Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When Overtaking Another Cyclist During CV19

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-20, 07:49 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts

What is, or even do you have a strategy, for overtaking a non-household member on the road or trail? (This is not intended as some twisted political thread)

For me, I will swing out wide much sooner than pre-CV to minimize being in their slipstream. I am also good at holding my breath, but is considerably more difficult when hill climbing. I don’t mask since I would saturate it quickly with my exhalations rendering it useless.

so what do U do?

Old 10-03-20, 08:19 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
When passing someone going nearly the same speed I used to grab their wheel for a short time and get that little breather; now I tend not to. Other than that I've just been giving everyone a little bit of extra space as I'm able. I suspect the actual danger of exposure in this setting, outside with rapid airflow, several feet of distance and proximity lasting seconds or less, etc., is pretty minimal. I don't mask up while riding, but I do carry one because you never know.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 10-03-20, 11:22 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
As I approach another rider, I just cough really loud and wheeze and spit. They always give me a wide berth.
Old 10-03-20, 11:29 PM
Princess_Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Make sure to cough in their direction as you pass for maximum effect.
Likes For Princess_Allez:
Old 10-03-20, 11:54 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
The best available info indicates the coronavirus Super Cooties is mostly about the dosage, like any toxin. Most of us probably won't get irretrievably ill from a single micro-organism sniffed into our gullets. The danger is the repeated exposure to clouds of the stuff in crowded and/or poorly ventilated areas.

So I wouldn't worry much about occasionally passing another cyclist or pedestrian, even on a narrow MUP or shared sidewalk. In my area the MUP is just a sidewalk, a typical 4 foot wide thing made of lots of slabs of squared concrete. It's impossible to maintain distance while passing. But I wouldn't worry too much if I passed only two or three people over a 10 mile ride. I'd worry more if I was following two or three cyclists over a 10 mile ride. I'd worry a *lot* more riding with 20-50 people any distance, which is why I've avoided group rides this year.

I wore a mask on the MUP the few times I rode that route this spring because of the heavier than normal traffic. Lots of folks off work, kids out of school, no way to avoid crowds or pass safely.

By summer it was hot and the MUP was far less busy, so occasionally I'd use it as a shortcut from my neighborhood to downtown.

But I try to avoid any route where I'm likely to need to pass people closely.

I mostly ride a suburban/rural route nearby and might see two or three people at most on a typical 20-40 mile ride. There's plenty of room to pass with at least 10 feet between us. I don't wear a mask on those routes.

While masks aren't comfortable for high effort rides, I wore one for an hour long ride on the hottest day this summer, 107 degrees F, and video recorded it as a demonstration. I have allergies, asthma, a deviated septum from boxing that can sometimes make breathing a little difficult with sinus congestion. I'm 62, with Hashimoto's, an annoying auto immune disorder that killed my cancer, but is generally otherwise non-fatal. Just pesky and drains my energy some days.

The only difference from my usual midday summer rides was my heart rate was about 10-15 bpm higher, so I needed to decrease my effort to stay under my preferred threshold heart rate. My max HR is 173, and for most hard workout sessions I set my bike computer's HR monitor to sound an alarm when I exceed 160. That's my warning that on a normal day I can sustain that effort for up to 60 seconds before my legs will begin turning to jelly. But for steady riding on a really hot day, I want to stay around 140. That was hard with a mask on. I couldn't go by my usual perceived effort for a tempo pace because I'd have overheated quickly without monitoring my heart rate. But for a casual piddle pedal on the MUP, no problem.

And in bitterly cold, dry winter I'll wear an ordinary surgical mask for comfort. It gets soaking wet, and sometimes develops little icicles hanging from the bottom of the mask. It's not easy to breathe through a wet mask but for a casual effort ride it's okay. Beats the alternative -- painful sinuses from cold, dry air.

I've heard all the excuses for not wearing a mask, especially from other military veterans my age or younger. It's uncomfortable. I'd rather not do it on bike rides. But it can be done. But my demo had zero effect on anyone's opinions. They just kept moving the goalposts, making up new excuses ("I'll poison myself from my own toxins," etc.). As a former Navy Hospital Corpsman I was disappointed by the number of fellow veterans who rebelled against simple requests to wear a mask for visits to VA facilities for medical appointments, etc., and their relentless disinformation trolling of social media posts from the VA asking vets to mask up where appropriate. I dunno how those guys got through boot camp as teenagers and 20somethings years ago, with full packs, recon shuffle in heavy boots, following orders no matter how seemingly pointless, if they can't cope with 3-ply piece of paper/cloth attached to rubber bands now.

But I digress.

