Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

70's Gazelle Tandem

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

70's Gazelle Tandem

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-21, 12:50 PM
alexnagui

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by JorisVDL
Hi Jacco,

wonderful, thanks for the links. I think they are indeed gazelle specific tandem cranks. I will follow the leads you gave. In the mean time, I have also thought of the helicoil option. I think I could probably use a reverse threaded left crank and drill out the thread to replace it with a regular threaded helicoil. I'll keep you posted and add a picture once I'm done. Don't tell me where you stay, I might find another tandem that looks just like mine ... :-). Thanks a lot. Joris
Tapping a steel crank could be a pita, but it should be possible. Make sure you use a tap which is meant for steel if you decide to go this route.
Likes For alexnagui:
Old 03-10-21, 01:41 PM
JorisVDL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
Old 03-11-21, 03:38 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by alexnagui
Tapping a steel crank could be a pita, but it should be possible. Make sure you use a tap which is meant for steel if you decide to go this route.
I have tapped stainless steel with a cheap set from the local hardware store. Just go slow and lubricate is often the best advice. But be prepared to having to toss it afterwards.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 03-11-21, 04:16 PM
Ross200

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 34 Posts
Tandems East does offer the thread repair option. You may find similar service localy.
Old 03-14-21, 07:29 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

New parts are trickling in. Time to build the front wheel this week!

Likes For JaccoW:
Old 03-18-21, 07:07 AM
JorisVDL

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It was actually quite easy to tap the steel crank - more of a walk in the park than a pita. This tap did the trick: unior bike tools pedal tap 1695.1AR. But then I tried to fit a cyclus helicoil and that only went it 1/4 and got stuck. the thread inside the tap is smooth and works well with the tap, so I'm a bit annoyed. I suspect/hope that it has to do with a mismatch between the two companies - I've ordered the unior specific coils (9/16"x20tpi - 1695.3A / 1695.4A). Will keep you posted if that work smoother.
Likes For JorisVDL:
Old 03-22-21, 09:06 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Front wheel ready to install tomorrow.

Old 03-23-21, 01:00 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

It's starting to look like a bike again.

Just threw on a saddle I had lying around but the wheel is installed, the front light connected and working and the rear tyre has a new heavy-duty inner tube.
I can definitely tell the front brake needs to bed in but I also believe that compressionless housing makes a world of difference here. Especially compared to the KM SilverAce for example, which runs the same brakes. There is definitely some flex in the cables but that's an easy fix.

For the next couple of months I have the bottom brackets to figure out, the one remaining crank to remove and the pedals from the original cranks to remove. That should be a lot easier now that I have a vice.
Who knows, maybe I will get it riding again soon.

Likes For JaccoW:
Old 03-23-21, 07:15 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,392 Times in 2,092 Posts
Square-taper conversion in its future, I take it?

Do you need a generic, silver right-hand arm with no ring?

-Kurt

Old 03-24-21, 04:15 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by cudak888
Square-taper conversion in its future, I take it?

Do you need a generic, silver right-hand arm with no ring?
Not necessarily. These cottered cranks do spin very well, probably because of their bigger loose ball bearings. That and tandem cranks have opposite threading on the timing chain side for the pedals.

I'm going to try and save them first.
Old 04-11-21, 12:06 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

No updates on the tandem this week but I did want to share this cool Sparta tandem I ran across last week. Notice the handlebars of the stoker.

Old 04-13-21, 08:53 AM
alexnagui

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
Hey, I've seen that Sparta, it's parked in de Veerhaven, isn't it? Someone doesn't have space for it on their boat
Old 04-16-21, 02:34 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by alexnagui
Hey, I've seen that Sparta, it's parked in de Veerhaven, isn't it? Someone doesn't have space for it on their boat
Haha yeah probably, It's not really the area for a student house though I could be mistaken.

Now that I am on the lookout for them I see at least 2-3 tandems parked outside on my way tot the train station so they probably aren't all that rare.
Old 04-20-21, 12:57 AM
Beurt

Bikes: Batavus flying Dutchman 50's - Mercier tour de France service des courses 71 - Peugeot early 80's VTT - gazelle tandem 70's - Motobecane interclub tandem - Motobecane 650b randonneur - and more

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 11 Posts

Not the same bike but definitely from the Netherlands as well. Though you guys might like the pic too.
Our gazelle tandem took us on a tour du lac ride here in Annecy just before the new lockdown. More than 50km without any issue only needed to push it up the Talloires steep but that was part of the plan.
We are ready for more adventures.
Likes For Beurt:
Old 04-20-21, 03:07 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by Beurt

Not the same bike but definitely from the Netherlands as well. Though you guys might like the pic too.
Our gazelle tandem took us on a tour du lac ride here in Annecy just before the new lockdown. More than 50km without any issue only needed to push it up the Talloires steep but that was part of the plan.
We are ready for more adventures.
I like your outfits!

