Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Gel Pads under Bar Tape

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Gel Pads under Bar Tape

Old 05-17-21, 06:49 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Gel Pads under Bar Tape

I'm looking to help Frau Toad with hand/wrist pain from some old injuries and early stages of arthritis. She gets numb and pain in her hands when riding on the hoods. It's better on the tops or drops, but she rides on the hoods 90% of the time. We've been through many padded gloves without success. I've seen that some riders use double bar tape or padding under the bar tape for cobbles or gravel. I'd like to give the pads a try on her road bike, let me know if you've tried this option and the pros & cons of gel padding under the bar tape. Thanks!

Here are the two options I've found:
Planet Bike Century Gel Pads
Fi'zi:k gel pads
Old 05-17-21, 07:00 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
I've got gel pads on one bike because I really don't care for the bar shape. The good part is that it's possible for me to ride it without my hands getting numb. (Although learning to put my hands on the brifter or the flat part of the bar has helped a lot, too! I used to ride with my hands on the bend of the bars...)

The bad part is that it makes wrapping the bar difficult. I lose at least half of the "give" of the gel pads my wrapping tightly enough that the tape doesn't unroll or separate within a week or two. I've needed to put new tape on for a couple months now, but I'm reluctant to go through that process again. In addition, think carefully about exactly where you need to put the pad, especially near the bend.

Bottom line, it helps some, but don't think it's going to be a soft when wrapped as it comes out of the packaging.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 05-17-21, 07:08 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10101 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts
I was given a set and like it because it increases the diameter of the grip and makes the tops and drops more comfortable, but I don't have nerve pressure problems.

If she has nerve impingement at the wrist, e.g., carpal or cubital tunnel syndrome, no amount of padding under the hands is going to help. If you can describe the distribution of the symptoms (which fingers), that can help with the diagnosis.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 05-17-21, 07:25 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Hypno Toad I use foam pipe insulation on the bars, over the tape.
https://www.bikeforums.net/21354043-post9.html
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 05-17-21, 07:38 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
If she’s having discomfort on the hoods and has had no luck with padded gloves, it’s not the obvious move to look to gel bar padding, IMO. Besides not being designed to fit under hoods, gel bar padding just seems like a fixed alternative to the failed glove experiment.

Have you tried repositioning her grip using the shifters and bars? Maybe some angling and height adjustment of the shifters and/or rotation of the bars would be worth trying. Perhaps flared bars would be worth a try for the same reasons; they angle the hoods in and rotate them outwards, changing the grip shape and position.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 05-17-21, 08:39 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Inner tube underlay

I couldn't get comfortable on my gravel bike, and even put it up for sale. Then I wrapped several parts of the drop bars with inner tube strips about 5/8"wide cut from old tube. I wrapped the places where I place my hands, but not other parts. Then bar tape over the entire bars. It transformed the whole feel of the bike, and now it is my favorite of three bikes.
Likes For Chuckles1:
Old 05-17-21, 08:49 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by BobbyG
Hypno Toad I use foam pipe insulation on the bars, over the tape.
https://www.bikeforums.net/21354043-post9.html
OOH! I like this as a test of concept ... and possibly the solutions too
Old 05-17-21, 08:51 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,945 Times in 935 Posts
Is the bike in question properly fitted for her?
Perhaps too much weight is on her shoulders-to-hands and this is just a symptom of a poor fit?
Has she tried to raise the bar to a more upright position?
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 05-17-21, 08:58 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Is the bike in question properly fitted for her?
Perhaps too much weight is on her shoulders-to-hands and this is just a symptom of a poor fit?
Has she tried to raise the bar to a more upright position?
The bike was fitted by a trust LBS when she bought it ... but that was 4 years ago. We'll be headed to the LBS in a couple weeks and will be asking for a fresh review.
Old 05-17-21, 09:03 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 260 Posts
I double wrap with Cinelli cork tape. With things like arthritis you may need to consider other alternatives. A more upright riding position. Depending on how high the new riding position is. A different seat may be needed because of fore weight on the hips. Make sure the tires show a little float instead of them being hard as a rock when inflated. A wider tire with lower inflation can also help.
Likes For Rick:
Old 05-17-21, 09:17 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 117 Posts
I had hands going numb and some pain too. Gel did not help...it is too soft/squishy and bottoms out. I tried two types/brands. You need firmer support that has give but does not bottom out. Flat carbon bars were my biggest help. I did the following:

Started using carbon aero bars with a flat surface to rest on- this was a HUGE help. Now all three bikes have flat tops or oval top. Only carbon though I like Redshift Sports' new bar.
On the tops in front of the hoods and the drops, I use one strip of old tape to build up the padding.
I also use 3mm-3.5mm tape and don't stretch it too much. Tape is key as well. Lizard Skins is a bit too soft so I use the Pro (Shimano, I think) brand now.

