Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

BB90 bearings-bbinfinite products/service

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-21, 04:42 PM
N2deep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts

I needed to replace my bottom bracket bearings on my Trek Doamne and found the bbinfinite BB90 replacements. This company not only shipped a great set of bearings but included two free installation bushings to help with the install.
Old 07-31-21, 06:04 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 869 Posts
Compared to who?
If you've only met one person in your life, you know who your best friend/enemy is.
Old 08-01-21, 08:23 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
I checked out their site and the bearings they offer seem to be ridiculously high priced. 3 versions-one steel and two versions of steel ceramic hybrid with different coatings to justify the price. All could be had for half the cost or less by going to other suppliers. Sorry, but I honestly don't see anything exceptional about these other than the price and ceramics are highly debatable as to whether they offer much if any advantage for BB bearings especially if they're hybrid ceramics. Trek BB90 Bearings | Shimano Bearings | BBInfinite Also checked out their derailleur pulleys for $130-$155 although a "bargain" compared to Ceramic Speeds versions in the $350 range, that's still crazy.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 08-01-21 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-01-21, 09:04 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by N2deep
I needed to replace my bottom bracket bearings on my Trek Doamne and found the bbinfinite BB90 replacements. This company not only shipped a great set of bearings but included two free installation bushings to help with the install.
A little more google searching and you would have found the same bearings (maybe not by brand, but by design, and dimension) here. Before I fully went to Specialized frames, I used to ride Trek. I am an experienced every 1000-1200km bearing replacer. I became very adept at sourcing these things as cheaply as possible because I went through 8-10 sets a year. The upside is that the bearing set is standard, and is easy to source, and is easy to replace. Used to take me between 15-20 minutes a set, including the beer I cracked open, photographed, and reviewed on Untappd.
Old 08-01-21, 01:01 PM
N2deep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
A little more google searching and you would have found the same bearings (maybe not by brand, but by design, and dimension) here. Before I fully went to Specialized frames, I used to ride Trek. I am an experienced every 1000-1200km bearing replacer. I became very adept at sourcing these things as cheaply as possible because I went through 8-10 sets a year. The upside is that the bearing set is standard, and is easy to source, and is easy to replace. Used to take me between 15-20 minutes a set, including the beer I cracked open, photographed, and reviewed on Untappd.
Great response; I tried to source the bearings through or local Trek/LBS but was informed that they were backordered for 6 months, definitely a deal breaker for me. I don”t understand a shop not buying off the internet to service their customers but thats another story. I found these bearings and admit that they are pricy but they have also have a lifetime guarantee. The old set had ~15 thousand miles on them and it appears that they had gotten wet and the moisture rusted/destroyed the bearing. You state that you went through 8-10 sets a year, would you please expand on why they failed?

Thanks again..
Old 08-01-21, 01:26 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Originally Posted by N2deep
Great response; I tried to source the bearings through or local Trek/LBS but was informed that they were backordered for 6 months, definitely a deal breaker for me. I don”t understand a shop not buying off the internet to service their customers but thats another story. I found these bearings and admit that they are pricy but they have also have a lifetime guarantee. The old set had ~15 thousand miles on them and it appears that they had gotten wet and the moisture rusted/destroyed the bearing. You state that you went through 8-10 sets a year, would you please expand on why they failed?

Thanks again..
The design of the BB is the problem. On the one hand it is a very beefy BB shell, and quite stiff. But, it is not durable like a narrower BB, that has the bearings sitting outboard of the shell (like on a BSA threaded or PF30 BB). Thus, sweat and water (with the stuff it is carrying) can work their way under the weather seals and into the bearings. 15k miles is impressive! The best I've ever done was about 15k kms on an outboard type bearing set (M30 in a PF30 BB shell, Praxis). But, on the Treks, I was replacing every 1200-1500km...but it never really bothered me because the bearing were inexpensive (from Wheels Manufacturing), and it took only a few minutes because Shimano cranks are super easy to disassemble and reassemble. Keeping a lot of grease under the weather seal is important for that BB design. Just for reference, I ride in all kinds of weather a lot of folks won't ride in. I don't have a "rain" bike. I just have bikes. I am sure that had an impact as well.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 08-01-21, 01:32 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
The design of the BB is the problem. On the one hand it is a very beefy BB shell, and quite stiff. But, it is not durable like a narrower BB, that has the bearings sitting outboard of the shell (like on a BSA threaded or PF30 BB). Thus, sweat and water (with the stuff it is carrying) can work their way under the weather seals and into the bearings. 15k miles is impressive! The best I've ever done was about 15k kms on an outboard type bearing set (M30 in a PF30 BB shell, Praxis). But, on the Treks, I was replacing every 1200-1500km...but it never really bothered me because the bearing were inexpensive (from Wheels Manufacturing), and it took only a few minutes because Shimano cranks are super easy to disassemble and reassemble. Keeping a lot of grease under the weather seal is important for that BB design. Just for reference, I ride in all kinds of weather a lot of folks won't ride in. I don't have a "rain" bike. I just have bikes. I am sure that had an impact as well.
I think you need a "rain bike". Just my opinion. haha
Old 08-01-21, 01:36 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Originally Posted by Bigbus
I think you need a "rain bike". Just my opinion. haha
In theory, I have 6 of them!
Likes For Badger6: