Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How to wash my bike with wash gun?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-20-21, 02:56 PM
cycling2012

Bikes: Merida x-fit 2010;

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Dogma f10,CP super red 12s,CP ultra bora 50.I don't want water into bearings with water gun.what kind of water gun should I buy?

Old 06-20-21, 02:59 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
N o n e

Friend washed his Bike at the Car Wash.
Destroyed All the Bearings

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 06-20-21 at 03:21 PM. Reason: +
Old 06-20-21, 03:14 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
N o n e
Wrong answer. The correct answer is pretty whatever you can afford. It's not going to wreck your bike by itself, you have to make all the mistakes. I've washed hundreds and hundreds of bikes w/ pressure washer and not killed a single one. This one is great, hopefully it's available somewhere: Muc Off bike washer
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 06-20-21, 04:15 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
One of these. They come in colors to help match the bike

Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 06-20-21, 04:41 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Just don’t aim it at parts with bearings.
Old 06-20-21, 04:51 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
Why don't you just wipe it off with a damp towel? Or use those premoistened towelettes that come in a cannister? If it's not caked with mud, I can't see where you need a hose or pressure washer of any sort.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-20-21, 05:08 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,671 Posts
Garden hose at low pressure plus soft long-bristle and short-bristle brushes. Takes no longer than a pressure washer would. Why risk washing out lubricant?

(My neighbor uses a gasoline-powered leaf blower for the postage-stamp-sized lawn in front of his Baltimore row house. What made me think of that?)
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 06-20-21, 05:44 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Garden hose at low pressure plus soft long-bristle and short-bristle brushes. Takes no longer than a pressure washer would. Why risk washing out lubricant?

(My neighbor uses a gasoline-powered leaf blower for the postage-stamp-sized lawn in front of his Baltimore row house. What made me think of that?)
This
Old 06-20-21, 05:45 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
+1 damp rag.
Old 06-20-21, 06:13 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,691 Times in 972 Posts
Don't do that. No sort of high pressure washer should ever be used on a high end road bike that has not done at least 100 km in torrential rain. Even then, the bike should be completely disassembled and overhauled before it goes back out on the road. Pressure washers are not needed anywhere near a road bike
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 06-20-21, 09:42 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by alcjphil
Don't do that. No sort of high pressure washer should ever be used on a high end road bike that has not done at least 100 km in torrential rain. Even then, the bike should be completely disassembled and overhauled before it goes back out on the road. Pressure washers are not needed anywhere near a road bike
And you as well are wrong. The 'don't wash your bike' myth is just that...a myth. As I posted before I've washed a metric **** ton of bikes, many of them w/ a pressure washer. I think that most of the people claiming all the crazy stuff about pressure washers ruining bikes have never even used one.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 06-20-21, 10:34 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3401 Post(s)
Liked 3,531 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
The 'don't (pressure) wash your bike' myth is just that...a myth. As I posted before I've washed a metric **** ton of bikes, many of them w/ a pressure washer. I think that most of the people claiming all the crazy stuff about pressure washers ruining bikes have never even used one.
A pressure washer is really good at injecting water into the moving parts of a bicycle. Even a garden hose with a nozzle will do the same.

It’s a significantly bad idea.

I’ve had to replace rusted headsets on far too many rental bikes, thanks to a clueless mechanic armed with a garden hose.

Put some soapy water in a bucket, apply with a couple of brushes, lightly rinse off with a fine spray from a garden hose, wipe down the frame with an absorbent cloth.

Or if only the frame needs a quick clean, spray some dilute ammonia on the frame, wipe with a soft cloth. I do that almost daily to get off the sweat drops and spilled drink mix.

That is all.

Last edited by terrymorse; 06-20-21 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-20-21, 10:41 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by terrymorse
A pressure washer is really good at injecting water into the moving parts of a bicycle. Even a garden hose with a nozzle will do the same.

It’s a significantly bad idea.

Some soapy water in a bucket, a couple of brushes, then lightly rinse off with a fine spray from a garden hose.

That is all.
So you're calling me a liar in not so many words, right? Because I say I've done it and you say it can't be done?
Old 06-20-21, 10:51 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

So you're calling me a liar in not so many words, right? Because I say I've done it and you say it can't be done?
If you’re telling the truth, and you’ve power washed many bikes without ruining moving parts, I say you’ve been lucky.

I didn’t write that it can’t be done. I wrote that it’s a significantly bad idea, because it is. And I explained the failure mechanism. And I shared personal experiences of such failures.

The way bearings fail has been studied for at least 100 years. The top causes of bearing failure are loss of lubricant and water contamination. Pressure washing can produce both. Why take the chance?

Last edited by terrymorse; 06-20-21 at 11:06 PM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 06-20-21, 10:59 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by terrymorse
If you’re telling the truth, and you’ve power washed many bikes without ruining moving parts, I say you’ve been lucky.

I didn’t write that it can’t be done. I wrote that it’s a significantly bad idea, because it is. And I explained the failure mechanism. And I shared personal experiences of such failures.
When you've washed bikes as a pro team mechanic for the better part of 15 years 'luck' isn't part of the equation. Knowing what you're doing is a big part of it. Of course if you do it incorrectly you can blow right past seals. If you do it the right way you won't ruin a thing. Pretty much every pro team mechanic I've seen and/or worked with uses pressurized water to wash bikes. It's not hard if you are smart about it.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 06-20-21, 11:30 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

When you've washed bikes as a pro team mechanic for the better part of 15 years 'luck' isn't part of the equation. Knowing what you're doing is a big part of it. Of course if you do it incorrectly you can blow right past seals. If you do it the right way you won't ruin a thing. Pretty much every pro team mechanic I've seen and/or worked with uses pressurized water to wash bikes. It's not hard if you are smart about it.
Mechanics are not engineers, and they often do stupid things. Tell an engineer that you’re going to fire high pressure water near bearings, the engineer will advise against it in no uncertain terms.

Pro team bicycle mechanics are equally untrained in engineering and tribology, and they are just as susceptible to picking up stupid tricks, passed down from older mechanics who swear they’ve been “doing it for years with no problems”. I wouldn’t trust any mechanic with a high pressure wand, even the “pro team” ones who claim they are “smart” about how they wield it.

Spraying high pressure water anywhere near bearings is risky. Such practice isn’t allowed in any industry that I can think of. Except bicycles, of course, where myth and lore survive.

Last edited by terrymorse; 06-21-21 at 09:29 AM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 06-20-21, 11:47 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
I don't think pro team mechanics are a great example to cite if you're talking practices to promote longevity... Replacing stuff regularly is likely to be preferred to spending more time on daily chores. It's certainly expeditious for them to use pressure washers.

Perhaps the clue is in cxwrench 's name? Mud, as opposed to dust, and cross bikes rather than road bikes?
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 06-21-21, 02:43 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I use a water bottle fulled with hot water to spray the drivetrain.
Old 06-21-21, 06:33 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
I have used the Hybrid cxwrench method for 40+ years. I wash my bikes.. a LOT. I don't use a pressure washer, but I do use a pre-pressure reducing valve garden hose that has enough pressure to reach the sun (okay, maybe the moon). I use the pressure on the wheels, tires, frame/fork, under the saddle... I dial it back for the drivetrain and hubs, and don't hit the bearings directly. It's not rocket surgery.

In addition to always having very clean bikes, I also ride some old bikes. Somehow, those two are NOT in conflict with each other.

Last edited by Zaskar; 06-21-21 at 06:36 AM.
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 06-21-21, 07:00 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
At the family home, we've got a 2300 psi electric pressure washer. Anytime I have my bike(s) there and need a good cleaning, I don't hesitate using the pressure washer. I just make sure to switch the nozzle out to 40° and it does the job. I've been cleaning all my bikes this way for the last 14 years and helps rid of all the crud that builds up especially on the cassette and brake calipers.
Likes For primov8:
Old 06-21-21, 07:07 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
I'm kinda surprised nobody's posted this classic yet.

Old 06-21-21, 08:45 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
One potential downside - you blast Bradley's name off your bike ;-)
Old 06-21-21, 08:52 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Take it in the shower with you.
Old 06-21-21, 09:21 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
If my bike is on the roof of my car when I take the car to the carwash it gets sprayed down. None of the bikes that I have been doing this with (for years) have self-destructed. I just don't spray down the bearing surfaces with a high-pressure spray. This isn't exactly rocket science. Use common sense and you'll be fine.

Likes For Andy Somnifac:
Old 06-21-21, 09:36 AM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by Kimmo
I don't think pro team mechanics are a great example to cite if you're talking practices to promote longevity... Replacing stuff regularly is likely to be preferred to spending more time on daily chores. It's certainly expeditious for them to use pressure washers.

Perhaps the clue is in cxwrench 's name? Mud, as opposed to dust, and cross bikes rather than road bikes?
I wondered if someone would bring these things up. No, we don't just blast away knowing that we can just replace parts if we wash them to death...because we'd have to spend more time replacing the parts. I've worked for CX racers a few times but 90% of my time was spent working for road teams.
Originally Posted by Zaskar
I have used the Hybrid cxwrench method for 40+ years. I wash my bikes.. a LOT. I don't use a pressure washer, but I do use a pre-pressure reducing valve garden hose that has enough pressure to reach the sun (okay, maybe the moon). I use the pressure on the wheels, tires, frame/fork, under the saddle... I dial it back for the drivetrain and hubs, and don't hit the bearings directly. It's not rocket surgery.

In addition to always having very clean bikes, I also ride some old bikes. Somehow, those two are NOT in conflict with each other.
Nice work!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.