Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Advocacy Topics

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Advocacy Topics

Old 06-15-20, 10:58 AM
SkepticCyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Advocacy Topics

I am on the board of a cycling organization, serving as its Advocacy chairperson. In the past, I've contacted state legislators regarding proposing better safety laws, including ones against texting. I have also been part of a group that successfully got a new license plate option that contains the slogan "Share the Road."

I am looking for some new potential avenues to focus on going forward. Any thoughts regarding good advocacy causes I could help promote?
Old 06-16-20, 04:35 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Mandatory cyclist law training as part of driver's ed.
Old 06-16-20, 06:53 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,674 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by SkepticCyclist
I am on the board of a cycling organization, serving as its Advocacy chairperson. In the past, I've contacted state legislators regarding proposing better safety laws, including ones against texting. I have also been part of a group that successfully got a new license plate option that contains the slogan "Share the Road."

I am looking for some new potential avenues to focus on going forward. Any thoughts regarding good advocacy causes I could help promote?
Bike commuting home in the winter after sunset, I have often thought about distributing lights to the homeless and indigent who bike. Yes, batteries could be an issue, but perhaps it could be structured as an exchange.

And no matter what the season, seeing the disadvantages riding bikes with broken brake and shifter cables, untrue wheels, etc, has made me think about bicycle clinics for the homeless and indigent, whether it's a mobile unit that travels, or a more permanent setup.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 06-16-20, 07:29 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by SkepticCyclist

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
FWIW, I previously posted to this thread,"As a Bike Commuter - What kind of video content would you want to see?"
Originally Posted by Bicycle2Work
Hi Everyone!

I'm a long-time bike commuter who has started a YouTube channel that's about bike commuting. I'm going to initially be making videos for newbies and beginners who are thinking about bike commuting.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
So in answer to what I think would be sobering yet important messages to commuters would be videos of dangerous situations such as:

"Police urged to charge passenger after cyclist car-doored"

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...318-34zr2.html [and]
Originally Posted by JW Fas
"Cyclist Rear Ended at 55mph"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYMKp71vW-I
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Terrifying!
Thanks to @JW Fas for posting this video. I have posted about learning safety either by experience or vicariously, and this is the best training video I have seen about “bailing out.”
These videos are graphic and frightening real-life demonstrations of how quickly a driver’s inattention can malevolently damage a cyclist, and these or similar IMO would be beneficially incorporated into driver training curricula.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-16-20 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-16-20, 10:10 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I saw a guy today who lives in the same building i do and his MTB is minus the front brake. He took it off because he's afraid of doing an endo. A lot of people do NOT realize that 80% of braking (on average) is done by the front brake.

How to setup and adjust brakes is something a lot of cyclist do nt have any idea how to do. Thus when their brake rubs on the rim they simply disconnect it or remove it all together.

Cheers
Old 06-16-20, 10:11 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Another good thing would be for bicyclists, E-bikers and E-scooter riders to learn the rules of the road. Hopefully they'd even follow them. LOL

Cheers
Old 06-16-20, 11:26 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Another good thing would be for bicyclists, E-bikers and E-scooter riders to learn the rules of the road. Hopefully they'd even follow them. LOL

Cheers
Heh go after the cagers first... let the majority set a good example!
Old 06-16-20, 11:47 AM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
Heh go after the cagers first... let the majority set a good example!
ROTFLMAO If this was a forum for drivers I'd do that but it's a forum for bicyclists. LOL

Seriously, I've seen so many close calls with bicyclists who don't seem to have any idea what the rules of the road are. Ditto for many who ride E-bikes or E-scooters.

As traffic volumes increase over the years and if the number of bicyclists, E-bike riders and/or E-scooter riders increases, I wonder when the public at large will be demanding that those three groups of riders take a traffic rules training course. I know many people around here who'd like to see that. They're drivers who've nearly hit or have hit a rider who was blatantly disobeying the rules of the road and the driver had virtually no warning. So many extremely close calls. It makes you wonder when will the rider's luck run out.

There used to a bicyclist* here in town who every morning would ride in the wrong direction down a one-way street to a main road and then turn left onto that road and ride against traffic. What made it even more dangerous for him was that there was an exit from a crossing main road that went onto the road he was riding against the traffic on and the distance from the exit to the street he rode out of was quite short - less than 50 feet. I nearly hit him on my bike a couple of times and told him he was riding in an extremely dangerous way and to get some lights as required by law for his bike. Well, one day his luck ran out and now some poor driver has to live with the fact that he hit and killed that guy. the driver had no chance at all to avoid him.

Cheers

*Dark colour clothing, dark colour bike, no lights or reflectors and most times not even slowing let alone stopping at the intersection. Simply an accident waiting to happen and it did.
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 06-17-20, 10:04 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,789 Times in 3,305 Posts
Something I see a lot of, even in my own neighborhood is parents walking correctly against traffic flow with their young kids on bicycles likewise going against the flow which is incorrect. Some of these kids aren't so young any more, yet they still ride on the wrong side sometimes around the corner and out of site of their parents. So the behavior of riding on the wrong side is instilled in some at a young age and continues well into adulthood.

I imagine as these kids grow up and rid the leash of having their parents with them that they continue to ride on the wrong side of the road. Don't know what the solution is, but there are a significant number of adults I see in various places around town that have me believing they used to ride bikes as their parents walked around the block.

