Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What a long, strange trip it has been...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What a long, strange trip it has been...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-18, 12:16 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by jeirvine
Killer. That is some cleeaaan brazing. Just for fun, I'd love to see a ca '73 Raleigh Gran Sport or International done up like this.
Isn't it? Just like both Colnagos and a Guerciotti I have seen in bare metal. But, yeah, I too would like to see something with a little more "excess material", and with the clearcoat you could see the cracks forming early, too

DD
Old 09-07-18, 12:18 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by thumpism
I expected a Gary Fisher Grateful Dead bike. Yours was better.
Thank you - and I have to agree

DD
Old 09-07-18, 12:23 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by rccardr
That's very nice, Jeff. Yellow accents blend in well with the brass.
Put on that big free wheel and come ride with us at Eroica in April!
I gave the yellow a try, but I think it needs to go with something darker. Yellow with black would be ideal. I went back to basic black. I do, however, have some real-world cogs for it and will be fitting that FW soon. For now, however, I wanted to give some miles to this Regina I got from @AndyK at the Wrench and Ride.

Honestly, I am just not that into the gravel stuff as I once was. Part of it is trying to provide my back with the smoothest pavement, but the other is that - for me - it's just not as enjoyable as a road ride. I can always cheer from the sidelines or sag (like Palouse), tho

DD
Old 09-07-18, 03:45 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Great Story. Beautiful frame restoration, so beautiful.

I kept an early Rauler bare steel for a couple of years, because it had the cleanest brazing, (after my Ron Cooper) I'd found, and looked so badass. It was much "steelier" looking and raw, than your Casati. The couple of post '75 Colnagos I've stripped were not terribly clean, but had been sanded just smooth enough for painting, which certainly fit their rep at the time. My limited experience with american builders' frames showed very clean brazing. The Rauler was in a very dry (dehumidified) basement,which I think made more difference than anything I did. Since moving it developed a "patina" and is now getting prepped for paint.

Love the build too, of course...
Old 09-07-18, 03:49 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Beautiful, so beautiful.

I kept an early Rauler bare steel for a couple of years, because it had the cleanest brazing, (after my Ron Cooper) I'd found, and looked so badass. It was much "steelier" looking and raw, than your Casati, a result of using naval jelly instead of blasting. The couple of post '75 Colnagos I've stripped were not terribly clean, but had been sanded just smooth enough for painting, which certainly fit their rep at the time. My limited experience with american builders' frames showed very clean brazing. The Rauler was in a very dry (dehumidified) basement,which I think made more difference than anything I did. Since moving it developed a "patina" and is now getting prepped for paint.

Old 09-07-18, 04:15 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
It's been really cool seeing this bike transition from the *ahem* patina it had when you first brought it down to the Atelier to now. When I rolled up to it at the ferry dock Monday it didn't even occur to me that this might be the Casati until I saw the decals.

I really like how clean the brass is around the lugs. It looks like near-perfect lug lining.
Old 09-07-18, 06:22 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 272 Posts
Stunning! What’d you use for the paint fill? It has a nice flat black look, especially as shown on the shift levers.

Originally Posted by USAZorro
All it's missing is a subtle Grateful Dead logo.
It is a steelie.
Old 09-07-18, 06:46 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Sir_Name
Stunning! What’d you use for the paint fill? It has a nice flat black look, especially as shown on the shift levers.

As per my "signature", I used decanted Tamiya spray (flat black), brushed on. On the frame, the details were painted in, then cleaned up with Goof Off before the clear went down. I purposely used flat black on the component details to match the flat clear, especially as the parts are shiny on this one and not dulled down as on the Colnago.

DD
Old 09-07-18, 06:48 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Last ride 76
Great Story. Beautiful frame restoration, so beautiful.

I kept an early Rauler bare steel for a couple of years, because it had the cleanest brazing, (after my Ron Cooper) I'd found, and looked so badass. It was much "steelier" looking and raw, than your Casati. The couple of post '75 Colnagos I've stripped were not terribly clean, but had been sanded just smooth enough for painting, which certainly fit their rep at the time. My limited experience with american builders' frames showed very clean brazing. The Rauler was in a very dry (dehumidified) basement,which I think made more difference than anything I did. Since moving it developed a "patina" and is now getting prepped for paint.

Thank you. I wish I'd done a bit better job about ensuring I'd cleaned off the frame better. This "patina" developed fast! Hopefully it won't go too far...

I have to believe a US builder's frame in bare steel would look fantastic. If a production frame can look like this, you know?

DD
Old 09-07-18, 06:52 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Andy_K
It's been really cool seeing this bike transition from the *ahem* patina it had when you first brought it down to the Atelier to now. When I rolled up to it at the ferry dock Monday it didn't even occur to me that this might be the Casati until I saw the decals.

I really like how clean the brass is around the lugs. It looks like near-perfect lug lining.
It might have been fun to replicate the original metallic pink, but going this way was the best choice. I got it on the road quicker (relatively so, that is!) and the mods make it a better bike - for me, anyhow. And yeah, the brass does sorta give the appearance of lug-lining, huh?

DD
Old 09-07-18, 08:05 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
That is an effing cool bike, @Drillium Dude. Instantly one of my favorites around here.

And Dalton, my six-year-old son, likes the cat.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 09-08-18, 12:48 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
That is an effing cool bike, @Drillium Dude. Instantly one of my favorites around here.

