Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Teledyne Titan Saloon.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Teledyne Titan Saloon.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-19, 06:20 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
What about Simplex shifters Crank?
Refering to bar-end Simplex?
For the moment I'm on the Shimano kick - derailleurs, hubs, early DA seatpost of which lead me to the Shimano bar-ends. Different than the nicely operating ratchet feel Suntour but these have a very precise and spring action feel.

I had them on another bike and really like how quick and precise they are. Also the bars on my Teledyne are unknown French, frightening light and with shorter drop grip section. The bar-ends make up for the difference.

Though my real goal is to keep the hands on the drops much as possible on this noodle of a bike. Especially if dareing to take on the Thurs. night shootout and hang long as possible in the paceline. During the back half route, the fastest are vaporizing in front. I'm also conservative and don't like distraction devices for paceline riding. The fellows know me enough that when riding old school I have a mutual respect. Much of this is me wanting to smooth it up a bit and cherish my old school fun.

Do have regrets missing an offering of Cyclo bar end shifters a few months ago here on BF. Don't know much about them but they have a very svelte look that would match my hub skewers. Probably no spring action and strictly friction.

Last edited by crank_addict; 02-10-19 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-10-19, 06:31 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
There was one in the window of an LBS last year. I shot this of the accompanying build sheet.

And the bike.

There was no discussion of the headset, which looked like it was milled from PVC.
That's one heck of an experiment! Dig that build sheet.
The bars appear to be from a twisted lawn sprinkler head.

Old 02-10-19, 06:52 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes

Rims, Rear hub from @smontanaro

The Hi-E stuff was quirky but distinctly/defiantly lightweight. The QR skewers were very light, at the cost of clamping ability. Not a good choice for the horizontal dropouts of the day, but *perfect* for the verticals on the Titan! Great to see the hubs put to good use, and especially on one of the top weight weenie frames of the era.

Steve in Peoria
(longtime user of a front Hi-E skewer)
Old 02-10-19, 07:04 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
Mike are you on HDF as well?
Hey Nomad,
Yes I am, I haven't signed on there in a while. I still have the Super Glide, I declared that project done and I have been having fun annoying BMW guys on Palomar Mountain. I am currently working a 1966 Triumph vintage racer (AKA the money pit) for AHRMA Sportsman Open Twins, Perris Raceway is local to me and is a nice facility. They have a "vet track" there that is vintage friendly.
I got back into bicycles about 10 years ago and I can't say enough about the good that has done for me. My personal goal is to get to a point I can do a 20 minute max effort ride, I try not to think about my age, at 63 there is still a lot left to be accomplished.
So I guess I'm still nuts but it keeps you young... This is my everyday ride, the Bob Jackson, and yes I need the big gears. What are you riding these days?

Old 02-10-19, 07:15 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
There was one in the window of an LBS last year. I shot this of the accompanying build sheet.

And the bike.

There was no discussion of the headset, which looked like it was milled from PVC.
That would be a Nylfor headset, weighing 28 grams. Supply your own loose ball bearings, preferably nylon balls. They didn't last long, worked fine. Were also silly cheap BITD. I had a box of 10 and think that was $10.
Old 02-10-19, 07:30 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

What about Simplex shifters Crank?
The Simplex retrofriction were actually installed today and other than a bit of filing on the shifter lever stop bosses to clear the frame, the install went flawless. of coarse OCD crept in and I had to disassemble, clean and lube everything. I have a little ultrasonic tank I use with alcohol, its amazing how much stuff washes out of "new" parts. The crank is waiting for the correct pin spanner for the bottom bracket to show up.

: Mike
Old 02-10-19, 07:35 PM
Nemosengineer 

[QUOTE=crank_addict;20788435]That's one heck of an experiment! Dig that build sheet.
The bars appear to be from a twisted lawn sprinkler head./QUOTE]

I didn't notice the drilling until you mentioned it.
Old 02-10-19, 07:50 PM
Nemosengineer 

I looked for some light stuff, but did not go all gooey about it.
Advice from @steelbikeguy, @Steve Whitlatch, and @crank_addict.
Wheel build by @speedevil. Rides smoothly.

