Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike repair stand

Old 05-23-22, 12:18 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 891 Times in 438 Posts
I have the $120 BikeHand stand, the one with the L-shaped base and the 55 lb. capacity.

It would be a mistake to infer low-quality from the low price. It's a precision unit, and works well.
Old 05-23-22, 01:12 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
Park tools makes good stuff, but I don't feel their price is justified for their stands and a lot of their tools. I think at this point they are just "Living on a name" as many other stands and tools from other brands are just as good can be purchased for a lot less.
Old 05-23-22, 01:29 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,192 Times in 2,352 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Park tools makes good stuff, but I don't feel their price is justified for their stands and a lot of their tools. I think at this point they are just "Living on a name" as many other stands and tools from other brands are just as good can be purchased for a lot less.
The quality depends on the comparison. If you are talking about the cheaper screw down clamps like the 100-3D clamp, the cheap stands are probably equivalent. If you are talking about the linkage adjustable clamp like the 100-3C clamp, there is no comparison. I’ve used both as well as the spring clamp that is like the 100-3C and even the clamp like the one on the PCS-9.3. The 100-3C is well worth the extra money.

The other thing to consider is that the stands like the Bike Hand are blatant Chinese copies. They may or may not be as good but they are certainly stolen technology.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-23-22, 01:29 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
I can't answer your questions as posed. But, I can say that I still have a Park stand I bought in the late '80's and it's as good as the day I got it. I'm a Park fan for sure.
Old 05-23-22, 02:08 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Originally Posted by cyccommute
The other thing to consider is that the stands like the Bike Hand are blatant Chinese copies. They may or may not be as good but they are certainly stolen technology.
What a ridiculous statement. Are you an elitist?

A bicycle stand is stolen technology?

Last edited by Fredo76; 05-23-22 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-23-22, 02:16 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
my Park has lasted & lasted and I have no complaints ....................... but since i ride fixed my stand on stands is limited
Old 05-23-22, 02:24 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

To be fair, the Bike Hand stand did not work for my recumbent-riding friend. From where he needs to clamp it, the weight was too lop-sided.
Old 05-23-22, 02:29 PM
Jheitt

Bikes: 1950 Raleigh Clubman, Moose Porter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
No lie, I use 3 piece of well routed 2x4 screwed to a stud.... works a treat, I use a usual clamp/spreader clamp to clamp the top 2x4 down so infinite pressure adjust with one hand. only problem is it doesn't swivel haha
Old 05-23-22, 02:39 PM
prj71

A lot of everything we use and buy today is plagerized technology. That doesn't bother me one bit.

As one who works in a business (for 30 years) that deals in tooling, fixtures, and clamps I can tell with you good authority that neither of these is worth what they are asking.

https://www.parktool.com/product/pro...ategory=Clamps

https://www.parktool.com/product/adj...ategory=Clamps

Like I said...they are living on a name and will sell for what they can get for it and people will buy it thinking it is the best. What's the saying about a fool and his money are soon parted...

Last edited by prj71; 05-24-22 at 07:50 AM.
Likes For prj71:
Old 05-23-22, 03:07 PM
whipnet

Bikes: Fat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 20 Posts
I wouldn't go as far as saying Park Tool is the Snap-On of the bike industry, but they make a lot of their stuff in the US as well. (Not their stands, but most of their hand tools) for me in tools it all boils down to "You get what you pay for" I'm old enough to know to buy well and once.

Old 05-23-22, 05:44 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Fredo76
What a ridiculous statement. Are you an elitist?
What do you mean by elitist? If by that you mean someone who thinks that a company (or individual) that has invested lots of time and money into the development of a product or device ought to be able to make that device within the time of the patent without someone else coming along and stealing the idea, then I guess I’m an elitist.

