Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do you deal with a car honking at you? Today I yelled back

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How do you deal with a car honking at you? Today I yelled back

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-20, 11:54 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
My typical response to ********'s is to gradually slow down, even to a near standstill. Eventually they will get sick of slowing down too, especially if they become the ones getting honked at from behind.
Old 11-13-20, 12:46 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
The laws in my state don't help much. Putting myself in a driver's position wanting to pass a cyclist on a relatively narrow section of roadway that has a double yellow line (95% of the roads i ride) that driver has 2 options. 1.) Cross the double yellow line to pass the cyclist, and risk a a $250 fine. Or 2.) Don't cross the double yellow when passing, and risk a $30 fine for violating our "3 foot law".

I'm not aware of any exception for passing a cyclist over a double yellow line, but cops do it all the time when they pass me, so I "assume" that law enforcement make an exception for this, but the truth is I really don't know. We need clearer laws on this subject, IMO.
NC has a 4 ft passing law, but drivers are allowed (actually instructed) to cross the double yellow in the process if they can do it safely. IIRC, the fine print says that cars can cross the double yellow if they're passing something that's traveling at or less than half the posted speed limit. However, I imagine that most drivers aren't aware of this law - certainly neither of my children ever heard of it when they were doing Driver's Ed - but most drivers IME are willing to cross the double yellow to pass me. If a car won't pass, I just let them stew. If they start blowing the horn, I wave them past, I may give them a "WTF?!" hand wave, but no middle fingers - that's just unnecessarily provocative. If it's a large truck and I'm climbing, I'll pull over. I give way to anything that wouldn't even notice if it squashed me.

Last edited by Litespud; 11-13-20 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-13-20, 01:02 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
When they honk, i wave to acknowledge I hear them. I then continue as before.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 11-13-20, 01:12 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
NC has a 4 ft passing law, but drivers are allowed (actually instructed) to cross the double yellow in the process if they can do it safely. IIRC, the fine print says that cars can cross the double yellow if they're passing something that's traveling at or less than half the posted speed limit. However, I imagine that most drivers aren't aware of this law - certainly neither of my children ever heard of it when they were doing Driver's Ed - but most drivers IME are willing to cross the double yellow to pass me. If a car won't pass, I just let them stew. If they start blowing the horn, I wave them past, I may give them a "WTF?!" hand wave, but no middle fingers - that's just unnecessarily provocative. If it's a large truck and I'm climbing, I'll pull over. I give way to anything that wouldn't even notice if it squashed me.
An Update:
I looked up the specific NC traffic law, and I was mistaken about the speed limit aspect -there's isn't one, as far as I see. The specific conditions that allow drivers to cross the double yellow are:
The slower moving vehicle to be passed is a bicycle or a moped.
The slower moving vehicle is proceeding in the same direction as the faster moving vehicle.
The driver of the faster moving vehicle either (i) provides a minimum of four feet between the faster moving vehicle and the slower moving vehicle or (ii) completely enters the left lane of the highway.
The operator of the slower moving vehicle is not (i) making a left turn or (ii) signaling that he or she intends to make a left turn.
Old 11-13-20, 01:17 PM
John Foster

Bikes: '16 Scott CR1 '82 Norco MagnumII

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Goody Two Shoes

There is no communication possible with private vehicles. If a truck honks at me and I can read and remember the business name, I phone the company and ask to speak to dispatch. I say where and when the incident occurred and apologize for offending their driver. I figure that way if I did something wrong I am helping with the overall image of cyclists, if the driver was just being a jerk it might humble him a bit when his dispatcher askes about the incident.
Old 11-13-20, 01:21 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
I respond when I can with Marine Air Horn Blast at the Drivers window.

Old 11-13-20, 01:24 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
When you have an air horn and a hammer, every problem becomes either a nail, or someone to blast in the face with deafening noise.
Old 11-13-20, 02:29 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
I ignore the asshats in 3000lb guided missiles but that's my sense of self preservation. But in this situation? It's never happened to me so I'm not sure what I'd do. Probably get over as far to the right as possible and then stop. Or hop up the curb and stop.

I'd never yell at someone. I'm not a tough guy. And I assume that some jackwagon at level 7 (continually hocking for no reason) would likely become a jackwagon to level 10 with some cyclist screaming at them. That's always a bad idea. Plus, now some white masked men have power over you.

News flash. You lost this round.

Good luck next time.
Old 11-13-20, 04:08 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
sucks for the driver not knowing the road laws. The OP should have just kept on riding.

last vehicle to demonstrate road rage was submitted to the LPD via video.
Old 11-13-20, 06:01 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Troul
sucks for the driver not knowing the road laws
Not when they force you off the road.
Old 11-13-20, 06:04 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
i'm not too proud for hood surfing.
Old 11-13-20, 11:57 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
Sometimes I blow them kisses.
Funny but potentially dangerous

Old 11-14-20, 06:13 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I'm in the "cheerfully wave" camp. If they're basically decent they might regret the honking or wonder if I'm someone they should recognize, but if they're just trying to make someone miserable I hope they'll feel frustrated and foolish.
Old 11-14-20, 06:18 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
I wave most of the time.

Old 11-14-20, 08:55 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Funny but potentially dangerous
I accept the risk and ride on.
Old 11-15-20, 12:55 AM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
I just wave, like they're old friends.
I have to admit, when a driver is very disrespectful, I will apply the brakes with my middle fingers. Nobody sees it, but I know they're there
Old 11-15-20, 02:02 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
My most memorable such incident was on a four-lane one-way street, headed downtown before the morning rush. There's virtually no traffic, and I'm in the right lane. A car comes up behind me and lays on the horn for far too long to be anything but obnoxious. I ignored him and held my line. Eventually he went around - and it was four guys in suits headed to work. Just weird.

What is that story where everyone is some iteration of you (or me)... The Egg, right? A useful concept, I just have a hard time being that guy.
Old 11-15-20, 04:08 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 410 Posts
If a car honks at you, ignore it, it's only noise. The driver may be ignorant, he may be stupid, he may be crazy, and all three are good reasons to avoid getting into an altercation. Even if the driver is not a 6' 200 pound Bubba Bigthumb, he could always be armed, and even if he isn:t armed, he is behind the wheel of a machine which can do far more harm to a human body than any gun yet invented. People today are too easily offended, and too quick to start yelling, screaming, and then hitting or shooting each other. If you have to get angry at any person who offends or annoys you, you are going to be annoyed or offended for the better part of the rest of you life.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 11-15-20, 09:40 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Just let it go and be happy they didn’t run you down or stop the truck and beat the 💩 out of you.
With the way our country is going these days, becoming more and more divided and turning on each other because we're all so unhappy with the way things are going these days, we don't want to give anyone that final push to make them want to attack us. Things are getting uglier and uglier out there so we need to stay as safe as possible.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 11-15-20, 09:42 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
"Turn the other seat stay"?
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 11-15-20, 10:42 AM
bocobiking
bocobiking

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Paramount, 1974 Raleigh Super Course, 1984 Columbine, 1979 Richard Sachs, 2003 Serotta Legend Ti, 2005 Serotta Concours

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts
I must admit that I run contrary to the accepted wisdom of this thread, and have for 45 years of riding. If a motor vehicle needlessly, obnoxiously honks at me, I immediately yell an obscenity loud enough for passengers to hear me. For me, it relieves my stress of the situation. It has never resulted in any harm.

My favorite story: a group of college kids passed yelling loud enough to startle the crap out of me. Their car got stopped by a light a couple of blocks ahead. I caught up, put my head inside their rear window (it was summer), and yelled at the top of my lungs. Their instant panic was priceless.

I don't like being made to feel like a sitting duck doormat for jerks "out of an abundance of caution."
Likes For bocobiking:
Old 11-15-20, 11:02 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

When I flip them the bird, I love it when they flip it back. That tells me they didn't miss it.

I enjoy the confirmation
Likes For GlennR:
Old 11-15-20, 11:04 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
When I flip them the bird, I love it when they flip it back. That tells me they didn't miss it.

I enjoy the confirmation
confirmation and validation are wonderful things, however you get them.

Old 11-15-20, 11:08 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

confirmation and validation are wonderful things, however you get them.
BTW... i usually do it after they pass. No need to do it when you're in the "kill zone".

Amazed how many look in their rear view mirror when they finally pass you. I guess they want to make sure they didn't "hit and run".
Old 11-15-20, 11:45 AM
shrimp123

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
mostly i ignore them and move on. I sometimes take it as a wake-up signal to be more careful

but, there was this one time when i caught up with the driver at a signal and she gave a friendly smile and was even nicer to ask how the ride was going. I said it was ok, but, told her i was surprised that she honked at me. She profusely apologized and said she just wanted to gentle beep to "let me know", but landed up with a honk..... we got talking and we BOTH got honked by the car behind when the lights apparently had turned green. she had the most beautiful grin - made my day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.