyped to justify prices several fold above what their functionality justifies.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 03-20-16, 06:21 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by Lazyass
Well this thread isn't a debate about frame pumps. However you must have had a dud because they do pump up a 100+psi tire.
I will defer to the general opinion while still making sure to specify I am talking about 80's era cheesy plastic ones, not the metal ones which pre- and postdated them.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 03-20-16, 07:05 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster

Now that's a nicely proportioned bike!

(just kidding... )
Old 03-20-16, 07:14 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
I have a topeak frame pump that I use on my vintage schwinn because it looks cool. I also can get the tires above 100 psi but my technique isn't the best so have experienced user error failures. I will say the topeak morph series pump, including mini morph, is just a better design for getting air into tires from a portable pump.
Old 03-20-16, 07:27 AM
FBinNY 

I will defer to the general opinion while still making sure to specify I am talking about 80's era cheesy plastic ones, not the metal ones which pre- and postdated them.
Bob, you mentioned the Silca pump which was plastic going back to the sixties (at least) and ever since. I used and continue to use them (yes, same pump for decades) and always preferred them over the aluminum counterparts because you could club a dog with them and till have a working pump.

Old 03-20-16, 07:48 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Gee, I guess I and tens of thousands of tubular riders who pumped our tires to 100+psi daily must have been suffering under some kind of mass delusion....
And we didn't snap the freaking valve off! I was a 6'2" 125lb freshman in high school when I finally was able to run a Silca frame pump (with Campy head) in a desperate moment fixing a flat on the roadside. None of my fellow scrawny ride mates could run one and they cheered me as I filled up my spare. One of those moments I've never forgotten.
Old 03-20-16, 07:57 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 2,167 Times in 1,459 Posts
My experience with a Zefal wasn't good. I hit a bump during a fast descent on a group ride and the pump popped off. I almost caused a huge crash. Then I learned about the Velcro straps which never seemed to stay in place.
Old 03-20-16, 08:21 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Totally depends on the situation and the bike
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]Never
[/TD]
[TD]Occasionally
[/TD]
[TD]Usually
[/TD]
[TD]Always
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Any ride on a racing bike or short rides around town on a cruiser or townie
[/TD]
[TD]Casual or training rides under 40 miles near home
[/TD]
[TD]Casual or training rides over 50 miles especially if I think there will be other people who may need help fixing a flat
[/TD]
[TD]Anything with gravel or an overnight[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 03-20-16, 08:34 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by kingston
Totally depends on the situation and the bike
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]Never[/TD]
[TD]Occasionally[/TD]
[TD]Usually[/TD]
[TD]Always[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Any ride on a racing bike or short rides around town on a cruiser or townie[/TD]
[TD]Casual or training rides under 40 miles near home[/TD]
[TD]Casual or training rides over 50 miles especially if I think there will be other people who may need help fixing a flat[/TD]
[TD]Anything with gravel or an overnight[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Do you have that taped to your top tube so that you can remember what you're supposed to do sometimes?

I tried to follow the rationale, but couldn't, so I'd need to have it written down somewhere to get it right. Or is a coin toss involved in there somewhere? That'd explain the fine distinction between Occasionally and Usually.
Old 03-20-16, 08:41 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
OP, I'm which you.
Old 03-20-16, 08:43 AM
ypsetihw

Bikes: s-1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I'm open to criticism, but not from a young'un on a Nashbar bike who hasn't even been riding a year yet
haha come on, you have to admit you were kindof asking for it with a thread like this. that is a rather nice looking focus, and I think the FSA slk cranks look very nice actually. I've just never had a need for anything beyond a minipump and a co2, even on rides up to a century. I DO like the look of vintage frame pumps on vintage road bikes.

to be fair, I'm hardly a youngun at 31, and my nashbar bike is current generation technology and very nicely equipped with a mix of 105 5800 and fsa components, which I think look sharp enough unless you like the look of a fully matched groupset. it's all my budget could afford with a 1yo, and a comparably equipped rig at my favorite LBS would have been close to 3 times as much after NYS taxes (don't get me started). it's actually coming into my third season riding as an adult thank you very much :-)

I used to have all kinds of stuff on my rig, including a frame pump, lights, saddle bag, and so on. as I've fallen more in love with my girl I have removed basically everything but the computer as to more fully appreciate her figure. my profile pic needs updating, but I have added a fizik aliante saddle in white and matching fizik white tape, and she looks gorgeous.

cheers man, happy sunday
Old 03-20-16, 08:47 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by StanSeven
My experience with a Zefal wasn't good. I hit a bump during a fast descent on a group ride and the pump popped off. I almost caused a huge crash. Then I learned about the Velcro straps which never seemed to stay in place.
The issue with my Park pump is that it rattles a little mounted under the top tube (unlike a Silica I used to have). It's not an issue on my old Univega because I mount it on the seat tube since I have no cage mount there, and that's my main ride anyway. I've ordered a Jandd velcro pump strap to use on my other bikes, and it has a little foam pad that goes between the pump and the frame.

Dombrowski has the strap from hell.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.