Edit..... this post must have been a premonition. I went out with my wife at lunch for a walk. We were on the sidewalk next to a fairly busy street leading to the neighborhood. A late teen or twenty something guy trying to carry a bag in one hand headed straight down the middle of the oncoming traffic lane. He had to stop several times to deal with the apparently heavy and awkward to hold bag and for oncoming traffic. We almost beat him to the corner on that 1/4 mile stretch. I hope he makes it to 30 y.o and beyond.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-17-20 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-17-20, 05:38 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
ditto. Must include on-road cycling experience. Been saying that for years.

Strict and serious traffic enforcement of motor vehicles.
Old 06-18-20, 01:38 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,789 Times in 3,305 Posts
The problem with drivers ed is that I haven't had to demonstrate driving ability or take any type of education or testing since I was 15 and 16 y.o. Over 46 years ago.

People don't like to discuss how well they do or don't drive.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-19-20, 07:18 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3769 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
I'm against "driving licences" for cyclists; however, I find it difficult to defend this position at times when I see how some people riding bikes do totally boneheaded things. Just the other day, I was sitting in-line at a left-turn only lane waiting for the light (on my bike). As the light turned green everyone started moving and this other cyclists was crossing the intersection (opposite direction) and then attempting to cross the street where the cars had a green light. So there he was in between us that were turning left and those that had the right of way. I wanted to stop and see how he managed that, but I was in the line of fast moving traffic.

I'm not against more stringent standards for drivers in understanding cycling laws, but we also have to look at ourselves. This is where I usually get blasted for being anti-cyclist
Likes For work4bike:
Old 06-19-20, 07:32 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3769 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
We cyclists need to stop pushing so hard for separated cycling paths, if we want to stay on the roads. Here in Jax, Fl, I've noticed that every road that gets reworked has a bike lane installed. This is a good thing and I like to think that the extra money I spend on my "Share the Road" specialty license plate goes towards those upgrades.

However, I noticed on one road that a large separated bike path was installed, in lieu of a bike lane, which could have easily been installed on this six lane roadway. When there is a separated bike path, we cyclists seem to be pressured to ride on them and stay off the roads. But riding on a path, while is good for parents with children, it's not so good for cycling commuters, at least in my experience and opinion.

They only slow me down with all the stop/yield signage. Cycling is NOT a hobby for me, it's my form of transportation. Riding on these paths adds significant time to my commutes, unless I want to be one of those irresponsible lance-wannabe cyclists, which I am, but never on bike paths/MUPs.

More cycling lanes.
Likes For work4bike:
Old 06-19-20, 02:32 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
We cyclists need to stop pushing so hard for separated cycling paths, if we want to stay on the roads. Here in Jax, Fl, I've noticed that every road that gets reworked has a bike lane installed. This is a good thing and I like to think that the extra money I spend on my "Share the Road" specialty license plate goes towards those upgrades.

However, I noticed on one road that a large separated bike path was installed, in lieu of a bike lane, which could have easily been installed on this six lane roadway. When there is a separated bike path, we cyclists seem to be pressured to ride on them and stay off the roads. But riding on a path, while is good for parents with children, it's not so good for cycling commuters, at least in my experience and opinion.

They only slow me down with all the stop/yield signage. Cycling is NOT a hobby for me, it's my form of transportation. Riding on these paths adds significant time to my commutes, unless I want to be one of those irresponsible lance-wannabe cyclists, which I am, but never on bike paths/MUPs.

More cycling lanes.
"So what's your beef with Multi-Use Pathes?"

...I posted earlier on this thread ”Getting somewhere” is the essence of a vehicle, be it pleasure, touring. utility, commuting etc (by bike) yet “vehicular cycling” on a road is derided in comparison to separated bike infrastructure....

Historically, back in the 19th century when cycling was a new, innovative mode of transportation, advocates like the League of American Wheelman were powerful enough to agitate for better roads, as Multi-Use Pathes, with the horses and pedestrians.
Then the automobile came along and new advocates could further agitate for even more and better roads, and cars became the predominant and overwhelmingly powerful users.

So now in these days I think it is unlikely that cyclists’ desire for an extensive segregated (and likely costly) bike system that serves many destinations will ever be fulfilled, unless...
I have quoted this diatribe by @B.Carfree on a few threads, including;
“I don't think I like physically separated bike lanes.”

As a decades-long urban commuter and road cyclist, on a societal policy basis I was impressed by this opinion by @B. Carfree
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
…Some people, mostly people who are relatively new to cycling, think we should use the few dollars that can go towards improving conditions for cycling by building a few miles of separated infrastructure and place it mostly on urban roads (with the inevitable intersection failures).

Other, more experienced riders, think we would be better served by funding traffic law enforcement and putting in many more miles of proper, six to eight foot bike lanes (not in the door zone) and only putting in separate facilities where there are long stretches of high-speed road without appreciable numbers of intersections.

This difference of opinion wouldn't be such a big deal, but many of the segregationists have been making their public case by convincing everyone that cycling is too dangerous to be done anywhere except on a segregated facility.

Not surprisingly, this has an impact in terms of how many people are willing to even try riding a bike since there is no way to get anywhere in the US without riding on a road.

Oddly enough, these people are called and consider themselves "bicycling advocates". If one were to design a fifth-column assault to keep cycling participation down, it would look just like the pro-separation folks.
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I hate the idea of walled-off lanes, myself ... I don't want to be penned in with a bunch of cyclists ... worst group of people ....
Old 06-21-20, 10:21 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Does your city or state protect bikes in cross walks like the law protects pedestrians? Our state laws didnt and we got them changed about 5 years ago.