Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Top Tube Protectors

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Top Tube Protectors

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-20, 11:24 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
Top Tube Protectors

I was looking for a solution to protect the TT on a few of my bikes, I had been using some pipe insulation and have seen some TTP's that looked like rubber/composite. Doing a search and adding BikeForums at the end resulted in a few old threads. I ran across one that mentioned clear 1" tubing but also tagged "Kashimax".
Members we complaining about the $39.00 cost (2007). I agreed with them about the high price but googled it anyway... to my surprise a "vintage" one sold on Bay for $200.00,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kashimax-Fi...-/293816978500
The new stuff is $60.00, any idea why the higher price on the Vintage piece?
$60.00 is still crazy money so 1" clear tubing seems like the way to go.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 12-09-20, 11:27 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
@ascherer's solution is fairly creative. Andy, please show it. And happy birthday.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 12-09-20, 11:39 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
For riders that get locked up in town, I've used shower curtain rod protectors at a cost of a buck or two.
Also works on rust bucket frames you don't care about and if you can find a close colour match, Bob's Your Uncle.
Likes For clubman:
Old 12-09-20, 11:53 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
clubman That's a great idea. Do you think I can find a shower curtain rod in Root Beer color? I still love the idea and will keep it in mind. That reminds me. I could actually use some shower curtain rod cover for my shower curtain rod.
Old 12-09-20, 11:57 AM
car knocker
Bicyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Top tube protection

Originally Posted by clubman
For riders that get locked up in town, I've used shower curtain rod protectors at a cost of a buck or two.
Also works on rust bucket frames you don't care about and if you can find a close colour match, Bob's Your Uncle.
For a clear one use florescent tube sleeves found in Lowe's or Home Depot.
Old 12-09-20, 12:17 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Help me understand what you are trying to protect it from? Are you talking about frame protector tape like helicopter tape for debris?
Likes For jadocs:
Old 12-09-20, 06:27 PM
uncleivan 

Bikes: '92 MX Leader, 84 Colnago Mexico, 85 Recherche, 86 Panasonic ATB Pro, 88 Roberts, 80 moser... ect

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 67 Posts
I bought a length of this vinyl tubing at home depot. I just cut what i needed, and slit it down the middle. I cover it with a strip of black velcro. Works just fine

Likes For uncleivan:
Old 12-09-20, 08:45 PM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by jadocs
Help me understand what you are trying to protect it from? Are you talking about frame protector tape like helicopter tape for debris?
Originally Posted by uncleivan
I bought a length of this vinyl tubing at home depot. I just cut what i needed, and slit it down the middle. I cover it with a strip of black velcro. Works just fine

Much Cheaper than $59.00 and a nice solution to brakes/bars banging into the TT....has anyone checked the price of Flea Flickers lately?
Best, Ben

Old 12-09-20, 10:06 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,922 Times in 976 Posts
OK, noglider. And thanks

I thought I'd be having a great 2020 season commuting on a new build, a 1971 Raleigh International frame with an 8-speed Sturmey internal geared hub and upright setup. I live and work in Manhattan so it would be locked up during the day and also serve as a grocery and errand bike. Well, I do the shopping part but only rode to the office once before we started working remotely.

I wanted to protect the old finish from whatever I'd be locking it to. This isn't an economy solution: I started with a Velo Orange leather top tube protector that I bought when they had one of their periodic sales. Unfortunately it's out of stock now, but it's high quality oil tanned leather, pre-punched for lacing. Once I had it on, I realized that I needed coverage for the seat and down tubes. I remembered that I had some Brooks leather handlebar tape that was taken off another bike so I wrapped the tubes with those. The bike may be a commuter but it's not a beater.

Likes For ascherer:
Old 12-09-20, 10:16 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
Hi Ben,
This is a hot item in fixie land, NJS approved Kashimax Five Gold frame protector that I believe has been out of production for 10 years or more. I think the reason these work so well is the little metal shim buried in the urethane (guess) spreads the impact of a handlebar hit over a much larger area would be possible with the squishy stuff alone. I would love to have one for a Stratos track frame that needs to be built up sometime...
Retrogression sells a copy of the Five Gold protector for $15.00 but no shim.
https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...tube-protector

: Mike

Old 12-09-20, 11:09 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 212 Posts
I was going to cobble something together to protect the TT on the Cannondale bike I have. This bike uses those plastic cable guides and I wanted to afford them some protection from getting hit by a foot when stepping a leg through while mounting.
Old 12-10-20, 12:15 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
Help me understand what you are trying to protect it from?
Sweat and the misery the top tube of some bikes suffer ( have seen top tube brake cable guides rusted right through or gone all together)...
Old 12-10-20, 04:33 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
You can buy clear plastic which is sticky on one side, and stick it on. Some people use it for covering books. Some people in Australia call it contact. It is clear plastic, so people don't even see it. In Australia, you can buy it in shops selling stationary supplies. At least some brands shrink a little when heated, so you can make it fit unusual shapes using a cigarette lighter. In S E Asia, many motorbikes have in on all the parts which may get scratched. Some people run a business sticking it on motorbikes. I had it stuck on the bar of my bike in S E Asia. It is still good after 3 years, including getting wet in the rain many times.

