Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

New Disk Trucker out now

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

New Disk Trucker out now

Old 06-23-20, 11:29 AM
Twang -O- Doom

Bikes: Cadex CFM-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
New Disk Trucker out now

Seems to be a lot of changes on the new Disk Trucker

Taller Stack
Shorter Chainstays (minus 10mm)
Brifters
Thru Axles

https://surlybikes.com/bikes/disc_trucker
Old 06-23-20, 12:30 PM
JWK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, GT Grade alloy, Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Just saw it today on the website. You beat me to it. I love the changes, hate the color.
Old 06-23-20, 03:19 PM
ndrose

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Looks interesting for sure. It is a pretty bad color. In past models there have been color options; I wonder if an alternative will be forthcoming.
Old 06-23-20, 03:59 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Crap components. Get the frame and build it yourself.
Likes For alan s:
Old 06-23-20, 04:22 PM
ndrose

Which components in particular? It does look like they’ve downgraded the drivetrain from last year’s model, though the brakes are an improvement.
Old 06-23-20, 07:57 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
The Sora and Alivio drivetrain? You'd expect a bit more from a bike costing what it does in the US and you'd definitely expect more of a bike costing what it does in other countries. Surly complete bikes are commonly overpriced in non-US markets; you can usually make a better bike for the same amount of money if you just buy a frameset.

On the current model, the 3x9 Sora and Alivio are somewhat unimaginative, perhaps even dull. Basically everything else on the complete is dull and or unimaginative as well. Cheap Taiwanese OEM stem and seatpost, as well as hubs. Spokes aren't listed, but they're probably the same. The Spyre brakes are kinda cool, but it would be nice to see something along the lines of a dull touring 3x9 bike set up like the complete, offered alongside a cool Sutra Ltd-esque DT, specced like Ultraromance or someone would on a budget. 1x11 Shimano Deore drivetrain, granola bars (Jones loop or Moloko/whatever), hydraulic disc brakes, saddle bag and handlebar bags made in collaboration with a bag company or Surly branded, cool tan wall or slate wall tires, DT Swiss 370 hubs, Champion spokes and 545d 26" & 700C rims etc.
Likes For PDKL45:
Old 06-23-20, 08:20 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
The LHT used to be such a good bang for the buck, but I'm not sure that's the case anymore.
Likes For robow:
Old 06-23-20, 08:25 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts
Better take better care of my 2011 vintage model. Not buying that thing.
Old 06-23-20, 08:34 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
According to the video, not true thru axles.
Old 06-23-20, 08:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
TRP Spyres a fine choice but the drivetrain is crap. If the bike was 1k or less maybe it would make a bit more sense.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-23-20, 10:15 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
38% price increase on frameset, $525 increase to 725. Pretty expensive for a Surly frameset.

Now you can put that Shimano 1x12 MTB drivetrain on with thru axle capability.

Increased stack height of ~2cm on a 56cm. Standover height is unchanged on 56cm, so I think the video info (lower standover) is misleading or simply inaccurate. On the 56cm/700c the headtube length increased from 152 to 175mm (so there's your ~2cm stack increase). Reach seems to be unchanged.

Chainstays shortened from 460 to 450mm. The fender and rack mounts have been moved from center of rear dropout to the trailing edge (about 10mm) to maintain heel-to-bag clearance. Looks worse this way IMO. The load is now centered behind the rear axle. Who needs "a more lively feel" on a loaded touring bike?

Fork look is diminished IMO with twice as many leg bosses (total of 8, most folks will continue to use only 2 for lowrider rack).

The brake mounts look kinda ugly too but they may reduce weight slightly.

In typical Surly fashion, color is not great. Now you have to scrape off Surly, Disc Trucker, FFF, ambiguous tubing label AND A MANDOLIN to make it look better, which is less effective with the ugly porcupine fork legs. Spare spoke carrier is fairly useless if you have decent wheels (it's easy to carry spares in seattube). Too bad they didn't delete these on the 2020 revision. I predict a black alternative to Pea Lime Soup within a few months.