Year 1973-1976
[FONT=Arial]Serial No. TL000357
Make Teledyne
Model Titan A3U1R
Size 56x56
Tubing Teledyne Pure Ti
Fork Teledyne Pure Ti
Headset Shimano 105
Stem Cinelli 80mm black
Bars Cinelli 64-40
Saddle Selle Italia TurboMatic
Seat Post ITM fluted 26.8
Brake Levers Dura Ace 7200 w/DiaCompe hoods
Calipers Suntour Superbe 4700
Shifters Suntour Superbe DT (banded)
FD Suntour Cyclone
RD Suntour Cyclone
Cogs Suntour Winner Pro 13-21
Crankset Dura Ace 7200 165mm
Chain Rings Dura Ace 7200 52/42
Bottom Bracket Dura Ace 7200
Chain Sachs-Huret 8sp
Cables Jagwire stainless
Housing Jagwire black
Hubs Hi-E
Rims Araya tubular polished
Tires Vittoria Corsa CX tubular
Wrap black cork
Color Scheme raw Ti
Pedals MKS Sylvan w/Christophe half-clips

Hi Robbie,
An amazing build, I like your selection of the Suntour Cyclone, very pretty and light stuff.

: ike
Old 02-10-19, 08:40 PM
Nemosengineer 

Originally Posted by Chombi1
I was going to say, a CLB Professionel brakeset WITH CLB Dural brake cable casings.would be more in line with an ultimate weight weenie build. You can still find CLB Professionel brakesets for sale at eBay, but avoid getting the full NOS sets that are always overpriced. Buying the calipers separate from the levers will save you lots of money. Enough VGC condition calipers and levers also come up so that trying to find an NOS set for affordable prices, is not necessary.
If you can believe it, you can actually also go lighter with a JPR headset. But they are hard to find in English threading and always cost a lot too, Plus, the bearings do not run on steel races, but roll directly on aluminum grooves cast or forged on the cups.

Here's mine in French threading....waiting for a Tout French weight weenie build....
Hi Chombi1,
I love that headset, the way the wrench engages the flutes is absolute genius. You got me thinking seriously about my brake selection and you are very correct, it's a gaping hole in what I loosely call a groupset. After I read your post and a few others I made the decision to buy the NOS CLB pro stuff. The reason is this project has run long enough, that CLB brakeset has been on my watch list for months, and piecemealing a brakeset together, combined with restoration costs (paint, chasing small parts and time), would in the end, equal the cost of the NOS stuff. So easy decision and I'm comfortable with it.
I am very thankful for this forum as the advice and thoughts of others are very helpful to me, to get my stuff together with this build.

Old 02-11-19, 01:12 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 533 Posts
Just want you to be aware though, if you use CLB's Dural (aluminum) brake cable casings with their calipers, you will have quite a bit of squishiness with feel at the brake levers, specially with the rear brake.
I found that out when I updated my own weenie build with my Vitus Cabone when I changed out the steel brake cables with my set of CLB Dural cable casings.. The casings are very compressible, I think because of the soft aluminum wound casing spring inside them.
You still save some weight with just going with the calipers and the levers if you go with steel cable casings.....
Note that I used CLB aero style levers to pare off a little bit more weight with less cable lengths. The calipers also have aluminum brake pad holder mounting bolts.and cable anchor bolts which I think was only issued with the slightly later "Spaceline" version of the calipers. Thus the "S" silk screened on the top of my caliper's pivot area.
Here's my Vitus Carbone with the CLB brakeset and cable casing installed, now right at 6 pounds, after I just changed out the Turbo SLG saddle it is pictured with, with a lighter Flite Titanium saddle......

