Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help Identifying A Merlin Frame

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-27-20, 08:27 AM
jamesklayer

Bikes: Moots Mootour (Chorus/Zipp 303), Soma Smoothie (Ultegra, Hunt Race Aero), Mondonico Futura Leggero (Frame)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

Merlin Cyclocross Frame with Cantilever mounts and all cables are ran on the top tube. Ixios written on the top-tube. The serial number is underneath the bottom bracket and reads M79153.

What I primarily want to know is if it legitimate and also the year.

Wrote Merlin and am still awaiting a reply. Not much luck googling either. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by jamesklayer; 09-27-20 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-27-20, 08:28 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Maybe it will help if you supply another picture where folks can see more of the frame?
Old 09-27-20, 08:00 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Better send that frame to me I will check and make sure it is legit 100%. I will build it up fully with fine components and ride it carefully for a few years and make sure we are totally and completely sure that bike is legit. I won't stop till I am at least 1000% sure and will make sure to do the absolute due diligence required to make sure over the course of those years that the bike is genuine article. I don't play around with this matters and neither should you. This of course is a free of charge service I am offering to you, all you have to pay is shipping back and forth. You will get back a certificate of authenticity if I can truly verify that the bike is real if not I will test it till the ends of time if I must to make sure I get you the best possible answer on the subject.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 09-28-20, 07:22 AM
jamesklayer

Bikes: Moots Mootour (Chorus/Zipp 303), Soma Smoothie (Ultegra, Hunt Race Aero), Mondonico Futura Leggero (Frame)

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Better send that frame to me I will check and make sure it is legit 100%. I will build it up fully with fine components and ride it carefully for a few years and make sure we are totally and completely sure that bike is legit. I won't stop till I am at least 1000% sure and will make sure to do the absolute due diligence required to make sure over the course of those years that the bike is genuine article. I don't play around with this matters and neither should you. This of course is a free of charge service I am offering to you, all you have to pay is shipping back and forth. You will get back a certificate of authenticity if I can truly verify that the bike is real if not I will test it till the ends of time if I must to make sure I get you the best possible answer on the subject.
Ha! I have a similar plan myself mr. veganbikes, minus sending it back. Fellow vegan here, by the way.

It's an ebay listing that i am sure will get snagged up before i bite the bullet. I am sure it is real but it's unfortunate that any database of serial numbers stops at the year 2000. I just like to know for sure what i am getting before i spend the cash.

I am desperately waiting merlin's reply on this frame. I will say, a titanium frame with canti mounts would be a dream come true.

Last edited by jamesklayer; 09-28-20 at 07:25 AM.
Likes For jamesklayer:
Old 09-28-20, 08:17 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Random stuff.
Is it a 1" or 1-1/8" steerer tube? 1" I think points to pre-2000
The welds look like Merlin quality
Any shots of the head badge? below is pic of my 2003 version fwiw
Doesn't necessarily mean anything maybe, but my dropouts have MERLIN engraved in them (see pic below)
FWIW, my 2003 merlin ser# begins with a low 80xxx number, so is about 1000 bikes perhaps later than yours?

Old 09-28-20, 08:25 AM
jamesklayer

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Random stuff.
Is it a 1" or 1-1/8" steerer tube? 1" I think points to pre-2000
The welds look like Merlin quality
Any shots of the head badge? below is pic of my 2003 version fwiw
Doesn't necessarily mean anything maybe, but my dropouts have MERLIN engraved in them (see pic below)
FWIW, my 2003 merlin ser# begins with a low 80xxx number, so is about 1000 bikes perhaps later than yours?

When I wrote the seller, I forgot to ask about the head-tube. The dropouts do not have "merlin" engraved on them. Here's a photo of the head badge. Is your serial number written in the same fashion on the bottom bracket, out of curiousity?

Anyway, I am sure it is legit. I am just neurotic and need Merlin to write me back saying, "yes". The frame does look excellent. I just want to be absolutely sure.

Let me ask you, and even veganbikes this as well. He is asking $1300 but I am gonna' see if he'll go a little lower. What's the general consensus on that price range? Your input is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-28-20, 08:55 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Sorry, can't help with price. But your Ser# format looks inline with how they did things

Old 09-28-20, 12:32 PM
jamesklayer

Sorry, can't help with price. But your Ser# format looks inline with how they did things

Ah! Thank you Sy Reene ! That is greatly appreciated. That helps a lot. This is the email I receive from Merlin just a few minutes ago.

Old 09-28-20, 12:37 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by jamesklayer
Ah! Thank you Sy Reene ! That is greatly appreciated. That helps a lot. This is the email I receive from Merlin just a few minutes ago.

Fwiw, the current owners I think bought the Merlin Brand name from Competitive Cyclist, who I'm not sure would know anything more. Your best bet may be to go all the way to the original source: spectrum.tom@gmail.com
Old 09-28-20, 01:30 PM
jamesklayer

Fwiw, the current owners I think bought the Merlin Brand name from Competitive Cyclist, who I'm not sure would know anything more. Your best bet may be to go all the way to the original source: spectrum.tom@gmail.com
That was a great tip. Thank you.

Tom wrote me back in less than half an hour. It's real, early two-thousands, made in Chattanooga. He said Cross frames were briefly made but never found a big market so they stopped. After that, the only cross frames were custom.

Anyway, there it is. I got my answer. He was a very nice dude.
Likes For jamesklayer:
Old 09-28-20, 01:46 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by jamesklayer
That was a great tip. Thank you.

Tom wrote me back in less than half an hour. It's real, early two-thousands, made in Chattanooga. He said Cross frames were briefly made but never found a big market so they stopped. After that, the only cross frames were custom.

Anyway, there it is. I got my answer. He was a very nice dude.
Very cool. Yes, by all accounts Tom is a class act. Curious, did he confirm that that was the actual model name was originally Ixios, or did somewhere along the way in the past, did someone just have a custom model name decal created? FWIW I have a 2002 catalog PDF that I found somewhere on the internet; there aren't any CX models, but the cable routing looks similar to their mtn model XLM.
Old 09-28-20, 01:56 PM
jamesklayer

Very cool. Yes, by all accounts Tom is a class act. Curious, did he confirm that that was the actual model name was originally Ixios, or did somewhere along the way in the past, did someone just have a custom model name decal created? FWIW I have a 2002 catalog PDF that I found somewhere on the internet; there aren't any CX models, but the cable routing looks similar to their mtn model XLM.
From my understanding, this "second" owner who is selling it on ebay is under the impression that it is a custom frame, due to that decal, which he also believes to be custom. Maybe just the decal is custom but the frame is from that short Cross frame stock period?

Anyway, time to make an offer!