Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Anybody with advanced PCa have advice after an Orchiectomy?

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-21, 09:46 PM
rickbuddy_72

Location: Michigan, on the lake, 60 miles WNW of Chicago as the crow flies, or 90 miles if the crow walks.

Bikes: Dolan DF4, BH Ultralight, 1974 Schwinn Paramount Track, Trek Alpha 1000, Trek 730, Miyata 930 affixed to a Brian Wind Trainer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I'm terrified, but it's gotta be better than hormone deprivation. How long to recover? Any advice?

Thank you.
Old 05-26-21, 06:29 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
OldTryGuy probably does. He’ll probably be along soon.

Btw, moving this to Pills & Ills in this forum.

Old 05-26-21, 08:45 PM
rickbuddy_72

Location: Michigan, on the lake, 60 miles WNW of Chicago as the crow flies, or 90 miles if the crow walks.

Bikes: Dolan DF4, BH Ultralight, 1974 Schwinn Paramount Track, Trek Alpha 1000, Trek 730, Miyata 930 affixed to a Brian Wind Trainer

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
OldTryGuy probably does. He’ll probably be along soon.

Btw, moving this to Pills & Ills in this forum.
Sorry, didn't see it. Prostate Cancer is the leading cancer in men 50+. Due to Komen propaganda, we have been relegated to thrid-class status. Thanks for relegating me.

Bet you go ride for cancer to hide your prejudice.
Old 05-26-21, 08:47 PM
rickbuddy_72

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I regret reaching out for help here. We live in a sad, unhelpful world.

Good to know I'm now a pills and ills citizen, and not a human.
Old 05-27-21, 05:13 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by rickbuddy_72
I'm terrified, but it's gotta be better than hormone deprivation. How long to recover? Any advice?
Thank you.
Glad to answer any questions. Biked 107 miles yesterday for another Full MOON Overnighter. BTW >> my recovery from the surgery was not a problem.

6 years ago for my Orchiectomy. Went directly of castration instead of ADT, I didn't want drugs put in when 95% of "T" production could easily be removed. I joined 2 very helpful Forums years ago >>>

https://www.inspire.com/groups/us-too-prostate-cancer/

https://healthunlocked.com/prostate-cancer-community

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 05-27-21 at 05:19 AM.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 05-27-21, 06:22 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Sorry, didn't see it. Prostate Cancer is the leading cancer in men 50+. Due to Komen propaganda, we have been relegated to thrid-class status. Thanks for relegating me.

Bet you go ride for cancer to hide your prejudice.
I don't understand your response. This is the proper place for your question as prostate cancer is discussed here often and frequently. It's where all health related questions are posted for the 50+ group.

For the record, I've been fighting this since 2003 when I had a radical prostatectomy for advanced cancer with radiation, Lupron, and Casodex in 2009 for a recurrence, and now on Eligard injections for a stage 4 metastases of the lymph nodes. I have tests every three month and scans every six months to monitor my progression.

I feel your pain but I know nothing of orchiectomies but I moved this to this forum and tagged a member that I was pretty sure could answer your questions.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 05-27-21, 11:46 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
...................I feel your pain but I know nothing of orchiectomies but I moved this to this forum and tagged a member that I was pretty sure could answer your questions.
Thanks for the tag and pretty sure you feel more pain than most individuals including myself. Living life 3 months (+/-) at a time due to waiting for testing and/or scan results makes things interesting. Latest scanning for myself did not reveal issues but blood tests this past Monday might. NOT GONNA LIVE FOREVER so for myself it's life as close to usual as possible.

Be WELL and BIKE ON.
Old 05-27-21, 12:33 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

I really do feel the OP’s pain. These are huge decisions as you and I know. Hang in there, Brother, and to the OP, we’re here to help.

Old 05-27-21, 02:11 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
I regret reaching out for help here. We live in a sad, unhelpful world.

Good to know I'm now a pills and ills citizen, and not a human.
You do realize that the people that can help you were tagged, right?

You also realize this is a bicycle forum not a medical one I hope. Pills and Ills was created BECAUSE so many medical topics clogged the 50+ cycling forum. Those who wanted to educate themselves about BICYCLES had to fish through all of the medical inquiries. We didn't have make a spot for all of them, we could have just deleted them all.

Perhaps that is what you would prefer.

Let me know.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 05-27-21, 04:01 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Yeah, I think this is the proper place for the post too. This is the place I look to keep tabs on medical stuff that is more often 50+ type stuff. If you aren't 50, then welcome anyway.

Anywhere else on this forum they probably get buried if they didn't get filled with the snarky comments of 20 year old's that feel bullet proof as I once did.

I had a testicle busted with a wooden mallet in sixth grade shop class. Back then surgery techniques weren't what they are today. I and parents opted not to do anything. They told me I might be prone to getting testicular cancer and they told me I might not have kids. So far they where wrong on both accounts.

Hope you get the info you are looking for and good luck with everything whatever the reason.
Old 05-27-21, 04:14 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
As someone who may get surgery soon its reassuring that after surgery I have a chance to continue ridding. As for an Orchiectomy I am sure the alternative treatments are not that pleasant. I also know for a fact that the joy of bicycle ridding is not restricted to those with testosterone levels... Ha

Thanks Trsnrtr and OldTryGuy for your inspiration...
Old 05-28-21, 12:07 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
PCa survivor here. I had my prostate removed 10 years ago. I still ride.