Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The Little Packet That Lives on My Bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The Little Packet That Lives on My Bike

Old 02-26-21, 08:01 PM
Sorg67

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Apex, 2015 Trek Verve 3, 2020 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Few years ago, I got all the pertinent information tattooed to my ass.
I guess that makes updates a literal pain in the ass.
Old 02-26-21, 08:21 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Second the carrying of important stuff on you. I also make it a point to have 5 bills (any denomination) as I have used that many to boot big cuts and ride home. And yes, where the bike ends up relative you is a guess. One time it got tossed in the ambulance. It has made it to the hospital a couple of times though I did not witness how. Ended up at friends. A bike shop. (They knew it was mine and I would come back, if indeed that was going to be possible.)
Old 02-26-21, 08:55 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
No need to list Blood Type on ID. No harm but would not be used to guide what type blood to give if a transfusion were needed.

Last edited by JanMM; 02-27-21 at 08:22 AM.
Likes For JanMM:
Old 02-26-21, 09:25 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Few years ago, I got all the pertinent information tattooed to my ass.
That's kinda like guaranteeing that no one will ever steal the information
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 02-27-21, 07:27 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
I carry my FOID card (Firearm Owner Identification)

GM
Old 02-27-21, 08:02 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
I put my road ID on when I got it, and never take it off. ez pz.

$20 in my flat kit for a boot, or food and water in case I forgot my wallet.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 02-28-21, 06:56 AM
Sorg67

Originally Posted by downtube42
I put my road ID on when I got it, and never take it off. ez pz.

$20 in my flat kit for a boot, or food and water in case I forgot my wallet.
What is "road ID"?
Old 02-28-21, 08:40 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I stick that stuff on my road/gravel bike and mostly leave it there.

For one, I often don’t have pockets when I road ride.

Second, I won’t forget to take it if it is already on the bike. if I had to remember to take it with me each time, I would end up occasionally not taking it.

In the event of an accident that I am left unconscious, I am pretty sure that it would be more likeley that I forgot to put it in my pocket (or it fell out) than the EMTs who can’t figure out who I am would not look in the bike bag.

I guess I could do both, but probably won’t.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 02-28-21, 03:25 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorg67
What is "road ID"?
https://www.roadid.com/
I have never used it - always have wallet and cheap dog tags in case wallet not available.
Old 02-28-21, 10:13 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
I made slightly reduced size photo copies of my license, medical insurance card, blood bank membership card and laminated them. They can be used to identify me but obviously aren't official if lost. These and $20 - $40 go into a 3x5 zippered REI bag and into my jersey pocket. Phone in a zip lock bag goes into another jersey pocket. If I'm not wearing a bike jersey, all go into a fanny pack. I also wear a Road ID 24/7 with contact info and some medical information.
Likes For MAK:
Old 03-01-21, 07:45 AM
Sorg67

I still feel insecure putting my phone in a jersey pocket. It does not seem secure enough. I guess it must be since it seems very common. I wonder if there are jerseys where one of the three pockets on the back is zippered. That would make me feel better. But I suppose the main point of the jersey pockets is to make things accessible while riding and a zipper would make that more difficult.
Old 03-01-21, 10:22 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I'd highly recommend adding a small first aid kit to any bike kit.

I counted the other day, and I have 4.
1. in my bike bag (goes with either the bike or velo whenever I ride)
2. On my motorcycle.
3. In my car (with additional stuff for roadside emergencies)
4. One in my backpack that goes on any hike and is often with me just cuz.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 03-01-21, 12:44 PM
giraffelt

Bikes: miyata 312, cannondale synapse 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sorg67
I have a small zip lock bag with a copy of my health insurance card, drivers license and credit card and $40. My wife's cell number is on the copy of the health insurance card. Usually I bring all those things with me when I ride, but sometimes I forget. This way I know I always have enough for a snack or drink and information for the emergency room.

My regular riding buddies know about the packet. Sometimes I tell someone in group rides, but not always.
I wear a dog tag with emergency contact and health info. I also carry my phone in a case in my back pocket which in addition to the phone a cc and $20.00 has a copy of my health insurance card, drivers license, auto club membership and car insurance. The auto club card is in case of breakdown that I can't fix they will come out and either fix it or give me a lift home, all part of the membership. I carry a copy of my car insurance because I once had a situation where I was stopped at a red light next to a very expensive car. When the light changed I fell over because my chain had slipped. No harm done other than to my ego but it got me thinking "what if I had gone over in the direction and damaged the expensive car beside me". I spoke to my car insurance company and they said it would have been covered under my auto policy but I would need to show proof of coverage to the driver.
Likes For giraffelt:
Old 03-01-21, 03:29 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I wear a RoadID on my Garmin watch and have name, ICE info and med info written in Sharpie on my helmet. I run TurboScan on my phone and it has copies of all my important insurance documents, medical records, etc.

Off topic but of all the apps on my phone the one that is actually the most useful is TurboScan, coupled with TurboFAX it's mighty convenient to be able to email and FAX PDF's if needed.

