Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

"Luxury" upgrades

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

"Luxury" upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-21, 07:58 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
What if they incorporated indicators?
Huh? Turn signal indicators? I don't need those.
Old 05-04-21, 08:24 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Huh? Turn signal indicators? I don't need those.
I've thought a few times it'd be helpful. This is a thread about luxuries, not necessities.
Old 05-04-21, 08:27 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Originally Posted by surak
Lots of mentions of carbon bars. Honestly I've never considered them before. Is the main advantage they have over alloy that they dampen more road chatter, are lighter, can be shaped more aerodynamically for the same weight, look bling, or something else?

I have a set of alloy 38cm Zipps, about the cheapest with a shape I wanted that was predrilled for Di2, on my Roubaix with Future Shock. Probably wouldn't feel a noticeable difference going carbon compared to a less forgiving frame? I don't have any real aero or weight weenie bikes, and the Roubaix is my default choice for the longest days.
Aero carbon bars are certainly kinder on your hands. Ally bars can be pretty light, but I don't think there's such a thing as a light ally aero bar.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 05-04-21, 08:41 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I would call a rim that GP5K tires go on without ripping off the skin off your thumbs a luxury.

I happened about a guy Saturday that had a flat and not carrying a seat bag with a tube, co2 or pump, or tire levers. I grabbed a tube and co2 out of my wife's seat bag as I am running tubeless and he was running GP5K's. Snapped a tire lever and took both of us to get the damn tires over the rim. I like Conti tires, but do not want to deal with that on the road side.
I cut a sidewall on a Pirelli set up tubeless. Reinstalled the gp5000s I took off and remembered instantly why the new set on the shelf is Pirelli. Such a pain in the ass relative to my admittedly small sample of tubeless tires.
Likes For ericcox:
Old 05-04-21, 08:46 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
I would call a rim that GP5K tires go on without ripping off the skin off your thumbs a luxury.

I happened about a guy Saturday that had a flat and not carrying a seat bag with a tube, co2 or pump, or tire levers. I grabbed a tube and co2 out of my wife's seat bag as I am running tubeless and he was running GP5K's. Snapped a tire lever and took both of us to get the damn tires over the rim. I like Conti tires, but do not want to deal with that on the road side.
He has a thread running in "Mechanics."
Old 05-04-21, 09:01 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Basically my entire new bike that (fingers crossed) will arrive next month. I guess some of the things will actually make me faster but none of it is really useful. Old bike is a Domane SL5. New bike is a Domane SLR7.

Trek OCLV 500 frame ---> OCLV 700 frame
aluminum stem ---> carbon stem
4iiis single-sided power meter ---> Garmin dual-sided SPD
Bontrager Foray shoes ---> Shimano XC7 (in red because they match my bike)
stock paint job ---> custom paint job
stock boat anchor Affinity wheels ---> Aeolus RSL 51 wheels
Shimano 105 ---> Ultegra Di2
stock Arvada comp saddle w/ steel rails (actually pretty comfy) ---> Verse Pro w/ carbon rails

Current additions I REALLY love are the power meter, aero bars, and bike computer. These are things that would enhance any bike I own. And I'd take a cheap bike with these over an expensive bike without them any day of the week.
Likes For guachi:
Old 05-04-21, 09:52 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi
Basically my entire new bike that (fingers crossed) will arrive next month. I guess some of the things will actually make me faster but none of it is really useful. Old bike is a Domane SL5. New bike is a Domane SLR7.

