Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

People not saying hi

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

People not saying hi

Old 07-12-21, 10:43 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Thanks for the tips hermes, yeah woodside/canada/MH stop sign is pretty brutal, cars don't really know how to react to a stopped cyclist so we slow things down a lot, but its too sketchy to blast through even though that's the least intrusive option to cars. I was chatting with some people and saw some dude blast though it, they were upset and said he is contributing to road rage against cyclists, don't know if I agree with that. 4 wheelers will hate us no matter how we behave, and staying out of their way is better than following the rules of the road IMO. I'm fat and slow up hills, its kind of embarrassing. Haven't done OLH in a while, doubt I would break 25 minutes if I pushed myself. Fastest time is 28 minutes but I was riding and chatting with others. If I descend roads like 84 regularly im gonna die because I don't know how to corner and don't wear a helmet, but go fast anyways. Cant help myself, have to stay away from descents like that.

If I learn how to descend and start doing longer rides ill do that route. I was planning on upping my mileage significantly but wasn't really planning on exploring new roads, which is kinda stupid thinking about it. Would be nice to do some more rides to the ocean. I normally take 92 but I met a girl who I want to ride to the ocean with, she isn't the strongest rider so I don't want to do 92 with her.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 07-12-21 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-12-21, 10:49 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3341 Post(s)
Liked 3,441 Times in 1,739 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Woodside, CA has tough enforcement of traffic laws against cyclists violating the traffic laws. My two favorite intersections were Canada Road and Jeffreys and Mountain Home and Portola. And of course, the bottom Kings. I would stop and put a foot down at those intersections. Why? Because the cops hide from view and they do not recognize a slow roll through the stop sign as a stop.
Did you mean Canada Rd. and Jefferson? A moto-cop hangs out there on Jefferson, out of sight until you are into the intersection. A t-intersection with 3-way stop signs.

Canada Rd & Jefferson Ave, Woodside

Other traps:

Portola Rd & Sand Hill Rd--got pulled over there once turning right. The right turn lane from Portola has a stop sign that you can't see until you've made the turn.

Portola Rd & San Hill Rd, Woodside

Alpine Rd & Portola Rd--hundreds of tickets given out over the years. Sheriff car parks on Portola Rd near the gas station. A t-intersection with 3-way stop signs.

Alpine Rd. & Portola Rd, Portola Valley

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-12-21, 11:20 AM
whipnet

Bikes: Fat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 20 Posts
I ride a fat bike, so not only do I not get told hi or waved to by roadies, I get dirty looks.

Maybe my tires make too much noise...
Likes For whipnet:
Old 07-12-21, 11:43 AM
afm199

Bikes: Trek Madone, 2012, Trek Kronos CX Ultimate, 2012

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
Or maybe being recognized is not on the top their list, and enjoying riding is.
Old 07-12-21, 12:36 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Did you mean Canada Rd. and Jefferson? A moto-cop hangs out there on Jefferson, out of sight until you are into the intersection. A t-intersection with 3-way stop signs.

Canada Rd & Jefferson Ave, Woodside

Other traps:

Portola Rd & Sand Hill Rd--got pulled over there once turning right. The right turn lane from Portola has a stop sign that you can't see until you've made the turn.

Portola Rd & San Hill Rd, Woodside

Alpine Rd & Portola Rd--hundreds of tickets given out over the years. Sheriff car parks on Portola Rd near the gas station. A t-intersection with 3-way stop signs.

Alpine Rd. & Portola Rd, Portola Valley
I've managed to go through those intersections hundreds of times without stopping because I go slowly enough that I can look where the cops hang out AND slowly enough so I COULD stop if I saw one. I also make sure to signal that I'm going to (almost)stop - especially at the two stops on Canada - and move to the right so if someone's following me who isn't stopping I don't end up with them running up my ass.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-12-21, 12:42 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Thanks for the tips hermes, yeah woodside/canada/MH stop sign is pretty brutal, cars don't really know how to react to a stopped cyclist so we slow things down a lot, but its too sketchy to blast through even though that's the least intrusive option to cars. I was chatting with some people and saw some dude blast though it, they were upset and said he is contributing to road rage against cyclists, don't know if I agree with that. 4 wheelers will hate us no matter how we behave, and staying out of their way is better than following the rules of the road IMO. I'm fat and slow up hills, its kind of embarrassing. Haven't done OLH in a while, doubt I would break 25 minutes if I pushed myself. Fastest time is 28 minutes but I was riding and chatting with others. If I descend roads like 84 regularly im gonna die because I don't know how to corner and don't wear a helmet, but go fast anyways. Cant help myself, have to stay away from descents like that.

