Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why We Should STOP Our Obsession With Bike Weight

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why We Should STOP Our Obsession With Bike Weight

Old 06-29-21, 03:50 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,718 Times in 2,913 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Just get an ebike. If you're going to spend money to improve your speed up hills, what does it matter how you spend it?
I’m pretty sure e-bikes are not allowed in the timed Sportive events I enter. Anyway, the idea is to use only my own power. I’m certainly not against e-bikes, but they are totally irrelevant to this discussion.
Old 06-29-21, 03:53 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Alee Denham's quantitative study of this topic is fascinating to me, and really relevant to the kind of riding I do. This hard data takes a lot of the "weight weenie" out of me. He does make the disclaimer that these studies are about touring, primarily, not racing (where a few seconds can matter a lot).

The part of the study that looks at rolling resistance and aero effects of panniers also surprised me. I had these factors switched with weight before I saw his investigation using a power meter and stopwatch.
Old 06-29-21, 04:12 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by msu2001la
You know they can just press a little button on their radio and be off and riding on an identical spare bike in a matter of seconds, right? Pro bike racing seems like one of the few situations where shaving grams at the expense of durability makes sense. They don't need bikes that survive crashing. They have a whole car full of spare bikes, parts and mechanics that follow them around.
I would agree with this if it wasn’t for the now pretty conservative UCI minimum weight. Without that restriction they would go a fair bit lighter. So now we have non-race bikes like the Aethos coming in well under the minimum race weight.

As long as you don’t crash at 65 kph and have half a dozen other riders slam into your bike it should be durable enough. The only thing with carbon is that it isn’t very tolerant of being loaded in the wrong direction. So for example stamping on a thin carbon seatstay is likely to break it, while a steel one would probably be okay.
Old 06-29-21, 05:03 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
What's flawed about it?
I guess you missed the OP’s previous thread about his theory that the lower jockey wheel had worn and caused the chain to catch on the cage and destroy his Shimano derailleur.

He insisted it was due to Shimano’s flawed design. He was quite adamant; complete with sketches depicting the design flaw.

But it all worked out because the OP was able to replace it with a non-Shimano rear derailleur for $2.25.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 06-29-21, 06:03 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I would agree with this if it wasn’t for the now pretty conservative UCI minimum weight. Without that restriction they would go a fair bit lighter. So now we have non-race bikes like the Aethos coming in well under the minimum race weight.

As long as you don’t crash at 65 kph and have half a dozen other riders slam into your bike it should be durable enough. The only thing with carbon is that it isn’t very tolerant of being loaded in the wrong direction. So for example stamping on a thin carbon seatstay is likely to break it, while a steel one would probably be okay.
CF is amazingly strong. My bike has an integrated seatpost. Had to chop off about 4" to fit the seat properly. I actually made two 2" cuts just to be safe. Anyway, I took one of the cut sections, laid it on it's side and stood on it. No flex at all. Jumped up and down on it and it didn't budge. I was amazed. I assumed it would at least crack.
Old 06-29-21, 06:07 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I’m certainly not against e-bikes, but they are totally irrelevant to this discussion.
How so? E-bikes are even heavier than regular bikes, so they're right on target for this discussion.
Old 06-29-21, 10:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,867 Times in 2,580 Posts
I guess if that is what you want go for it.

In terms of e-bikes mine is probably 70lbs, whatever. It weighs what it weighs, two 625wh batteries, Rohloff E-14, front suspension, Bosch mid-drive...I am not trying to save on weight, reliability, durability and usability are most important. I want to be able to tour and get groceries and all that sort of stuff. Sure if I could get all of that down to 40lbs that would be great but that ain't happening in something reliable at least not for many years. Maybe in the future this will all get ultralight but batteries are unlikely to get much lighter and still have the same capacity and I don't want a less powerful motor or a less reliable 14 speed IGH with electronic shifting.
Old 06-29-21, 10:43 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I guess if that is what you want go for it.

In terms of e-bikes mine is probably 70lbs, whatever. It weighs what it weighs, two 625wh batteries, Rohloff E-14, front suspension, Bosch mid-drive...I am not trying to save on weight, reliability, durability and usability are most important. I want to be able to tour and get groceries and all that sort of stuff. Sure if I could get all of that down to 40lbs that would be great but that ain't happening in something reliable at least not for many years. Maybe in the future this will all get ultralight but batteries are unlikely to get much lighter and still have the same capacity and I don't want a less powerful motor or a less reliable 14 speed IGH with electronic shifting.
Who makes your bike or did you build it yourself? How far can you go one a single charge, since you mention touring?
Old 06-30-21, 07:10 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
How so? E-bikes are even heavier than regular bikes, so they're right on target for this discussion.
So what point are you making with e-bikes?
Old 06-30-21, 08:18 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the OP has never ridden a light bike. Light road bikes are fabulous. Light mountain bikes are even more fabulous.

I have bikes ranging from 17 lbs to 30+ lbs. Each is excellent at doing its particular job. Light bikes have a place in the lineup because they offer advantages that can be enjoyed even by ordinary athletes who are nevertheless experienced riders.

If you're a heavy rider with poor technique, then there's no need to obsess over any weight but your own. Figure that out and fix it. Then learn to ride "light", and then go out and try a lighter bike.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 06-30-21, 09:18 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Most cyclist are not too worried about weight. Bikes have gotten so light and fragile that the UCI has set a low limit.

I remember back in the 80s when the weight weenies were drilling out everything they could on a bike. The racer boyz learned that drilled out bikes never made it to the finish line with out failing.

Last edited by rydabent; 07-01-21 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-30-21, 09:49 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3342 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,741 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Bikes have gotten so light and fragile that the UCI has set a low limit..
I'm not seeing evidence that lightweight bikes are "fragile".