And Dalton, my six-year-old son, likes the cat.
Thank you very much - and it sounds like your son has good taste, too

DD
Old 09-08-18, 07:20 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Dude, I'd totally forgotten about that! So it was 2014 when I finally sold the frame, then. Makes sense - that's when I got back from DG and began my life of leisure

DD
You know, I was very close to pulling the trigger back then, and looking at how beautiful it came out makes me wish I would have taken it. But honestly, I know deep down it wouldn't have looked this good, because I never would have thought of stripping it down to bare metal. It really looks rough and tough, and just plain cool.

Good luck. I hope the clear coat holds up and you get many happy miles on her!
Old 09-09-18, 12:10 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

I put on the NOS Concor, then did 40 miles or so down to Issaquah via West Lake Sammamish Blvd. I have had this saddle for years and years and years. So what was I waiting for? I'm glad to have finally broken it in.

BB is Italian threaded, but at some point over the years the shell has become 68mm. I only discovered this when I was tightening down the lockring on the adjustable cup and saw 2mm standing proud of the lockring's outer face. Yeah, that bugged me and my OCD, but really it was comical because I'd had an entire BB but the spindle (which I sourced from Bob Freeman) in 70mm and then I find it's not going to work for this shell. Anyhoo, I found a 68mm and it arrived today as well as a pair of black Christophe toestraps which complete the silver/black theme.

Once I've got the last couple bits on I'll shoot a few more pics for posterity. Hoping the special seat bolt comes in on Monday.

DD
Old 09-09-18, 03:45 PM
mikemowbz

Bikes: Are several.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 21 Posts
Stunner, and great to see this project come to full fruition!

As others have commented, that's some clean brazing uncovered there.

I like how black fill on post, crank spider, shifters ties it all together in an understated way.

Sounds like the ride lives up to the 'look', too.
Old 09-09-18, 09:26 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
This Casati thread got me reading for quite a while!

Cool bike I have to say, very well done!
Old 09-09-18, 09:53 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by mikemowbz
Stunner, and great to see this project come to full fruition!

As others have commented, that's some clean brazing uncovered there.

I like how black fill on post, crank spider, shifters ties it all together in an understated way.

Sounds like the ride lives up to the 'look', too.
I keep being surprised when I get the paint off these bikes. To me it's pretty amazing for a production frame; almost like it was tidied up enough that it would look fine w/out paint. And, yeah, I really am enjoying the ride. It fits really well - I think I need to stay on my 57cm frames and save the 56s for the odd short jaunt as I age

DD
Old 09-09-18, 09:54 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by dddd
This Casati thread got me reading for quite a while!

Cool bike I have to say, very well done!
Good deal! Always nice to provide some distraction and/or entertainment

Thanks!

DD
Old 09-10-18, 06:26 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Got my seatpost bolt from Casati today:

Drive side is a standard 8mm hex while the non-drive side is basically a wedge with a serrated edge. The serrations help snug it down and I found the best way to crank it down was to push down hard axially and at a slight angle. It had slipped some 1/4" a couple times with my kludged-up version, so I was very happy to receive the correct item today.

@Wildwood stopped by to do some horse-trading and general bike-geeking for a couple/three hours today. He brought me cookies

I have the brand-spankin'-new black Christophe toe straps on the bike, too, so as of today the build is 100% complete. Weather is looking like rain, or I'd take it outside for some final pics. Tomorrow...fingers crossed.

DD
Old 07-07-19, 10:11 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

One year on and the finish is holding up really well. It's not been in the rain, but there are some small rust blooms on the BB shell and along the drive side chainstay from sweat. Patina or beausage, take your pick. One couldn't say abused yet

Still love the fit of this bike best of all. I put on a pair of 23mm Panaracer Pacelas I got free from my pal Jacob (who just celebrated his 60th yesterday) and they feel really nice. I might just take this on a jaunt up the Iron Horse Trail and through the Hyak Tunnel in a week or so with these tires. I also have a pair of 28mm Specialized Turbo LS vintage tires on the way that are probably going onto this bike - I think there's room and they'll do even better on the gravel. I haven't given up on the gravel idea yet, and if I am happy with the 28s I'll probably reserve this bike for that type of ride.

Here it is as of yesterday in Redmond at the halfway point of my short 20-miler:

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 07-08-19 at 12:49 AM.
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 07-08-19, 06:07 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Welcome back aboard, Senior Chief. Good to see you back amongst the groupetto here.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 07-08-19, 07:47 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Cool story/adventure with the bike! She looks gorgeous as is. If those 28’s work out, you’ll be set to come back to Cino! IIRC, I think there’s a watch along a roadside waiting for you to come back...
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 07-09-19, 09:21 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,407 Posts
Regarding the protection of the frame, there are two schools of thought regarding finishes - a hard, barrier-type finish and a soft, treatable type of finish. Examples of the first would be a clear powdercoat, a poly finish, or even a hard shellac. The second finish would be more of an oil type finish - so, linseed oil, wax, etc.

I have a raw steel frame that I cold blued and then was looking for ways to protect it, so I did a lot of research. What I found was that the hard finishes always looked stunning, but never lasted - they would inevitably get rust worming under the finish, and when the first nick or crack formed, that was it - compromised.

I decided to go the second route, and used a product that was designed for the protection of raw untreated castings of undercarriage parts on classic cars. It goes on with heat, and dries as a hard, clear film that helps protect the metal. I imagine a combo approach of something like boiled linseed oil, then something like this protective film, and then the occasional wax treatments, would be excellent protection for the frame over time.

What I like about it is that while it does take more maintenance than something like a powdercoat, it is forever touch-up-able, and you can spot-treat and never have to worry about nicks, scratches, or gouges in paint or a finish.

Looks like your project is holding up great, and if you are looking for a bit more protection in the years to come, I'd check out some of the options listed above. Good luck!