In Australia there is also a spray on product which forms a clear plastic layer. Check for it in shops selling car accessories.

Things available in Australia, are probably available in the US, and many other countries, maybe the same brand, maybe a similar product.
Old 12-10-20, 07:34 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,695 Times in 934 Posts
I’ve been thinking about trying to hide a TT dent from myself.

It’s *JUST* within my peripheral vision.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 12-10-20, 07:42 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts

Cotton bar tape works if you just want to protect the paint
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 12-10-20, 07:51 AM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
clubman That's a great idea. Do you think I can find a shower curtain rod in Root Beer color? I still love the idea and will keep it in mind. That reminds me. I could actually use some shower curtain rod cover for my shower curtain rod.
shower curtain rod cover+root beer paint.
Old 12-10-20, 08:06 AM
jadocs

Originally Posted by randyjawa
Sweat and the misery the top tube of some bikes suffer ( have seen top tube brake cable guides rusted right through or gone all together)...
Randy thanks, I was scratching my head trying to figure out if it was for hanging the bike on a rack or something like that.
Old 12-10-20, 08:16 AM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
Cushioned bar tape came to mind for me.
Old 12-10-20, 09:24 AM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
Hi Ben,
This is a hot item in fixie land, NJS approved Kashimax Five Gold frame protector that I believe has been out of production for 10 years or more. I think the reason these work so well is the little metal shim buried in the urethane (guess) spreads the impact of a handlebar hit over a much larger area would be possible with the squishy stuff alone. I would love to have one for a Stratos track frame that needs to be built up sometime...
Retrogression sells a copy of the Five Gold protector for $15.00 but no shim.
https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...tube-protector

: Mike

Originally Posted by ascherer
OK, noglider. And thanks

I thought I'd be having a great 2020 season commuting on a new build, a 1971 Raleigh International frame with an 8-speed Sturmey internal geared hub and upright setup. I live and work in Manhattan so it would be locked up during the day and also serve as a grocery and errand bike. Well, I do the shopping part but only rode to the office once before we started working remotely.

I wanted to protect the old finish from whatever I'd be locking it to. This isn't an economy solution: I started with a Velo Orange leather top tube protector that I bought when they had one of their periodic sales. Unfortunately it's out of stock now, but it's high quality oil tanned leather, pre-punched for lacing. Once I had it on, I realized that I needed coverage for the seat and down tubes. I remembered that I had some Brooks leather handlebar tape that was taken off another bike so I wrapped the tubes with those. The bike may be a commuter but it's not a beater.

Originally Posted by Germany_chris

Cotton bar tape works if you just want to protect the paint
Lots of great solutions, many thanks...and Mike I still like that color scheme but to old to be in the FIXIE crowd!
Best, Ben

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 12-10-20, 10:36 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
Help me understand what you are trying to protect it from
On a fixed gear /track bike with no shift or brake cables, the handlebar can swing back and smack the top tube hard enough to dent it.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 12-10-20, 10:40 AM
jadocs

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
On a fixed gear /track bike with no shift or brake cables, the handlebar can swing back and smack the top tube hard enough to dent it.
Ahh....yes, I see now!
Old 12-10-20, 11:06 AM
OuterMarker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
To protect my bikes from bike locks, I took some thin yoga mat material and wrapped it around my locks.
Old 12-10-20, 11:17 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
The problem occurs after one has carefully positioned and nestled one's bike into position and locked it up. When you return, some nimrod pushes your bike around in order to park his/her bike and yours slides and scrapes itself down the rack. Hence the full-on covers for utility bikes.
Old 12-11-20, 12:51 PM
xiaoman1 

I never leave my bike outside so a simple tube to protect the brake or handlebar from banging the tube is all that I need for protection.
I went to the local hardware store and bought a 1-foot length of plastic tubing as suggested and cut 4 tubes from it. The tubing was hard and I used boilng water to soften and return it to its original round shape etc.
It still needs trimming but for .99 cents it was the way to go.

Untrimmed with ragged edges.

Still needs a trim but better aesthetically than the pipe insulation that I have been using/riding with.
Thanks for the tips everyone,
Best, Ben

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 12-11-20, 01:09 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
For basic handlebar-swing top tube and down tube protection, I've been using a 3-layer or so wrap of the same self-fusing silicone tape I use to finish up my bar wraps. It fits tight enough that I don't have to worry about it moving/rotating slightly, and also tight enough to not allow any dirt/dust/etc to sneak in underneath. When I've carefully cut it off a top tube after a stem reach/height adjustment changed the handlebar contact point, it's always clean as a whistle underneath. (Why do we assume whistles are clean? Aren't they usually in the mouth of humans, full of saliva and food particles?).

I don't know if they disperse enough shock to prevent top tube dings from actual crash-ups, but they make a reassuring dull thud noise on the stand, in the garage, at rest stops, etc.

I also do a silicone tape wrap at the bar ends, because when my bikes fall over, and they fall over even when noglider isn't around, it seems like the ends often hit first, and the tape/wrap gets torn there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.