Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Downtube shifters conversion

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-26-22, 12:51 PM
calebteich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 1980s Peugeot road bike with downtube shifters. I hate using them and I find them really finicky. I was planning on doing a bit of an overhaul anyways including a new rear derailleur, cassette, chain etc. I was wondering if it would be fairly simple to convert everything all at once or if it will still be a pain? I would probably pair the DR with the shifters anyway.
Old 05-26-22, 12:56 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 2,816 Times in 1,716 Posts
Do you want to use integrated shift/brake levers (what are found on most road bikes today), or bar-end shifters?
Old 05-26-22, 01:06 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 739 Posts
If you're asking about the downtube cable stops for brake/shifters, bar ends, then there are a few options. I like the Shimano ones the best and this is one of the cheaper sets. SHIMANO STI Road Bike Downtube Shifter Housing Stops Barrel Adjuster Concave Set | eBay They also make a more expensive version that's marginally better and make sure you get the correct version..flat or concave to fit your frame and bosses.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 05-26-22, 02:37 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by calebteich
I have a 1980s Peugeot road bike with downtube shifters. I hate using them and I find them really finicky. I was planning on doing a bit of an overhaul anyways including a new rear derailleur, cassette, chain etc. I was wondering if it would be fairly simple to convert everything all at once or if it will still be a pain? I would probably pair the DR with the shifters anyway.
Nothing about this sounds simple, or inexpensive.
You're looking at a lot of compatibility issues you don't even know about yet.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 05-26-22, 02:47 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
Like Diablo said, you're looking at opening a can of worms. I have a vintage Giant that I really like with stem shifters that I've been threatening to convert to STI Brifters for a long time. There's too many reasons for not having done it (yet). With that said, lots of people have done it. Depends on how deep your pockets and how determined you are. Sometimes it makes more sense to look at a newer used bike (got those too) Good luck,
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 05-26-22, 06:23 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
I don't know about compatibility issues. Does an 80s Puegeot have French threaded parts still? If they're English treaded, other than a possible need to spread the rear triangle to 130mm from whatever it is to accommodate 8+ speed wheel hubs and cassettes, there won't be any compatibility issues, just cost of new parts and every "modern" component can be fitted.

If French treaded, both headsets and bottom brackets are available from places, Velo Orange for one. A 1" threaded headset and quill stem can be easily changed to modern threadless stems if needed - or left as is with the current handlebars or any number of good 1" handlebars that are still available.

A new French bottom bracket will probably be square taper, but there are plenty good cranksets of various gearing, that are square taper and the "disadvantages" of the older bottom brackets and cranksets are generally not a factor at all for the recreational cyclist. Or even racers in fairly recent times past.

If the BB is English treaded, practically any current crank and its threaded bottom bracket can be fitted. If the current BB is ok and the gearing of the current crankset works for the rider, no need to change them at all. They will work fine with new shifters and derailleur.

I don't mean to trivialize about the cost of new parts. A complete upgrade, is a complete upgrade whether it's a 20 year old bike or a 40 year old bike, the cost would be the same. I was addressing compatibility which might or might not need to be addressed, but it is easily addressed either way.

As to the original post - adapting downtube shifter bosses to cable stops is easy, they're readily available.

Last edited by Camilo; 05-26-22 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-26-22, 11:02 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by calebteich
I have a 1980s Peugeot road bike with downtube shifters. I hate using them and I find them really finicky.
Rule 5