Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help identify this old Italian frame

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-21, 05:57 AM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 214 Posts

made an offer from Art Bikes that was accepted for this frame, so won't have it in hand for a while, and they don't know what it is either, accept that they think it's 40's or 50's vintage. has internal cable routing for the RD cable. 115mm rear spacing. any ideas?

Old 06-12-21, 06:38 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Some hints here:
https://condorino.com/2016/09/12/leg...r-bolt-design/
Old 06-12-21, 07:03 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 3,335 Times in 2,175 Posts
-----

iab MauriceMoss

frame appears constructed of all Agrati bits

suspect you will find it to measure ~56cm c-t-t;
Agrati offered their bulge-formed heads in limited heights/lengths; usually for gents frames the smaller one would build a 56cm; the example employed here is likely the smaller of two gents sizes offered in this pattern at this time; it probably measures ~135mm in height

dropouts appear to be Agrati item nr. 000.8002

fork ends appear to be Agrati item nr. 000.8010

crown a variation of Agrati item nr. 000.8058; in later years the oval opening was smaller in size

OEM seat binder likely a Way-Assauto product

-----

Last edited by juvela; 06-12-21 at 08:27 AM. Reason: addition
Likes For juvela:
Old 06-12-21, 07:31 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
A heroic project
Old 06-12-21, 07:35 AM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Originally Posted by repechage
A heroic project
i guess weird and unusual seems to be where i'm headed. i have pretty much all the parts i need including a set of high flange campy hubs, with the rear hub spaced at 116mm. probably will try to preserve the patina.
Old 06-12-21, 07:38 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 1,406 Posts
With the pump pegs on the back of the seat tube, internal brake cable routing, internal routing for likely a Simplex rear derailleur, you likely have a Sport bike from the late 40s. Single ring up front, 3 speed in back and upright bars with the classy bone grips..

Having the binder bolt in front is somewhat rare post war, and it reminds me of something. If it comes to me I'll post.

If you are interested, for bars. Not affiliated with seller.

https://www.ebay.it/itm/Manubrio-Amb...16.m2518.l4276
Likes For iab:
Old 06-12-21, 07:28 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by iab
With the pump pegs on the back of the seat tube, internal brake cable routing, internal routing for likely a Simplex rear derailleur, you likely have a Sport bike from the late 40s. Single ring up front, 3 speed in back and upright bars with the classy bone grips..

Having the binder bolt in front is somewhat rare post war, and it reminds me of something. If it comes to me I'll post.

If you are interested, for bars. Not affiliated with seller.

https://www.ebay.it/itm/Manubrio-Amb...16.m2518.l4276
reminds me of the scam on Gridplan some time ago by that notorious vintage bike guy out of Boston, who might get out of the Fed Pen this year.
Old 06-12-21, 07:48 PM
iab

Originally Posted by repechage
reminds me of the scam on Gridplan some time ago by that notorious vintage bike guy out of Boston, who might get out of the Fed Pen this year.
I was told he is out and has sent a few FB friend requests.
Old 06-13-21, 12:51 PM
Condorino

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
With the pump pegs on the back of the seat tube, internal brake cable routing, internal routing for likely a Simplex rear derailleur, you likely have a Sport bike from the late 40s. Single ring up front, 3 speed in back and upright bars with the classy bone grips. Having the binder bolt in front is somewhat rare post war, and it reminds me of something. If it comes to me I'll post.
I would agree that the general format of the frame would suggest a 'Sportivo' or sport bike and probably a top model given the internal cable routing such as the 'Selvino' from Bianchi although I am not suggesting this is a Bianchi frame. To help you on your way . . . I took a look at a few old catalogs that illustrated the type of seat lug with the binder bolt above the top tube and ahead of the seat post as follows:

Ganna 1939
Gloria 1941
Maino 1936
Bianchi 1941, 1949, 1950, 1953

Again, not suggesting that this frame is from any of these makers as I am outside of my expertise on this one to be sure. Juvela would know if the Bianchi seat lug was proprietary to them . . . the other marques listed may have used the Agrati product(s).

regards,
Mark
Likes For Condorino:
Old 06-13-21, 12:57 PM
juvela

Originally Posted by Condorino
I would agree that the general format of the frame would suggest a 'Sportivo' or sport bike and probably a top model given the internal cable routing such as the 'Selvino' from Bianchi although I am not suggesting this is a Bianchi frame. To help you on your way . . . I took a look at a few old catalogs that illustrated the type of seat lug with the binder bolt above the top tube and ahead of the seat post as follows:

Ganna 1939
Gloria 1941
Maino 1936

Again, not suggesting that this frame is from any of these makers as I am outside of my expertise on this one to be sure. Juvela would know if the Bianchi seat lug was proprietary to them . . . the other marques listed may have used the Agrati product(s).

regards,
Mark
-----

thank you so much Mark!

-----
Old 06-13-21, 01:26 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Fork crown resembles that of my 1962 Bianchi, but I have also heard that low end Bianchis of that day were actually rebranded Chiordas.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 06-13-21, 01:41 PM
iab

Originally Posted by Condorino

Ganna 1939
Gloria 1941
Maino 1936

regards,
Mark
Pre war binder bolts in front of the tube are common like dirt. I can't think of a major manufacturer who didn't do that. Most being on top, with Legnano being somewhat of an exception with the bolt below the top tube. Except the lone year of 1925 when Legnano had it on the top.

But post war it is not common. Granted, it is possible this bike could be prewar. Simplex was available then. It's just not very likely. I am 99% confident it is none you listed, the build characteristics of the OP's bike do not match what's typical for Gloria, Ganna, Maino & Bianchi. If I were to make wild-ass guess, I'd say it came out of a small shop in the greater Torino area. Which, I haven't a clue.
Likes For iab:
Old 06-13-21, 06:56 PM
juvela

-----

one variable we have not as yet mentioned is shell width

while it is a 99%+ chance that the shell is of seventy mm width there is a slight possibility at it may be of seventy-four mm width

understandably, enthusiasts tend to think of the seventy-four mm as a "Cino thing"
however it was also employed by other italian makers when one gets back far enough in time

if it chanced to be a seventy-four it might narrow the possible manufacturers for the expert detectives...

-----
Old 06-13-21, 07:21 PM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

as i won't have the frame for probably a month, measuring the shell width will have to wait for now. aside from the pics, this is the seller write-up..

Vintage frame set for sport bikes, light and well manufactured (we don't know the frame builder)
YEAR OF PRODUCTION
From the 40s / 50s
SPECS
Size center to center: 55 cm (seat tube),
57 cm (top tube) 13 cm (head tube)

Headset: 1"

Bottom bracket shell thread: ITALIAN
Rear dropouts spacing: 115 mm
Seatpost diameter: 26,8 mm
Weight: 2930 grams (frame, fork, headset)
Made of: steel tubes
Likes For cocoabeachcrab:
Old 06-13-21, 09:13 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 542 Posts
Kind of unrelated but I bought some bits from ArtBikes and there packaging was the best I have ever seen. Super meticulous bordering on over the top.
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 06-13-21, 09:58 PM
juvela

Originally Posted by cocoabeachcrab
as i won't have the frame for probably a month, measuring the shell width will have to wait for now. aside from the pics, this is the seller write-up..

Vintage frame set for sport bikes, light and well manufactured (we don't know the frame builder)
YEAR OF PRODUCTION
From the 40s / 50s
SPECS
Size center to center: 55 cm (seat tube),
57 cm (top tube) 13 cm (head tube)

Headset: 1"

Bottom bracket shell thread: ITALIAN
Rear dropouts spacing: 115 mm
Seatpost diameter: 26,8 mm
Weight: 2930 grams (frame, fork, headset)
Made of: steel tubes
-----

thanks very much for this information

the stated frame size and head tube height/length fit right in with the Agrati bulge-formed head dimensions

they typically offered two sizes for gents and two for ladies with the smaller gents being 135mm nominal which yields a frame of 56cm/22" as measured c-t-t

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 06-14-21, 10:14 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by iab
I was told he is out and has sent a few FB friend requests.
Lock up your Cinelli's.
Old 06-14-21, 02:29 PM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

thanks very much for this information

the stated frame size and head tube height/length fit right in with the Agrati bulge-formed head dimensions

they typically offered two sizes for gents and two for ladies with the smaller gents being 135mm nominal which yields a frame of 56cm/22" as measured c-t-t

-----
with the exception of the integrated headset, it look pretty much like a Bianchi Selvino. i wonder if the pre 1950 Selvinos did not have that headset type?
Old 06-14-21, 04:15 PM
iab

with the exception of the integrated headset, it look pretty much like a Bianchi Selvino. i wonder if the pre 1950 Selvinos did not have that headset type?
Definitely not a Selvino. Well, almost. I have learned never to say never. But a Bianchi Selvino had an integrated headset. The head lugs are all wrong. BB is all wrong. Fork crown, dropout treatment, lack of serial on seat cluster. All of it is atypical to Bianchi.
Likes For iab:
Old 06-14-21, 05:13 PM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Originally Posted by iab
Definitely not a Selvino. Well, almost. I have learned never to say never. But a Bianchi Selvino had an integrated headset. The head lugs are all wrong. BB is all wrong. Fork crown, dropout treatment, lack of serial on seat cluster. All of it is atypical to Bianchi.
this era of bicycles is way out of my wheelhouse, but as i was WFW (waiting for wife) while she was shopping today, i was perusing my cell phone for bike images from that time period, and admittedly cell phone web searching without glasses can be a less than quality experience, the Selvino looked liked a possible candidate. but as was mentioned previously, that type of sport bike was not limited to Bianchi. i haven't noticed any serial numbers from viewing the seller's listing of images, so perhaps it was a small shop production. thanks for everyone's efforts...
Old 06-14-21, 06:21 PM
iab

It really doesn't matter who made it, it just oozes cool. I had a Selvino and a Bianchi Sport. Love them and the style of the bike - a city bike with some umpf. My problem is with most bikes in this category, they came in a 55cm, whether you fit or not. I fall on the not end of the spectrum.. Even with the 57 top tube, I had to put on a long stem and jack the seat. It just looked wrong. But cheap to make back in the day.

If you have some extra cash, this just popped on ebay. Cambio corsa Sport bike. Has a braze on for the chain guard. So cool.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274833572181

Likes For iab:
Old 06-14-21, 06:42 PM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Originally Posted by iab
It really doesn't matter who made it, it just oozes cool. I had a Selvino and a Bianchi Sport. Love them and the style of the bike - a city bike with some umpf. My problem is with most bikes in this category, they came in a 55cm, whether you fit or not. I fall on the not end of the spectrum.. Even with the 57 top tube, I had to put on a long stem and jack the seat. It just looked wrong. But cheap to make back in the day.

If you have some extra cash, this just popped on ebay. Cambio corsa Sport bike. Has a braze on for the chain guard. So cool.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274833572181

wow! not flush with cash at the moment... my wife's car is going to need a new air conditioner compressor i'm thinking, so no more fun for awhile!
Old 06-22-21, 01:37 PM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

-----

one variable we have not as yet mentioned is shell width

while it is a 99%+ chance that the shell is of seventy mm width there is a slight possibility at it may be of seventy-four mm width

understandably, enthusiasts tend to think of the seventy-four mm as a "Cino thing"
however it was also employed by other italian makers when one gets back far enough in time

if it chanced to be a seventy-four it might narrow the possible manufacturers for the expert detectives...

-----
68mm BB width. not sure of threading yet.. have to try some cups on for size tomorrow. so, maybe not an old italian frame after all?

Last edited by cocoabeachcrab; 06-22-21 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-22-21, 01:50 PM
juvela

68mm BB width. not sure of threading yet.. have to try some cups on for size tomorrow. so, maybe not an old italian frame after all?
-----

certainly puzzling/surprising

perchance iab shall be able to radiate some of his vast illumination...

...or could be as simple as a worker leaning on the facer a bit too heavily...

-----
Old 06-22-21, 01:57 PM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

-----

certainly puzzling/surprising

perchance iab shall be able to radiate some of his vast illumination...

...or could be as simple as a worker leaning on the facer a bit too heavily...

-----
i measured inside the shell with my calipers.. looks like 34.9mm but haven't fitted any cups in there yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.