I'm still looking for a Stronglight Ti BB for the bike to get it below 16 pounds.......
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)

Last edited by Chombi1; 02-11-19 at 05:11 AM.
Old 02-11-19, 04:33 AM
nomadmax 

Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
I was thinking downtube banded Simplex shifters.

Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
Hey Nomad,
Yes I am, I haven't signed on there in a while. I still have the Super Glide, I declared that project done and I have been having fun annoying BMW guys on Palomar Mountain. I am currently working a 1966 Triumph vintage racer (AKA the money pit) for AHRMA Sportsman Open Twins, Perris Raceway is local to me and is a nice facility. They have a "vet track" there that is vintage friendly.
I got back into bicycles about 10 years ago and I can't say enough about the good that has done for me. My personal goal is to get to a point I can do a 20 minute max effort ride, I try not to think about my age, at 63 there is still a lot left to be accomplished.
So I guess I'm still nuts but it keeps you young... This is my everyday ride, the Bob Jackson, and yes I need the big gears. What are you riding these days?

I thought it was you even before I saw the username; that attention to detail and organization of yours is hard to hide That's a nice Bob Jackson, I've never had a Brit road bike before, pedal or motor. I currently ride an older Colnago Master and a Colnago Classic. I just picked up an Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra in 7-Eleven team colors. Currently it's on the stand getting all the components I'm particular to. Good to see you here; there are some great folks here, I've already met three in person.
Old 02-11-19, 08:02 AM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 160 Posts
Great looking bikes - sold mine a few years back because it was too tall and I was never going to ride it. The frame had already been repaired from a seatpost fracture at the seat stays. It was serial number 734. Classic Rendezvous has a serial number database if you all haven't added yours to it you may want to. Even without weight weenie components for everything it was still quite light. It did have Fiamme tubular rims.

Old 02-11-19, 08:16 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Thanks for the schooling on these Teledyne bikes. Admittedly, I knew next to nothing about them.

So does the ride match the hype surrounding these bikes?

@Chombi, loving your 16lb Vitus! That is a real vintage weight-weenie if there ever was one, not to mention being one of the classiest builds on the forum.
Old 02-11-19, 09:09 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts

Great minds think alike?...

Old 02-11-19, 09:49 AM
nomadmax 

Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts

What DON'T you have ?
Old 02-11-19, 09:54 AM
steelbikeguy

... This is my everyday ride, the Bob Jackson, and yes I need the big gears. What are you riding these days?

since this seems to be a Titan/Bob Jackson thread, let me quickly ask... what hubs are those?? At first glance, I'd guess they are from the 50's or 60's?? Pretty sexy stuff!

Steve in Peoria
Old 02-11-19, 11:01 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
since this seems to be a Titan/Bob Jackson thread, let me quickly ask... what hubs are those?? At first glance, I'd guess they are from the 50's or 60's?? Pretty sexy stuff!

Steve in Peoria
Curtis Odom hubs. They are probably from the last two decades. He still makes a pair periodically.
Old 02-11-19, 11:25 AM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
Curtis Odom hubs. They are probably from the last two decades. He still makes a pair periodically.
pretty nice! I've only seen his stuff on show bikes at NAHBS.

Steve in Peoria
Old 02-11-19, 02:19 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
For the moment I'm on the Shimano kick - derailleurs, hubs, early DA seatpost of which lead me to the Shimano bar-ends. Different than the nicely operating ratchet feel Suntour but these have a very precise and spring action feel.

I had them on another bike and really like how quick and precise they are. Also the bars on my Teledyne are unknown French, frightening light and with shorter drop grip section. The bar-ends make up for the difference.

Though my real goal is to keep the hands on the drops much as possible on this noodle of a bike. Especially if dareing to take on the Thurs. night shootout and hang long as possible in the paceline. During the back half route, the fastest are vaporizing in front. I'm also conservative and don't like distraction devices for paceline riding. The fellows know me enough that when riding old school I have a mutual respect. Much of this is me wanting to smooth it up a bit and cherish my old school fun.

