Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Harbor Freight Tools

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Harbor Freight Tools

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-21, 02:37 PM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 87 Posts
Harbor Freight Tools

Can anyone recommend suitable/adequate tools for pedals or headset or any bicycle application for that matter, that could be sourced from places like Harbor Freight? Seems like could be an inexpensive alternative to brands like Park etc. Thanks
Old 07-25-21, 02:52 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Some parts, like headsets, take a range of possible tools. Some of these tools are specifically designed for bikes, some not.

Again with headsets- Many threaded types need an open wrench version in either 36mm or 32mm, neither are common tools found in general hardware retailers as the thickness of the wrenches are far less then common house hold tools. But sometimes a slip joint pliers or a large (12" or 15") adjustable wrench can work. But for threadless headsets simple "L" hex wrenches do just fine and these are widely available.

So to with cup and cone hubs. Thin open end wrenches are typically needed for working the cone (and sometimes the lock nut too). We call these tools cone wrenches and are not usually found outside of the bike world.

If you have access to a grinder one can thin down common open wrenches and fit pedals more easily.

I suggest making a list of the tools needed for working on the aspects of your bike you want to do then go to the common tool place and get what you can from them that is on that list. Andy
Old 07-25-21, 03:09 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Modern bikes don't need many special wrenches, except for splined lock ring wrenches that are bike specific. I bought a new wrench for my wheels manufacturing thread together BB and one for my Campy center lock disc brake rotors.
Old 07-25-21, 03:41 PM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
I agree with AndrewRStewart and will add that the older the bike the easier it is to get by with non-specific tools. Threaded headsets, ashtabula bb's and pre-cartridge bb's could usually be done although often not as easily.
Old 07-25-21, 04:01 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Unless you are wrenching on bikes for a living, I'd not buy any special tools until you see that you have a need for them. Then consider how often you might need that tool again. I bought a tool to remove my BB back before I knew better and only used that tool once. The BB I put back in the bike required a different tool.

If you stay on friendly terms with your LBS you might find they'll loosen or tighten things like that for you every great once in a while for just cost of a decent round of conversation.

As for Harbor Freight tools, I don't have any problem with them. Just don't expect them to last a long time. I find that some wrenches and other tools don't seem to be forged or hardened as well as they should. Some just break. But I still will buy them when I only will need something a few times in my lifetime. Or it's something that friends like to "borrow" permanently.

Some will insist you have to buy the best you can, but I can buy a crap load of the same HF tool for the price of a really good quality tool. I buy quality tools when I know I'll use them quite a few times.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-25-21 at 04:05 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-25-21, 04:50 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
No, you can't get bike tools at HFT. But as said several times above, you don't always need bike tools. The resourceful tinkerer can make a truing stand and a dishing tool from household scrap, for instance. But if you need a bike tool, buy a bike tool. Shop on eBay for lower priced alternatives that may work as well as the typical HF tools.
Old 07-25-21, 05:18 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
If you have access to a grinder one can thin down common open wrenches and fit pedals more easily.
I find that Harbor Freight tools lend themselves to being ground down, bent, welded to and otherwise modified. I would not want to do any of those things to my pre-Wal-Mart Craftsman, Snap-On or other quality tools. HF hex drivers seem to be pretty good quality and fit, and the 3 torque wrenches I got from them have stayed in calibration for years. I have a long-pattern 15mm combination wrench which fits pedal flats well, no grinding needed
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 07-25-21, 06:11 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
Just my experience, when I started purchasing more than the basic bike tools, just buying as needed worked fine. I do not have to be in a hurry. I gathered info from this site and others, like youtube, parktool.com. I used a couple of self made tools a couple of times, and then wound up purchasing the tool, like a headset press. I recently used that on press fit bearings and it worked fine. Most of my tools are house brand from on-line bike shops. They are working out well for me, lower cost and I only use them occasionally.
Old 07-25-21, 08:05 PM
matt92037

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
If you are in this for the long haul start buying decent tools as you need them. The labor you save from not paying a shop will more than pay for the tools. I do recommend getting a nice set of metric hex wrenches as they are the most used tool on bikes. The fastners on bikes are soft and cheap hex wrenches ultimately round them out. Once i switched to Wera hex wrenches the fasteners have held up so much better.
Old 07-26-21, 02:26 AM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Wrenches, sockets, ratchets, allens, all basic hand tools made out of a hunk o' metal? Harbor Freight tools are fine. I've rebuilt VW engines with them. (Unless you use hand tools to make your money, in which case buy the best ones you can get.)

That said, there are parts of the bicycle that require bicycle-specific tools. And I do mean require. As in, "there are no substitute tools that will work. Don't even bother trying. Buy the tools or buy new parts... and the tools."

--Shannon
Old 07-26-21, 02:34 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
As others have mentioned, ebay is a good source, can save a few bucks by considering used tools. I have a standard daily search on ebay for "used bike tools'. Some are deals and some are not, gotta lok around.

Old 07-26-21, 05:38 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1666 Post(s)
Liked 1,818 Times in 1,057 Posts
Waiting for a sale or a coupon (I forget which) I got a HF air compressor for less than the cost of a Silca Pisa. Unlike the Silca, it's practical and efficient for my car tires, too.
Old 07-26-21, 12:05 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
They have Allen wrenches, box and socket wrenches, torx, screwdrivers, zip ties, a rubber mallet, hacksaw, and lots of little containers for parts and tools.

It’s a great start and all that is great to fix stuff around the house and car too.

Buy special tools as you need them.
Old 07-26-21, 04:50 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
We once had a WT Wholesale Tool Store in our area. They were quite the resource as they carried everything from Cheap Chinese tools to name brands like Black Hawk and SK Wayne. The best part was that you could buy a single tool - not a set of tools like at HF. You could buy a single open end/ box end combo wrench or a socket in the size you needed. This allowed one to make modified or specialized tools for specific applications. They had inexpensive grinding wheels and entry level machine tools like bench grinders, small drill presses, etc.
Unfortunately, the store closed and now I can only mail order from them.
If you are lucky enough to have one of these WT Tool stores near you, you can buy a couple of 15 mm wrenches to modify into pedal spanners or cone wrenches. I modified a socket for use in dismantling Suntour derailleurs. They also had inexpensive, oversized open ended wrenches for large machine tool applications. These could be ground to metric dimensions for headset wrenches or Bottom bracket tools. sThe possibilities were limitless…