Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help IDing a frame - S-curve seat tube

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help IDing a frame - S-curve seat tube

Old 05-07-22, 04:36 PM
fmradio516

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So if these are Campy track dropouts, is it feasible to think that the derailleur tab is the one braze on listed higher up on this page? The transition looks very smooth, if so. It looks like one piece.

Knowing what we know now, would it be more beneficial to part it out and sell the frameset for cheap? Wheels are tubular, so would it make sense to un-lace the wheels and just sell the Record hubs? Im trying to find someone with a freewheel removal tool. LBS says he has a Regida tool that might work, but idk. I really want to find someone with the correct tool.
Old 05-07-22, 09:03 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by fmradio516
So if these are Campy track dropouts, is it feasible to think that the derailleur tab is the one braze on listed higher up on this page? The transition looks very smooth, if so. It looks like one piece.

Knowing what we know now, would it be more beneficial to part it out and sell the frameset for cheap? Wheels are tubular, so would it make sense to un-lace the wheels and just sell the Record hubs? Im trying to find someone with a freewheel removal tool. LBS says he has a Regida tool that might work, but idk. I really want to find someone with the correct tool.
It isn't hard for a decent framebuilder to braze on a derailleur tab to a dropout with brass and then file the combination smooth. It is possible that they did this after the frame was made and that is why the ends are painted silver. This might have begun life as a track bike that was then converted to be a time trial bike. The reason I think this is a track frame is because the head angle looks steep combined with very little fork rake. It makes no sense to make a road time trial frame with a steep head angle. That would make the steering more squirrelly. In a time trial you don't want to think about steering, you just want to go in a straight line. This is probably good news because your friend will get more if you sell it as a track frame than a hodge podge of parts making it a time trial bike.

Track frames have higher bottom bracket heights than road frames. Carefully get the bike to stand straight up without leaning over to the side and measure from the ground to the center of the BB. If it is somewhere close to 11" it probably started out life as a track frame. It has track rear dropouts. A british road frame would likely have a BB height of 10 1/2" to 10 3/4".

I certainly hope you don't let your LBS take off that Campy freewheel with some standard freewheel remover. Yes it will come off and yes they will most likely damage it and greatly reduce its value and make it harder to sell. Don't be impatient! Bikes used in time trials likely have the freewheels stuck on hard. The rider starts out with a lot of power from a stand still trying to get up to speed as quickly as possible and as a result really tightens the freewheel. The most value on that bike is in the freewheel and you want to be a good care taker.

If it is a track frame, it really makes the most sense to part out the bike. There will be a lot more interest in a track frame. I recommend you do the same with the rear wheel too. They are not a matching set with a high flange rear and a low flange front. They are not a pair. And the rear rim is heavy while the front is light. And the back wheel wasn't laced in a way I would want to buy it. Be sure and get that valuable freewheel off before you unlace the rim. It would be a huge mistake to leave the freewheel on and unlace the rim. A HUGE mistake.

You might not want to unlace the front wheel. It is really nice as it is. I really miss being able to buy light weight tubular wheels. Clinchers are heaver and ride harsher by comparison.

I'm going to repeat myself but wait to figure out who might have made that frame before you try to sell it. That will increase its value. A typical buyer won't be able to tell your friend's frame from a much cheaper S bend seat tube frame and you won't get interest for it. I'd guess the majority of buyers will judge the quality of the bike based on its ratty paint job.

Last edited by Doug Fattic; 05-07-22 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-08-22, 08:05 PM
fmradio516

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
It isn't hard for a decent framebuilder to braze on a derailleur tab to a dropout with brass and then file the combination smooth. It is possible that they did this after the frame was made and that is why the ends are painted silver. This might have begun life as a track bike that was then converted to be a time trial bike. The reason I think this is a track frame is because the head angle looks steep combined with very little fork rake. It makes no sense to make a road time trial frame with a steep head angle. That would make the steering more squirrelly. In a time trial you don't want to think about steering, you just want to go in a straight line. This is probably good news because your friend will get more if you sell it as a track frame than a hodge podge of parts making it a time trial bike.

Track frames have higher bottom bracket heights than road frames. Carefully get the bike to stand straight up without leaning over to the side and measure from the ground to the center of the BB. If it is somewhere close to 11" it probably started out life as a track frame. It has track rear dropouts. A british road frame would likely have a BB height of 10 1/2" to 10 3/4".