After these changes, I have very few issues. On rides over 3-4 hours, I may get some discomfort but not if I keep switching positions often.
Likes For Chandne:
Old 05-17-21, 09:21 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Too many causes to internet a sure solution, but I’ll take a stab.

where the hand transitions to the wrist there is a groove in the middle that fits bars great.
problem is, you have inner workings in that groove that don’t like pressure.
try taking the pressure in the swell below the thumb on the hoods. Feels weird at first, but it’s a cheap test.

Also reducing reach or bar drop, will help reduce pressure. Bar drop can be tough to adjust, but reach is easier.
This could be a shorter stem, move saddle forwards on existing seatpost or even a zero offset seatpost.
BTW Some offset seatposts can be reversed, looks weird but works, also a cheap test. Don’t forget to measure seat height and seat angle first.
only a real bike fit will tell you which is needed. They evaluate knee angles while pedaling to determine best solution for comfort and efficiency.
A bike fit was the best bang for buck accessory I’ve ever purchased for my bike.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 05-17-21, 09:37 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
I've used gel pads and they help marginally I think. I'm likely to use them on a long distance or a rough road machine.

If your wife likes the tops better, why not install interrupter brake levers? I am rebuilding a '73 Schwinn Sports Tourer and it is designed to be ridden on the tops with extension levers and stem shifters. It's not a bad set up.

Last edited by bikemig; 05-17-21 at 10:10 AM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 05-17-21, 09:49 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
She gets numb and pain in her hands when riding on the hoods. It's better on the tops or drops, but she rides on the hoods 90% of the time.
The two most common causes for numbness in hands are:

1. too much hand flex
2. staying in one position for too long

For too much hand flex, the reminder is "straight wrists, bent elbows". If that position is not comfortable, then a bike fit adjustment is warranted.

For staying in one position, the fix is to practice using different hand locations, and to be mindful to change positions often.

On a tour I was running years ago, there was this "A-type" successful rich guy. He had a top-of-the-line Pinarello, professionally fitted, yet he complained at length about hand numbness. I noticed him riding with his hands locked into one position on his hoods, and told him his numbness would diminish if he used multiple hand positions. He never even tried it, and the complaints of numbness continued through the week.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-17-21, 11:02 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10241 Post(s)
Liked 11,593 Times in 5,942 Posts
Let me throw another complication onto the pile: When I first got my Endurace last June, I rode it with all the spacers under the stem - i.e., the highest possible position. The first 20 mile ride, my hands kept going numb, which doesn't happen on any of my other bikes. My first thought was "Great. I just ordered a bike sight unseen and I'm gonna hate riding it," but then I measured the drop to the bars from the saddle and it was at least an inch less than the other bikes. I moved 2.5cm of spacers from under the stem, and the numbness completely went away. I've ridden this bike up to almost 5 hours at a stretch without any hand pain, numbness, or tingling. So maybe it's not padding, but a different fit that she needs?

The other thought is this - my brother worked for years as an engineer in Ergonomics and Human Factors, and one thing he told me was that often people try gloves, or padding, or padded gloves, and find whatever hand problem they were having only gets worse, because the padding makes them feel like they need to grip harder. I myself wear cycling gloves with no padding because every single padded glove I've tried makes my hands hurt, one way or another. So, again, don't assume padding is a panacea.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-17-21, 11:43 AM
Motorazr

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Diverge Elite

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Needing comfort on drop bars, the first thing I tried was Redshift Sports Cruise Control grips.

Next, I installed Redshift Sports ShockStop stem and I've been hugely impressed by what an amazing difference in comfort and fatigue that provides.

