Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Preparing a Touring Bike question

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-21, 03:49 AM
bowwow

Bikes: Miyata, Bridgestone, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

Hi everyone, In 1992 I bought a Miyata 700GT with the intention of using it for a cross country tour. I began training on the bike but had to give it up due to health issues. The bike, which has less than 5 thousand miles on it, has spent most of the past 30 yrs, sitting or hanging, in Michigan unheated garages.
I'm planning on making a few modifications to the bike and then use it for local, regional, and maybe statewide touring.

First and most important issue is handlebars. I thought that it would be a simple project to replace the original drop bars with low risers and replace the Suntour bar-end shifters with some good quality trigger shifters. After a fair amount of research, it seems as though I was wrong about the simple: aspect of it all. My research results suggest that If I want to keep the Suntour index shifting working properly, I would need to keep all components of the 3x7 Suntour XCE drive train including the shifters. Is this correct?

Hopefully, there are users that have knowledge about this old Suntour setup, I would appreciate any advice you can give.
Old 08-02-21, 04:06 AM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
If you don't mind friction shifting your options are wider. Friction thumb shifters are nice on low rise bars.
Likes For John Nolan:
Old 08-02-21, 04:15 AM
bowwow

Originally Posted by John Nolan
If you don't mind friction shifting your options are wider. Friction thumb shifters are nice on low rise bars.
Right, I do understand about the friction shifter option. I really like index shifting and want to keep it. I am even considering putting the barcons in the ends of the risers. However, ideally, I would like to have bar-mounted, trigger index.
Old 08-02-21, 04:19 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Another possibility is a hybrid thumb shifter system. Friction front and index for the rear. I have Deore thumbies on my dropped mtn bike. Friction front is easy to live with. Friction rear would need the shifter and, probably a compatible FW or cassette as cog spacing is critical. I'm not sure you would need a new RD as the RD just does what it's told. However if the "cable pull" on the shifter does not work with the Suntour RD then you would need to change that too. Just go all Shimano for the rear and get on with it. Such stuff could be easy to find at a co-op/bike kitchen. Or buy a cheap mtn bike and swap the parts over.

BTW: the old 7spd Deore index thumbies probably have a "mode lever". If the index shifting gets wonky, as mine did recently, just change the mode to friction to get you home. Nice feature.
Old 08-02-21, 04:51 AM
bowwow

Oh, your thoughts on the hybrid thumb shifter are good. The bike, and its components, have a fair amount of sentimental value to me and I would like to keep things as original as I can, while still being practical. The Suntour components have very few miles on them and I feel a certain obligation towards the ppl who designed and built them years ago. An obligation to get some use out of them.

Your idea of an index thumb shifter that can easily switch to friction mode would certainly be satisfactory. Thank you for that thought. And if you or anyone else knows just which shifter would work, please advise.

I'm also thinking about using the Suntour barcons in the riser bars. Does anyone have experience with that?
Old 08-02-21, 06:06 AM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Originally Posted by bowwow
I'm also thinking about using the Suntour barcons in the riser bars. Does anyone have experience with that?
You do know that most riser bars won't accept the barcons, right? The bars' interior diameter is usually too small.

Some bars will work, but right now I can't think of which ones.
Old 08-02-21, 06:26 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 509 Posts
A taller stem, such as a Nitto Technomic or a Soma Sutro, might raise your original bars up high enough for your comfort, then you could keep the original shifters and brake levers. The Technomic has about 2 inches of extra height, the Sutro about 1 inch. They are around $40-50.
Old 08-02-21, 06:42 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 935 Posts
I assume you’re aware that the pull ratios with Suntour indexing (Accushift) is different from Shimano indexing (SIS) which is different from early Dura Ace indexing…

There’s people who play all kinds of mix n match games- I like keeping an indexing system as together as I can. Pairing Accushift shifters with an Accushift derailleur. I don’t know about the robustness of Accushift trigger shifters- The ones I’ve seen are farther down the hierarchy- but trigger shifters from like the XCE group are available.

If’n it were me putting shifters on flat bars- I’d change to XC Pro thumbshifters.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 08-02-21, 07:21 AM
bowwow

You do know that most riser bars won't accept the barcons, right? The bars' interior diameter is usually too small.

Some bars will work, but right now I can't think of which ones.
Thank you, I do recall reading about instances where the barcon would not fit a typical riser bar. Some people talked about having the dia. enlarged. Some ppl even said that they had done it themselves with a file !! If I were to decide on the barcons in the risers, I would be more than willing to have the bars machined or whatever.
I also considered welding a piece of tubing onto the riser bars so that the barcons could be mounted in a position like thumb shifters would be. The problem with that idea is, once I weld a piece of tube to the bars, I cant remove them from the quill stem. Thoughts on that dilemma would be appreciated!
Old 08-02-21, 07:24 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Thank you, I do recall reading about instances where the barcon would not fit a typical riser bar. Some people talked about having the dia. enlarged. Some ppl even said that they had done it themselves with a file !! If I were to decide on the barcons in the risers, I would be more than willing to have the bars machined or whatever.
I also considered welding a piece of tubing onto the riser bars so that the barcons could be mounted in a position like thumb shifters would be. The problem with that idea is, once I weld a piece of tube to the bars, I cant remove them from the quill stem. Thoughts on that dilemma would be appreciated!
Paul Components makes converters to convert barcons to thumb shifters, If the square is the same size as Shimano, Microshift, or SRAM that's the route I'd go.

https://www.paulcomp.com/product-cat...ing-solutions/
Old 08-02-21, 07:26 AM
bowwow

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I assume you’re aware that the pull ratios with Suntour indexing (Accushift) is different from Shimano indexing (SIS) which is different from early Dura Ace indexing…

There’s people who play all kinds of mix n match games- I like keeping an indexing system as together as I can. Pairing Accushift shifters with an Accushift derailleur. I don’t know about the robustness of Accushift trigger shifters- The ones I’ve seen are farther down the hierarchy- but trigger shifters from like the XCE group are available.

If’n it were me putting shifters on flat bars- I’d change to XC Pro thumbshifters.
Do you know the name of the XCE trigger shifters that would work with my drivetrain? I have not been able to find any.
Old 08-02-21, 07:31 AM
bowwow

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
Paul Components makes converters to convert barcons to thumb shifters, If the square is the same size as Shimano, Microshift, or SRAM that's the route I'd go.

https://www.paulcomp.com/product-cat...ing-solutions/
The Paul thumb shifter mounts were an option however, first off I do not understand how they can work. I've been having a hard time visualizing how you go from a vertical lever to a horizontal lever. Secondly, they are almost ridiculously expensive, although I might spend the money if they were available. They are totally out of supply. I need to get this project done within the next few weeks.
Old 08-02-21, 07:34 AM
bowwow

I appreciate the suggestion. I've already experimented with raising the present bars, It's not going to work. I need some risers.
Old 08-02-21, 07:44 AM
John Nolan 

Really, I think you'd be better off hunting for a bar that accepts barcons.

Might randonneur bars work, and possibly a longer stem, as suggested by Pompiere?
Old 08-02-21, 08:01 AM
bowwow

Really, I think you'd be better off hunting for a bar that accepts barcons.

Might randonneur bars work, and possibly a longer stem, as suggested by Pompiere?
I have experimented with longer stem lengths. I don't think that randonneur bars would change much.

Do you have any suggestion as to a way to find a 30mm riser bar with the needed interior diameter?
Old 08-02-21, 08:46 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Velo Orange has i or 2 models of flat/low-rise bars that may work for you.
Likes For dweenk:
Old 08-02-21, 09:00 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
The simple solution to what you want is to get some 3x7 Suntour Xpress shifters. They were Suntour’s version of Shimano’s Rapid Fire.

They used to be dirt cheap as they never competed well against Shimano. Now they are quite expensive and maybe not as good as Shimano’s current lower level M310/M315.

You will need to research The compatibility to your Suntour components. There are Suntour catalogs online, and maybe older threads, that might help.

Ebay is your source for Suntour Xpress shifters.

John
Old 08-02-21, 09:00 AM
John Nolan 

If you don't mind changing the stem there are a few options I know of, none of them your typical riser bars:
Eagle Bar
Far Bars
Nitto Losco
Old 08-02-21, 09:08 AM
John Nolan 

EBay shifters

Looong shipping time!
Old 08-02-21, 09:28 AM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
What kind of riser bar are you looking for? Nitto Albatross (expensive) and Soma Oxfords (cheaper version of Albatross) accept bar end shifters. I have used that set up many times. If you are looking for bars that are more traditionally used with mountain bikes, you will probably have to look into modifications.
Old 08-02-21, 10:48 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
The Paul thumb shifter mounts were an option however, first off I do not understand how they can work. I've been having a hard time visualizing how you go from a vertical lever to a horizontal lever. Secondly, they are almost ridiculously expensive, although I might spend the money if they were available. They are totally out of supply. I need to get this project done within the next few weeks.
They’re not really out of stock you’ll get them in a few weeks I’m sure. If you can’t visualize how they work they’re probably not for you.
Old 08-02-21, 11:08 AM
bowwow

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
The simple solution to what you want is to get some 3x7 Suntour Xpress shifters. They were Suntour’s version of Shimano’s Rapid Fire.

They used to be dirt cheap as they never competed well against Shimano. Now they are quite expensive and maybe not as good as Shimano’s current lower level M310/M315.

You will need to research The compatibility to your Suntour components. There are Suntour catalogs online, and maybe older threads, that might help.

Ebay is your source for Suntour Xpress shifters.

John
Thank you, John

If Suntour Xpress shifters would work, Id jump on them. A quick search tells me that they are comparable to Shimano Rapid Fire. I love Rapid fire! Would love to have a comparable shifter. Until I heard from you, I had not heard anything other than Suntour won't work properly without Suntour.

It appears as though I can get some Suntour Xpress shifters.

I wouldn't hold you to it, but... are you confident that they would work well with the drive train I have described?
Old 08-02-21, 11:21 AM
bowwow

Thank you Andy, I am not looking for bars. I am changing bars but have already ordered. Thank you for the help
Old 08-02-21, 11:22 AM
bowwow

Thank you very much for your input.
Likes For bowwow:
Old 08-02-21, 11:25 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I’m not confident at all because Suntour had 2 different 7 speed freewheel/cassette spacings. One was the Ultra with standard 5.0mm and one was MicroDrive which was a 4.8mm/5.0mm spacing mix (according to Sheldon Brown).

But what I would do is Google Suntour catalogs from the early 90’s and try to figure out the RD/Shifter/Cassette compatibility.

If you can use a Shimano freehub, you can technically space a 7 speed Shimano, or compatible, HG cassette to whatever you need. Plus you can continue your setup with replacement Shimano compatible cassettes for as long as your shifters keep working.

John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.