Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

How common is 300w for an hour?

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

How common is 300w for an hour?

Old 02-16-21, 03:22 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
The accuracy isn't important? What happens when you use a powermeter outside? Or get a new trainer? Just resign yourself to starting all over with the data?

Accuracy is vitally important.

If my power meter reads 300 or 305 or 280 is totally irrelevant as long as it's consistently calibrated. Calibrate it against a known weight and as long as it's consistent you set your zones and go.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 02-16-21, 03:45 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by sewupnut
If I were lying in an ICU bed hooked up to heart, blood oxygen and breathing rate monitors, I would consider that accuracy "vitally" important. Trying to track my fitness, not so much.
So again, you just start over with the data?

If you're using a power meter to "track fitness", though, maybe this is all beyond your training requirements, anyway.
Old 02-16-21, 03:45 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by gsteinb
If my power meter reads 300 or 305 or 280 is totally irrelevant as long as it's consistently calibrated. Calibrate it against a known weight and as long as it's consistent you set your zones and go.
If it's consistently calibrated against a known weight, then it's also accurate.
Old 02-16-21, 06:04 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

sort of. Teton Rider used to argue in here about having your weight down to 10 grams. The 25 kg weight someone is using might be + or -, but as long as they keep using the same weight if it's 300 or 305 watts it's a bit of a shrug.
Old 02-16-21, 08:04 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
... As winning matters, not what the little gauge says....
That was when people race on real bikes outside against others on real bikes - on real roads.
Likes For Doge:
Old 02-17-21, 06:17 AM
rubiksoval

sort of. Teton Rider used to argue in here about having your weight down to 10 grams. The 25 kg weight someone is using might be + or -, but as long as they keep using the same weight if it's 300 or 305 watts it's a bit of a shrug.
Sure. That's close enough to 1.5%, which is within the accuracy range of the power meter itself anyway.
Old 02-17-21, 08:33 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I'm not assuming anyone is dumb, just posting a visual for what's being talked about currently with the meters:

Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 02-17-21, 02:26 PM
sewupnut

Bikes: 2005 Seven Odonata (DuraAce /Reynolds),1983 Trek 950 (Mavic/Suntour/Regina), 1986 Stumpjumper Shimano/Suntour/Regina), 1986 MASI 3V, (Campy/Mavic/Regina) 1995 Schwinn LeTour (Suntour/Wienmann/Phil/Shimano/Regina): All Brooks Saddles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So again, you just start over with the data?

If you're using a power meter to "track fitness", though, maybe this is all beyond your training requirements, anyway.
My trainer records power, GPS estimates calories burned. Those factors averaged over several workouts along with time and average speed of a given distance all factor into my fitness tracking. Now on race day, I check my resting pulse as it indicates whether I'll have a good day or not. I'd say the resting pulse is vital. Has been a good indicator for all the years I've raced.
Old 02-17-21, 02:50 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Sure. That's close enough to 1.5%, which is within the accuracy range of the power meter itself anyway.

make it 3% then, or 5%. The point is that as long as your numbers are consistent their absoluteness isn't very important.
Old 02-17-21, 06:50 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by sewupnut
My trainer records power, GPS estimates calories burned. Those factors averaged over several workouts along with time and average speed of a given distance all factor into my fitness tracking. Now on race day, I check my resting pulse as it indicates whether I'll have a good day or not. I'd say the resting pulse is vital. Has been a good indicator for all the years I've raced.
So you don't train by power, and this tangent is moot.
Old 02-17-21, 06:53 PM
rubiksoval

make it 3% then, or 5%. The point is that as long as your numbers are consistent their absoluteness isn't very important.
I currently have three different different power meters. In the past I've had several more. That they're all accurate is important, lest I have to start over with data accumulation and analysis for each and every one.

In addition, because they're accurate, I know that my smart trainer is not (and reads about 10% less). If I were trying to train by the numbers from my smart trainer, or use it for racing on Zwift, I'd have some serious frustration.

The point is, accuracy matters, otherwise the data from other powermeters is pretty worthless.
Old 02-17-21, 07:35 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Can't imagine having three different brands of power meters, or them being accurate to one another but I guess it depends what they are. I've had a handful or SRMs over the years. I've got 11 or 12 years of data I'm pretty good with.
Old 02-17-21, 09:33 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,950 Times in 1,570 Posts
I currently have three different different power meters. In the past I've had several more. That they're all accurate is important, lest I have to start over with data accumulation and analysis for each and every one.

In addition, because they're accurate, I know that my smart trainer is not (and reads about 10% less). If I were trying to train by the numbers from my smart trainer, or use it for racing on Zwift, I'd have some serious frustration.

The point is, accuracy matters, otherwise the data from other powermeters is pretty worthless.
10% sounds huge. What model is it?
Old 02-17-21, 09:34 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,950 Times in 1,570 Posts
I'm finally ready to retire my ptab hub... I've had three now and no other meters to date. Total boomer status, I know.

I'm thinking of doing the Favero pedals, they seem pretty cool.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 02-18-21, 12:01 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I have heard only excellent things about the ass pedals.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 02-18-21, 06:15 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by TMonk
10% sounds huge. What model is it?
Tacx Flux. It's rubbish.
Old 02-18-21, 06:16 AM
rubiksoval

Can't imagine having three different brands of power meters, or them being accurate to one another but I guess it depends what they are. I've had a handful or SRMs over the years. I've got 11 or 12 years of data I'm pretty good with.
SRM, Powertap, Quarq. (Also had a P2Max that was good, too).

Yes, well, that's the entire point of accuracy! That's what I'm saying.
Old 02-18-21, 06:18 AM
rubiksoval

I'm finally ready to retire my ptab hub... I've had three now and no other meters to date. Total boomer status, I know.

I keep thinking I won't use my G3 anymore, and I keep figuring out ways to need it (it's on my TT bike now). I'm going back and forth with rebuilding it in to a carbon aero rim...

I have looked at those pedals a dozen times and every time I convince myself to get them I think back to using those awful cleats (when I tried to go weightweenie with some Xpedos) and I abandon it. I just can't give up my SPD-SL cleats.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 02-18-21, 07:56 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts

What's wrong with powertap hubs? I really like mine, and it's how I race on zwift (on rollers - with a fork stand at the moment).
Old 02-18-21, 08:04 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

SRM, Powertap, Quarq. (Also had a P2Max that was good, too).

Yes, well, that's the entire point of accuracy! That's what I'm saying.

you're not hearing me. that's ok. moving on.
Old 02-18-21, 08:06 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by himespau
What's wrong with powertap hubs? I really like mine, and it's how I race on zwift (on rollers - with a fork stand at the moment).
My PT hub is on an aluminum rim. It's heavy, narrow, and doesn't match any of my front wheels. I don't particularly want to train on it because of that, and I definitely don't want to race on it when I have another rear wheel nearly .75 lbs lighter.

I had a second PT hub on a carbon tubular but cracked the rim and didn't want to rebuild it at the time so I just sold it. Crank based is just easier to deal with that this point. Plus, when I did race with it in the past, I once had a flat early on in a race and had to change my rear wheel and lost my data. A bit silly, but also a bit annoying.

I also can't use my PT on my trainer, and as mentioned, since my trainer reads so low, I have to use my Quarq to have accurate power data.
Old 02-18-21, 08:09 AM
rubiksoval

you're not hearing me. that's ok. moving on.
It seems you're saying you don't care about accuracy as long as you have consistency because you have 12-13 years worth of data using the same brand of powermeters.

Yet you apparently also calibrate your powermeter to a given weight, ensuring their consistency, yet also ensuring their accuracy... so, it just sounds like you're contradicting yourself.

In any case, my powermeters meet my needs, and the statement this entire tangent rests on is by a guy who doesn't even train with power, so a bit of a derailment.
Old 02-18-21, 08:13 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

It seems you're saying you don't care about accuracy as long as you have consistency because you have 12-13 years worth of data using the same brand of powermeters.

Yet you apparently also calibrate your powermeter to a given weight, ensuring their accuracy... so, it just sounds like you're contradicting yourself.

In any case, my powermeters meet my needs, and the statement this entire tangent rests on is by a guy who doesn't even train with power, so a bit of a derailment.

why is everyone always wrong, but you?

no contradiction at all.

It is not not accuracy. It is consistency. I do not know with precision what my weight is, or even what a slight derivation means. I know my 300 is 300 time and time again. I do not know that my 300 is your 300, not in any way shape or form does it matter.

Last edited by gsteinb; 02-18-21 at 09:03 AM. Reason: double not, it is not. it is not not not
Old 02-18-21, 08:18 AM
rubiksoval

why is everyone always wrong, but you?

no contradiction at all.

It is not not accuracy. It is consistency. I do not know with precision what my weight is, or even what a slight derivation means. I know my 300 is 300 time and time again. I do not know that my 300 is your 300, not in any way shape or form does it matter.
If both our powermeters are accurate, then you do know that your 300 is my 300.

Which is why accuracy is important. That you seemingly don't care about that doesn't change it. I care about it. Lots of other people that use multiple powermeters care about it. The people that MAKE powermeters care about it.

If I'm wrong, so is the entire industry...
Old 02-18-21, 08:23 AM
rubiksoval

Ha. I edited my post about consistency/accuracy while you were apparently quoting it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.