Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Dress code

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-21, 02:36 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
I'm still annoyed my wife threw away my favorite bell bottom jeans, in about 1986. They were only ten years old and had another decade of life left.
and more than that, if you don't wear 'em out too fast!!!
Old 06-29-21, 02:38 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
When I resumed cycling in 2015, riding a comfort hybrid and wore casual clothes, I swore I'd never return to wearing those tighty wool jerseys and shorts with chamois and shoes with cleats and toe clips.

And I didn't. Nope. When I got my first road bike in 30+ years in 2017, I bought tighty Lycra and Spandex jerseys and padded shorts and bibs, and clipless shoes. Because it turned out to be functional.

And when I resumed jogging last autumn, for the first time in nearly 40 years, I swore I'd never return to wearing shorty shorts and sleeveless t-shirts.

And I didn't. Until February, when I added some real running shoes to the clot of gear. And shorty shorts. And sleeveless tees.

Once in awhile I tell myself I'm just going for a casual 5 mile walk. So I wear baggy shorts down to my knees. Then after warming up for a mile or so I decide to jog a little. And every time the baggy shorts restrict my leg movement I swear I'm just gonna wear shorty shorts every time, just in case I change my mind and decide to run.

I'm still on the verge of losing all sense of shame and wearing snug compression tights for runs on days when my hip is aching. Maybe after I lose 5 lbs.

Gotta let that Pre flag fly sometimes.

The Age of Aquarius keeps on comin' back!!!!
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 06-29-21, 03:55 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
My sincere condolences on your return.

Since my legs are as hairy as an ape, I weed wack them down to something more presentable but don’t shave. I even MTB with those legs!
Yep, I'm the same. I don't even wear spandex anymore, I wear new-fangled "gravel" shorts (sleeker MTB shorts basically). But I'm more hirsute than I would prefer, so why not? Every couple months I take my clippers and whack down the leg hair a bit. Simply looks better, what can I say?
Likes For pbass:
Old 06-29-21, 04:41 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I don't follow other peoples dress codes...I make my own rules as to what I wear while cycling...
Yes, I too choose to wear one of the many standard iconoclast uniforms.

"Everyone in this room is wearing a uniform and don't kid yourself!"---Frank Zappa, addressing an incoherent fan yelling about uniformed "pigs" patrolling the concert hall.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 06-29-21, 06:20 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
The beer gut with the spandex, and tight Jersey always kills me.
Worked a rest stop at an event recently. I'm sure I won't make the cover of a magazine myself, but I at least keep my jersey zipped. Many of the guys with open jerseys should have kept them zipped just to hold their bellies up off of their shorts.

Old 06-29-21, 09:55 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
This thread needs more pictures. Here's one my wife took of me a couple years back.

Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 07-04-21, 08:45 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv

I'll just leave this here
Actually dress codes come from egotistical people that think they should be able to dictate what everyone wears. Pay to attention to them.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 07-04-21, 09:09 AM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
See lots of elderly couples riding their flat top bikes casually at around 10mph wearing full racing kit. Not a good look in my opinion. Wear what you want, but come on.
Likes For pgjackson:
Old 07-05-21, 11:26 AM
smurfy

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts
I turned 60 last May and no longer ride kit, although I still wear the lycra tops. I wear Columbia casual shorts with belt loops that I bought at a bike shop so I guess they're legit for bike riding. My other pair is Pearl Izumi MTB shorts with an inner liner but off the bike I feel like I'm wearing a diaper.

Any other suggestions for "old people" riding apparel?
Likes For smurfy:
Old 07-05-21, 04:18 PM
writespeak

Bikes: touring bike (Trek), mountain bike (Rocky Mountain), commuter bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Wear what you want to wear. People can think what they want, but would they change what they do because of what you think? Of course not. So, why should we change anything because of what they might think?

When I got into cycling in my 30s, I resisted wearing Lycra shorts at first because I'm not a follow-the-crowd type. Once I got my first pair, though, I was hooked. And yes, I know they don't flatter some figures, but comfort and function are more important than random people's opinions. And if Lycra shorts aren't your thing, that's great too. Do your thing.
Likes For writespeak:
Old 07-06-21, 03:09 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
The USA seems to be the only country where wearing lycra and full kits will have people staring at you or laugh behind your back and make you want to dress more casual. Walk into a convenience store in Italy with a Team Sky kit and no one would probably even notice.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 07-06-21, 06:34 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by smurfy
I turned 60 last May and no longer ride kit, although I still wear the lycra tops. I wear Columbia casual shorts with belt loops that I bought at a bike shop so I guess they're legit for bike riding. My other pair is Pearl Izumi MTB shorts with an inner liner but off the bike I feel like I'm wearing a diaper.

Any other suggestions for "old people" riding apparel?
Can you share examples of the Columbian shorts? these sound like a good facsimile to wearing cycling shorts. I bought a pair of cycling underwear, which are just a performance nylon under garment with a chamois pad in the crotch (same as in cycling shorts or bib shorts) and then slip my gym shorts over top.

