Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's this bike worth????

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-12, 01:24 AM
Jay317

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

2005 Trek SLR 1500 60cm:

Alpha SLR aluminum frame
Bontrager Carbon fork
Aluminum dual pivot brakes
Shimano 105 ST1 Dual control levers
Shimano 105 Front Derailleur
Shimano Ultegra Rear Derailleur
Bontrager crank
Bontrager Carbon seat post
Cateye computer

This bike has a fresh tune up and very little miles a guy has it for sale and I was just wondering what would you guys pay for it
Old 05-30-12, 02:50 AM
Muffin Man
:)

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, Specialized Rockhopper, Norco Fluid FS1

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
pics?
Old 05-30-12, 04:27 AM
Capecodder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
1/2 or less than it sold for new, depending on condition.
Old 05-30-12, 06:24 AM
v70cat

Bikes: S5 VWD & SL-7 S works Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$500+/~
Old 05-30-12, 07:09 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome To Bike Forms, Jay!

That 2005 Trek SLR 1500 could have extensive mileage on it. How would you really know? There's no way to verify what the seller is saying. Since aluminum has stress fatigue issues, one needs to have some concern.

What if the bike actually has thousands of miles on it? ....What if it was used for downhill mountain bike racing for the summer of '07? ...Without knowing its history, you're gambling?

However, you can still make a fair purchase, as long as these things are considered in the final sale, and as long as you make an accurate assessment of the value of the components.

So whatever you think you could get for the used components on the free market plus whatever you're willing to gamble on the frame, sounds about right to me.

Let's see...For a seven year old aluminum frame, I'll wager about a hundred bucks!

Last edited by SlimRider; 05-30-12 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-30-12, 07:23 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
^ Any frame of any material can fail. However, the odds that a 7 year old aluminum frame is close to failing from metal fatigue are deminimis. If the frame appears to be in good shape, no dings, no oxidation, and no visible cracks, the likelyhood that the frame is going to fail in the next 20 years are about the same as the odds for a new aluminum frame.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-30-12, 07:49 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
^ Any frame of any material can fail. However, the odds that a 7 year old aluminum frame is close to failing from metal fatigue are deminimis. If the frame appears to be in good shape, no dings, no oxidation, and no visible cracks, the likelyhood that the frame is going to fail in the next 20 years are about the same as the odds for a new aluminum frame.
To what odds are you referring? Do you mean to say that there are actual numerical data that we could share in order to intelligently discuss this matter further? Could you please provide a link to this data, if it actually exists?

Otherwise, if we go by science and the actual properties contained by the elements and their alloys, we would have to abide by the studies which been conducted by hundreds of scientists for well over the past century.

I have provided links within my signature space for anyone who's interested to study. I will also leave you with what at least one of the industry's manufacturers thinks of the various frame materials, given their varied warranties: https://motobecane.com/warranty/
Old 05-30-12, 07:57 AM
JustinNY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2007 trek 1500 which I bought from a guy on CL for $650 about 2 months ago.

He claimed to only have 1800 miles on it, though I had no way of verifying.

I believe I paid about $50 more than the actual value of the bike, but its peak buying season and modern road bikes with aluminum frame/carbon fork, and 105 or greater components were flying off craigslist within hours of being posted.
Old 05-30-12, 08:09 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider
To what odds are you referring? Do you mean to say that there are actual numerical data that we could share in order to intelligently discuss this matter further? Could you please provide a link to this data, if it actually exists?
For actual testing data, there's this: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/E...tigue_test.htm

Note that the Carbon and the Aluminum frames did better than your precious steel frames.

For anecdotal data, Canondale has been building high quality Aluminum frames for about 30 years now. There are still tons of 10-20 year old C'dales going just fine.

I get that Aluminum, unlike Steel and Ti, does not have a fatigue limit, so every cycle is theoretically bringing the frame one step closer to failure.

However, Frame builders working with Aluminum also have understood this for quite some time, and build Aluminum frames with this in mind.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-30-12, 08:10 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
While it's true that aluminum is by nature more prone to stress and fatigue failures than steel, those tendencies can be mitigated by good design. To demonstrate, just look at an airplane. They're typically made of aluminum and are subjected to a whole lot more flex and stress than my bicycle frame. Ever look out the window when you're flying and notice how many feet those wing tips deflect under load and turbulence? But do they become brittle and break off? How many 60-year-old B-52's have fallen out of the sky lately?
Old 05-30-12, 08:32 AM
v70cat

Bikes: S5 VWD & SL-7 S works Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OMG Slimrider is using this thread to talk down Alum frames! You can't be serious!
Old 05-30-12, 10:09 AM
frisky99

Bikes: Miyata 610 , Schwinn circuit, Bianchi C2C, Quattro Assi , 87 Trek 1500, Felt F1X, Burley duet, LHT and a few more

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
look at this site . I think the $'s are on the high side and know one knows what these bikes actually sell for.
I paid $250 for the same bike , but it wasn't pristine by any stretch . Has been very dependable with a little cleaning and tuning and the components work very well . Used bike prices are all over the board. If there are no visable cracks or dents I wouldn't worry about the frame . You usually can tell how a bike has been treated by its overall condition.

https://priceonomics.com/search/?q=2005+Trek+1500