Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Richey P 23 info request

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Richey P 23 info request

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-21, 06:54 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
Richey P 23 info request

I just took on another project at the bike exchange to paint a Richey Logic mountain bike. According to the previous owner it is a 1996 p 23. I have been looking on the internet trying to find another example of this model to verify the decals.

The closest thing I found at VeloCals was for a p 22. All the decals in that package match the ones on my bike which is missing the top tube decals. I am trying to find out if the p23 of that year uses the same decals. I have been unable to find a 1996 catalogue. Anyone have one that I could use for reference. This frame is a solid red. The closest color I have found is Rustoleum Sunrise red. Anyone have a color suggestion.

In doing my research I think It originally had a 3x7 drive train with Shimano Deore thumb shifters and cantilever brakes . It now sports a 2 x 9 drivetrain with trigger shifters and linear pull brakes . My guess is that to get top dollar for the bike at sale we should try to replace the mods with the original parts.

Some of the bikes for sale are asking crazy money. Hopefully if we get it right we can sell it for a good price.

So help me out folks. Any info appreciated.

Last edited by capnjonny; 06-04-21 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-04-21, 07:14 PM
brian3069

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
You might think twice about repainting, that typically kills the value of vintage bikes.
Likes For brian3069:
Old 06-04-21, 10:21 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
Too late, I already started scraping off the paint. Our shop manager tells me it is not that collectable. Painting it was his idea. I agree it looks o/k in the pictures. it has lots of paint loss though and I like painting bikes so maybe the hard core guys will stay away from it but when it is done it will look like new and someone will hopefully want it at a good price.
Old 06-04-21, 10:43 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by capnjonny
Too late, I already started scraping off the paint. Our shop manager tells me it is not that collectable. Painting it was his idea. I agree it looks o/k in the pictures. it has lots of paint loss though and I like painting bikes so maybe the hard core guys will stay away from it but when it is done it will look like new and someone will hopefully want it at a good price.
Your shop manager doesn't know what the eff he is talking about. There is no such thing as a Ritchey that isn't collectable. What may be hard is the size of the frame looks big. But no need to repaint unless it was truly needed.

Probably worth $500ish as is and probably worth $500ish after you paint it.

Last edited by mechanicmatt; 06-04-21 at 10:49 PM.
Likes For mechanicmatt:
Old 06-10-21, 01:15 PM
Ronbo Fomby

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have owned a P23 since new. In my opinion the decal on the top tube won't influence the selling price one way or the other.
Old 06-10-21, 01:23 PM
tendency

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 104 Posts
shoot that sucker's my size and i woulda bought it straight up as-is off you w/out thinking twice. no need to re-paint. id just fix any obvious rust. less is more w/ these agree with previous posters.