Old 04-21-21, 06:04 AM
Beurt

Bikes: Batavus flying Dutchman 50's - Mercier tour de France service des courses 71 - Peugeot early 80's VTT - gazelle tandem 70's - Motobecane interclub tandem - Motobecane 650b randonneur - and more

Originally Posted by non-fixie
I like your outfits!
Carnaval! I does indeed look like two guys dressed as ladies...
Old 07-22-21, 08:10 AM
Beurt

First real trip on the tandem - Loire Valley

Our plan when we bought the bike was to use it on short trips once it would be mechanically sound and I'm glad to say we did it!
One week ago 3 sunny days and 160km total in the Loire Valley visiting wine maker friends and touring castles.
Fitting the bike on top of the car to get to destination has been a challenge, the seats need to be upgraded and JaccoW was definitely right to upgrade to a 5 gears hub, but appart from that we had a very good time!
Here are some pics for you guys:

The peruzzo carrier is rated OK up to 25kgs. I weighted the gazelle at 32... A strong ratchet strap was added but I still drove to 100km/hours max and it worked all right.

Ready to go. Day 1 fresh butts.

The big fish flag was supposed to help with cars passing too close. It kinda worked but mostly made everyone wave at us... Try the wines from Quentin and Angélique Bourse at Le Sot de l'ange when you have a chance!

Ussé was the cast that inspired Disney for the sleeping beauty's At this point I was already on the market for new seats...

My lovely partner and stoker Cecile. I think we did bike up this one after this short break

Still a happy couple on day 2 riding what's sometimes referred to as "Ikea on wheels"

Seb David finding new ways to add weight to our carriage... We need back paniers and a cooler!

Leaving on morning 3 for the last leg back to Azay, sore butts but great memories and ready for more. Maybe Nederlands next time, it's supposed to be flat and it would close the circle for that old bike!

Last edited by Beurt; 07-22-21 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-23-21, 04:34 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by Beurt
Our plan when we bought the bike was to use it on short trips once it would be mechanically sound and I'm glad to say we did it!
One week ago 3 sunny days and 160km total in the Loire Valley visiting wine maker friends and touring castles.
Fitting the bike on top of the car to get to destination has been a challenge, the seats need to be upgraded and JaccoW was definitely right to upgrade to a 5 gears hub, but appart from that we had a very good time!
[...]
Leaving on morning 3 for the last leg back to Azay, sore butts but great memories and ready for more. Maybe Nederlands next time, it's supposed to be flat and it would close the circle for that old bike!
Wow! That looks like a wonderful trip over there. It's a heavy bike for sure and I'm amazed you managed to get it on the roof of the car.
What made you feel like 5-speed would have been better? Did you need a lower gear or a higher one?

If you show up next year I might even have finished my own tandem, so you can compare a bit.

I will be heading to Marseille in less than a month, though on a different bike, if health restrictions allow it but I should be fully vaccinated by then.

Last edited by JaccoW; 07-23-21 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-28-21, 01:37 AM
Beurt

Originally Posted by JaccoW
Wow! That looks like a wonderful trip over there. It's a heavy bike for sure and I'm amazed you managed to get it on the roof of the car.
What made you feel like 5-speed would have been better? Did you need a lower gear or a higher one?

If you show up next year I might even have finished my own tandem, so you can compare a bit.

I will be heading to Marseille in less than a month, though on a different bike, if health restrictions allow it but I should be fully vaccinated by then.
We used the parking ramp to have a platform at the same level as the car roof to load the bike and it went smoothly, once we arrived at destination I had to be creative with a pulley and ropes though...
We needed lower gears mostly, even just one would have save me some pushing. I think you'll be more comfortable with the setup you have on yours.
Enjoy Marseille, it's a fabulous place to visit and there's some very good biking to be done around! We'll be leaving for a surf trip on the Westcoast Saturday and I've organized a vintage bike rental for the whole family there with a guy I've met on the forum.
À gazelle tandem réunion next year would be great!! Let's talk about it!
Likes For Beurt: