Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding on sidewalks

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Riding on sidewalks

Old 06-03-20, 04:16 AM
Snow Dog

Bikes: 1999 Specialized Crossroads

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Riding on sidewalks

What's the proper etiquette for riding a bicycle on sidewalks?

The reason I ask is because I generally try to stay on the road but there are certain stretches of roads that are busy and have cars parked on the side of the road. I use the sidewalk in those cases but fortunately, where I ride I only need to use sidewalks for a short distance.

Yesterday I was using the sidewalk for about a 1/8 mile stretch. A young lady walked out of an alley about 50 feet in front of me and walked toward me. I didn't have anywhere to go or time to get out of her way. We ended up passing each other in opposite directions on the sidewalk.

I felt like I was in the wrong.

I don't want to be that guy that gives cyclists a bad name. Was I out of line here?
Likes For Snow Dog:
Old 06-03-20, 04:28 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Snow Dog

The reason I ask is because I generally try to stay on the road but there are certain stretches of roads that are busy and have cars parked on the side of the road. I use the sidewalk in those cases but fortunately, where I ride I only need to use sidewalks for a short distance.

Yesterday I was using the sidewalk for about a 1/8 mile stretch. A young lady walked out of an alley about 50 feet in front of me and walked toward me. I didn't have anywhere to go or time to get out of her way. We ended up passing each other in opposite directions on the sidewalk.

I don't want to be that guy that gives cyclists a bad name. Was I out of line here?
In some locations riding on the sidewalks might be prohibited by statute. When on a sidewalk I ride next to the "land edge" unless passing pedestrians. When approaching I ring my bell and will pass using the street side whether it be a face to face OR coming up from behind interaction. I also slow down.
Old 06-03-20, 04:44 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Pedestrians have the right of way. Proceed with the knowledge that every intersection, driveway, doorway etc. is a potential day or life wrecker.
Old 06-03-20, 04:46 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Slow down and give as wide a berth as possible. I only use my bell if there is not enough room to pass safely and the pedestrians don't see me coming (from behind or looking other ways if coming towards me). I feel that sometimes ringing the bell while on the sidewalk could be taken as arrogance, like "move out of my way!".
Likes For subgrade:
Old 06-03-20, 04:48 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts
I’m the intruder when cycling on a sidewalk. I generally avoid them.

In my area they are mostly 4 or 5 feet wide. I yield to any oncoming traffic by either stopping or pulling off the sidewalk.

When 8 feet or wider there’s enough room to proceed, being alert for weirdness.

Yesterday a pedestrian was walking while texting and did not look up for about 40 feet, even when crossing a street. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Likes For flangehead:
Old 06-03-20, 04:51 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
Where I grew up it was illegal to ride on the sidewalks. Old lady called the police on me and she never used them except to cross and get I her car. But when I was in Munich Germany I saw they have bike ways in the center of the sidewalks just for bikes. If your walking on it you can get hit. Looked like the walkway to be until I learned.
Old 06-03-20, 05:00 AM
dfrench52 

Bikes: Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Why not dismount and walk your bike for that short distance?
Likes For dfrench52:
Old 06-03-20, 05:18 AM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by Snow Dog

The sidewalk is for pedestrians. Bikers have the same obligation to walkers that cars have on roads to bikers.
Likes For Tony P.:
Old 06-03-20, 05:30 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
As noted, in some places sidewalk cycling is prohibited by law. If you are going to cycle on the sidewalk, drop down to pedestrian speeds when you encounter other users. That or dismount. If a family with kids in a double wide stroller approach, dismounting and moving off the sidewalk may be the right thing to do. Walk is the operative word in sidewalk. When you aren't walking it's your duty to have safe and courteous interactions with users who are walking.
Old 06-03-20, 05:45 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Check the rules for your locality. Most places it's wrong to cycle on the sidewalk but there are exceptions. People coming out of driveways and cross streets do not expect to encounter anyone faster than walking speed so it is dangerous for the cyclist, even if legal.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-03-20, 05:53 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 430 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...sidewalks.html
Old 06-03-20, 06:02 AM
Orkun KnighTR34

Bikes: 2016 Kron TX 150

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
In my opininon riding on sidewalks is OK on main streets with high traffic and without cycle lanes for children and ladies. Otherwise bicycle is a vehicle, it has to be operated on roads. Sometimes I see MTB or BMX riders on sidewalks doing some bunny hops and stunt jumps when slalloming behind pedestrians, to do them high riding skill level is needed, they can cope with traffic with that riding skill so doing stunt rides on sidewalks is completely dangerous and rude.
Old 06-03-20, 06:27 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
According to some of the drivers in cars that yell at me out the window the sidewalks are where we are suppose to ride. Who knew?

