Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Carbon supersix evo 105 seat post tightening

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-21, 07:29 PM
Aagra1207

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello All

I have super six evo 105 disc which is carbon frame but post is aluminium. Today when I went on ride the seat kept sliding down when I check after couple of miles. I am hesitant to tight too much due to horror stories of carbon cracking due to over tighten. However as I said although bike frame is carbon but sliding clamp which holds the seat post in place and the seat post itself is alloy(not sure if sliding clamp is rubber or metal). so is it still the same risk of cracking carbon frame off tighten it more than 6nm? Rating there is 6 nm but not sure how to check that without a torque wrench.. have ordered the wrench but it will take two week to come.. attaching the pic

Last edited by Aagra1207; 05-13-21 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-13-21, 08:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,990 Times in 2,663 Posts
Make sure you are using carbon paste on the seatpost and torque it properly using a quality known quantity torque wrench. There really isn't a good substitute for that. A lot of mechanics claim to be able to know torque from years of doing it but that is certainly hooey. Certainly they can get something tight but won't necessarily get it to proper torque specs and that is the key with crabons.

If you are truly having issues take it to your local shop and have them take a look at it.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-13-21, 08:49 PM
Aagra1207

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Make sure you are using carbon paste on the seatpost and torque it properly using a quality known quantity torque wrench. There really isn't a good substitute for that. A lot of mechanics claim to be able to know torque from years of doing it but that is certainly hooey. Certainly they can get something tight but won't necessarily get it to proper torque specs and that is the key with crabons.

If you are truly having issues take it to your local shop and have them take a look at it.
. But does it not matter if seat post is alloy or carbon? I totally agree if seat post is also carbon then it will crack if you over tighten.. but confused if seat post is alloy?
Old 05-13-21, 09:07 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Tighten to 6nm. Use carbon paste. Do not concern yourself w/ materials. If it slips after ACCURATELY tightening to the specified torque take it to your local Cannondale dealer. I'm not even sure why you're posting this question if you don't have a torque wrench.
ETA: This should be posted in 'bicycle mechanics'.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 05-13-21, 10:22 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Aagra1207
. But does it not matter if seat post is alloy or carbon? I totally agree if seat post is also carbon then it will crack if you over tighten.. but confused if seat post is alloy?
But the seat tube might be carbon under the clamp???? I agree with the bike shop visit.
Old 05-14-21, 06:06 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Sounds like you need a torque wrench. Found these on a motorcycle forum recently.

https://www.prestacycle.com/product-category/torque-tools/
Amazon has these too.

I have an old Madone with a carbon seat post. I found if I cleaned the seat tube and post well with isopropyl alcohol it does not slip. When I first bought it new it slipped and I found a lube or may be paste was used. So I’d clean it first. Once a year I do a good cleaning and pull the post.
Old 05-14-21, 06:24 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Make sure you are using carbon paste on the seatpost and torque it properly using a quality known quantity torque wrench.
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Tighten to 6nm. Use carbon paste. Do not concern yourself w/ materials.
This is what needs to be done. If you check the SuperSix Evo manual available on Cannondale's website that is exactly what Cannondale directs you to to as well.

Get a torque wrench. I recommend getting couple of torque wrenches for a range of torque specs, but the Park ATD 1.2 is a good tool for the most common settings at the seatpost collar and stem bolts.

The carbon paste will give you really good friction and if you are really paranoid may allow you to go a bit lower on the recommended torque and still give a very solid grip.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 05-14-21, 06:34 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
There is no point to this thread until the OP ensures that the torque is as specified.
Old 05-14-21, 06:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
If nothing else just tighten it a little more each time until it stops slipping. No torque wrench required using that technique.
Old 05-14-21, 08:00 AM
Aagra1207

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thx ...i have ordered the carbon paste so will try it today...maybe will first clean with alcohol and then apply paste? As far as Torque wrench goes, I have ordered but it is coming from UK and I am in Canada so may take some time...in LBS the wrench were very costly
Old 05-14-21, 08:26 AM
Aagra1207

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes i have ordered the wrench but it might take some time to arrive...so meanwhile I was just wondering if alloy seatpost in carbon bike frame are equally vulnerable like carbon seatpost....I will anyways try the carbon paste until then...
Old 05-14-21, 09:18 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Thx ...i have ordered the carbon paste so will try it today...maybe will first clean with alcohol and then apply paste? As far as Torque wrench goes, I have ordered but it is coming from UK and I am in Canada so may take some time...in LBS the wrench were very costly
One of these is always handy around the house. 5Nm is a pretty useful value on bike bits. 6Nm.. means you just tighten a tiny bit more :-)

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-14-21, 09:31 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 693 Posts
+1 on using Carbon Assembly Paste

on a side note…….
It always beats me why people don’t state their location!
I’d meet you at a local park and place a torque wrench in your hand for 5mins.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 05-14-21, 09:40 AM
Aagra1207

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barry2
+1 on using Carbon Assembly Paste

on a side note…….
It always beats me why people don’t state their location!
I’d meet you at a local park and place a torque wrench in your hand for 5mins.

Barry
i am in north York Ontario Canada..😊
Likes For Aagra1207:
Old 05-14-21, 07:05 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
i am in north York Ontario Canada..😊
There are some Lowe’s stores in the Toronto area or other hardware or auto parts store. Look for a 1/4 inch drive torque wrench. At the low end it will do. You may have to convert units.
Old 05-14-21, 07:21 PM
Aagra1207

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
There are some Lowe’s stores in the Toronto area or other hardware or auto parts store. Look for a 1/4 inch drive torque wrench. At the low end it will do. You may have to convert units.
for now I picked one from Canadian tire.. it is digital torque wrench but insanely costly…$200 with taxes.. also this wrench was made in 2018 .. god knows if it is calibrated
Old 05-14-21, 09:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,990 Times in 2,663 Posts
I wish I had known about this before I got my Park Tool ATD 1: https://mbaction.com/product-testing...torque-wrench/
I may sell the Park one and get that one, they are owned by Snap-On currently and are supposed to be quite reliable from what I understand. Really the main thing is the ATD 1 requires a tool to adjust the ATD 1.2 doesn't but in the end the CDI one has a few more settings from 2-8nm which covers most of my day to day needs (wish it did 1nm but I so rarely need that) but than I might end up with a Snap-On or CDI digital torque wrench and then maybe I won't need much more because they are so nice to use.

I think for most mechanics at home the smaller ones will do fine for seat posts, handlebars, accessories and smaller bolts. You won't get things like crank bolts or Hollowtech II bolts and things like that but 2-8 is a decent enough spread and that tool is not super expensive considering it is calibrated with certificate and isn't so big.