Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

difference between single and double front of saddle?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

difference between single and double front of saddle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-21, 01:05 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
...no consensus as to advantages of a double nose over single nose saddle....
Look at the art above. It's not double-nose. The ISMs are noseless. The 2 projections do not extend as far as any nose on a saddle with a nose. About half of the length on ISMs is there only to meet UCI requirements. You should view the ISMs as effectively very short saddles without noses. Check their website - it used to explain what they're doing.

I don't really understand the stubby nosed appeal. Is it an appearance thing?
For sure. I look a lot better after a ride on my Selle SMP than I did on other saddles. That's because I feel a lot better. I tried several saddles before the Selle SMP - Avocet Touring, Fizik Aliante, Serfas Rx, Brooks B17 Imperial, ISM (I forgot which model) and my weight bearing parts always got numb after 7 (Avocet) -15 (Brooks) miles. No numbness with the Selle SMP which is effectively a stubby saddle, because one's bits do not actually rest on the saddle. My bet is that the stubby saddle proliferation is a godsend for folks who get numb on normal saddles.
Old 05-14-21, 01:28 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,835 Times in 2,989 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I guess it can depend on the saddles being compared. My impression looking at the Selle Italia, is that yes, the nose is wider on the stubby ("Boost") version, but that is solely because the extension is removed off the front where it continues to narrow on the standard saddle. Ie. if you draw a line on the standard saddle where it is cut short, the width at that point is really not much different. And if you don't sit on the saddle past that point anyway, it wouldn't matter.

So if you don’t ever sit on the very front part of the long saddle then would it not be logical to chop it off and go with the shorter version?

For those riders who like to move around a lot on the saddle then a longer flatter saddle makes more sense. I tend to prefer a shorter, slightly wider saddle. I can still get forward on it but I don’t ride like that very often and prefer a more defined primary position. I also prefer a slight kick up at the back, which I find useful when climbing seated.
Old 05-14-21, 02:00 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
So if you don’t ever sit on the very front part of the long saddle then would it not be logical to chop it off and go with the shorter version?

For those riders who like to move around a lot on the saddle then a longer flatter saddle makes more sense. I tend to prefer a shorter, slightly wider saddle. I can still get forward on it but I don’t ride like that very often and prefer a more defined primary position. I also prefer a slight kick up at the back, which I find useful when climbing seated.
Well yeah.. if you don't ever sit on the very front, then chop it off. But I wasn't understanding how this in itself makes the shorter saddles any more or less comfortable than standard saddles. All brands now seems to offer these, and from what I gather, they seem pretty popular now -- I was just curious why. Many of these stubby saddles seemed to start appearing only about 3-4 years ago if memory serves.

I guess the longer saddle is good for 'just in case' instances that there is a rare instance where riding that far up makes sense.

If the short saddle thing came about to solve for UCI restrictions, I think it's safe to say that most of us here aren't worried about that too much.
Old 05-14-21, 02:30 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Interesting, thanks. I don't think I've ever tried sitting forward in the saddle during a climb.

This source suggests the opposite, that sitting back on the saddle improves climbing by opening up the knee angle at the top of the pedal stroke:

It’s not saying the opposite, but rather referrimg to a different type of climbing which they did not specify, but which would be long, shallow climbs. On steep climbs, you scooch forward to keep your weight on top of the pedals, pull on the bars, and to keep the front wheel on the road.
Old 05-14-21, 02:48 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
How does a forward saddle position help in a steep climb?
I don't know, but I find myself instinctively moving forward on my saddle when the road kicks up, and it seems to help.
Old 05-14-21, 02:55 PM
PeteHski

Well yeah.. if you don't ever sit on the very front, then chop it off. But I wasn't understanding how this in itself makes the shorter saddles any more or less comfortable than standard saddles. All brands now seems to offer these, and from what I gather, they seem pretty popular now -- I was just curious why. Many of these stubby saddles seemed to start appearing only about 3-4 years ago if memory serves.

