Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

SA X-RF8 with 26" wheel

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

SA X-RF8 with 26" wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-19, 09:48 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by brianhamp
I have noticed that as well Dan. I am going to hook up my trailer this weekend (Grocery wagon) and try it. I wanted to use it a bit before I started working it too much. I feel pretty positive it will have no issues. You used to haul with yours as well didn't you?
Yeah, I pulled my Bob trailer with it a few times. I did not use it regularly for utility hauls though.
Old 08-04-19, 03:20 PM
Aquakitty
Canadian Chick

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Hi,

I figured this thread is a good place to post this. I also have one of the older Sturmey-Archer 8 speeds. After lacing this thing, setting it all up and other issues, I have it installed perfectly.

Then I finally go try it, and under any load I'm getting this incredibly loud popping and pinging, like harsh ghost-shifting if you had a broken cog on a cassette.

I have the dots lined up perfectly on the fulcrum lever so I am not sure how it could be a cable issue.

I thought it might be because my chain was too loose, but I removed 2 links and am using a Surly Singleator so there is 0 play and it still does it.

I'm about to take it apart but thought I would try here first. I got the hub on a bike I bought years ago so it was basically free, but now I am questioning all the time I put into this, lol.
Old 05-24-21, 01:00 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 1,815 Times in 1,055 Posts
As documented up-thread, back in 2009 I built up a Sturmey-Archer XRK8(W)* into a bike with 26 x 1 3/8 (ISO590) wheels, using Sturmey's then-available FCS-80, 30T crankset** and the 25T cog. Yeah, still giving excellent service.

*S-A dropped the (W) designation for their 325% 8 at some point over the years since.

**With the advent of 29er wheels and 1X drivetrains, there are lots of smallish chainwheel single cranksets available these days.

Fun fact: In 2019 Shimano introduced an 'all up' SG-7000-5 e-bike rated five speed hub.
Likes For tcs:
Old 05-24-21, 01:21 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 1,815 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by brianhamp
I want to take it apart...
Simple inside...compared to a Shimano 8.

...and relube with ATF
Give a cyclist an IGH and they'll wonder what else they can lubricate it with!

Use what you will, but since 1984 the Sturmey-Archer factory has lubricated the internal works* of all their hubs with NGLI #00 semi-fluid grease. S-A calls this SA103A with a part number for a small quantity of HMA106, but in the USA you can get NLGI #00 at many lawnmower shops or Tractor Supply (John Deere Cotton Picker Spindle Grease).

*For the axle bearings and labyrinth seals, Sturmey uses SA103B, a heavier NLGI #2 grease. I like Sta-Lube Marine Grease.
Likes For tcs: