Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Titanium cold setting

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Titanium cold setting

Old 05-23-22, 04:52 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
Titanium cold setting

Grandson loves to ride my Litespeed Firenze when he visits and he got a too good price on one he could not pass up. Rear wheel tracking was just off the NDS stay, 4mm off center measured at the stay bridge. Read some pro and con posts here and as I have done steel cold setting and I could secure both stays I gave it a go using my home made hanger straightening tool as a gauge and bending tool. Two photos and today's ride confirmed it is good. Don't think it much more difficult that steel, would not hesitate to do a hanger however can imagine opening up an older frame to 130 would be an adventure without a frame table.

Old 05-23-22, 07:47 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,791 Times in 2,270 Posts
This might be better posted to the frame builders forum...

All I see are drop outs that might not be parallel with each other. Their faces might be well centered WRT the main triangle, but we don't now that form these photos. Have you done the "string" test? Do you have wheels that are properly dished and true to use as gages? Do you have "H" type tools for drop out alignment? $mm of off centered rear end would be easy to see with a Park *** tool. Andy

*** is Frame Alignment Gage
Old 05-23-22, 08:08 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
ti can seem haunted when you try to alter it, even something as simple as a bent hanger. That sort of thing is probably for the frame manufacturer, or at least a frame builder experienced with ti. I say "haunted" because I have "straightened" a hanger on a ti frame, only to come back to the shop the next day and find it right back to it's pre-straightened (aka bent) state..... Which begs the question, "why didn't it just go back to it's aligned state after being being damaged, if it's going to pull that "memory" stuff, lol.

Not to make light of the situation, but ti is quite different than other frame materials in terms of working it during the building of the frame and also post-manufacture, regarding repair.
Old 05-24-22, 07:49 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
This might be better posted to the frame builders forum...

All I see are drop outs that might not be parallel with each other. Their faces might be well centered WRT the main triangle, but we don't now that form these photos. Have you done the "string" test? Do you have wheels that are properly dished and true to use as gages? Do you have "H" type tools for drop out alignment? $mm of off centered rear end would be easy to see with a Park *** tool. Andy

*** is Frame Alignment Gage
Correct, not disclosed in sale, dropouts were not square. String within 1/2 mm although I have little faith or understanding of it as Andy Gilmour in Tucson straightened a tweeked Reynolds 753 (Reynolds engineers said can not be cold set) frame and fork that is a beautiful ride with string way off. Used my nicest wheels, 1/2mm lateral and almost twice that radial. I would love to borrow a Park dropout alignment tool to see if the bolts I use work as well as I think they do. Thanks for the good point after an unknown crash or storage mishap not just focus on the obvious issue, I sould have everything checked. Andy has a Marchetti so he can check the frame alignment for us.
Old 05-24-22, 07:56 AM
easyupbug 

Originally Posted by well biked
ti can seem haunted when you try to alter it, even something as simple as a bent hanger. That sort of thing is probably for the frame manufacturer, or at least a frame builder experienced with ti. I say "haunted" because I have "straightened" a hanger on a ti frame, only to come back to the shop the next day and find it right back to it's pre-straightened (aka bent) state..... Which begs the question, "why didn't it just go back to it's aligned state after being being damaged, if it's going to pull that "memory" stuff, lol.

Not to make light of the situation, but ti is quite different than other frame materials in terms of working it during the building of the frame and also post-manufacture, regarding repair.
Another good point as I don't really know the history, repair attempts, etc. It's a little big for me but will get some milage on it before I give it back. Thank you.
Old 05-24-22, 09:07 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,791 Times in 2,270 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Correct, not disclosed in sale, dropouts were not square. String within 1/2 mm although I have little faith or understanding of it as Andy Gilmour in Tucson straightened a tweeked Reynolds 753 (Reynolds engineers said can not be cold set) frame and fork that is a beautiful ride with string way off. Used my nicest wheels, 1/2mm lateral and almost twice that radial. I would love to borrow a Park dropout alignment tool to see if the bolts I use work as well as I think they do. Thanks for the good point after an unknown crash or storage mishap not just focus on the obvious issue, I sould have everything checked. Andy has a Marchetti so he can check the frame alignment for us.
Yes, knowing what one is really measuring/gaging is an important aspect of understanding the whole picture. The string test assumes that one's rear wheel is also dished on center between the axle ends. And it's the rim that one is really wanting to be centered and straight WRT the frame. There are some bikes that have purposely off center drop outs and also off centered dish.

But your story of the 753 frame just shows that a straight riding bike is not a result of only one alignment aspect. As well as that many riders don't even notice some "offness" in their bike's tracking. I would love to get Andy's take on that 753 job to better understand what went on and what resulted.

As to cold setting 753 and Ti. it's not that it can't be done, or is never done, but the efforts are very high and the risk of something going wrong way expensive. It's far less risky and more cost effective to make the frame straight than bend it so. Andy