--

Last edited by drlogik; 03-01-21 at 03:33 PM.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 03-01-21, 05:50 PM
skenry

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Just FYI - I'm a fireman and if your info is on your bike, we won't get it. If it's in your jersey, we won't get it but they will probably find it at the hospital while bagging your clothes.
If you want the info seen and used, get either a Road ID bracelet/watchband or one of the stick on pouches for your helmet. Your bike is most likely getting tossed to the side and eventually stuck out of the trunk of a patrol car, they will bring it to the station but doubtful they will search it.
If other people aren't there directing us to the information, we most likely won't find it.
Likes For skenry:
Old 03-01-21, 09:21 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
or one of the stick on pouches for your helmet.
skenry,

Can you point me to this pouch or is it a DIY thing?
Likes For drlogik:
Old 03-02-21, 07:07 AM
skenry

Originally Posted by drlogik
skenry,

Can you point me to this pouch or is it a DIY thing?
This is what I have and gave out to all the kids in the neighborhood but there are other options out there.
Medical Information Carrier - The Helmet ID for cyclists, motorcyclists, bikers and work safety

And I guess I should have explained why we find info on the helmet, we take it and are taught to look at the helmet for scuffs and in most cases will also pass off the helmet to hospital staff.
Likes For skenry:
Old 03-02-21, 11:28 AM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by skenry
This is what I have and gave out to all the kids in the neighborhood but there are other options out there.
Medical Information Carrier - The Helmet ID for cyclists, motorcyclists, bikers and work safety

And I guess I should have explained why we find info on the helmet, we take it and are taught to look at the helmet for scuffs and in most cases will also pass off the helmet to hospital staff.
Thanks, just picked a couple up.
Likes For MrWasabi:
Old 03-03-21, 11:13 AM
Pinelander
Roadie

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Get the Road ID. I've had it for years and seem to always be wearing it. Around $20 and then $10 a year to keep your info accessible, and password protected.
Likes For Pinelander:
Old 03-03-21, 11:47 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
It'd be interesting to hear from medical first responders and hear if the ever look for medical tags or bracelets before giving any attention to injuries that need immediate attention. IMO, tags and stuff are more useful for when times slow down and you are out of the emergency room and the hospital is wondering who you are.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-03-21, 12:15 PM
Jarrettsin

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Another Road ID wearer, it has who I am, emergency contact info and insurance info.
Also carry my smartphone which can be used to pay for things if I forget to carry a little cash
Normal I have $20 in my saddle bag
Likes For Jarrettsin:
Old 03-05-21, 11:39 AM
skenry

Originally Posted by Iride01
It'd be interesting to hear from medical first responders and hear if the ever look for medical tags or bracelets before giving any attention to injuries that need immediate attention. IMO, tags and stuff are more useful for when times slow down and you are out of the emergency room and the hospital is wondering who you are.
I kind of mentioned it up above but firefighter here for 24 years.
The medical tags and ID bracelets are great, they aren't going to be the first thing I look at, but they will get seen on the way to the hospital. If it's on the bike, we will miss it. Best place is usually on the helmet or the wrist (and a separate band, not the watch attachment). Your ID isn't really important, nor really any medical conditions until things slow down in the back of the ambulance. We will toss your bike out of the way without a second glance. Your helmet though will get picked up and inspected, if there is any indication of helmet impact or spinal injury, the helmet will accompany you to the ER. Because of that, I'm a big fan of these : Medical Information Carrier - The Helmet ID for cyclists, motorcyclists, bikers and work safety

It all depends on the accident however. If you get hit by a car and have an open fracture, I don't really care that you are allergic to penicillin. Bike accidents, especially if they are unconscious, will have us protecting your neck and spine, cutting your clothes off, controlling any bleeding and starting an IV. None of that requires much info about your medical history, medications, allergies, wishes or even your ID. Depending on the length of transport time to the hospital we can begin to look for other information.

A minor medical incident where you are still conscious, feel free to tell us anything.
Likes For skenry:
Old 03-05-21, 02:45 PM
roadwarrior16

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by skenry
I kind of mentioned it up above but firefighter here for 24 years.
The medical tags and ID bracelets are great, they aren't going to be the first thing I look at, but they will get seen on the way to the hospital. If it's on the bike, we will miss it. Best place is usually on the helmet or the wrist (and a separate band, not the watch attachment). Your ID isn't really important, nor really any medical conditions until things slow down in the back of the ambulance. We will toss your bike out of the way without a second glance. Your helmet though will get picked up and inspected, if there is any indication of helmet impact or spinal injury, the helmet will accompany you to the ER. Because of that, I'm a big fan of these :

It all depends on the accident however. If you get hit by a car and have an open fracture, I don't really care that you are allergic to penicillin. Bike accidents, especially if they are unconscious, will have us protecting your neck and spine, cutting your clothes off, controlling any bleeding and starting an IV. None of that requires much info about your medical history, medications, allergies, wishes or even your ID. Depending on the length of transport time to the hospital we can begin to look for other information.

A minor medical incident where you are still conscious, feel free to tell us anything.
Very informative, thanks for sharing. I was debating the bracelets for a while but it makes a lot of sense thinking about it from your perspective.
Likes For roadwarrior16:
Old 03-06-21, 07:01 AM
Alleytom

Bikes: 92 GT Arette, 78 Paramount, 2012 Pugsley, Late 70s Gilmour, 83 Le Tour, 70 somthing Benotto 800 (On the block) 2012 Sun Spider AT(On the block too)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 32 Posts
I wear MTB shorts w/pockets so my Dango wallet with ID, credit Cards etc... goes in one leg pocket. My keys with remote for garage door are attached to my belt, small cycling multitool also on belt, along with a magazine holder & loaded magazine. On the other hip is a small German projectile dispensing device which shall not be named in these forums... Other than that iPhone & fitbit and I'm ready to go. I like to be prepared.
Likes For Alleytom:
Old 12-13-21, 08:35 AM
Tpsfoto

Bikes: Specialized Vita Limited, Giant Talon 2, Diamondback insight 2, Sepecialized Hardrock women's

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Id on bike

I taped a card to the frame of my bike with
name
address
contact info
and medical insurance info
i do have roadid bracelet on

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.