Do have regrets missing an offering of Cyclo bar end shifters a few months ago here on BF. Don't know much about them but they have a very svelte look that would match my hub skewers. Probably no spring action and strictly friction.
Really cool to see this early ti bike be built up for actual riding with due consideration being given to the un-avoidable “noodle of a bike” description. It makes me think of a thread that ran last year where some folks submitted that resilient frames were no slower than stiff frames. I’m not a super masher but I’m not a lightweight either. And my area is very hilly.

The choice of the Simplex retrofriction down-tube shift levers is a good one in my mind since they will slip less when the bottom bracket is flexed compared to Campy type. I wanted a Telydyne Titan when I was a teenager until I rode one. My Masi Gran Criterium was much heavier in comparison. I had a school friend that I really looked up to who had one, built with all Campy Super Record. He let me ride his while he rode my Masi. I’m not sure what he thought of the Masi but I an still remember all the front derailleur trimming I was needing to do while climbing even minor rollers in the terrain. My take away after riding it was that I no longer wanted one. They sure are pretty though.

To the OP - I totally get why you would stick to a +/- 3 year rule on component series to match up to the year of manufacture of the bike. If it were me, I’d be wanting to use an NOS set of Dura-Ace Dyna Drive cranks and pedals. The pedals have a bad and mostly undeserved reputation for not holding up. I rebuilt my set that I had back in the day and was able to restore the correct operation of the bearings, eliminating all play and restoring my confidence in them.
Old 02-11-19, 05:12 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
If it were me, I’d be wanting to use an NOS set of Dura-Ace Dyna Drive cranks and pedals. The pedals have a bad and mostly undeserved reputation for not holding up. I rebuilt my set that I had back in the day and was able to restore the correct operation of the bearings, eliminating all play and restoring my confidence in them.
I have a complete set of those, but when I weighed them vs. the 7200/MKS Sylvans, they were 73g heavier.
All that weight .....
Old 02-11-19, 09:15 PM
Nemosengineer 

To prove my mettle as a vintage weight weenie and staying halfway French about it, for your viewing pleasure...
A Satri-Gallet fluted seat post (titanium bits), with a Cinelli SL Unicanitor with the forged aluminum frame, total weight for the assembly 487 grams.

Old 02-11-19, 09:32 PM
Chombi1 

To prove my mettle as a vintage weight weenie and staying halfway French about it, for your viewing pleasure...
A Satri-Gallet fluted seat post (titanium bits), with a Cinelli SL Unicanitor with the forged aluminum frame, total weight for the assembly 487 grams.

Never seen a Gallet seatpost before looks very minimalist and light
I'm more familiar with Gallet motorcycle helmets..., but I think I've seen old Gallet saddles too....
Old 02-11-19, 09:32 PM
Nemosengineer 

The Bob Jackson will soon become your favorite bike, there's magic in those tubes!!!
Old 02-11-19, 10:02 PM
Nemosengineer 

Originally Posted by Chombi1
Never seen a Gallet seatpost before looks very minimalist and light
I'm more familiar with Gallet motorcycle helmets..., but I think I've seen old Gallet saddles too....
Hi Chombi,
Satri built those seat posts for Gallet and Huret, that post shows up in Huret's 1975 catalog with Huret markings. Thank you for your insight and advice on the CLB brakes, I will put it to good use, "O" and your Vitus is absolutely magnificent!!!

Old 02-11-19, 10:25 PM
Chombi1 

Hi Chombi,
Satri built those seat posts for Gallet and Huret, that post shows up in Huret's 1975 catalog with Huret markings. Thank you for your insight and advice on the CLB brakes, I will put it to good use, "O" and your Vitus is absolutely magnificent!!!

Thank you too Mike for sharing your exciting Teledyne Tiatan build with us!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.