Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

LBS vs Snob?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-20, 05:25 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed Wiser
I use Velofix. Which will come to your home an fix your bike.
https://www.velofix.com/
I have been using them for years now and don’t trust a LBS to work on my bikes.
Another satisfied Velofix customer.
Old 11-13-20, 05:38 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
My doorman’s brother is a bike mechanic and makes house calls. He is great.
Old 11-13-20, 05:39 PM
DDzBike

Bikes: Giant Anyroad Comax

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
The only time I think someone might deserve fast-lane service would be if they were a very loyal customer who brought significant income to the shop and had a pressing need to get something fixed (a break on the way home, or a race/fondo coming up the next day), rather than just a jerk with disposable income that gives them a sense of entitlement because they feel that their time is worth more than others.

Since the employee called him sir, sounds like he's not a good enough customer to be on a first-name basis with the shop, and is just as self-centered as the reply gallery assumes he is.
I'd go with this.
Old 11-13-20, 06:00 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
That all sounds correct, but the DMV doesn't sell cars of any type.

I'm guessing the complainer bought the expensive bike at the LBS, and believed that came with some type of 'move to the front of the line' Disney-type of pass.
Maybe he's a cheap rich man and doesn't tip the mechanics.

I find a 6 pack of their favorite beer moves you to the front of the line.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 11-13-20, 06:31 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR

Is the beer thing a real incentive, or just one of those things people think works? I guess I could install a rear rack to accommodate such, but seems excessive and questionable.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 11-13-20, 06:33 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts

If that’s the case, your bike shop lacks integrity.
Cant wait to watch this topic blow up (again)...
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-13-20, 06:50 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts

Every Friday after Thanksgiving, I take my LBS crew a 5 lb can of butter cookies. One year I took them a large container of these super thin crispy ginger snaps from this place called World Market. They really liked those and they always anticipate my Friday visit for cookie day.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 11-13-20, 07:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,981 Times in 2,661 Posts
Is the beer thing a real incentive, or just one of those things people think works? I guess I could install a rear rack to accommodate such, but seems excessive and questionable.
Ehhh we had to borrow a floor pump and a shock pump at a shop on a camping trip our company was on and I bought them beer, they were all quite happy even if it was just to borrow something mundane but why not brighten someones day especially now.
Most of the employees where I work are happy to get beer. I don't personally drink beer but cook with it and always appreciate a bottle or can to make something tasty. Just made some beer battered onion rings last week which were delicious and the beer was supplied by a customer.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-13-20, 07:15 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
I work in a bike shop in a midsized very conservative Midwest city and have never heard a customer snark at another person's bike or expect to get to the front of the line. In fact I have experienced a few "rich guys" pay for another person's bike repair as that other person did not have the means to get it done right. I have had people ask to cut in line, but not expect it. Happy trails!
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 11-13-20, 07:43 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
Maybe he should have bought the FastPass
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 11-13-20, 08:15 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Is the beer thing a real incentive, or just one of those things people think works?
Actually i don't care if it works. I've know the guys there for 10 years, bought over $15,000 worth of bikes and other than replacing the bottom bracket and truing wheels... I do all my own work.

The beer is more of a show of appreciation when for answering my questions.

Originally Posted by Rolla
Nah... no quid pro quo.

They are very honest. I've seen them send customers to other shops if the customer needs a part and they don't have it.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 11-13-20, 08:33 PM
Rolla

no quid pro quo.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-13-20, 08:35 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

One of these things is not like the other.
I was joking. Sorry, i forgot the (j/k)

I don't need to get on the line.. i do 99% of my own work.

Likes For GlennR:
Old 11-13-20, 09:20 PM
hsuBM
jj

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
I’ve silently been that guy, but I’m not good at having silent body language. My LBS folks, God bless ‘em, read me like grammar school homework and usually ask if I don’t mind to hang around for a bit (an hour or two) while they juggle doing the work on my bike and handling other customers.

I feel bad that somehow this dynamic has been put upon them to push off other service work for other customers, even if it maybe/probably is something which they do for all of their “this guy/girl has bought at least one bike from us and will buy at least one more” customers... but, man, even with the line-cutter guilt is it freaking sweet- especially since there’s both interesting used bikes and new exotics to browse, and a pretty great restaurant next door.

I have brought them some some sort of booze or other gifts, usually after they’ve been super accommodating or I’ve been a gigantic PITA. It’s definitely more about me “balancing my guilt checkbook” so I don’t break out in hives than trying to My Name Is Earl some good karma into my life. It’s rather heartwarming that a wicked sick Lester aluminum bmx mag rim I came upon somehow which I’d eventually gifted them made its way into the decor of their new, more upscale location that they’d grown into. The guy who builds my wheels keeps letting me try his completely sick spanking new bikes despite my reputation for breaking stuff- I don’t 0% think his propensity for that is due to me usually bringing in a bottle of Maker’s a week or so later.

Fancy burger or burrito, corn whisky, espresso, No.22 and Merckx bikes to drool at, and getting a headset & rear wheel bearing set swapped is a great way to cool down after a 70 mile ride with 7 miles to go to get back home. Totally beats dropping off either my No.1 or one of my n+1’s and waiting weeks and weeks and weeks.

I do try to compliment the folks there with the beaten to heck, currently worth $35-125 bikes when I can do so earnestly. Sometimes, despite the disconnected front brake, the gel pad covered nose-up slammed saddle, and the MIA grips it’s easy due to either pretty cool paint or “OMFG Dude, that’s an ‘84 Trek with full Shimano 600! I’ll bet it’s a lot comfier with the handlebars turned up like that.” ...sometimes I have no compliments to give.
Likes For hsuBM:
Old 11-13-20, 09:42 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
The worst are the really rich and the wanna be rich, both are cheap and demanding in general. The true middle to upper middle class tend to be generous. Rochester, NY was the worst for tips, commented to some coworkers one day on how awful Rochesterians were at tipping when people were so generous when I worked in Albany. Got a tip that same day that they started to rib me on till I pointed out they were bike tourists riding through from Albany.

