Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First crash in years...

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

First crash in years...

Old 04-14-22, 11:13 AM
Badbird2000

Bikes: Litespeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
First crash in years...

So, i was out for a ride Tuesday after work. It rained almost all day, but sun came out and things started to dry out. I was taking a loop i rarely go on the way home, it has a few more hills. I crested the largest one, house on the right had a dog, no fence. He comes bareling out giving chasse. I shift to the big chainring and accelerate. Road curves to the right then drops down... by the time i hit the turn, i was doing about 25.... no way i was making the turn with it being wet. Hit both brakes, and brace for impact. Bike runs off the road, down a 25' ravine and through a barbwire fence. I mean hey, if you are gonna go, go big. Finally come to a stop, and do a quick inventory. Helmet is choking me, it got knocked sideways somehow, nothing broken though. I'm under the bike in a litter leaf with trees. Struggle to get the bike back up to the road, realize i'm bleeding from right arm, and right leg. Looks like i fought Wolverine. Rear bike wheel is out of true, won't turn all the way. Dig the phone out of my bag and call for the SAG wagon (wife). A little sore, everything has stopped bleeding, i recently had a tetnaus shot. Went to the chiropractor today to get everything put back in place, dropping the bike off tonight at the bike shop and looking for a small cannister of bear spray for dogs. All that and the dog had given up and turned around. Turns out, i don't bounce so well at the age of 48.... oh well. I live to ride another day, so i will.
Old 04-14-22, 11:29 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Ouch. It happens. Hope you heal up ASAP.
Old 04-14-22, 11:37 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked 577 Times in 435 Posts
Ouch... Hope you'll heal fast. Those damn dog owners with no judgment... I am no a**hole in life, but I would definitively file a complaint for that dog that wasn't on a leash or in a closed area
Likes For eduskator:
Old 04-14-22, 01:25 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Badbird2000
and looking for a small cannister of bear spray for dogs. All that and the dog had given up and turned around. Turns out, i don't bounce so well at the age of 48.... oh well. I live to ride another day, so i will.
Originally Posted by eduskator
Ouch... Hope you'll heal fast. Those damn dog owners with no judgment... I am no a**hole in life, but I would definitively file a complaint for that dog that wasn't on a leash or in a closed area
I'm no a-hole either and am an owner of two 25 lb dogs, but I tend to start (lightly) kicking dogs in the top of the snout/face in those situations. Unless I know I can outrun it at 25 mph for 150' at which point they typically tire and give up.
Old 04-14-22, 01:37 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9647 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
I carry Halt! when riding the country roads around us. Haven't had to use it yet, but would not hesitate to do so. Also wouldn't hesitate to use any other means to protect myself even if it harmed the dog. That's coming from a dog owner as well as a "grand-dog owner" of two dogs that are, or will be, almost 100 pounds in size each. I have no sympathies for people who let their dogs roam, and we have a lot of that around here.

Hope you are better soon!
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 04-14-22, 01:48 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
wow! epic! have you seen the 2 dog threads lately? 1 about being chased & mine about being bitten? lots of good advice, including "don't sprint". barbed wire ...? yikes!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 04-14-22, 02:14 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,926 Times in 4,667 Posts
So, i was out for a ride Tuesday after work. It rained almost all day, but sun came out and things started to dry out. I was taking a loop i rarely go on the way home, it has a few more hills. I crested the largest one, house on the right had a dog, no fence. He comes bareling out giving chasse. I shift to the big chainring and accelerate. Road curves to the right then drops down... by the time i hit the turn, i was doing about 25.... no way i was making the turn with it being wet. Hit both brakes, and brace for impact. Bike runs off the road, down a 25' ravine and through a barbwire fence. I mean hey, if you are gonna go, go big. Finally come to a stop, and do a quick inventory. Helmet is choking me, it got knocked sideways somehow, nothing broken though. I'm under the bike in a litter leaf with trees. Struggle to get the bike back up to the road, realize i'm bleeding from right arm, and right leg. Looks like i fought Wolverine. Rear bike wheel is out of true, won't turn all the way. Dig the phone out of my bag and call for the SAG wagon (wife). A little sore, everything has stopped bleeding, i recently had a tetnaus shot. Went to the chiropractor today to get everything put back in place, dropping the bike off tonight at the bike shop and looking for a small cannister of bear spray for dogs. All that and the dog had given up and turned around. Turns out, i don't bounce so well at the age of 48.... oh well. I live to ride another day, so i will.
The part in bold font concerns me, as it suggests you are one of the many riders who does not properly cinch up the helmet straps. If you are wearing it properly, you should be not be able to wiggle it more than a couple millimeters from side-to-side and front-to-back, and should not be able to get more than a finger or two between the chinstrap and your chin. You want it snug, so that it won't shift out of position (as yours did).