If I learn how to descend and start doing longer rides ill do that route. I was planning on upping my mileage significantly but wasn't really planning on exploring new roads, which is kinda stupid thinking about it. Would be nice to do some more rides to the ocean. I normally take 92 but I met a girl who I want to ride to the ocean with, she isn't the strongest rider so I don't want to do 92 with her.
That's not my experience. Turning left from 84 to Canada I get in the left lane, make my intention clear, and make sure to take my turn. I almost never have to come to a dead, foot-down stop, but I'm barely moving. I often 'head wag' the person opposite whose turn it is, and then take my turn with no issues.

We're vehicles, so we are subject to vehicular laws, including how we're supposed to handle stop signs. So I do what all the cars do.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-12-21, 12:47 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Also, learn how to corner and wear a helmet, and practice descending. You CAN help yourself, you just don't.

Old 07-12-21, 12:52 PM
Ed333

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Proper Jeep and proper VW drivers wave to each other all the time.
When I had my first Mini Cooper, back in 2003, Mini drivers always gave "the wave" to one another, it was a tight little club at the time, "we few, we happy few". Then as the cars became more numerous, that faded. I think it harks back to the day, when it was "we few, we happy few". I will agree with the poster from New Mexico, I was quite happy to receive waves when driving my car in New Mexico, most often from old gnarly dudes driving old gnarly pickup trucks. It reminded me of back roads back here in Maine, where this still happens. Can't explain it, it just is.
Old 07-12-21, 01:15 PM
Dvdvija

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Why do so many people not greet riders they pass? It seems like 4/5 of the time when someone passes me they do it without even acknowledging my presence, and when they do acknowledge me its usually with something like "on your left" which takes longer than just saying hi. I salute to riders coming towards me 9 out of 10 times, and verbally greet every rider I pass even if I'm redlined sprinting. It triggers me when this happens, I wonder if its because I look like a commuter not a roadie, I always chase them down and see how their day is going when people do this to me.

Yesterday I was riding with my dad and asked him why he doesn't say hi, he was like "I didn't think they would appreciate it, when I get passed im upset at the situation and the other rider" ???? hes so weird LOL
I understand why a person would not want to use hand gesture for saying hello because he/she wants to keep two hands on handle bar for safety, especially going fast or down hill. Verbal gesture would be nice. I usually say something or just a simple smile.
Old 07-12-21, 01:48 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,426 Posts
terrymorse Yes, Jefferson. Great pics and illustration. I doubt it will do Larry any good. Rules do not seem to apply to him.

I found Woodside one of the most cycling friendly areas. Motorists were always very nice to me and when I stopped at intersections like Jefferson and Canada and Canada and 84 if there was a motorist stopped first, generally, they waived me to go first. My approach was a very fast stop and foot down and then off - no time lost to speak of. It always seemed too hard to try to figure out where the cops were hiding.

One time in my own neighborhood, I came to an intersection, looked for cops, but still did the quick foot down and off. There was a cop right behind me. Duh.

LarrySellerz I am not going to provide dating advice but I suggest the best route to the coast is via 84. I have never used 92 to go over Skyline.

The 28 minute OLH time is what it is. The challenge with the ride to the coast is the initial climb, the headwind on the way out and the climb back. One needs everything pretty well tuned with respect to position, clothing, fitness and body weight and a reliable bicycle. Good luck.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 07-12-21, 02:26 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Agree on 84 to get to the coast. WAY less traffic than 92. Of course there's that LO-O-ONG almost flat section of several miles into the wind, but you just grit your teeth, put your head down, and push.

Old 07-12-21, 04:48 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Why do so many people not greet riders they pass? It seems like 4/5 of the time when someone passes me they do it without even acknowledging my presence, and when they do acknowledge me its usually with something like "on your left" which takes longer than just saying hi. I salute to riders coming towards me 9 out of 10 times, and verbally greet every rider I pass even if I'm redlined sprinting. It triggers me when this happens, I wonder if its because I look like a commuter not a roadie, I always chase them down and see how their day is going when people do this to me.

