Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

If you keep biking regularly, will you keep PR'ing?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

If you keep biking regularly, will you keep PR'ing?

Old 10-13-20, 11:48 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
PRs are going to get fewer are farther between unless you continually ride in different places, and even then there's a point where they stop showing up almost entirely. Because for every segment you routinely cover, there will always be that one day where everything was just right, and you went as fast as you're ever gonna go in that spot. Getting older certainly isn't going to help future efforts.

My Strava PRs by Year:
2016: 1,368
2017: 1,190
2018: 632
2019: 250
2020: 98

I mean, there are a decent number of segments I've covered over 500 times.
Old 10-13-20, 11:59 AM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
PRs are going to get fewer are farther between unless you continually ride in different places, and even then there's a point where they stop showing up almost entirely. Because for every segment you routinely cover, there will always be that one day where everything was just right, and you went as fast as you're ever gonna go in that spot. Getting older certainly isn't going to help future efforts.

My Strava PRs by Year:
2016: 1,368
2017: 1,190
2018: 632
2019: 250
2020: 98

I mean, there are a decent number of segments I've covered over 500 times.
Do you have to be a strava subscriber to access this quantifiable PR numeric?
Old 10-13-20, 12:08 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

I don't think so? Under the Training Tab, you just select Training Calendar. In the year view, you can see total PRs for that year. This is on web, BTW. I've no idea about viewing this on mobile.
Old 10-13-20, 12:09 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Faster on a particular segment is not the only way to measure improvement. My measure? Segments never ridden before, in other states.
Old 10-13-20, 01:18 PM
burritos

Originally Posted by Leebo
Faster on a particular segment is not the only way to measure improvement. My measure? Segments never ridden before, in other states.
Interesting. Wonder if there's a measurement as to who has ridden the most different asphalt/trails of all time.
Old 10-13-20, 01:22 PM
burritos

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I don't think so? Under the Training Tab, you just select Training Calendar. In the year view, you can see total PRs for that year. This is on web, BTW. I've no idea about viewing this on mobile.
Thank you for that. I've been doing 50-60 pr's per year for the last 4 years prior to COVID. After COVID, 560 pr's since. Bike more. PR more. Who would have thought that.
Old 10-13-20, 01:34 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Unless it's continual improvement of a PR on a individual segment or series of segments, it's not really very telling. During COVID, my Strava Heatmap is pitiful-- I ride the same handful of routes most every day, because I just can't be bothered to do longer rides that would involve stopping for food/supplies. As I've covered some of these 25-30 mile routes a hundred times, PRs are pretty much off the table. I have a 31.5 mile route where I've done 3 efforts in the exact same time, down to the second.

I have no idea how you could view total segments covered or segment efforts without Veloviewer, but I have that, so I know. I've covered 3,854 unique segments, but only 2,827 of them at least twice-- and Strava doesn't give you a PR until you've covered a segment at least twice.
Old 10-13-20, 01:39 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
My BM's are regular, but my PR's are getting less and less frequent. TMI?

I think if a person is continually setting PR's, the BF troll in me has to chime in with, "Just how out of shape were you, when you first started recording these things?" But I would never say that. Besides, I'm sure it's a lot more complicated than that.
Old 10-13-20, 01:59 PM
burritos

Originally Posted by Lemond1985

I think if a person is continually setting PR's, the BF troll in me has to chime in with, "Just how out of shape were you, when you first started recording these things?" But I would never say that. Besides, I'm sure it's a lot more complicated than that.
For me I suppose I was enough out of shape to experience this upslope of PRing for the first time in my life.
Old 10-13-20, 02:22 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3936 Post(s)
Liked 7,263 Times in 2,937 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
You need to do BM interval work if you want to set new PRs in the loo.
Old 10-13-20, 03:44 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by burritos
For those who just bike and not necessarily train, if you bike 50-100 per week, can you expect to keep improving?
Fitness gains are a temporary thing and they don't continue forever. The greatest gains in fitness happen when you are new to training and the longer you train the less gains you will make. Eventually there comes a time when all the gains stop no matter what you do or how much you train, when that happens then all you can do is to try and maintain whatever fitness you have.
Old 10-13-20, 05:54 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
For those who just bike and not necessarily train, if you bike 50-100 per week, can you expect to keep improving?
NO! You will hit your physical wall and can only improve beyond that by targeted training.
Old 10-13-20, 06:03 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 231 Posts
You guys are missing the point. If you ride a new area, each one is a PR!

Ride new places and each time it's your best!

FWIW, last week I got a message from RWGPS: Congratulations, you set a PR on XX Hill! You now rank #118 .
Likes For bblair:
Old 10-13-20, 07:39 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You need to do BM interval work if you want to set new PRs in the loo.
I found this thread helpful:

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...-too-much.html
Old 10-14-20, 12:26 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
You guys are missing the point. If you ride a new area, each one is a PR!

Ride new places and each time it's your best!

FWIW, last week I got a message from RWGPS: Congratulations, you set a PR on XX Hill! You now rank #118 .
Exactly. Even in a virtual world. I've been on Zwift a lot more this year due to the pandemic and the fires, and Strava counts all those segments as well. Seems like every time I do a Zwift ride, I get a handful of PRs. I had 3 this morning in Innsbruck. Although my rank is 309154. Maybe if I keep at it, I can crack the top 100 thousand.
Old 10-14-20, 02:03 PM
burritos

Is it better to subjectively feel good about an effort on a segment or is it better to PR? There have been many hill segments where I PR'd, but I felt like I struggled through it(not pushing, just struggling, is there a difference?). Other times, I would intentionally push the effort(cause I felt like I had the energy, or maybe tried to chase some one) and actually feel good with the effort, but then I wouldn't even get in the top 3 of my PR's.
Old 10-17-20, 02:24 AM
kgcabs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 6 Posts
stopped caring about 2 years ago
Old 10-17-20, 08:11 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

I care more about efforts. That’s what I am able to do on a particular ride. PRs are affected by external factors like the wind, whether you’re riding in a group, traffic, etc, but your effort is your effort.
Old 10-19-20, 11:52 AM
stuff shredman

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Tarmac - Sagan Edition /// 2016 Intense Tracer T275C ///

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Improving what? Don't do strava or racing imaginary strangers. I like to ride bikes, winning!
Personally, I love Strava. It's not for everyone.
Some of my rides, I do for pure enjoyment
Other rides I try to push myself, and Strava helps me do that, by removing some of the subjectivity of my efforts. Using Live Segments, I can see if I'm ahead or behind my best pace or inching up on one of my faster buddies. I plan to get some power pedals soon to measure wattage.

Interval training has given me the best bang for the buck, increased my pain tolerance, and even made the fun rides.. even more fun

Different pedal strokes for different folks
Old 10-19-20, 12:04 PM
capt_velo

Bikes: 1988 Gitane Team Replica, 2022 Trek Top Fuel 9.8

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by stuff shredman
Personally, I love Strava. It's not for everyone.
Some of my rides, I do for pure enjoyment
Other rides I try to push myself, and Strava helps me do that, by removing some of the subjectivity of my efforts. Using Live Segments, I can see if I'm ahead or behind my best pace or inching up on one of my faster buddies. I plan to get some power pedals soon to measure wattage.

Interval training has given me the best bang for the buck, increased my pain tolerance, and even made the fun rides.. even more fun

Different pedal strokes for different folks
I use Strava on my phone and a Wahoo element mini head unit to display current info. What do you use for the live segments and interval training? I'd like to get into that more. Right now, comparing myself to previous rides is an after-the-ride affair.
Old 10-19-20, 12:15 PM
RISKDR1

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
nOT FOREVER

Yes you will improve for a while until you get closer to your potential. There is a natural aging process that reduces your potential over time. Your question has a pretty complex answer though. In order to reach your potential you have to continue to stress your "machine". If you don't you plateau and stay there for a while and then gradually over time you will decline. Cardiac output and efficiency naturally declines due to age. I can attest to this. I am 75 and have been riding 40 years. My max heart rate has decreased from about 185 when I started to about 130 now. You lose muscle mass as well so power drops off.
Likes For RISKDR1:
Old 10-19-20, 12:15 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
The first time you ride a segment, it's automatically a PR for you. So if you want to keep getting PRs, just keep riding new routes! Whether or not you continue to get PRs on existing segments depends on how hard you train, not necessarily by your mileage.
Old 10-19-20, 12:30 PM
stuff shredman

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Tarmac - Sagan Edition /// 2016 Intense Tracer T275C ///

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by capt_velo
I use Strava on my phone and a Wahoo element mini head unit to display current info. What do you use for the live segments and interval training? I'd like to get into that more. Right now, comparing myself to previous rides is an after-the-ride affair.
I have the Garmin 820 ... and any segments in Strava that I star will show up on my Garmin while I'm riding. It will let me know I'm approaching the start of a segment, and while I'm in the segment, it will let me know how I'm doing vs my PR and how I'm doing vs my next fastest buddy (whomever that is). I believe Live Segments thru Strava is only available if you have the Strava subscription.

For intervals, I either find or create a custom segment of the appropriate length, star it, then watch my pace on the Garmin. I've been doing 2 and 3 min max effort intervals, 7min threshold intervals and 15 min steady state intervals. Once I started doing intervals, I noticed substantial gains in my climb speed.
I have a buddy who does his intervals w power meter and feels that really improves consistency of effort over just watching the Live Segment alone. I'm ordering some power pedals soon. We'll see if it helps!
Likes For stuff shredman:
Old 10-19-20, 01:51 PM
caloso

Originally Posted by stuff shredman
I have the Garmin 820 ... and any segments in Strava that I star will show up on my Garmin while I'm riding. It will let me know I'm approaching the start of a segment, and while I'm in the segment, it will let me know how I'm doing vs my PR and how I'm doing vs my next fastest buddy (whomever that is). I believe Live Segments thru Strava is only available if you have the Strava subscription.

For intervals, I either find or create a custom segment of the appropriate length, star it, then watch my pace on the Garmin. I've been doing 2 and 3 min max effort intervals, 7min threshold intervals and 15 min steady state intervals. Once I started doing intervals, I noticed substantial gains in my climb speed.
I have a buddy who does his intervals w power meter and feels that really improves consistency of effort over just watching the Live Segment alone. I'm ordering some power pedals soon. We'll see if it helps!
I have had a PM for awhile. I will say that when you start doing intervals with power, it takes a bit of practice to be consistent. I have an old Garmin 500 and I set one of my pages to show 10s Power and Lap avg. Power. I just focus on making both those numbers equal my target wattage. I use 10s power for the smoothing. 1s is way too jumpy.
Likes For caloso: