Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sport Tourer hall of fame

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Sport Tourer hall of fame

Old 07-20-21, 07:10 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,071 Times in 633 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
Rack trunk & small panniers / fold-up combo unit or medium saddlebag out back, plus a reasonably-sized handlebar bag seems just right to me.

Probably because that's what I've got on my Fuji. Topeak folding-pannier trunk and a Roswheel three-velcro-strap bag on the bars.

--Shannon

PS: While my League Fuji is a great sport-touring bike, it's not HoF-worthy. If they'd made a bike with the 9658 tubeset from the Team and the Club / League geometry, that bike would be a strong contender for inclusion... the 1769 pipes are a teeny bit too heavy and stiff for perfection.
Nothing against your Fuji. I have a 1972 Finest, and it's an awesome ride.. My personal opinion is that once you've moved beyond a rando bag in the front and a seat bag in the back, you've entered "touring" territory.
Old 07-20-21, 09:11 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by icepick_trotsky
What are your picks for the all time great sport touring frames? I'm (very casually) thinking about a new project in this vein. In the past, I've owned a Trek 600 (great but too big) and a Specialized Sequioa (also great but too big). The Specialized was Miyata made and really stuck out to me and I would definitely snap up another if I could find one.
What size frame works best for you? I have a 56cm '82 Sequoia that I should probably let go.
Old 07-20-21, 09:22 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4669 Post(s)
Liked 5,768 Times in 2,272 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Nothing against your Fuji. I have a 1972 Finest, and it's an awesome ride.. My personal opinion is that once you've moved beyond a rando bag in the front and a seat bag in the back, you've entered "touring" territory.
Yeah, handlebar bag + seat bag = credit card tourer
Add panniers, sleeping bag, tent and cooking gear, call it a pure tourer.

Just my opinion.
Old 07-20-21, 10:12 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
My personal opinion is that once you've moved beyond a rando bag in the front and a seat bag in the back, you've entered "touring" territory.
By "rando bag", do you mean the big, boxy, beautiful French-style bags with small front rack and decaleur?

Comparing rack trunk + small handlebar bag to big handlebar bag + seat wedge, storage space and number of racks are about the same, I'd think. There seems to be a difference in handling, but also people seem to prefer one or the other and I doubt anyone could predict which one they like better until they've ridden both... and I haven't, so take that for what it's worth. Aesthetically, though the bags are gorgeous, the big front / small rear setup has always looked unbalanced to my eye. Oddly, the reverse, big rear / no front, doesn't push my asymmetry button much at all.

To me, there's a (small) distinction between "sport-touring bike" and "French-style rando bike".

I guess I wanna say, "siblings, not twins."

--Shannon

Last edited by ShannonM; 07-20-21 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-20-21, 11:15 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 2,206 Posts
Austro Daimler called a series of bikes "fast touring".
Vent Noir and Olympian used 531 butted tubing, 73* head angle, single set of eyelets at dropouts&forkends

Last edited by Wildwood; 07-26-21 at 02:50 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 07-21-21, 12:57 AM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
By "rando bag", do you mean the big, boxy, beautiful French-style bags with small front rack and decaleur?

Comparing rack trunk + small handlebar bag to big handlebar bag + seat wedge, storage space and number of racks are about the same, I'd think. There seems to be a difference in handling, but also people seem to prefer one or the other and I doubt anyone could predict which one they like better until they've ridden both... and I haven't, so take that for what it's worth. Aesthetically, though the bags are gorgeous, the big front / small rear setup has always looked unbalanced to my eye. Oddly, the reverse, big rear / no front, doesn't push my asymmetry button much at all.

To me, there's a (small) distinction between "sport-touring bike" and "French-style rando bike".

I guess I wanna say, "siblings, not twins."

--Shannon
I have one of each, the red ‘87 SLX Marinoni posted above in #14 that always has a large seat-post rear bag (about 7.5 l capacity), and the rando-bagged ‘79 Miyata 912 below with Gugificazione! magic. I love them both. The Marinoni gets more mileage, but the Miyata is more versatile.

Mark G. used his fork re-raking expertise (and much more) on the stock Miyata fork so that the bikes handle quite similarly with comparable loads. But it is worth noting that with the now-low trail fork, which is vital for a front-loaded bike, it can easily handle large variations in load, from an empty bag to full with packed front panniers with no appreciable change in steering or handling. I was amazed when I first tried it with full panniers.

Miyata 912 with Gugificazione!
Likes For Dfrost:
Old 07-21-21, 01:15 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,599 Times in 5,945 Posts
Here's my recently acquired 1982 Lotus Classique. Tange Champion #2 tubing, built by Tsunoda. Shimano 600 Arabesque groupset with a long cage derailleur and 13-32 6-speed cassette.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-21-21, 01:33 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,854 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by icepick_trotsky
You know, when I saw the title of this thread the first bike that came to mind was my Sequoia, but I see it was already here.

It fits me perfectly, BTW.

Old 07-21-21, 05:25 AM
sloar

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1211 Post(s)
Liked 1,120 Times in 421 Posts
I’m going to throw this Miyata 610 on the list, picked it up last night for $90. Not my first, but definitely the least I’ve paid for one. I’m still amazed that such high quality bikes can still be bought for so little money.
Likes For sloar:
Old 07-21-21, 06:31 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 419 Posts
My personal opinion is that once you've moved beyond a rando bag in the front and a seat bag in the back, you've entered "touring" territory.
I picked up a too big Fuji America recently that came with a set of small Cannondale front panniers on a Blackburn lowrider rack. I'd say the volume of the bags is comparable to a rando bag and saddle bag combo. The first owner had gone one way across country with it. The second owner put a couple hundred miles on it. I didn't see any evidence of a rear rack or handle bar yoke mounted. One of the panniers has a "Bicycle Tours USA" patch on it, which may been a supported tour, but that's out of my generational radar. Its only one bit of the historical record, but performance wise putting everything in a set of small front panniers is an advantage over the handlebar bag seat bag combo, particularly if you don't have a low trail bike. Of course that's all sorts of inconvenient compared a handlebar bag for tooling around day rides. Apologies for the thread drift.
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 07-21-21, 07:12 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 943 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I've always thought of the Fuji S12-S as the ultimate sports tourer. One of the ones I had I set up with 650B x 38mm wheels.
I was aware of the S12-S reputation when I found mine, and I was not disappointed. I have the LTD version, which is a step closer the the America. It was originally black, but I wanted something more like Fuji's Rainbow Blue.

1981 Fuji S12-S LTD
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 07-21-21, 07:59 AM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
Also a fan of what the Internationals have going on.

Likes For natterberry:
Old 07-21-21, 08:19 AM
romperrr 
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Insidious C.
What size frame works best for you? I have a 56cm '82 Sequoia that I should probably let go.
If you're in the market to sell, I'm interested if the OP passes. Feel free to PM me a price.
Old 07-21-21, 08:21 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,574 Times in 2,580 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Yeah, handlebar bag + seat bag = credit card tourer
Add panniers, sleeping bag, tent and cooking gear, call it a pure tourer.

Just my opinion.
Yeah, I wonder how much it's a form vs. function distinction. For instance, lots of people have done loaded touring on bikes not OEM equipped for such us, and plenty ride dedicated tourers (e.g., Surly LHT) on weekend fast fifties. And then there are bikes designed to be "all-rounders," straddling a bunch of classifications. A contemporary version of that is my Black Mountain Cycles Road.

I've used it for bikepacking:
PA/NJ/NY bikepacking your

Credit-card touring:
Untitled

And weekend fast fifties:
Untitled
Likes For nlerner:
Old 07-21-21, 09:24 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Uh, drive side QR? You put it on that side when you think no one's looking?
Old 07-21-21, 09:26 AM
nlerner

Uh, drive side QR? You put it on that side when you think no one's looking?
Hey, trying to start a new trend! We all can't be influencers.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 07-21-21, 09:47 AM
icepick_trotsky 
Aspiring curmudgeon

Bikes: Guerciotti, Serotta, Gaulzetti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
You know, when I saw the title of this thread the first bike that came to mind was my Sequoia, but I see it was already here.

It fits me perfectly, BTW.