A bicycle stand is stolen technology?
The Bike Hand stand is an absolute copy of the Park 10.3 stand. I’m relatively certain that the company that copied it didn’t pay to license the patent.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-23-22, 05:50 PM
cyccommute 

A lot of everything we use and buy today is plagerized technology. That doesn't bother me one bit.

As one who works in a business (for 30 years) that deals in tooling, fixtures, and clamps I can tell with you good authority that neither of these is worth what they are asking.

https://www.parktool.com/product/pro...ategory=Clamps

Like I said...they are living on a name and will sell for what they can get for it and people will buy it thinking is the best. What's the saying about a fool and his money are soon parted...
As someone who has used six 100-3Cs at a time in a co-op situation to work on 30 bikes per day once a week for 10 years (that 15,600 bikes or 2600 bikes per stand), I can tell you that they are absolutely worth the price. There were 3 more days per week of that kind of usage as well. No other bicycle stand clamp can stand up to that kind of usage. In all that time, we never broke any of the clamps. A lot of adjustment linkages were bent but not a single jaw ever broke.

Old 05-23-22, 06:32 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3125 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
The Bike Hand stand is an absolute copy of the Park 10.3 stand.
I don’t know if I’d say “absolute copy,” because I’m not sure what that means, but it sounds to be used synonymously with “exact copy,” which it is clearly isn’t. While superficially similar, the clamp is different, the folding head is different, the main tubing material and shape are different, the leg braces are shaped differently, max capacity is different…that’s a lot of essentially different stuff, and it’s part of the reason that I, despite being impressed by the general reviews of the Bike Hand stand on Amazon, decided to spend the premium for the Park 10.3, an American company which supports the bike community and has a track record of quality and ongoing product support.
Old 05-23-22, 07:18 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3482 Post(s)
Liked 2,903 Times in 1,764 Posts

Like I said...they are living on a name and will sell for what they can get for it and people will buy it thinking is the best. What's the saying about a fool and his money are soon parted...
I have no doubt you have a lot of experience in whatever your business is. I also have no doubt you’re clueless when it comes to the importance of a high quality bicycle stand in the maintenance and repair of bikes. As a former bike mechanic for a decade working in three shops, “I can tell you with authority” the 100-3c is absolutely worth its price, and to argue otherwise is a real-world example of the old adage, “better to remain silent and let people think you’re a fool than to open your mouth and....” well, you know the rest.
Old 05-24-22, 07:56 AM
prj71

The Bike Hand stand is an absolute copy of the Park 10.3 stand. I’m relatively certain that the company that copied it didn’t pay to license the patent.
The Park 10.3 Stand isn't patented.
Old 05-24-22, 08:02 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by smd4
I have no doubt you have a lot of experience in whatever your business is. I also have no doubt you’re clueless when it comes to the importance of a high quality bicycle stand in the maintenance and repair of bikes. As a former bike mechanic for a decade working in three shops, “I can tell you with authority” the 100-3c is absolutely worth its price, and to argue otherwise is a real-world example of the old adage, “better to remain silent and let people think you’re a fool than to open your mouth and....” well, you know the rest.
What experience do you and cyco have with the Bikehand stand to prove that it's inferior to the Park Tool stand?
Old 05-24-22, 08:36 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3482 Post(s)
Liked 2,903 Times in 1,764 Posts
What experience do you and cyco have with the Bikehand stand to prove that it's inferior to the Park Tool stand?
Sorry. I worked in a bike shop. We only used a professional stand. We would not have used anything but the Park.

What experience do you have to know that the Park is inferior? Have you ever worked professionally as a bike mechanic in a shop?

EDIT: Is the Bikehand stand you're referencing the one that you posted from Amazon? If so, obviously 1) it's not a professional stand, but perfectly fine for home use; and 2) you can see right off the bat the adjustment mechanism, combining the clamp and the screw adjustment, is a PITA. The Park 100-3c uses a separate screw adjustment that is far easier to use, separate from the clamp mechanism, when you're lifting different bikes up all day. It is far more robust. And well worth the money.

