Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Advice on Purchasing 2011 S-Works from Private Seller

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Advice on Purchasing 2011 S-Works from Private Seller

Old 02-10-21, 12:27 PM
patnoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Incorrect

Di2 and disc won't make you any faster, but you'll enjoy the way they work(zero needed adjustments).
Please elaborate (not the comment on Di2 and disk brakes). If lighter frames and lighter components do not lead to easier riding, then why do people pay big bucks for them? Prestige only?
Old 02-10-21, 12:42 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by patnoe
Please elaborate (not the comment on Di2 and disk brakes). If lighter frames and lighter components do not lead to easier riding, then why do people pay big bucks for them? Prestige only?
Is google broken today?

Do a little research on the topic. It's been discussed here many many times
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 02-10-21, 12:53 PM
patnoe

Is google broken today?

Do a little research on the topic. It's been discussed here many many times
You are correct. Sorry. Found this with just a little research: "But even if small reductions can’t be felt, the fact is that a lighter bike requires objectively less power to move. Especially on climbs, the power-to-weight ratio of bike and rider plays a huge part in overall performance."
Likes For patnoe:
Old 02-10-21, 01:04 PM
noodle soup

You are correct. Sorry. Found this with just a little research: "But even if small reductions can’t be felt, the fact is that a lighter bike requires objectively less power to move. Especially on climbs, the power-to-weight ratio of bike and rider plays a huge part in overall performance."
Correct.

On climbs, bike weight makes a difference, but it's a very small difference. I weigh 183lbs, and my bike weighs 17lbs(just an example), or 200lbs total. If I drop 2 lbs off the bike, that is a 1% weight reduction.

How much of a difference do you think that will make in speed?

Last edited by noodle soup; 02-10-21 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-10-21, 01:22 PM
patnoe

Correct.

On climbs, bike weight makes a difference, but it's a very small difference. I weigh 183lbs, and my bike weighs 17lbs(just an example), or 200lbs total. If I drop 2 lbs off the bike, that is a 1% weight reduction.

How much of a difference do you think that will make in speed?
You make a good point. Sounds like unless you are racing, where every little advantage matters, then you are better off investing in wheels. Interesting though that you do have a light bike.
Likes For patnoe:
Old 02-10-21, 01:34 PM
noodle soup

You make a good point. Sounds like unless you are racing, where every little advantage matters, then you are better off investing in wheels. Interesting though that you do have a light bike.
A light bicycle handles better, accelerates slightly quicker, and brakes slightly faster. Lightweight bikes are more enjoyable to ride(JMO) but average speed changes very little(except on steeper climbs)

FTR, my bike is slightly under 17lbs with 9000 series Di2 and hydraulic discs.
Old 02-10-21, 03:11 PM
patnoe

A light bicycle handles better, accelerates slightly quicker, and brakes slightly faster. Lightweight bikes are more enjoyable to ride(JMO) but average speed changes very little(except on steeper climbs)

FTR, my bike is slightly under 17lbs with 9000 series Di2 and hydraulic discs.
Thanks. This has been very informative. What do you ride, if you don't mind sharing?
Old 02-10-21, 05:24 PM
noodle soup

Thanks. This has been very informative. What do you ride, if you don't mind sharing?

Old 02-10-21, 07:24 PM
lifanus

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
That does help a lot. I am riding a 2009 Roubaix Comp with very nice Dura Ace wheels. I have been thinking of upgrading to a 2016 or later S-works Roubaix. I figured that going from 9r to 11r frame and from 105 to Dura-Ace components would make a difference in the speed-to-effort ratio. I also desire Di2 shifting and disk brakes, but that is more icing on the cake.
My 2009 Roubaix Comp is with 105 groupsets and I put on an Ultegra Wheelset and ran tubeless tires on it, and it actually made quite a big improvement on the rolling resistance compared to the stock Specialized/Mavic CXP wheelset and cheap tires, which was quite heavy and felt slow at times. With new wheelset, the weight of the bike actually also dropped to sub 21lb, compared to stock wheelset/tires and tubes at sub 24lb.

I don't think I'll go disc anytime soon since I really don't race in the rain, but do fancy the new etap wireless shifting stuff, so maybe someday I'll buy the etap groupset and upgrade my 10 s-works, since it's not compatible with di2 which needed internal cabling to run...

On the lighter bike is faster thing, I agree with Noodle Soup... My sub 17lb bike is not any faster than my sub 21lb bike. Only very slightly faster when climbing hills, since I live on hills... The amount of effort felt the same when climbing, but again I'm not a racer just love to ride for fun. If you have the money to spend on a $10k bike, sure why not, buy it, show it off in group rides or win races, which ever make you feel better

Last edited by lifanus; 02-10-21 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-10-21, 08:32 PM
patnoe

Originally Posted by lifanus
My 2009 Roubaix Comp is with 105 groupsets and I put on an Ultegra Wheelset and ran tubeless tires on it, and it actually made quite a big improvement on the rolling resistance compared to the stock Specialized/Mavic CXP wheelset and cheap tires, which was quite heavy and felt slow at times. With new wheelset, the weight of the bike actually also dropped to sub 21lb, compared to stock wheelset/tires and tubes at sub 24lb.

I don't think I'll go disc anytime soon since I really don't race in the rain, but do fancy the new etap wireless shifting stuff, so maybe someday I'll buy the etap groupset and upgrade my 10 s-works, since it's not compatible with di2 which needed internal cabling to run...

On the lighter bike is faster thing, I agree with Noodle Soup... My sub 17lb bike is not any faster than my sub 21lb bike. Only very slightly faster when climbing hills, since I live on hills... The amount of effort felt the same when climbing, but again I'm not a racer just love to ride for fun. If you have the money to spend on a $10k bike, sure why not, buy it, show it off in group rides or win races, which ever make you feel better
This thread had been terrific. I have changed my thinking on upgrading. I now think that since I really want Di2 shifting, I may look for an upper end used 2016 or later Roubaix with Ultegra Di2. 2016 or later Ultegra would be a huge upgrade from 2009 105 groupset since it is at least cycle later, so I would still get that small benefit on hills. My guess is that Roubaix with Ultegra probably only shows up on a frame lighter than my 2009 Roubaix Comp 9r frame.

Having said all that, I recently found a new 2019 S-works Roubaix on sale for $6799 which is a bit tempting.
Old 02-11-21, 10:28 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6176 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Having said all that, I recently found a new 2019 S-works Roubaix on sale for $6799 which is a bit tempting.
In the 2020 spring sale Specialized was offering the new old stock 2019 S-Works Roubaix for slightly less than that. So maybe not so good deal for purchaser but good deal for seller.

However if this is Specialized current offer for their NOS, then I guess that is what it is.
Old 02-11-21, 11:35 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Iride01
In the 2020 spring sale Specialized was offering the new old stock 2019 S-Works Roubaix for slightly less than that. So maybe not so good deal for purchaser but good deal for seller.

However if this is Specialized current offer for their NOS, then I guess that is what it is.
I saw a 2019 being sold by Mike’s Bikes for $6799, so I’ll speculate that Specialized set the price.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 02-11-21, 11:56 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3650 Post(s)
Liked 5,389 Times in 2,734 Posts
OP has apparently moved on to a different bike. https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...idea-good.html
Old 02-11-21, 03:55 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
As to price, $2500 seems reasonable for a Di2 11sp bike in pristine condition, considering the 303 wheels which are ballpark 850 on ebay.

If it's built 11 speed, and is in less than pristine condition, I would be closer to $2000.

HOWEVER, Dunno if it's been mentioned, but the SL3 frameset was the Tom Boonen era, and pretty much everyone agrees it was far too stiff for normal cyclists (read: non compliant for non gorillas). Specialized learned their lesson and the SL4 was much better.

I have an SL2, and had an SL4 and both were much better riding (the SL4 was better/more compliant than the SL2). But I am relating what everyone (dealers and riders) was talking about wrt the SL3 at the time.

I personally would hold our for finding an SL4 at minimum. (All of the above is SWorks only).
Old 02-13-21, 06:52 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by MeagreAger
There's a 2011 S-Works Tarmac for sale on bay area craigslist at 2.6k. ...
Old Di2 - you don't want that. Mine is in a box. Go NEW Di2 and pay, or cables. Target $1,500 and don't spend over $2K for a great used bike.

BTW - that looks 10speed, not 11 speed. Edit - other posted that - sorry for repeating.