Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Finished my Giant Over Haul

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-21, 07:47 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts

I started this project last Friday because I knew I wouldn't ride during Memorial Day weekend with all the crazy tourists out there. Then it rained for a couple of days so I had to throw a tarp over it. Then my new action camera came and I had to play with that. Yep, 71 as of January and I've officially started my second childhood. Anyway, I took it down to the frame, lightly sanded and touched up the paint, replaced headset and BB bearings, all new cables, new freewheel and chain, and a coat of clear lacquer. Did 25+ miles today and had to readjust the DR 3 times before it settled in. Bike is officially ready for this fall's foul weather. I'm officially chuffed.

I should add, those are the pedals from my old MTB. I missed them, not the bike haha
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 06-04-21, 10:18 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
^^^^^ Cool, appears to be about the same vintage (1989) as my Kronos. Giant roadies of that era were kind of forgotten / overlooked. The components say "entry level", but I'll bet that's a 4130 CrMo main triangle.

Ooh, I just noticed - The rear derailleur hanger should be slid forward, and needs a screw/nut through that small hole, and through the slot in the dropout. And the cable should pass over the axle, not under it, so as to make a larger radius bend.

Last edited by madpogue; 06-05-21 at 10:10 AM.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 06-04-21, 10:22 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
^^^^^ Cool, appears to be about the same vintage (1989) as my Kronos. Giant roadies of that era were kind of forgotten / overlooked. The components say "entry level", but I'll bet that's a 4130 CrMo main triangle.
Ooh, I just noticed - The rear derailleur hanger should be slid forward, and needs a screw/nut through that small hole, and through the slot in the dropout. And the cable should pass over the axle, not under it, so as to make a larger radius bend.
i'm gonna guess it's that way so he could fit that fat tire in and clear the stays
Likes For thook:
Old 06-05-21, 09:56 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by thook
i'm gonna guess it's that way so he could fit that fat tire in and clear the stays
Actually its that way because I use the hole to mount the rear rack I put on it. There's a small tit on the inside of the DR hanger that fits a dimple in the drop to keep the DR from moving. Good eye!
Old 06-05-21, 09:57 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Good eye!
Old 06-05-21, 05:54 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

I went to put the rack on and it wouldn't clear the DR hanger. A light bulb went off and I figured out what you were referring to. I dug into all the bits and pieces left over and came up with this. I re-tuned the RD in one shot this time

Now it's right and I don't have any pieces left over!
and all is right with the world again.
Old 06-05-21, 05:57 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
I was wondering about your rack idea. Why wouldn't you just put the rack on that eyelet on the dropout? There should be a matching eyelet on the dropout on the other side.
Old 06-05-21, 06:40 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

I was wondering about your rack idea. Why wouldn't you just put the rack on that eyelet on the dropout? There should be a matching eyelet on the dropout on the other side.
That's what I did. I use the threaded hole on each side for the rack frame. But when I had the DR hanger way back, the rack frame hit it and wouldn't line up with the threaded hole. That's when your words finally penetrated this crusty old head and I figured out what you were really referring to. Thank you. I owe you a cold one.