Also, keep in mind that if you're healthy enough to ride a bike at all, you're already in the low risk zone. COVID-19 is merciless on folks with comorbidities: notably, obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, etc. Combine that with inadequate rest, poor diet, etc., it's pretty nasty. Even some medical professionals in their 20-40s have died from COVID-19. But the likely causes appear to be a combination of heavy exposure in patient care scenarios, combined with inadequate self care: not enough rest, poor diet, extreme stress, etc. Of all people, medical professionals need more self care than ever now. Ideally they'd have at least three days a week off, and no work days exceeding 10-12 hours, with mandatory rest breaks for food and to decompress. Yeah, in our dreams. I worked in health care long enough to know it will take a major overhaul of the system before that happens.

From my August experiment riding masked in temperature up to 107 degrees F for an hour. No fun but doable.

Last edited by canklecat; 10-04-20 at 12:28 AM.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 10-04-20, 12:28 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
You are so fortunate to have only done it in an experiment.

To me, that's my daily outdoor training routine. 1 hr 100 F, 70% humidity, and a mask on all the time. My route is hilly, passing through two long hills and one long steep hill. My heart rate does between 133 to 156 bpm in that 1 hr

The first three months are agonizing. I felt like drowning sometimes especially when the mask got wet from sweat (I can't remove mask even when wet, I can get an expensive fine if caught by police or soldier). Lately, my body seemed to have adapted quite nicely and able to breath easy and no longer minding the mask. Now I find the mask useful for other things like filtering out the dust cloud in my semi-gravel routes.
Yup, I remember your posts describing those conditions. You're tougher than most of us.

I've occasionally worn a mask before the pandemic for dusty gravel roads, but it's rarely humid and hot enough here in North Central Texas to be a serious problem.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 10-04-20, 08:02 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
What is, or even do you have a strategy, for overtaking a non-household member on the road or trail? (This is not intended as some twisted political thread)

For me, I will swing out wide much sooner than pre-CV to minimize being in their slipstream. I am also good at holding my breath, but is considerably more difficult when hill climbing. I don’t mask since I would saturate it quickly with my exhalations rendering it useless.

so what do U do?
if I’m passing another cyclist or a runner, I pull over to the center line 20-30 yd early, give them an “on yer left” just because, then edge back in 20-30 yd past. If there’s traffic coming, I hang back until the road is clear. Most of this is for the peace of mind of the passed individual - the likelihood of being exposed while on my bike in the open air is extremely low. I don’t do MUPs, so it’s all open road. I don’t wear a mask while on the bike but I carry one in case I need to interact with anyone
Old 10-04-20, 08:23 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
The risk of airborne transmission of the virus is a function of proximity and duration. So, when overtaking another cyclist, pass them quickly and as distant as practical to minimize the risk.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-05-20, 07:52 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
No changes for me. I ride alone all the time and hardly see others on the road. If I do encounter other riders I'm not doing anything different than I would normally do.
Old 10-06-20, 07:02 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I don't do anything differently at all. Of course, I don't think about the virus at all most days. And I refuse to be afraid of anything. It's way more likely that I'll be struck and killed by a car, and I don't even concern myself with that much...
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 10-06-20, 07:29 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
if I’m passing another cyclist or a runner, I pull over to the center line 20-30 yd early, give them an “on yer left” just because, then edge back in 20-30 yd past. If there’s traffic coming, I hang back until the road is clear. Most of this is for the peace of mind of the passed individual - the likelihood of being exposed while on my bike in the open air is extremely low. I don’t do MUPs, so it’s all open road. I don’t wear a mask while on the bike but I carry one in case I need to interact with anyone
Exactly what I was going to post.
Old 10-06-20, 08:57 AM
Skulking

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I don't do anything differently at all. Of course, I don't think about the virus at all most days. And I refuse to be afraid of anything. It's way more likely that I'll be struck and killed by a car, and I don't even concern myself with that much...
You do you, but reality doesn't agree with your risk analysis. Cyclist death from being involved in a collision with a motor vehicle were 854 in 2018 which is the most recent year I can find data for. Confirmed COVID cases in the US are currently just under 7.4 million with just under 210,000 deaths.
Likes For Skulking:
Old 10-06-20, 10:01 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
It’s good to hear you don’t live in fear, which can debilitate some people.

How would you act if you knew were an asymptomatic carrier? But the rub is most asymptomatic carriers never know unless they are tested.

Old 10-06-20, 10:19 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
It’s good to hear you don’t live in fear, which can debilitate some people.

How would you act if you knew were an asymptomatic carrier? But the rub is most asymptomatic carriers never know unless they are tested.
We're still talking about riding bicycles, right? Thanks for framing a question that can be discussed. If I knew with certainty (two positive tests) that I was previously infected, and asymptomatic, then I'd work backward to determine the point/time of infection. That tells me how long I must quarantine. This would affect my riding (overtaking), as I would swing wider, and wouldn't ride alongside to share pleasantries with strangers. With my current riding partners, nothing would change except a conversation explaining my test results and the likely "active" period end date.

According to my training, we're concerned about the "three C's": Confined spaces, Crowded places, and Close (and prolonged) contact. I don't have any of this, so am extremely unlikely to come into contact with the virus. My training says danger can be within 6 feet for a duration of 15 minutes. So, that I haven't had with anyone but my wife for 6 months. So, still in the context of cycling, I'd avoid bike shops or working alongside any of my own customers for the period of the self-quarantine. Then, proceed as normal.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 10-06-20, 11:03 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
And........folks had to make it political. Couldn't resist could ya? You all should get negative like points for that move.

I'll answer the question: I have avoided the greenways at all costs. I eat the time taking hillier and curvier silent neighborhood streets alone. If I do encounter a person I will first choose to alter my route. I know the area I ride well enough I can make anything link up. If that isn't reasonable, I make a really wide pass treating myself as a car passing a cyclist (the proper legal way). While doing so, I make it expedient and move on along without delay.
Old 10-06-20, 06:33 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Skulking
You do you, but reality doesn't agree with your risk analysis. Cyclist death from being involved in a collision with a motor vehicle were 854 in 2018 which is the most recent year I can find data for. Confirmed COVID cases in the US are currently just under 7.4 million with just under 210,000 deaths.
Well complete the scenerio.... how many of those 210,000 deaths were active cyclist?
Old 10-06-20, 07:00 PM
tgenec86
Rouleur

Bikes: Felt FC (SRAM Red), Nashbar Carbon (SRAM Red), Felt BR2 (SRAM Red), Salsa El Mariachi 29'er - solid steel, Peugeot PX-10 1972

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 63 Posts
I do absolutely nothing different than I have ever done. And I'm not going to start. The good thing about people getting all uptight, self-righteous, and accusatory on how awful of a person I must be is - I have to acknowledge them and bring myself to be emotionally invested in their opinion. You can guess for yourself if I do.
Likes For tgenec86:
Old 10-06-20, 10:42 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts

Passing what people? I don't see people. And if I do, then we shake hands like the good ole days.
Old 10-06-20, 10:57 PM
yamsyamsyams

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
I’ve definitely been avoiding popular trails and hitting the roads or less traveled gravel trails this year. Might as well explore this year and build up alternatives for 2021!
Likes For yamsyamsyams:
Old 10-07-20, 06:23 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
Nothing different here.
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 10-07-20, 09:25 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Over the months I’ve modified my position. Close contact in confined spaces with poor ventilation are the highest risk, even with a mask you’ll eventually get sick in these cases given long enough exposure. Your transmission risk outside appears to be very small. You need a certain viral load to get sick, so the less air you share the less chances of getting sick.

One study out of Japan found you’re 1850% more likely to contract the virus indoors. Another study in Singapore tried to measure the outdoor risk with weather conditions and found higher humidity and temperatures caused higher amount of cases while windy conditions caused fewer cases, although correlation may not be causation in this case.

Therefore, when I resumed riding outside in mid-June after the lockdown ended, I don’t wear a mask, and only ride with a few select friends who are WFH. However, I do try to give joggers and other riders a ‘good’ pass, wait for clear traffic and pass from the far left side of the road so they have at least 6’.
Old 10-07-20, 10:27 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
Passing what people? I don't see people. And if I do, then we shake hands like the good ole days.
Interesting. I cant remember the last time I saw people shake hands. I also dont remember ever shaking someone's hand I meet while riding.
Old 10-07-20, 11:49 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Interesting. I cant remember the last time I saw people shake hands. I also dont remember ever shaking someone's hand I meet while riding.
Apparently I've been around the real deal this summer/fall CO, NM, AZ, UT, MT, ID

To quote one man after shaking hands. He said "You can know a lot about another person by the way they greet you"

My reply "I am not a typical cyclist"

My American flag bandana is for dust, not a disease. I guess Ranchers love America and they love people that unmask to say hello.

One hand shake led to a place to go to in Az and ride when their house is done being built.

Bottom line, I'm not going to quit hand shaking just because I ride bicycles. Or other reasons.
Old 10-07-20, 12:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
My American flag bandana is for dust, not a disease. I guess Ranchers love America and they love people that unmask to say hello.

is your name Charlie?
Old 10-07-20, 12:54 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Not doing anything differently. I've been doing group rides all summer in fact.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.