On the contrary, modern carbon parts and frames are often stronger and stiffer than the heavier stuff they replace.

The UCI weight limit of 6.9 kg was established in 2000 to prevent "stupid light" bikes and ensure that competitors raced on similar bikes.

Technology has improved greatly since 2000, and now a strong and sturdy bike can be built that's well below the UCI limit.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 06-30-21, 10:02 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by terrymorse

On the contrary, modern carbon parts and frames are often stronger and stiffer than the heavier stuff they replace.

The UCI weight limit of 6.9 kg was established in 2000 to prevent "stupid light" bikes and ensure that competitors raced on similar bikes.

Technology has improved greatly since 2000, and now a strong and sturdy bike can be built that's well below the UCI limit.

+1
The UCI minimum weight is now very conservative.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-30-21, 11:06 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts

I know essentially nothing about bikes in this realm, so pardon the ignorance in my questions, but what is the current impact of the restriction?

Is there a price difference for fielding a significantly lighter bike or could all the teams equip riders with lighter bikes for similar cost?

What do the pro teams do to keep the weight up above the limit? Is their rider or team pressure asking for a lower limit or is it not really an issue?

Otto
Old 06-30-21, 11:12 AM
bikehoco

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
“We” want to know which weighs less, water or Gatorade? 😀
Old 06-30-21, 11:14 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by bikehoco
“We” want to know which weighs less, water or Gatorade? 😀
Cmon, everybody knows a pound of Gatorade weighs less than a pound of water.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-30-21, 11:29 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts

Agree with all of this. Carbon has definitely gotten stronger, stiffer and lighter in the last 20 years. UCI will probably revisit the 6.8kg (15lb) limit at some point, but it's not really holding back manufacturers. A good example is the Specialized S-Works Aethos which is just 6.2kg (13lbs 12 oz) with disc brakes and clinchers. Yes, it's a crazy expensive bike, but it is still a factory built consumer grade product with a full warranty, rather than some backyard drillium project that is going to fall apart if you ride over a crack.

Carbon is really strong. Steven Kruijswijk was involved in a huge pileup crash on Saturday and his seat stay was sheered off. He got back on the bike and still raced it to the finish with just one stay:
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 06-30-21, 11:45 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
I know essentially nothing about bikes in this realm, so pardon the ignorance in my questions, but what is the current impact of the restriction?

Is there a price difference for fielding a significantly lighter bike or could all the teams equip riders with lighter bikes for similar cost?

What do the pro teams do to keep the weight up above the limit? Is their rider or team pressure asking for a lower limit or is it not really an issue?

Otto
Most pro race disc brake bikes are right at or slightly above the 6.8kg weight limit. Rim brake bikes are usually below the limit, and teams will attach weights to the bikes to bring them up to 6.8kg.

Pro riders are generally weight weenies and want the lightest bikes possible. Most of them would prefer a 6kg bike with 800g of weight added over a bike that is 6.8kg out of the box, because that added weight can be lower down on the bike which helps make it feel lighter when they rock it back and forth on a climb. This is especially true with wheelsets where they all want the lightest sets possible because they spin up faster and generally make a bike feel faster. If you look at pro bikes in this year's Tour de France, there are a number of them running "non-sponsor correct" wheels with blacked out logos, which are likely lighter than whatever their official team sponsor can make.

Cost is somewhat irrelevant for top level pro teams. The bikes are all provided to them from manufacturers under sponsorship contracts, so it's not as if Jumbo Visma has to go buy a new batch of Cervelos every spring, and would complain if the cost went up. Manufacturers use pro racing to develop and test new products. The bikes are required to be commercially available, but there are many prototype products/components in use on the pro tour.

Here's an interesting article about non-sponsorship correct wheelsets currently in use at the Tour:
https://cyclingtips.com/2021/06/tour...-weve-spotted/
Old 06-30-21, 11:46 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts

Indeed. I remember back in the 90s when the now-defunct 'Bicycle Guide' magazine put together a 16 lb bike, sparing no expense and paying attention only to the weight of components, and came up with a bike so noodly nobody over 150 lbs could reasonably ride it. It even had Modolo's plastic DT shifters that had a reputation for coming apart in the hand - a fact they even mentioned in the article!

Now, you have bikes like the Specialized Aethos that weighs 13 lbs but will carry a rider as heavy as 275 lbs, and won't crumble under them.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-30-21, 12:36 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Indeed. I remember back in the 90s when the now-defunct 'Bicycle Guide' magazine put together a 16 lb bike, sparing no expense and paying attention only to the weight of components, and came up with a bike so noodly nobody over 150 lbs could reasonably ride it. It even had Modolo's plastic DT shifters that had a reputation for coming apart in the hand - a fact they even mentioned in the article!

Now, you have bikes like the Specialized Aethos that weighs 13 lbs but will carry a rider as heavy as 275 lbs, and won't crumble under them.
Did you see the Cervelo from the first stage (I think) of the TdF? Lost a seat stay in a pileup, still finished the stage.
Old 06-30-21, 12:38 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18321 Post(s)
Liked 15,302 Times in 7,232 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Did you see the Cervelo from the first stage (I think) of the TdF? Lost a seat stay in a pileup, still finished the stage.
See post #92 above.
Old 06-30-21, 12:42 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
that's the new bluetooth seat stay tech for 2022
Old 06-30-21, 12:46 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
I wonder what the bike felt like to ride? I suspect a little 'springy'.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-30-21, 12:46 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
See post #92 above.
D'oh!

This is the problem with the signal-to-noise in some of these threads - it doesn't encourage reading.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-30-21, 02:24 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I wonder what the bike felt like to ride? I suspect a little 'springy'.
Or ONE seat stay becomes common!
Likes For kahn:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.