Likes For hillyman:
Old 06-03-20, 06:42 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman
According to some of the drivers in cars that yell at me out the window the sidewalks are where we are suppose to ride. Who knew?
No doubt the same gasholes who drive up and park their maintenance trucks on the MUPs....
Old 06-03-20, 07:08 AM
cyrexking

Bikes: Dahon vitesse D8

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I try to avoid the sidewalk as much as i can, people give me weird look when i do which is normal considering its their right way
Old 06-03-20, 07:20 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
Old 06-03-20, 07:30 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
I almost exclusively cycle on sidewalks. To much traffic. All the sidewalks are ramped around here.

I think this is a common sense thread?
Likes For StarBiker:
Old 06-03-20, 07:33 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
I almost exclusively cycle on sidewalks. To much traffic. All the sidewalks are ramped around here.

I think this is a common sense thread?
The ramps are for strollers and wheelchairs.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 06-03-20, 07:44 AM
mihlbach

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 66 Posts
I will occasionally use the sidewalk when its the best option for an otherwise bicycle unfriendly situation. A typical scenario would be for me to avoid a short section of very busy road by using a sidewalk with light pedestrian occupancy, or when riding with children. If the sidewalk itself has heavy traffic, I wouldn't bother. Legal or not, I don't see this as a big deal. Its not much different than riding on a MUP or the boardwalk at the beach (which is legal here). It'a not that difficult to slow down and give pedestrians a reasonably wide berth. I don't see it as much of an inconvenience for myself or the pedestrians, nor have I ever encountered anyone who got bent out of shape about it.

Last edited by mihlbach; 06-03-20 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-03-20, 07:52 AM
mihlbach

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Orkun KnighTR34
In my opininon riding on sidewalks is OK on main streets with high traffic and without cycle lanes for children and ladies. Otherwise bicycle is a vehicle, it has to be operated on roads. Sometimes I see MTB or BMX riders on sidewalks doing some bunny hops and stunt jumps when slalloming behind pedestrians, to do them high riding skill level is needed, they can cope with traffic with that riding skill so doing stunt rides on sidewalks is completely dangerous and rude.
BMX bikes are technically bikes, but they aren't really intended for transportation, so it's harder to take the vehicle categorization seriously for a BMX bike. The very idea of BMX is to ride where bikes were not intended to go, such as on ledges and walls. Good luck convincing a BMX rider to stay off the sidewalk.
Likes For mihlbach:
Old 06-03-20, 08:11 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
My kids are nearly 5, so I’m not confident letting them ride on the street yet. When I ride with them to the local park (I usually walk while they ride) I stay in my lowest gear, ride behind them, and keep my finger on the bell. Instead of confused or scared looks, we get lots of “isn’t that cute” looks.
Old 06-03-20, 08:22 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman
Pro tip: legal advice screamed out the window from a moving vehicle is often not correct.
Old 06-03-20, 08:26 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
My kids are nearly 5, so I’m not confident letting them ride on the street yet. When I ride with them to the local park (I usually walk while they ride) I stay in my lowest gear, ride behind them, and keep my finger on the bell. Instead of confused or scared looks, we get lots of “isn’t that cute” looks.
I ride my bike with my 4y.o. (on her own bike) on the sidewalks around our neighborhood too. We rarely exceed jogging speed, and I dismount and walk if we are passing others, and at busy intersections.

Outside of this limited scenario, I would never ride a bike on a sidewalk.
Old 06-03-20, 08:31 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by Orkun KnighTR34
In my opininon riding on sidewalks is OK on main streets with high traffic and without cycle lanes for children and ladies.
Ladies?
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 06-03-20, 08:34 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Ladies?
Well you can’t let them on the roads!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.