Glad to see it getting some miles!
Old 07-21-21, 10:23 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Yeah, I wonder how much it's a form vs. function distinction. For instance, lots of people have done loaded touring on bikes not OEM equipped for such us, and plenty ride dedicated tourers (e.g., Surly LHT) on weekend fast fifties. And then there are bikes designed to be "all-rounders," straddling a bunch of classifications. A contemporary version of that is my Black Mountain Cycles Road.

I've used it for bikepacking:
PA/NJ/NY bikepacking your

Credit-card touring:
Untitled

And weekend fast fifties:
Untitled
The bicycle says, "I'm home! I'm home!"
Old 07-21-21, 10:25 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

I've read that some consider the Sequoia the best production sports tourer ever made.

@Andy_K says it's his 7-iron, the only truly safe club in his bag.

Old 07-21-21, 10:54 AM
nlerner

I've read that some consider the Sequoia the best production sports tourer ever made.

@Andy_K says it's his 7-iron, the only truly safe club in his bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVfIhrHTs5M
One of my riding buddies set up his Sequoia with 650b x 42mm wheels plus fenders. No frame mods needed.

Likes For nlerner:
Old 07-21-21, 11:11 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,854 Times in 1,436 Posts
One of my riding buddies set up his Sequoia with 650b x 42mm wheels plus fenders. No frame mods needed.
I had mine setup like that for a while.

I moved back to 700c when I built my 650B Grand Jubilé, but I've got a spare set of 650B wheels now. I may go back to that configuration some day.

Mine required a bit of extra drop for the rear brake, even with the long reach Tektros.

Old 07-21-21, 05:45 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 255 Posts
This “Hall of Fame” seems to feature volume-built bikes. No excuses are needed, except perhaps for mine that are anything but.

But I’m surprised no owner of a French randonnuese (spelling?) has posted, nor one of the fine more recent US versions such as J. P. Weigle, Mark Nobillette, M.A.P., Jeff Lyon/L’Avecaise, and so forth. Seems to me that the French really pioneered and developed the sport touring bike back in the 30’s-70’s, and those Americans are continuing a very worthy pursuit.

We should acknowledge @gugie’s contributions. I guess I touched on that earlier, and his variations on the Raleigh Gran(d) Sport(s), “Big Red” and many more in other’s hands deserve visibility in this HoF.

Last edited by Dfrost; 07-21-21 at 05:59 PM.
Likes For Dfrost:
Old 07-21-21, 06:55 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,298 Times in 3,633 Posts
Well I of course put this in the other sport tourer thread and had resisted putting it here but now think I will.

EDIT- turns out it went in the top of the line thread.

As indicated many times, it was built for Paris-Brest-Paris but not taken for being a bit small, pretty sure that ride is the epitome of sports touring so.....

Here it is again.

Last edited by merziac; 07-22-21 at 01:50 PM.
Likes For merziac:
Old 07-21-21, 07:21 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Dfrost
This “Hall of Fame” seems to feature volume-built bikes. No excuses are needed, except perhaps for mine that are anything but.

But I’m surprised no owner of a French randonnuese (spelling?) has posted, nor one of the fine more recent US versions such as J. P. Weigle, Mark Nobillette, M.A.P., Jeff Lyon/L’Avecaise, and so forth. Seems to me that the French really pioneered and developed the sport touring bike back in the 30’s-70’s, and those Americans are continuing a very worthy pursuit.

We should acknowledge @gugie’s contributions. I guess I touched on that earlier, and his variations on the Raleigh Gran(d) Sport(s), “Big Red” and many more in other’s hands deserve visibility in this HoF.
I'm flattered!

@Andy_K is my publicist, I need to acknowledge you as my P.R. person. Man, payroll is going to be upset...
Old 07-21-21, 09:14 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Dfrost

...and let's not forget builders from "across the pond" who were inspired by the French constructeurs. My Jack Taylor Tour of Britain, while called a road racing bike, is pure randonneuse: 17.5" chainstays, 73 deg head angle with 2.5" of rake, and tons of clearance (except between the chainstays). The only hitch is there aren't many of them out there. In 1978 (the year mine was built), the Taylor brothers made 170 frames. TOTAL. That includes tandems and various other models of singles. It took me 40 years to find mine. (Sorry, no pics. Yet.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.