Yesterday I was riding with my dad and asked him why he doesn't say hi, he was like "I didn't think they would appreciate it, when I get passed im upset at the situation and the other rider" ???? hes so weird LOL

Hello Larry! 👋🏻 🙋🏻‍♂️
Old 07-12-21, 05:31 PM
wkc

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 105 2016, Trek DS 8.5 2015, ProAce (1986?)

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I can't decide whether it's better to say hello or to wave. Which one better conveys "I still respect you as a person, even though I just dropped your ass?"
I say a word or two of encouragement if I’m passing people, particularly on a steep climb and they’re look like they are already pushing hard.

“Keep going”
”Not much to go”
”slow and easy does it”
”you’ll get there”

(And no, I don’t own Lycra* or chamois cream.)

* I liken Lycra to spandex. A bit too revealing and disco-like for my liking.
Old 07-12-21, 06:11 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by wkc
I say a word or two of encouragement if I’m passing people, particularly on a steep climb and they’re look like they are already pushing hard.

“Keep going”
”Not much to go”
”slow and easy does it”
”you’ll get there”

(And no, I don’t own Lycra* or chamois cream.)

* I liken Lycra to spandex. A bit too revealing and disco-like for my liking.
Lycra is actually just another name for Spandex.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-14-21, 02:24 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
I wave or nod depending on where I am or traffic. I usually get nods or wave back but not always. Usually someone is just sprinting or really into the ride so much they don't see me and that is fine. It is up to the individual and certainly not a requirement. Just because I wave it doesn't obligate anyone else that's for sure . It's just how I am.
Old 07-14-21, 02:33 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Lycra is just a brand name for spandex.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-14-21, 02:49 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,812 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Lycra is just a brand name for spandex.
Fun fact (from Wikipedia):
An estimated 80% of clothing sold in the United States contained spandex in 2010.[17]
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 07-14-21, 03:26 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12636 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Shirts are overrated. Eddie Albert didn't wear a shirt commuting to Universal in 1946/1947, he put his shirt in his basket like a real man.

Old 07-14-21, 03:36 PM
Doomrider74

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
Pfft who needs compliments from other cyclists: I get them from car drivers . The other day a guy pulled up next to me and complimented me on how fast I was going down a descent. A few days later a guy in a truck complimented on my mountain bike (a Norco Sight).

Move to Canada, people
Old 07-14-21, 03:59 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,812 Posts
Originally Posted by Doomrider74
Pfft who needs compliments from other cyclists: I get them from car drivers . The other day a guy pulled up next to me and complimented me on how fast I was going down a descent. A few days later a guy in a truck complimented on my mountain bike (a Norco Sight).

Move to Canada, people
From cars and trucks, it runs the gamut. From "nice bike!" to "get off the road!"
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 07-14-21, 04:08 PM
GnipGnop
just having fun

Bikes: 1994 TiCycles Softride, 199X Cyclops Stealth Softride, 1999 Rocky Mountain Soul, 1973 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
fify
Found the boomer
Old 07-14-21, 05:36 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Move to Canada, people
You say that now, but if we all did you'd change your tune right quick.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-14-21, 06:05 PM
Doomrider74

Originally Posted by genejockey
You say that now, but if we all did you'd change your tune right quick.
Very true.

Erm...don't move to Canada, people. Its horrible here
Likes For Doomrider74:
Old 07-14-21, 06:17 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Very true.

Erm...don't move to Canada, people. Its horrible here
I don't think it's a simple thing. If you have a desired trade you can and there may be a way if you have gobs of cash but I don't think an average American can just move there.
Old 07-14-21, 06:22 PM
Doomrider74

Originally Posted by big john
I don't think it's a simple thing. If you have a desired trade you can and there may be a way if you have gobs of cash but I don't think an average American can just move there.
For a start, both my posts were meant with a heavy dose of humor, but now you mention it, that is partially true: I'm English and moved here just over three years ago, but a company paid for all my immigration stuff. My skills aren't particularly needed but if you get a company to employ you and do all the heavy lifting then it's possible.
Likes For Doomrider74:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.