Trek OCLV 500 frame ---> OCLV 700 frame
aluminum stem ---> carbon stem
4iiis single-sided power meter ---> Garmin dual-sided SPD
Bontrager Foray shoes ---> Shimano XC7 (in red because they match my bike)
stock paint job ---> custom paint job
stock boat anchor Affinity wheels ---> Aeolus RSL 51 wheels
Shimano 105 ---> Ultegra Di2
stock Arvada comp saddle w/ steel rails (actually pretty comfy) ---> Verse Pro w/ carbon rails

Current additions I REALLY love are the power meter, aero bars, and bike computer. These are things that would enhance any bike I own. And I'd take a cheap bike with these over an expensive bike without them any day of the week.
Hope it arrives as well. I love my Domane SLR7 and I also have those XC7 shoes, but in black, and I use with my Time ATAX XC pedals, love them...Nice shoes. See you went big on the wheels...I stuck with the Pro3v for now....I might move up later though. I also have the verse saddle in 135mm, very comfy saddle for me, I put them on 2 other bikes.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 05-04-21, 10:03 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
I've thought a few times it'd be helpful. This is a thread about luxuries, not necessities.
How would you tell them to blink? I think Garmin has a tail light that has turn signals / indicators, but you have to plan a route to use them.
Old 05-04-21, 10:08 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by ericcox
I cut a sidewall on a Pirelli set up tubeless. Reinstalled the gp5000s I took off and remembered instantly why the new set on the shelf is Pirelli. Such a pain in the ass relative to my admittedly small sample of tubeless tires.
What rim are you running and how were the Pirelli's to install? I am running the Bontrager R3 in 32, but was looking at the Pirelli 28 or 30's when these tires where out. I like the R3's, but would like to try something different. I figured I would pick some up when I spot them on sale that way if something happens, I am prepared.

Old 05-04-21, 10:40 PM
jnesss

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
carbon cages, carbon mounts, carbon anything. aero everything. titanium hardware.
Old 05-04-21, 11:22 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
How would you tell them to blink?
...?
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 05-05-21, 05:15 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Is the main advantage they have over alloy that they dampen more road chatter, are lighter, can be shaped more aerodynamically for the same weight, look bling...?
Yes.

I just prefer the overall feel, in general. It's hard to describe, but in addition to the above, there's the fact that they're less of a heat sink, too.

I had carbon bars on my Domane with front IsoSpeed; still preferred them to the stock alloy bars.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-05-21, 05:41 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
Matchy carbon handlebar, stem, and seatpost. Like the FSA K-Force stuff on my roadie and CX bikes.

Luxurious.

Old 05-05-21, 06:14 AM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
What rim are you running and how were the Pirelli's to install? I am running the Bontrager R3 in 32, but was looking at the Pirelli 28 or 30's when these tires where out. I like the R3's, but would like to try something different. I figured I would pick some up when I spot them on sale that way if something happens, I am prepared.
I'm running 26mm PZeros Race TLR on FFWD RYOT 55 rims. They are hooked. Well, now a mullet with PZero on front and a GP5000 on the back. The GP5000s are a pain to mount. To mount the rear (which was had about 800 miles on it), I used a crank brothers lever together with a tire jack like tool whose name I forget. I had to use a CO2 charge to get the bead to set.

In contrast, the Pirellis were easy. I mounted the first one with a single standard park tool lever, and the second with thumbs. Got the bead to pop with a standard pump. The Pirellis hold air better, and generally feel more supple, though that's hard to measure.

I do think the GP5000s are probably more durable, based on the wear so far, but when my current ones wear out, I'm going back with Pirelli.

Excel was running a sale on a Pirelli 2 pack, but only had 26 and 28 in stock. I will say the 26s set up tubeless are very comfy - I did a century a few weeks ago on them. My cross bike with 33mm schwalbes running tubeless is more comfortable for sure, but for road use only, the Pirellis feel great.
Likes For ericcox:
Old 05-05-21, 09:14 AM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by ericcox
I'm running 26mm PZeros Race TLR on FFWD RYOT 55 rims. They are hooked. Well, now a mullet with PZero on front and a GP5000 on the back. The GP5000s are a pain to mount. To mount the rear (which was had about 800 miles on it), I used a crank brothers lever together with a tire jack like tool whose name I forget. I had to use a CO2 charge to get the bead to set.

In contrast, the Pirellis were easy. I mounted the first one with a single standard park tool lever, and the second with thumbs. Got the bead to pop with a standard pump. The Pirellis hold air better, and generally feel more supple, though that's hard to measure.

I do think the GP5000s are probably more durable, based on the wear so far, but when my current ones wear out, I'm going back with Pirelli.

Excel was running a sale on a Pirelli 2 pack, but only had 26 and 28 in stock. I will say the 26s set up tubeless are very comfy - I did a century a few weeks ago on them. My cross bike with 33mm schwalbes running tubeless is more comfortable for sure, but for road use only, the Pirellis feel great.
Thanks, good to know. I will be keeping my eyeballs peeled for the Pirelli's, even though I still have a good amount of life left on my Bontrager R3's, I don't want to get caught not having something on hand. I too have the crankbrother's lever and have only really had to use it once or twice a while ago. One good thing about using the R3's is that the tires are super easy to mount and remove on the Bontrager rims. But I would still like to have a backup plan as tires can be hard to get right now.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 05-06-21, 06:03 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Ahh, yeah. Aero carbon handlebars - can be a pain in the ass to install, but they look and feel great afterwards.
I'm shopping for some right now.

Old 05-06-21, 06:09 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yes.

I just prefer the overall feel, in general. It's hard to describe, but in addition to the above, there's the fact that they're less of a heat sink, too.
Nailed it.

My first set of aero carbon bars were FSA K-Wings in 2010. The silky feel of those unwrapped flats is sublime.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 05-10-21, 11:18 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
N+Umpteenth bike. Just because.
Old 05-10-21, 12:20 PM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 51 Posts
FSA K-wing carbon bars

What are some components, gear, accessories, and so forth that might not make one faster on a bike, but still feels nice to have, forget the justification (i.e., treat yo'self)?.
I'm very frugal and would never have spent the money but my son bought me a set of FSA K-Wing carbon bars for xmas. They are, without a doubt, the most ergonomically significant upgrade I've had in 50 years of riding. I had almost completely given up drop bars at my age (67), and I could no longer get comfortable on my expensive road bike, but these bars have brought back my enjoyment of riding that bike. Here's an image I pulled off a google search.

Likes For sunburst:
Old 05-10-21, 09:02 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Rapha handlebar bag.
I've got a 'Burrito Supreme' bar bag from Road Runner on my gravel bike; https://roadrunnerbags.us/collection...handle-bar-bag
When it arrived in 2019 it felt like a luxury but now the bike feels naked without it.
Old 05-11-21, 02:32 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by bOsscO
I've got a 'Burrito Supreme' bar bag from Road Runner on my gravel bike; https://roadrunnerbags.us/collection...handle-bar-bag
When it arrived in 2019 it felt like a luxury but now the bike feels naked without it.
I have the same bag on my Honey Allroads rain bike. I also have the Rapha bag for my road bike. I find the Burrito Supreme to be better all around. I’ll readily admit I chose the Rapha out of vanity.

Last edited by Ghazmh; 05-11-21 at 11:53 AM.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 05-11-21, 09:13 AM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Nothing says luxury more than a carbon fiber kick-stand. Make sure to spend the extra money to get the one with dimples and the whale fin inspired profile since aero is king!
Old 05-11-21, 09:15 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Not sure if it counts as an upgrade but, from a pure vanity perspective, a custom paint job on an existing frame/fork always looks sick.
Old 05-12-21, 05:32 AM
WongaTaa

Bikes: Raleigh Competition 1973

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Luxury? How about a rain jacket from a bespoke London tailor? (Won't let me post URLs yet, but search YouTube for "Brooks England jacket".)

A more simple luxury? Throw out that old toe-clip strap, and say Hello to the Brooks trouser strap - also known as a $29.50 piece of leather wrapped around a $0.50 snap bracelet!
Old 05-12-21, 06:29 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
The luxurious look on the face of riders neatly in a paceline when I ding my Spurcycle Bell and give them, "Top of the morning, Lads" and power off. The B & M mirror is a close second, seeing the lads out of the saddle chasing is priceless.
Likes For GhostRider62:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.