Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

my 4 ebikes

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

my 4 ebikes

Old 12-27-20, 10:40 PM
northernjeep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 11 Posts
my 4 ebikes

First one was a BionX equipped road bike. I tossed the BionXhub and converted it to a Tongsheng mid drive for the wife. Second is my KHS fat bike, it uses a BBSHD and mostly gets used in winter. For summer use I built a Delta style trike based on Atomic Zombie plans, it runs another Tongsheng mid drive, I got the tongshengs for a reasonable price from aliexpress. I am now in the process of building another Delta trike that will be 2wd, left side pedal power via a jackshaft and right side a 500W geared hub motor. That ones kind of an experiment, not sure how well the 2wd will perform
Old 12-30-20, 10:59 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 189 Posts
I looked up the Deltawolf trike. Very nice, but too low for me.

My multiple ebikes include three 20" folders that we never fold, and a 20" minvello, all run with small geared hubmotors.. Both the bike gearing and the motors run out at 20 mph, which is more than fast enough. They're maneuverable and easy to get on/off. They can run on tool batteries, scooter packs, or proper ebike batteries. About 3700 miles on all four in 2020. The folders are our daily riders. We have an occasional guest, so that's why there are three. The mini was bought on clearance, and became an experiment in front drive. I dislike the way the hub bounces off rough pavement with the alloy forks.. MY back burner project is to mount my Tongsheng on it and quit worrying. I bought the Tongsheng before the tariff wars started, and never installed it. I plan to do it this winter. Since it's a 48V motor, I ordered some pre-welded cells which I will make into 12V10AH units. Then I''ll put them in series with my 36V packs.

Also have two old mountain bikes, one with a 500W geared motor and one with a BBS02. Only ridden them 350 and 100 miles respectively this year. Then I have my 26" fat tire bike, originally a $79 Walmart purchase with rim brakes. Now with disks and a 500W rear motor and summer tires, so I won't kill myself in the snow,
Old 12-31-20, 08:21 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I only have one ebike. A Blix Aveny that I commute to work weather permitting. This year I rode 2600 miles. I don't own a car and I ride a motorscooter or catch public transportation. My previous ebike was a Raleigh Retroglide ie. I started riding to ride to the recreation center and other places on my days off. I eventually started commuting one way once a week, then every other day, until I commuted four days a week. I started out with a Electra Townie 21D. My goal was to beat public transportation. After I accomplished beating public transportation, I purchased an ebike to make my commute times more consistent. Over the past two years, I lost 40 lbs and reduced my insulin intake by 90%. My goal this year (2021) is to get off of my diabetes medications. I want to lose another 20 lbs, but it's getting harder. I am seeing a nutritionist. We will see how things go. Happy New Year.
Likes For alloo:
Old 12-31-20, 08:34 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Man, you have some nice bikes.

Need to post some pics of the dual motor trike. I love Frankenstein projects.
Old 01-03-21, 03:38 PM
northernjeep

Once I get enough posts in and finish the welding on the revised frame I will for sure post a couple pics.
Old 02-04-21, 03:53 AM
fireboy1337

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I would like to see the photos very much interested
Old 02-14-21, 04:44 PM
northernjeep

Well it's been real cold so I've only spent a couple hours every other day in the heated garage working on the 2 wd delta. Both drivelines are on the trike and all brake, shifter and electrical cables are installed. The pedal side is using a 5 speed and a short cage derailleur. I just picked up a 1/2" and 3/4" conduit benders and some conduit to make a seat frame. There is a learning curve to that for sure but I'm starting to get it. Probably be another week before I can try welding it up and setting it up on the trike. A friend gave me the seat fabric from one of those gravity chairs and that's what I'll be using.
Old 02-14-21, 05:00 PM
northernjeep

Heres the fattie, it uses a BBSHD 1000 watt mid drive. I've been riding it for about 4 years now only thing that ever broke is one freehub.
Likes For northernjeep:
Old 02-14-21, 05:05 PM
northernjeep

And here is the delta I rode all last summer. It has 20" wheels all around and uses a 750 watt Tongsheng motor. Very comfortable although I might upgrade the seat since I just bought a couple of conduit benders.
Likes For northernjeep:
Old 02-14-21, 05:17 PM
northernjeep

And my experiment with a fat delta. First picture is without a body, next pic I added a blue coro body This one used a 750 watt BBSO2 mid drive. With the body I found it to be quite hot to pedal. Even at below zero temps. Where it was really good was the total rain protection. It's been taken apart and the frame has got 26" by 2.125 tires, geared hub right side and pedal on left side. Still under construction. The fat wheels and tires from the blue one will be used to build a LWB off road recumbent later this spring.

[url

And this is the recumbent that started me off, An Atomic Zombie based Warrior tadpole trike that initially used a BionX direct drive rear hub 500 watts. It was great for a few thousand km's but it had a hard life and I reused the wheels and drivetrain parts for my deltas which I now prefer. The picture is on a 60 KM charity ride.
Likes For northernjeep:
Old 03-08-21, 03:53 PM
northernjeep

Finally got the revised delta out for a test ride. It is 2wd, pedal power to the left rear wheel, 500w watt geared hub motor on the right. At the moment it uses rim brakes which I don't like but overall I feel quite pleased with the trike, It rides quite nicely and the hub motor really has alot of zip.
post a picture
Old 03-11-21, 08:09 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
That steering rod linkage looks interesting. Since you like the way the bike rides I guess it works well? Stable and good range of motion?

I need to get me a bigger garage so I can expand my bike projects.
Old 03-11-21, 07:28 PM
northernjeep

I have only had a chance to take it for a short test ride but did get it up 28 kpm and it handled that very well. It would have gotten a longer test ride today, March 11, but it snowed here so instead rear fenders were built and installed using coroplast. Plus a few other mods and little things I decided that needed to be changed. With any luck it will get a better ride tomorrow. The steering has quite a good range of motion, It will do a U turn in my back lane.
Old 04-05-21, 06:44 PM
northernjeep

The trike has now received a roof and a small windscreen to shield my face and my hands.
Old 04-06-21, 06:07 AM
klevin

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
amazing set of pictures. wish I had the creativity and ability to make such things.
Old 04-06-21, 09:10 AM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Still have only my one electric. Two-year old pic -It's getting a new pair of shoes this month: Maxxis Holly Rollers. A new chain too.

1st and only ebike to date
Old 04-06-21, 09:19 AM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Actually, my fab pic is the "first without the body" one, (though I "liked" the prior one): I need to take more of this type.
Old 04-12-21, 08:37 PM
Hide

Bikes: SHOCK LIT-Quick

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up

This looks so cool