Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

56 cm Sloped tt vs 58 cm straight tt

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 06-17-13, 08:27 AM
shapiros

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I currently ride a 56 CM Specialized Langster ('08 London because I used to think I was cool). I'm planning on selling that bike for a few reasons (mainly I want a steel frame with a non-sloping top tube that will accept fatter tires since the roads near me are horrific) and building up a new bike with Fyxation's Eastside Track Frameset. I'm a little stuck with what to do about sizing, however. My Langster seems really small; I'm about 6'1 with pretty short legs (31'' inseam) and a long torso and so it feels like I'm always way out in front over the bike when I am riding. I mainly ride around town and to and from work (about two miles on flat ground, so nothing major) so the ability to throw the bike around isn't a big deal to me. I'm much more interested in having a comfortable bike that I can ride at a relatively relaxed pace for long periods of time without feeling like I'm really cramped (I'm throwing a coaster brake and porteur bars on the new bike, so definitely not built for speed).

I've purchased both the 55cm and 58cm versions of the Eastside Track Frameset and don't really know which one I should build up. I haven't had too many bikes, and so I'm not sure how the sloped top tube of the Langster translates when measured against the more traditional geometry of the Eastside Track. I've copied the geometry of all three bikes below; if anyone has any ideas about which might be best for me I'd really appreciate any insight.

Specialized Langster 56 CM Geometry

Top Tube Length (Horizontal) 565 mm
Seat Tube (C-Top of top tube) 520 mm
Head Tube Length 180 mm
Heat Tube Angle 73.0 ° 
Seat Tube Angle 73.25 º   
Bottom Bracket Drop 69 mm
Chain Stay Length 405 mm
Wheel Base 991 mm
Standover Height 786 mm
Fork Rake 43 mm

Fyxation 58 CM Geometry

Top Tube (effective) 580 mm
Top Tube (actual) 580 mm
Seat Tube (C-Top of top tube) 580 mm
Head Tube Length 159 mm
Heat Tube Angle 73.0 ° 
Seat Tube Angle 73.5 º   
Bottom Bracket Drop 60 mm
Chain Stay Length 400 mm
Wheel Base 993 mm
Standover Height 836 mm
Fork Rake 38 mm
Fork Length 380 mm
Seat Post Ø 27.2 mm
Headset Style 1 1/8 Threadless
Bottom Bracket 68mm English
Rear Hub Spacing 120 mm
Material 4130 Cr-mo Frame / 4130 Cr-mo Fork

Fyxation 55 CM Geometry

Top Tube (effective) 560 mm
Top Tube (actual) 560 mm
Seat Tube (C-Top of top tube) 540 mm
Head Tube Length 130 mm
Heat Tube Angle 73.0 ° 
Seat Tube Angle 73.5 º   
Bottom Bracket Drop 60 mm
Chain Stay Length 400 mm
Wheel Base 979 mm
Standover Height 809 mm
Fork Rake 38 mm
Fork Length 380 mm
Seat Post Ø 27.2 mm
Headset Style 1 1/8 Threadless
Bottom Bracket 68mm English
Rear Hub Spacing 120 mm
Material 4130 Cr-mo Frame / 4130 Cr-mo Fork
Old 06-17-13, 08:42 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 222 Posts
Horizontal top tube and effective top tube are basically the same thing. Actual top tube in sloping frames is of no importance at all.
So the langster horizontal or effective top tube (htt or ett) is 565mm which seems really short for your height (especially if you have short legs)
The fyxation 55cm has a htt of 560 which is even shorter so definitely no that.
The 58cm has a htt of 580mm which to me seems pretty good.
There other things that affect the actual reach to the handlebar like seat tube angle and head tube angle but all the frames are so similiar in those regards that i'm not gonna go there.

Build up the 58. You get the reach you need (15mm more than the langster). Also put a decent length stem on it (none of these 30-50mm fixie ridiculous mess up yor handling stems. 90-130mm is good)
Old 06-17-13, 10:39 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
Horizontal top tube and effective top tube are basically the same thing. Actual top tube in sloping frames is of no importance at all.
Nice to know - See guys purchase a slanting top tube for the looks then slamming their bars down - Not really considering the slant just makes one more factor not to deal with....
Old 06-17-13, 12:24 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Nice to know - See guys purchase a slanting top tube for the looks then slamming their bars down - Not really considering the slant just makes one more factor not to deal with....
There are actually a few good sides to slanting top tubes, even though the measuring still happens with ett and htt.
If the seat tube "mouth" is lower then more seat post is showing. This then means that you are sitting on a longer steel/carbon pole which then (I know you are guessing it) flexes and absorbs a bit more bumps and vibration.
Also it would seem that the compact geometry (sloping frames) allows for a frame to fit a larger segment of the population and more different body proportions.
Old 06-17-13, 07:27 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Make sure, when you build the bike up (58cm, yes), that you get a seatpost that has a little setback to the clamp; not all have it, and that will give you a touch more adjustment for that longer torso.
Old 06-17-13, 07:59 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
with same size wheel/tires ..

The top of the front of the top tube to the ground similar?

obviously the rear is lower, seat tube shorter on one..
Old 06-18-13, 07:16 AM
shapiros

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
Make sure, when you build the bike up (58cm, yes), that you get a seatpost that has a little setback to the clamp; not all have it, and that will give you a touch more adjustment for that longer torso.
I actually purchased the Velo Orange Grand Cru long setback seatpost so I'm really glad to hear your advice. I ended up getting a 70mm stem so sort of in the middle of what you suggest but if it's too small I will go bigger.