Like you said though, I feel like I'm wearing some kind of diaper or something. They are comfortable for riding though.
Old 07-06-21, 06:00 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Lazyass
The USA seems to be the only country where wearing lycra and full kits will have people staring at you or laugh behind your back and make you want to dress more casual. Walk into a convenience store in Italy with a Team Sky kit and no one would probably even notice.
When I lived in San Diego, you could walk into a store in full kit on a ride and nobody would think twice. I live in the Florida Panhandle now....and cycling is pretty foreign out here. You will definitely get funny looks and a few laughs here in full kit. I just wear my bibs under a pair of lightweight gym shorts now. I never was comfortable in bibs in public anyway. I'm too slow to worry about aerodynamics.
Old 07-06-21, 06:56 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,059 Times in 1,078 Posts
If you're trying for sex appeal, you're in the wrong sport on the wrong place on the internet talking to the wrong people.

If you're not trying for sex appeal, see a doctor.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 07-06-21, 07:19 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3422 Post(s)
Liked 3,559 Times in 1,789 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
The USA seems to be the only country where wearing lycra and full kits will have people staring at you or laugh behind your back and make you want to dress more casual.
Here in the SF Bay Area, nobody gives a second look to a cyclist in full kit.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-07-21, 03:04 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Yeah I'm sure it's different there. I live in a small town on the NC/SC border and I have to drive 45 minutes to even have people to ride with. Where I live it's acceptable to wear your jeans literally hanging all the way below your butt cheeks with your underwear totally exposed. Never been able to figure how how they keep them attached and not fall down to the ankles. Not part way down mind you, ALL the way below the cheeks. But if you wear a cycling kit they look at you like an alien.
Old 07-08-21, 09:13 PM
Hank195

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
This ad on Danish TV for the TDF does a remarkable job of capturing the “dress code” and how it (we) are viewed by others. Pretty entertaining and spot on - as someone above said - “I’ve been seenl

Last edited by Hank195; 07-08-21 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Corrected link
Likes For Hank195:
Old 07-09-21, 10:19 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Same here in Philly.

It was a bit different when I toured in southern Spain 21 years ago. First day I popped into a bar in a rural area for a quick Coke. Got disapproving looks from the after-church crowd. After that I would put on my rain pants before entering many places. Places like small stores being one exception.

In NE Italy in 2013 it was completely different. One day the group stopped at a really nice villa for pastries, etc. It was so nice actress Sandra Bullock had stayed there. There were photos of her in one hallway. The workers didn’t bat an eye. Wasn’t the only time either. We were in a popular cycling area that promoted cycle tourism. I’m sure that helped shape attitudes about dress.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-09-21, 10:26 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Same experience in Tuscany/Umbria. Fantastic riding area. Popped in a cafe for an espresso and pastry and no reaction, other than maybe wincing at my terrible Italian.
Old 07-09-21, 12:56 PM
fredlord

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Unless you wear it to the opera.

The clown-factor of cycling gear increases exponentially with every metre of distance from the bike.

I remember caring about what other people thought of me; it happened during a two week period in 1977. Then I came back to my senses.
Likes For fredlord:
Old 07-13-21, 07:44 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
If you don't like the way I look .... don't look at me.

That's what I do.
Old 07-14-21, 02:50 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Tell me again why I should care about what non bikers think I should wear?
Old 07-15-21, 06:56 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Riders who wear "proper" biking attire probably cringe if they see me riding. With the exception of some loose fitting cycling pants, and some biking undershorts with chamois (strictly a comfort thing), I've never owned cycling specific attire. Loose fitting, wicking, t-shirts or long sleeved are my go to tops. Running shorts or long pants as mentioned for the bottoms. I use flat pedals with pins (and trail running shoes), for my road bike as well as the mtn.bike. Have some "shorty" socks with logos (gifts), that don't match shoes or any other piece of clothing I'm wearing. Maybe if I rode the road bike in a group, and I was faster and worried about keeping up, I might go for some more aero, fitted, bike specific clothing. For me, it's all about the comfort, and I'm not about to break any speed records. Wear what you want, what you like, and are comfortable wearing, I'll be out riding on what's comfortable to me. And I won't judge you for whatever you wear.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 07-15-21, 11:22 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
Just outlandish how some people display themselves in public early in the morning after a fast gravel stretch.
It is important to conform to the norm, ... in wool.
Thinking Pink for the next hair treat.

But you can't go wrong wearing that 'business casual' Polo jersey
Old 07-16-21, 03:16 AM
Lazyass

One thing I have noticed is that older riders tend to wear the loudest jerseys covered in logos and wild designs haha. Seems like it would be the opposite. I personally wear all black with minimal stuff on them. It's less eye catching.

This is my latest one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.