Pizza at lunch time gets better results from my experience. We never had a problem working through our lunch break if there was a large cheese and a 2lt of coke. But, typically the only people who ever did that were regulars who we were on good terms with and who usually had a pressing need and even they knew you didn't get on the spot service every time. The beer thing is that some really good customers like to come in and shoot the breeze and they'll bring a beer at closing time. Bike shops aren't like a lot of retail, when it closes a lot of times the employees will sit around working on their own stuff and regulars with beers don't get kicked out and can hang around, at least most of the places I worked.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 11-13-20, 09:46 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6952 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts

Cant wait to watch this topic blow up (again)...
I have to drive about 80 miles each way to my fave shop, and so sometimes call ahead to see if they can work on a bike while I do other errands in the city, so that I can pick it up later the same day and save another trip. And they usually do it, if the work isn't too involved. Oh, and they give great service, really beyond expectations. So, yeah, I tip them, bring beer, other food -- even if I know I will be leaving the bike with them. I also buy things from them (almost $10k over the past 18 months), never haggle over prices, never haul out my phone to ask if they'll match an internet price, etc.

It's not a quid pro quo, not a matter of their integrity. But if people treat each other well, with appreciation and respect, it goes a long way.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-13-20, 09:48 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedRanger
Yesterday a guy (customer) was complaining to the owner of a LBS about lengthy turn around time for repairs because of, "too many cheap bikes coming into the shop".
This shop does sell high end brands and models, but there was a noticeable row of out of place department looking bikes in need of repair.

I own both high and low quality bikes but do my own wrenching, so I never gave thought to this first world problem.
Does this guy have a point, or is he stuck up because he rolled in with an expensive bike and was told 2 weeks for repairs?
The latter. There is no place for people like that.
Old 11-13-20, 10:15 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,626 Times in 2,915 Posts
I was joking. Sorry, i forgot the (j/k)

I don't need to get on the line.. i do 99% of my own work.

That is WAY too many 4 cylinder Bosch distributors. What’s up with those, besides rebuilding? (says the guy with a 71 914-6 conversion).

As far as the thread: In the immortal words of the patron saints of automotive repair, Click and Clack, That guy deserves a dope slap.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-13-20, 10:23 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
My wife was a maternity nurse for 15 years, she always told me that the worst patient was the wife\girlfriend\baby mama of a doctor. She had a patient once that was the wife of a heart surgeon that practiced in the same hospital that she used to work with. She was being very demanding and threw out the "do to you who my husband is". My wife called the doctor-husband and he immediately came to the room and told her to keep her mouth shut and treat the nursing staff with respect and not talk down to them. He told her she was embarrassing him how she was acting and he would not stand for it. My wife said she never heard another peep out of her. He bought the the nursing staff lunch to apologize for her actions.

Old 11-13-20, 11:45 PM
Rolla

Originally Posted by Koyote
I have to drive about 80 miles each way to my fave shop, and so sometimes call ahead to see if they can work on a bike while I do other errands in the city, so that I can pick it up later the same day and save another trip. And they usually do it, if the work isn't too involved. Oh, and they give great service, really beyond expectations. So, yeah, I tip them, bring beer, other food -- even if I know I will be leaving the bike with them. I also buy things from them (almost $10k over the past 18 months), never haggle over prices, never haul out my phone to ask if they'll match an internet price, etc.

It's not a quid pro quo, not a matter of their integrity. But if people treat each other well, with appreciation and respect, it goes a long way.
Making an appointment and then tipping well afterwards is a whole different thing than buying your way to the front of the line.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-14-20, 12:10 AM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
Pre Covid, my LBS might sneak my bike in and out real quick for a small repair or adjustment because I’ve taken my bikes there for years for repairs I can’t do at home. I never expected at asked them, they could sometimes do it as a courtesy. Now they are so much busier, so that isn’t happening.

Fwiw, my bikes are not expensive. $500 to $800 when new.
Likes For raceboy:
Old 11-14-20, 06:48 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by rsbob
That is WAY too many 4 cylinder Bosch distributors. What’s up with those, besides rebuilding? (says the guy with a 71 914-6 conversion).

As far as the thread: In the immortal words of the patron saints of automotive repair, Click and Clack, That guy deserves a dope slap.
That's not a lot.. this is. I have a home based business where I restore Bosch distributors for VW/Porsche/Mercedes/Alfa/Volvo/BMW/Borgward from post war (1946) to the mid 70s.

Old 11-14-20, 07:15 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6952 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
Making an appointment and then tipping well afterwards is a whole different thing than buying your way to the front of the line.
Agreed. I guess that was my long-winded way of saying that if the guy was a regular customer who was considerate to the LBS employees, they may have fixed his bike more quickly. But instead, he sounds like Mr. Underhill from "Fletch."

Last edited by Koyote; 11-14-20 at 07:41 AM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-14-20, 07:19 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedRanger
...Does this guy have a point...
The part of all this that surprises me the most is that you have to ask..

..odd..
Old 11-14-20, 07:53 AM
SpeedRanger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
The part of all this that surprises me the most is that you have to ask..

..odd..

I asked because I haven't dealt with a LBS for repairs in 20 years, so I was curious if today's entitled consumer trend found its way into a bike shop.
If this trend surprises you, there are books available on the subject ....

Likes For SpeedRanger:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.