Also--the Park 100-3d is aluminum, and the Bikehand is plastic...

Last edited by smd4; 05-24-22 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-24-22, 08:42 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by smd4
Sorry. I worked in a bike shop. We only used a professional stand. We would not have used anything but the Park.

What experience do you have to know that the Park is inferior? Have you ever worked professionally as a bike mechanic in a shop?
I don't nor ever will work as bike mechanic in a shop.

However, I have used both stands. Enough to know that the Park isn't THAT superior to others.
Old 05-24-22, 08:44 AM
cyccommute 

You sure about that?

Old 05-24-22, 08:45 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

The point is that the BikeHand isn’t a copy of the 10.3, and the 10.3 is not an original design.

The same general design of the 10.3 (i.e. the design elements it shares with the BikeHand) pre-dates Park usage of those elements. Here’s a vid from 2009 showing the Spin Doctor Pro, which is +10 years before Park adopted the form of the 10.3 with the 2019 introduction of the 9.2 and 10.2 stands.

Old 05-24-22, 08:54 AM
prj71

Yes. The link says "Patent Pending" which means it isn't patented yet. Just that it has been submitted for patent. An item that is labeled as patent pending is not legally protected until the patent is issued.
Old 05-24-22, 09:00 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by chaadster
The point is that the BikeHand isn’t a copy of the 10.3, and the 10.3 is not an original design.

The same general design of the 10.3 (i.e. the design elements it shares with the BikeHand) pre-dates Park usage of those elements. Here’s a vid from 2009 showing the Spin Doctor Pro, which is +10 years before Park adopted the form of the 10.3 with the 2019 introduction of the 9.2 and 10.2 stands.
I’m not talking about the stand but mostly about the clamp. However, Park was using a similar portable stand to the 10.3 in PRS15 before 2006

Yes. The link says "Patent Pending" which means it isn't patented yet. Just that it has been submitted for patent. An item that is labeled a patent pending is not legally protected until the patent is issued.
Again, are you sure about that? A patent application…which is what “patent pending” means…does provide some legal protection. I’ve been involved in the process a few times.

That said, I do know that people violate those protections all the time and that the protections are largely meaningless in many areas of the world.

Old 05-24-22, 09:07 AM
prj71

I’m not talking about the stand but mostly about the clamp. However, Park was using a similar portable stand to the 10.3 in PRS15 before 2006

Again, are you sure about that? A patent application…which is what “patent pending” means…does provide some legal protection. I’ve been involved in the process a few times.

That said, I do know that people violate those protections all the time and that the protections are largely meaningless in many areas of the world.
Oh goodness. Directly from the link you just shared...

The patent-pending notice has no legal force in itself. The product or process is not legally protected at that point.

In any case. You buy the stand that you like and I'll buy the stand I like. In the end, I'll be the one with a $170 more in my pocket to buy more bike goodies and I'll with a stand that works just as good for my home bike needs.
Old 05-24-22, 09:10 AM
cyccommute 

I don't nor ever will work as bike mechanic in a shop.

However, I have used both stands. Enough to know that the Park isn't THAT superior to others.
I haven’t used that particular stand…why would I, I have a couple of Park stands…but I have used other stands and never found any that work as well as the Park. The other issue is with replacement parts if something does break on the stand. I can go to Park and get parts for the spring clamp for my pre96 PRS-6. I even got the more robust adjustable link clamp to upgrade both of my Park stands without issues. Can you say the same about the Bike Hand stand or any other cheaper stand, for that matter?

Old 05-24-22, 09:12 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

The BikeHand clamp mechanism is completely dissimilar to the Park 10.3 mechanism, and is not an “absolute copy” either.

For one, whereas the Park 10.3 uses a cup and cone friction system for infinite rotational adjustment of the jaws, the BikeHand uses interlocking teeth to fix rotation at set points.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.