Otherwise, heal up and avoid riding past that house!
Old 04-14-22, 02:40 PM
Badbird2000

Originally Posted by Koyote
The part in bold font concerns me, as it suggests you are one of the many riders who does not properly cinch up the helmet straps. If you are wearing it properly, you should be not be able to wiggle it more than a couple millimeters from side-to-side and front-to-back, and should not be able to get more than a finger or two between the chinstrap and your chin. You want it snug, so that it won't shift out of position (as yours did).

Otherwise, heal up and avoid riding past that house!
I was thinking about that part last night. I always thought it was snug enough, but if it moved enough to be shifted that much off my head and choking me, it's definitly something i need to look into. I think one of the clips broke in the back anyway, so it may be time for a new one. Valid point.. not much use in wearing a helmet if you don't wear it properly. When i was a kid, about 7, my older next door neighbor rammed me with her bike, a 10 speed. I got knocked to the ground, head first, with both bikes and her on top of me. She was mean as hell.. she just layed there laughing. Luckly my older brother saw it and ran over and got me up and to the house. My head was a bloody mess, got 4 butterfly stitches. After that, mom got me a football helmet to wear on the bike, lol....
Old 04-14-22, 04:23 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 774 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
It really depends on the local laws regarding dogs, and if they have to be contained / restrained. If there are no laws requiring an owner to do that, there isn't much you can do, except let the dog bite you and then sue the crap out of the owner.
Old 04-14-22, 05:48 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
....make sure you are up to date on your tetanus shots
Old 04-14-22, 05:52 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Quoted: 10233 Post(s)
Liked 5,171 Times in 2,220 Posts
Glad it wasn’t worse. Heal fast!
Old 04-14-22, 05:57 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
Rats!!! Glad you are OK... Sometimes the worst thing about a fall is the period of time before ya can get back out on your bike again...
Old 04-14-22, 06:14 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,071 Posts
Glad you came out of it without anything serious.

When I lived in Indiana and rode in IN, OH, KY, IL, and occasionally TN, dogs encounters were common. In four years living in the PNW, I've had maybe one dog encounter. I've become acclimated to this new reality, and it's pretty nice.
Old 04-14-22, 07:10 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
glad you are ok. wow, quite a crash
Old 04-14-22, 11:52 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
I think one of the clips broke in the back anyway, so it may be time for a new one.
Here's to a full and speedy recovery (in order of priority).

It is most definitely time for a new helmet even if you do not find any broken components. A helmet is only good for a single impact, so any time you go down it is time to order a new one.
Old 04-15-22, 02:47 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
A well aimed squirt from your water bottle will stop a dog in its tracks.
Old 04-15-22, 09:27 AM
Badbird2000

Thanks guys. Took the bike to the bike shop i bought it from last night. Rear wheel is hosed, front is out of shape. He is going to pull the front fork and make sure it's still ok (carbon fiber fork) and check the head tube geometry. It's an older Litespeed Tuscany. I really hope its ok, it should be. I love the way it rides. He actually builds custom wheel sets, so he is going to give me a couple of options. When i bought it used (3 years ago) it came with Rolf Primea... they are nice, but i'm not looking to drop that much coin on wheels. I only paid 800 for the entire bike, with Ultegra componets.
Likes For Badbird2000:
Old 04-15-22, 09:34 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28565 Post(s)
Liked 1,846 Times in 1,310 Posts
Dogs
Old 04-15-22, 09:45 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Hope you heal well. That said..bear spray is a bit over the top. There's plenty of other options that'll work well.

Outrunning a dog is sort of an all or nothing approach. Either you're successful or every other outcome gets much worse. Pick your poison..so to speak.
Old 04-15-22, 09:58 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
Thanks guys. Took the bike to the bike shop i bought it from last night. Rear wheel is hosed, front is out of shape. He is going to pull the front fork and make sure it's still ok (carbon fiber fork) and check the head tube geometry. It's an older Litespeed Tuscany. I really hope its ok, it should be. I love the way it rides. He actually builds custom wheel sets, so he is going to give me a couple of options. When i bought it used (3 years ago) it came with Rolf Primea... they are nice, but i'm not looking to drop that much coin on wheels. I only paid 800 for the entire bike, with Ultegra componets.
drats, at least you're not paying a hospital co-pay!
Old 04-15-22, 12:24 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9647 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
A well aimed squirt from your water bottle will stop a dog in its tracks.
That's what some say, but I wouldn't count on it in a situation where an aggressive dog is intent on hurting you.
Old 04-15-22, 01:13 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Dogs are really out for bikeforums members these days
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 04-16-22, 05:55 AM
bonsai171

Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
That's for sure. I had to spray 2 dogs on my last gravel ride. It's crazy here in Georgia sometimes

Dave
Likes For bonsai171:
Old 04-16-22, 06:08 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Marine Air horn works fine for Dogs.

Old 04-16-22, 07:05 AM
bonsai171

Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Marine Air horn works fine for Dogs.
Pepper spray has always worked for me, but there is a risk of getting it on yourself and your skin burning a bit and it is a little harder to aim on windy days. How many bursts do you get out of that air horn? Does a quick burst work to scare the dog?

Dave

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.