I later decided that I wanted a riser bar with flared drops and flattened tops (Redshift's Cruise Control grips only work with round bars so I removed those) and so I installed the Ritchey Comp Ergomax Handlebar (15mm rise, 12-degrees flare, 4-degree backsweep). I got the more expensive WCS version but the "Comp" version for half the price is only 40g heavier.

Finally, using Domain Cycling Extra Long Gel Bar Tape (3mm thick, non-adhesive, 239cm long) on top of my old bar tape, I double-wrapped my drops below the brifters, I finally have an extremely comfortable and good-looking handlebar configuration that I'm very happy with.

Last edited by Motorazr; 05-17-21 at 11:48 AM.
Likes For Motorazr:
Old 05-18-21, 01:19 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I've single or double wrapped old inner tubes, cut into strips, as the base layer, then covered that with good bar wrap. Inner tubes alone tend to make a sooty mess on the hands and hoods.

Also, Arundel Synth Gecko is really soft, rubbery and grippy, and easy to rewrap and reuse indefinitely with care. But it's not their best looking bar wrap. Like Fizik and others, Arundel has a lot of good looking textured and heavily padded bar wrap.

Back in the 1970s I used foam rubber pipe insulation to wrap my handlebar for century or longer rides, but it is odd looking and can twist around if not secured really carefully. Cheap and worth a try but nowadays I prefer the inner tube base layer trick under cosmetically appealing overwrap.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 05-18-21, 03:26 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I have a bike with Ultegra 6700 shifters and my fingertips would go numb all the time. After they wore out I replaced them with some made by Hudz. They aren't really that much softer but my fingers never go numb with them.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 05-18-21, 05:44 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
If it gets bad enough a recumbent will absolutely fix this issue.
Old 05-18-21, 06:52 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
+1 for foam pipe insulation. The polyurethane stuff lasts longer. Hold it on with matching electrical tape.

Another thing you might want to try and it has helped me quite a bit are the new cycling gloves by Bionic. They are designed expressly to take pressure off of the nerve in the middle of the hand. I got them a few weeks ago and only my left hand goes slightly numb now.

I may put pipe insulation on to see if all of the numbness goes way but I used pipe insulation for years with decent success.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 05-18-21, 07:02 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 989 Times in 484 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I'm looking to help Frau Toad with hand/wrist pain from some old injuries and early stages of arthritis. She gets numb and pain in her hands when riding on the hoods. It's better on the tops or drops, but she rides on the hoods 90% of the time. We've been through many padded gloves without success. I've seen that some riders use double bar tape or padding under the bar tape for cobbles or gravel. I'd like to give the pads a try on her road bike, let me know if you've tried this option and the pros & cons of gel padding under the bar tape. Thanks!

Here are the two options I've found:
Planet Bike Century Gel Pads
Fi'zi:k gel pads
Stronger abs?

I'd recommend doing stomach crunches and working on the core muscles, this allows less weight to be placed on hands overall. One can never have too strong abs.
Old 05-18-21, 07:12 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Stronger abs?

I'd recommend doing stomach crunches and working on the core muscles, this allows less weight to be placed on hands overall. One can never have too strong abs.
This is a good point.

Frau Toad has her own Pilates reformer ... she's focused on core, but as we age (we're 50+) we all need to increase our focus on core.

One trick I've remember from my own training ... try lifting your hands off the bars while in your riding position to test that you're not over weighting your hands. This must be done on a quiet and straight trail/road and should be just lift the hands off, not sit upright (like pealing off your jacket or stretching your back). I've found this helpful to check for saddle angle/position, if you can't hold your hands over the bars for a few seconds, your putting too much weight on your hands to stabilize your body.
Old 05-19-21, 09:49 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 117 Posts
Love the idea if more abs/lower back/upper back strengthening. I have started that too and it does help in many ways. I also like the idea of using some inner tube to add some high pressure areas more. I did that with old tape but the inner tube (esp thicker ones like form fatbikes) should work even better.
Likes For Chandne:
Old 05-21-21, 05:29 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 378 Posts
That old spongy rubber that was popular on beach cruisers and road bikes in the early 80's works pretty well. It is very soft and cushy, is easy to clean, and not hard to install (simply wet the bars with Windex and slide them on). You can find them on Amazon under the brand name Sunlite. These are also made by other makers.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 05-22-21, 11:40 AM
Pinelander
Roadie

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Stronger abs?

I started kayaking a few years ago and I can feel the difference on the bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.