I guess the longer saddle is good for 'just in case' instances that there is a rare instance where riding that far up makes sense.

If the short saddle thing came about to solve for UCI restrictions, I think it's safe to say that most of us here aren't worried about that too much.
I see what you mean. What I’ve noticed is that the latest crop of shorter saddles also tend to be a bit wider than average (and often available in even wider widths), which just happens to suit me. I also like the cutouts, which again nearly all the latest short nosed saddles seem to have. I know longer saddles often have a cutout theses days too, but many still don’t. The Fizik Tempo Argo I mentioned is the most comfortable saddle I’ve ever had. But I agree it’s comfort is not really due to the shorter length. It’s not actually all that short compared to some others. Maybe an inch shorter than my Aliante. I just get on with the shape and the padding is spot on for me. Not too hard or overly soft. It’s a saddle I can ride for 6+ hours without any discomfort. I can’t say the same for others I’ve owned.
Old 05-14-21, 03:03 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3422 Post(s)
Liked 3,560 Times in 1,789 Posts
Although a questionable place to rest your bottom, the saddle nose has other uses.

Maintaining control of your machine is the main one.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-14-21, 03:09 PM
PeteHski

Although a questionable place to rest your bottom, the saddle nose has other uses.

Maintaining control of your machine is the main one.
I agree but you would have to go to the extreme to make any real difference. I haven’t fallen off the bike since losing an inch of saddle nose. Control feels the same.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-14-21, 03:09 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3422 Post(s)
Liked 3,560 Times in 1,789 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
On steep climbs, you scooch forward to keep your weight on top of the pedals, pull on the bars, and to keep the front wheel on the road.
I don’t think I do that on steep grades.

I press back into the saddle, lower my shoulders, and rock my shoulders on each downstroke.

If I feel myself slipping off the back of the saddle, I’ll also pull forward on the bars on each downstroke.

The steeper the grade, the more my torso moves.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-14-21, 05:04 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Shorter nose saddle is less likely to catch when riding out of the saddle or getting back on the saddle after having gotten off at a stop. For people who still supertuck, also makes it easier to move back the posterior all the way to the seatpost.
Likes For surak:
Old 05-14-21, 06:47 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
It’s not saying the opposite, but rather referrimg to a different type of climbing which they did not specify, but which would be long, shallow climbs. On steep climbs, you scooch forward to keep your weight on top of the pedals, pull on the bars, and to keep the front wheel on the road.
You must have some seriously steep roads around your area if keeping the front wheel on the ground is an issue.
Old 05-14-21, 08:14 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
You must have some seriously steep roads around your area if keeping the front wheel on the ground is an issue.
It’s a helpful technique on steep climbs no matter where I find them.
Old 05-15-21, 07:36 AM
Bulette

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
On pavement, wheelies seem to become much easier around 12-14%. At grades of 15% and above, fore-aft movement is critical -- too far forward, the rear wheel can lose traction. These considerations intensify in wet or loose conditions.

I've never ridden an ISM, or any other split/cropped saddle, but then I appreciate having defined forward and rearward positions on the saddle as it is.
Old 05-15-21, 01:30 PM
PeteHski

Coming from a mountain bike background I instinctively sit forward on really steep climbs, but on shallower road climbs I think I tend to sit back more. But I don't actually think about it while riding. Our brains are pretty good at working out what works best for us and that isn't the same for everybody. You only have to look at the pro peloton climbing to see multiple different styles in use.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-16-21, 12:12 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
This is correct. There is literally no consensus when it comes to saddle choice. Saddles come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, just like people's butts! Unfortunately there's a fair bit of trial and error involved in choosing a saddle, but I would start off with something more conventional than the ISM and see how it goes. Some shops have demo saddles to try too. I've been through a few saddles in my time, but I'm really liking this one from Fizik. It's pretty easy on the man gear with the cut-out and comfortable for all day endurance rides. The best saddles are the ones you don't actually notice when riding.

Hey I just ordered this too to see what all the hype is about! But I wonder if it has enough rail length for my 15 mm offset Cannondale seat post. My Ergon SR3 Pro is mounted pretty far forward.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 05-16-21, 02:28 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts
Originally Posted by motopokep
If that were true, why wouldn't all racers put this saddle on their road/racing bike?
Originally Posted by big john
Put that thing on your bike and go ride for 8 hours and tell us how comfortable it is. It's not a bar stool, on a bike your legs move and do work, a big tractor seat would get in the way.
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
+1 I doubt most folks could ride something like that for more than an hour unless they were on a "sit up and beg" cruiser. A lot of cycling stuff seems odd to people who don't ride. Probably the same with any activity.
I biked a "pre-Birthday Ride" a few weeks ago on my Day 6. Not as bad as many would think. Ride was 71 miles.

Old 05-16-21, 05:43 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,406 Times in 2,745 Posts
There was an interesting discussion recently explaining the difference between grade percent and degree. Some posters in this thread might want to search for it.
Old 05-16-21, 06:25 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Hey I just ordered this too to see what all the hype is about! But I wonder if it has enough rail length for my 15 mm offset Cannondale seat post. My Ergon SR3 Pro is mounted pretty far forward.
You may have a problem here. The rails put this seat quite a bit further back relative to most and are not very long. Others have mentioned this issue in reviews.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-16-21, 09:55 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I don't really understand the stubby nosed appeal. Is it an appearance thing? I never ride sitting on the nose of my non-stubby saddle, nor find the nose to be in the way. So what is gained by having that last ~4cm lopped off the front (a bit of weight savings)? I considered the Selle Italia "Boost" version of the SP-01, but didn't see any advantage so I've been happy with the standard. FWIW, the stubby version seems to be priced higher also.
This is why some bicycle racers started using stubby nosed saddles. For the rest of us it is a non issue.

https://bikemusings.wordpress.com/20...-setback-rule/
Old 05-16-21, 04:50 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
You may have a problem here. The rails put this seat quite a bit further back relative to most and are not very long. Others have mentioned this issue in reviews.
Yes, I am beginning to realize the same, just by holding it above the current saddle on the bike without even installing it.

A Cannondale SAVE seat post in 25.4 mm diameter with 0 mm offset theoretically exists, but I have never seen it in stock anywhere.
Old 05-19-21, 09:46 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,628 Times in 2,916 Posts
I have both the Selle Boost SP-01 and the ISM 1.0. Very different feel to each. The Selle has a more traditional feel and don’t find discomfort with less support due to the cut-out putting more pressure on the sit bones. I find it comfortable for 50-60 miles. The Selle weighs next to nothing, which I found amazing. The ISM spreads your thighs a bit farther apart which initially felt weird but got used to it in a couple of weeks. The ISM, despite its looks, is supremely comfortable for me no matter the distance. For sustained climbing, as also a mtn biker, I move to the nose where the ISM really excels for comfort. The ISM is more of a time trial style seat. The ISM, like another poster said, needs to be set a few mm lower and a bit more forward. Both are worthy saddles.

Old 05-19-21, 02:02 PM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
This is correct. There is literally no consensus when it comes to saddle choice. Saddles come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, just like people's butts! Unfortunately there's a fair bit of trial and error involved in choosing a saddle, but I would start off with something more conventional than the ISM and see how it goes. Some shops have demo saddles to try too. I've been through a few saddles in my time, but I'm really liking this one from Fizik. It's pretty easy on the man gear with the cut-out and comfortable for all day endurance rides. The best saddles are the ones you don't actually notice when riding.

it's a cracking saddle. I have the tempo argo on my TT bike and the vento argo on my road bike. Might swap them around after my longer TT races this year and see how I get on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.