I certainly hope you don't let your LBS take off that Campy freewheel with some standard freewheel remover. Yes it will come off and yes they will most likely damage it and greatly reduce its value and make it harder to sell. Don't be impatient! Bikes used in time trials likely have the freewheels stuck on hard. The rider starts out with a lot of power from a stand still trying to get up to speed as quickly as possible and as a result really tightens the freewheel. The most value on that bike is in the freewheel and you want to be a good care taker.

If it is a track frame, it really makes the most sense to part out the bike. There will be a lot more interest in a track frame. I recommend you do the same with the rear wheel too. They are not a matching set with a high flange rear and a low flange front. They are not a pair. And the rear rim is heavy while the front is light. And the back wheel wasn't laced in a way I would want to buy it. Be sure and get that valuable freewheel off before you unlace the rim. It would be a huge mistake to leave the freewheel on and unlace the rim. A HUGE mistake.

You might not want to unlace the front wheel. It is really nice as it is. I really miss being able to buy light weight tubular wheels. Clinchers are heaver and ride harsher by comparison.

I'm going to repeat myself but wait to figure out who might have made that frame before you try to sell it. That will increase its value. A typical buyer won't be able to tell your friend's frame from a much cheaper S bend seat tube frame and you won't get interest for it. I'd guess the majority of buyers will judge the quality of the bike based on its ratty paint job.
Thanks Doug. I just measured and its actually 10-3/4", so not sure what the deal is.. Ideally, would probably just want to sell as-is to someone here or Paceline, given the situation and the need for the freewheel removal tool that probably none of the shops near me have. What would you say is fair? $500 for the whole deal?

Otherwise, I would probably get the frame sandblasted, and get the derailleur tabs and braze ons removed, and sell it as a track frame. I know if it were my size, id love an old S-curved track frame. Though a purist will probably tell me im nuts
Old 05-26-22, 10:54 AM
fmradio516

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No luck finding a campy freewheel tool. Does anyone know if a Regina would work?
Old 05-26-22, 02:18 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 2,542 Times in 1,065 Posts
No luck finding a campy freewheel tool. Does anyone know if a Regina would work?
No, you must have the correct remover.

Unlike almost every other brand, that are steel there, the Campy is aluminum alloy, and the wrong remover absolutely will ruin it.

Mark B
Old 05-26-22, 03:34 PM
fmradio516

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
No, you must have the correct remover.

Unlike almost every other brand, that are steel there, the Campy is aluminum alloy, and the wrong remover absolutely will ruin it.

Mark B
Thanks for the reply. Ok I guess ill be selling a freewheel + free wheelset!
Old 05-28-22, 10:53 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Ok I guess ill be selling a freewheel + free wheelset!
There must be someone who can lend you that remover. The person who might want to buy the freewheel is likely to have the puller, no?
Old 05-28-22, 05:38 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
Pic of correct tool for reference plz?
Old 05-28-22, 06:27 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 647 Posts

Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 05-28-22, 09:04 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Originally Posted by rhm
There must be someone who can lend you that remover.
I don't lend mine, but I will remove a Campy freewheel for anyone who wants to come to my house in Seattle.

Mark B
Old 05-29-22, 01:33 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Thanks Doug, beautiful tool and great photos.

Here's mine, shade-tree mechanic style. I had just the black steel "bit" or insert, not the handle. The bit doesn't give you much to hold it with for twisting, just those two holes (or one hole through both sides).

I had this bar of cold-rolled steel, way bigger than it needs to be but it was free (thanks Colin of Cyclefab!) So I brazed it.

Nickel alloy filler, very strong. Hope I didn't wreck the heat-treatment (if any) on the part originally. The handle is probably mild steel, not heat-treatable, but the Campy bit should be some kind of tool steel (I hope). That's the only part we care about the strength of, specifically the two prongs.

I quenched it from red, just below the solidus of the braze, which is hotter than bronze brazing. Approximately (I don't remember) degrees, kinda hot.

Then I polished it on the scotchbrite wheel a bit to show colors well, and re-heated it to temper it, well into the blue. I wanted to err on the side of more toughness than hardness. Time will tell, but I predict that at the rate this tool gets used, it'll outlast us all.

Mark B