Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Upgrading to disk brake question.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Upgrading to disk brake question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-21, 10:55 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
'cause you just gotta make yourself feel better by putting someone else down. you should try it sometime. i mean hey...it's an elitist forum, right?
Likes For thook:
Old 06-01-21, 06:19 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
There's no need to jump in someone's butthole because they ask a question. No matter how stupid or redundant we feel a question can be, its an important part of normal living that we are able to ask questions and solve mysteries. Sometimes the stupidest questions can elicit a new response, or a new thought for an old idea, that causes us to look at it in a new light.

The biggest shame here is that this is a forum in which questions can be asked and friendly help can be given, and the people who participate here solely for the purpose to put someone else's ideas in the trashcan should be ashamed of themselves. It does not do BF's reputation any good to have a bunch of alpha-predators in here ready to pounce on someone asking uninformed questions. Its like a hungry dog comes to your doorstep with the hope of getting a scrap, but all you do is give him a kick to the face. How many times is he going to come to your door after that treatment? If people are coming to this forum in search of answers, we owe it to our community here to answer those questions with the utmost care and diligence. Happy question-askers become happy forum-members and paying members. We should foster this attitude here. People aren't born with brains already preprogrammed with bicycle knowledge. It takes years of immersion in this hobby to be even somewhat good at it. I've been doing it since the late 1960's, and I still suck at it, but the one thing I never do is turn someone away who wants to learn.

Last edited by J.Higgins; 06-01-21 at 06:23 AM.
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 06-01-21, 11:32 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins
but the one thing I never do is turn someone away who wants to learn.
I think overall posts can get snarky when a persons posts with a pre concieved idea of the response they want and when they don't get that response, they then show no interest in learning and reject solid input.

I see this pattern repeated over and over.

now back to regular programming

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-01-21, 12:07 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
I think overall posts can get snarky when a persons posts with a preconceived idea of the response they want and when they don't get that response, they then show no interest in learning and reject solid input. I see this pattern repeated over and over.
Good call, Squirty. I totally agree. I notice patterns like this as well. Probably the biggest irritant to readers of this or any forum are people who are basically quite intelligent, who know little-to-nothing about the subject in which they are asking, and like you said, they harbor preconceptions of what they want at the end. When responses don't go their way, they either try - and fail - to clarify, or their lack of understanding causes them to dig a bigger hole. All they wanted was someone to talk to about <insert topic here>, and get some friendly advice, but because they have no idea of how to present their question, the question is flubbed up right from the start, and people jump to conclusions and post an answer before actually finding out anything.

Snarky posters need to realize that this is a place of help and fellowship - not a riding club where the price of admission is a full ensemble of Rapha. Not everyone knows what we are on about in the world of bikes. In fact, we cyclists in general should be a lot kinder to each other for the simple fact that no one else will be. Let's face it. No one cares about bikes like you do, and anyone who doesnt ride is going to care even less. Any short ride in traffic these days will demonstrate my point. So all I'm saying is a little patience goes a long way.
Old 06-01-21, 05:20 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3669 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
I'd suggest some respondents above do a little historical research here on BF. Not every "question" is proffered in good faith.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-01-21, 06:00 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
When people put others down, it says a lot more about themselves, than the people they are trying to put down.
Old 06-01-21, 06:05 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
There are some here who think everybody should just spend thousands of dollars and buy the ideal bike.

Some either can't afford to, or don't want to, spend a lot, for a whole variety of reasons. People can do all the same things on inexpensive bikes.
Old 06-01-21, 06:51 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

isn't it funny pimpman has had the least participation in this "discussion"...haha.

time for another cup of tea. i do hope it works out for him.
Likes For thook:
Old 06-02-21, 11:59 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Stumbled upon this:
Old 06-03-21, 12:20 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

can you believe it? he said "front fork"!!
Old 06-03-21, 12:37 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

some of the comments are noteworthy

Old 06-03-21, 07:09 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
I think overall posts can get snarky when a persons posts with a pre concieved idea of the response they want and when they don't get that response, they then show no interest in learning and reject solid input.

I see this pattern repeated over and over.
This.

Some posters come here looking for confirmation rather than information. And when they don't get the desired support for their terrible ideas, they double-down.

There's a thread right now on another subforum with an OP who wants advice on avoiding punctures, but won't even consider going tubeless -- which is probably the single best technology for avoiding punctures.