Those thru axles seem to have an attached lever arm - this may interfere with rack / fenders and have to be carefully positioned when tightening. Basically a bigger version of the QR skewer which got in the way, which is why I used slow release skewers on my 2012 DT.

Likes For seeker333:
Old 06-24-20, 12:07 AM
ndrose

I think (somebody correct me if I’m wrong) that the downgrade in the drivetrain is a necessary consequence of the switch to brifters. Not sure what I think of that trade off.
Likes For ndrose:
Old 06-24-20, 12:20 AM
speyfitter

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
It’s not a downgrade in drivetrain - today’s 9 speed alivio is yesterday’s 9 speed Deore.
Old 06-24-20, 03:29 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 220 Posts
Hot diggity dog I think Surly just came up with my dream bike. Or frame actually but it'll build into a dream bike.

The frame has all the bells and whistles I've been been looking for in a frame lately now that the switch from my mullet LHT to a fully disc brake bike is getting nearer.

I was somewhat on the fence on thru axles before I tried them. But when I did try them I became an instant convert. So much better than QR and not really that big of a deal in a tourer as catastrophic wheel failures likely also wreck the frame too. So thru axles are a definite bonus.

Increased stack height is a massive yes in my book. My current 62cm lht is a bit on the low side and in size 62 stack is increased by 3cm which is exactly what I've been been looking for. Salsa Fargo on the other hand is already too high with a stack height of almost 700mm.

Tire clearance of 47mm with fenders is about perfect. Now that I've had the chance to try various tire sizes from 32mm to 4.8" I've come to the conclusion that 47mm is pretty much a perfect size for general touring. Wanting a 47mm tire was the reason I was starting to lean towards a 650b frame but those are hard to come by with reasonable stack heights.

Looks for me is a non issue and always has been. My current lht is covered in tourist stickers and looks like an absolute fredmobile anyway. I plan to ugly up the next frame in a similar fashion. More eyelets means more versatility, less screws is my spare parts satchel, more room for jerry rigging an emergency repair, more options for bike packing (with 45mm tires my LHT can do pretty gnarly singletrack).

Shortening the chainstay is the only thing I don't fully endorse but then again the LHT/DT has always been pretty long in the rear when comparing to the competition so I don't really see a detriment. I have size 47(eu) feet and bag clearance has not been an issue with my current lht. I've got room to spare.
Old 06-24-20, 04:53 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
It is nice to see someone out there still understands that for touring you want a triple crank when they designed a replacement for an older touring model.

But I had bad luck with a Surly before, so not interested.

When I built up my Lynskey three years ago, everybody was saying I should use a BB7 brake, I went against conventional wisdom and went with Spyre. I see Surly made that change too.

If anybody gets this new disc trucker and is unhappy with the brakes, I thought my Spyre brake was pretty weak so I tried some really cheap resin pads instead of the stock pads that came with it. Much happier with the resin pads. I suspect that pad life is poorer, when I tour I carry a spare set of pads.

Looks like the below-downtube cage mounts are pretty far forward like the older Surly design, so no big bottles down there unless you get an adapter.

Spec sheet says 36 hole rims, but the photos shows 32.

Interesting handlebar shape. That might make it hard to mount some handlebar bags if the bracket clamps are too wide. I am guessing an Ortlieb bar bracket would fit, but that is just a guess on my part. And that bar shape might limit placement of interrupter brake levers if you are so inclined.
Old 06-24-20, 06:55 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
Just took a gander, and you know what, I think all in all its a good compromise of stuff.
sora brifters are well made and function like the old 9 spd tiagra ones that I've ridden for 10 years
shorter chain stays, I figure its a good move, especially with the more "gravelly" angle to the bike (tires, handlebars, fork mounting holes) but doesn't take away from it being able to do traditional pannier road touring but more dirt stuff more funly.
and yup, 9 spd triple means alivio crankset, and only sora brifters will work, but they're fine and frankly, brifters are nice as heck to use all you bar end shifting grumpy old bastards (smiley face wink jokey going on there kids)
one of the reasons I like my troll is because it handles nice and sprightly, so the geometry change of the trucker is a real plus.
don't have through axle experience, but can see the advantages---less finicky for inattentive bad eyesight mechanically challenged folks compared to qr and discs.

I figure higher bars and all are going to be a real plus to the vast majority of riders, no doubt about it.

alivio crankset might be heavier than deore 48 36 26, and I didn't see If this is square taper.EDIT NOPE, Its hollowtech

and I think the colour is cool
and the neato mosquito handlebars look cool too

fricken expensive for us canucks though, surlys have been pricey, overpriced frankly, for years. I was lucky to get a used troll after the big price increases about 5 years ago.

Last edited by djb; 06-24-20 at 06:59 AM.
Old 06-24-20, 07:18 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Honestly the most logical change should be to drop the word Disc and continue with the iconic LHT. After all, disc brakes are not a novelty anymore and naming your bike Disc Trucker or Eagle shifter or Pinion Nomad is just not cool (btw I own the light blue disc trucker)
Old 06-24-20, 09:08 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
Love it or hate it, I am glad that Surly still continues to offer the original non-disc bike and frame at a greatly reduced cost.
Likes For robow:
Old 06-24-20, 09:24 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
Love it or hate it, I am glad that Surly still continues to offer the original non-disc bike and frame at a greatly reduced cost.
With a set of hubs that have worked just fine for decades.
Old 06-24-20, 09:49 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
fricken expensive for us canucks though, surlys have been pricey, overpriced frankly, for years. I was lucky to get a used troll after the big price increases about 5 years ago.
That's how I feel. I find myself looking at the Surly site quite often as I really like their ideas but the price tag for Canada is steep. The DT is listed at $2350 CAD.

But, I suppose there is a bit of the handyman mechanic at work too. For someone who wanted a proven touring design, right out of the box, you can buy it and ride it without much tinkering.

Not sure about the 1/2 thru axle though. The excuse of not losing the axle on the side of the road is kinda lame. I think I would just go all the way with a real one and have the advantage of being locked in both sides. Either way, not a deal breaker or maker for me.
Old 06-24-20, 09:56 AM
mplsbiker

Bikes: 2014 Greg Lemond Washoe, 1973 Schwinn Paramount, 1991 Cannondale ST600, 2018 Salsa Beargrease, 1988 Peugeot Montreal Express, 2017 Trek 520

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
When Trek made this same, drivetrain, change to the new 520 there was a huge thread out where without expectation everyone said that going to Sora/Alivio was cheap move on their part and a money grab (They also increased the price). I wonder if the backlash is going to continue as the few remaining true "touring" frames follow suit. Maybe the LHT/DT halo will start to wear off.
Old 06-24-20, 10:01 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by mplsbiker
When Trek made this same, drivetrain, change to the new 520 there was a huge thread out where without expectation everyone said that going to Sora/Alivio was cheap move on their part and a money grab (They also increased the price). I wonder if the backlash is going to continue as the few remaining true "touring" frames follow suit. Maybe the LHT/DT halo will start to wear off.
I'm sure a big angle is that a lot less people are keen on bar end shifters, and you simply get into issues with brifters, triples and more than 9 speed compatibility
Its that simple
Old 06-24-20, 10:09 AM
ndrose

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Spec sheet says 36 hole rims, but the photos shows 32.
Nice catch. I wonder which is correct.
Old 06-24-20, 10:32 AM
Twang -O- Doom

Bikes: Cadex CFM-1

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
Well maybe not greatly reduced cost.
They added a color back (g-pa's thermos) to the LHT listings and it's $1550 vs $1350 for last years colors.

::Edited to add:: ahh the green one is also speced out differently... 10 speed vs 9

Last edited by Twang -O- Doom; 06-24-20 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-24-20, 10:46 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Aaaaand they've eliminated the frame's Rohloff anti-rotation bolt hole.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.