Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bicycle bearing grease lab test

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bicycle bearing grease lab test

Old 07-19-20, 10:47 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts
#1 Learn about basic tribology, - how does a lube work, what is a good lube, etc. Only then can you ask and answer the right questions.

Do you even know what constitute a grease, its components and properties? If you do you should be able to pick a suitable lube from a spec sheet, rather than testing every lube lube known to man, in search for a unicorn that doesn't exist.

https://www.skf.com/group/products/s...uitable-grease

For various reasons, - base oil viscosity and thickener type i vent with Motorex Fett 2000, that on paper has very good properties for a slow moving bearing, in a not so clean environment. Id like to see you test that one, if you please :-)

Last edited by Racing Dan; 07-19-20 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-19-20, 11:22 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Back in the mid-80's I serviced a rear hub in a Rockhopper (straight up Deore) with CENEX wheel bearing grease. Stuff was brownish and the tub said it was good for disk brake wheel bearings. I just bought the grease and nothing looked funny about it.

After a few days of 10 mile commutes the rear wheel would turn a little rough, so I tore it down. The bearing balls were dull looking and no longer smooth. Try again, new bearing balls from same batch, same grease, and a few days later same result. Try again, new bearing balls, this time bought a new tube of Phil grease. Never another problem, rode the bike hard for another 10 years. Cenex are all over Minnesota, NoDak, Mont. etc.

Even though the word has been any grease will work in a bike, some are not up to the task.

Last edited by grizzly59; 07-19-20 at 06:12 PM.
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 08-06-20, 10:35 AM
bikeman68

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
cenex grease

Originally Posted by grizzly59
Back in the mid-80's I serviced a rear hub in a Rockhopper (straight up Deore) with CENEX wheel bearing grease. Stuff was brownish and the tub said it was good for disk brake wheel bearings. I just bought the grease and nothing looked funny about it.

After a few days of 10 mile commutes the rear wheel would turn a little rough, so I tore it down. The bearing balls were dull looking and no longer smooth. Try again, new bearing balls from same batch, same grease, and a few days later same result. Try again, new bearing balls, this time bought a new tube of Phil grease. Never another problem, rode the bike hard for another 10 years. Cenex are all over Minnesota, NoDak, Mont. etc.

Even though the word has been any grease will work in a bike, some are not up to the task.
Wow sounds like junk grease maker liable again
is this an auto or truck grease or intended for motorcycles? the failure wouod be that much harder and possibly a whbeel mettdown accident in these motor vehicles! I'd seek compensation from maker.

x
Old 08-06-20, 11:05 AM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
Bacon grease? Interesting. I have a tub of that. I was going to make soap but…
Old 08-06-20, 11:29 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,149 Times in 1,313 Posts
Over the years I have developed some idiosyncrasies that have no "bearing" on any testing.

For a long time I used Phil's grease on everything, then somewhere along the line I started using Finishline teflon on hub's and Phil's on the areas that take more abuse, at least in my mind; cup/cone bottom brackets (I think I still have one of those), headsets, pedals, and for lubricating threads, and seatposts. There is no rhyme or reason for that, but I have wondered if I should just go back to using Phil's everywhere.

I use Tri-Flow and Phil's oil, depending on the application. Phil's for freewheel and freehub bodies and Tri-flow for everything else.

I know that there will be those that will tout that back in the 30's during the depression we used whatever grease and if it was good enough then it is good enough now so why spend the money? I can buy a lifetime of good grease for less the cost of a single wheelset. It seems like a no-brainer.

John
Old 08-06-20, 11:58 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
isn't this a waste of time? The companies who manufacture the greases do the testing and follow guide lines in the industry.
Old 08-06-20, 08:10 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
Been using this for years. Waterproof. Thick. Loose ballbearings stay put when you're re-assemblng things. It's all good.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lucas-Xtr...xoCzTsQAvD_BwE
Old 08-06-20, 09:53 PM
RowdyTI

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
since dirt and water intrusion is what destroys bike bearings
Pay attention to this:

excessive preload can have a sharp reduction in life due toincreased load on the rollers which in turn increases friction, damages the lubricant and can cause high operating temperatures.
https://www.bearingtips.com/preload-...h-is-too-much/

Notice how rapidly bearing life decreases as preload becomes excessive.

Too much preload will destroy the best grease -- and destroy the best bearings -- much more rapidly.

Remember, preload increases as you get on the bike, put weight on it, and ride it.

Also notice bearing life is almost the same at no preload as optimal preload. However, it reduces quickly and dramatically as preload gets too high.

Last edited by RowdyTI; 08-06-20 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-06-20, 10:04 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
Been using this for years. Waterproof. Thick. Loose ballbearings stay put when you're re-assemblng things. It's all good.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lucas-Xtr...xoCzTsQAvD_BwE
I use that for basically everything that needs grease. Cheap and readily available. Another tube is in the mail as we speak. I use the left over in the grease gun to fill this little gun up for my bike needs. https://www.amazon.com/Astro-101-Gre.../dp/B000FMK7FG

I consider bike bearings to be cheap and consumable, loose bearings are a few cents a piece and radial bearings common on bikes are in the $5-15 range. I'm still interested in seeing any test results.

Here is a general compare and some testing with the Lucas red version vs Supertech. The heat test he did would never been seen in a bike bearing but interesting to watch.

Last edited by u235; 08-06-20 at 10:30 PM.
Likes For u235: