Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Just when I thought I had it all figured out

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-14-20, 07:34 PM
BenBoozer

Bikes: 2020 Domane SL 5, 2016 Crossrip Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 17 Posts

Picked up a new bright red Domane SL 5 last month for my 59th birthday and with the proceeds from selling my Domane ALR 5 I decided to order a Light Bicycle WR45 (32mm width x 45mm depth) carbon wheelset to go along with it because hey... they're carbon. I made sure to buy the tools needed to exchange the cassette and rotors. Wheels and tools arrived today, those carbon rims are beautiful and perfectly round. I just wish I would have given a bit more thought about the inner tubes. Mine only have 42mm stems.

Oh well, Amazon should be delivering some 60mm long ones tomorrow. In the meantime, did I mention these wheels are beautiful AND weigh 1.3lbs less than the stock wheelset? Will they make me faster? Doesn't matter to me, they look awesome and at 6'3" 225lbs I will never be that red mustang passing you up the next rise. I prefer to think of myself as that bright red Peterbilt model 579 gaining on you down the mountain.

Hopefully I can get a picture of the bike with wheels and tires up tomorrow.

Ben
Old 09-14-20, 08:13 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4362 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
If your tubes have replaceable cores, then...valve extenders
Old 09-15-20, 01:13 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
If your tubes have replaceable cores, then...valve extenders
I don’t recommend the conti ones if you have a press-on chuck. These have a slightly oversized diameter, and since there’s no lockring, it’s *quite* the pain to put on and take off the chuck. I cut my knuckles multiple times on my bladed spokes.
Old 09-15-20, 06:04 AM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. I took a look at the SL5 myself. I was very interested in a "comfort" bike since I already have a performance-oriented road bike (Fuji SL1 Pro).

I am also thinking about the Trek 520 which could my comfort bike and double as a touring bike or even a gravel bike.

I test rode the SL5 and found the steering a bit heavy. The sales person said it was due to the tires (32c), but I must admit it was very comfy. If I did buy it, I would want to keep fat tires on it. What do you think about the bike?
Old 09-15-20, 09:51 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Quoted: 4362 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
I don’t recommend the conti ones if you have a press-on chuck. These have a slightly oversized diameter, and since there’s no lockring, it’s *quite* the pain to put on and take off the chuck. I cut my knuckles multiple times on my bladed spokes.
Fair enough. I didn't mean to boost any particular brand. I was just highlighting the concept.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 09-15-20, 10:18 AM
noodle soup

Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by BenBoozer
Picked up a new bright red Domane SL 5 last month for my 59th birthday and with the proceeds from selling my Domane ALR 5 I decided to order a Light Bicycle WR45 (32mm width x 45mm depth) carbon wheelset to go along with it because hey... they're carbon. I made sure to buy the tools needed to exchange the cassette and rotors. Wheels and tools arrived today, those carbon rims are beautiful and perfectly round. I just wish I would have given a bit more thought about the inner tubes. Mine only have 42mm stems.
I'd be giving tubes less thought, and be thinking more about tubeless tires/sealant + valves..
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 09-15-20, 10:36 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash

This sounded odd, so I measured a bunch (~20) of stems and extensions, and did not get that result. 5.83mm- 5.95mm, w/ threaded stems being the biggest, & Conti extensions on the smaller end.
Old 09-15-20, 10:39 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
This sounded odd, so I measured a bunch (~20) of stems and extensions, and did not get that result. 5.83mm- 5.95mm, w/ threaded stems being the biggest, & Conti extensions on the smaller end.
Huh. Not sure what to say then. I assumed it was because of the diameter but I guess I was wrong.

The issue is that if I press the chuck onto the conti valve extension as lightly as I would a regular stem, it leaks or just doesn’t stay on. So I have to press it on super hard. That’s not a massive issue. But pulling the chuck off is a much bigger problem, especially if you have bladed spokes.

I guess it could be that the conti valve extensions require deeper insertion to form a seal? Am I the only one?
Old 09-15-20, 11:39 AM
BenBoozer

Finally got the correct tubes and wheels mounted. I’m loving how it looks! Will follow up after my first ride.

Old 09-15-20, 01:04 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I'd be giving tubes less thought, and be thinking more about tubeless tires/sealant + valves..
I used tubeless for about 5 years and grew more and more disenchanted with them. They STILL get flats by getting a cut too large for the sealant to seal. You can carry "bacon" or a tubeless "plug" and tool but these are normally so large that it destroys the cord of the tire and the tire is a throw away. If you try to simply put an innertube in them the sealant is really yucky. Also, the latest tubeless tires are EXTREMELY difficult to put on. I broke 2 carbon wheels even with the latest "tire jacks" which are supposed to prevent this and allow you to install even stubborn tires. They don't. I have gone back to clinchers and innertubes and the joy of being able to mount both tires and tubes in 20 minutes was indescribable.
Likes For RiceAWay:
Old 09-15-20, 01:19 PM
swifty
commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
I used tubeless for about 5 years and grew more and more disenchanted with them. They STILL get flats by getting a cut too large for the sealant to seal. You can carry "bacon" or a tubeless "plug" and tool but these are normally so large that it destroys the cord of the tire and the tire is a throw away. If you try to simply put an innertube in them the sealant is really yucky. Also, the latest tubeless tires are EXTREMELY difficult to put on. I broke 2 carbon wheels even with the latest "tire jacks" which are supposed to prevent this and allow you to install even stubborn tires. They don't. I have gone back to clinchers and innertubes and the joy of being able to mount both tires and tubes in 20 minutes was indescribable.
You must have rims on the larger end of the ERTO tolerance scale. Both brands of road tubeless tires I've used could be fitted by hand without even using tire levers (Pirelli and Schwalbe) The only tlr tire that seems a very tight fit on almost all rims, and impossible to fit on some, is the Conti 5000 as reported by many.

To add to that: The Schwalbe Pro One I had to plug with a Dynaplug could be patched just fine. Not that I needed to patch it per se, the Dynaplug did its job. But the metal "bullet" of the Dynaplug detached from the cord after a while, and rattled around in my tire and I could not stand that
Likes For swifty:
Old 09-15-20, 01:25 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
If you want to spend a little more money you might want to look into getting a Bontrager Flare RT taillight and using the mount that goes on the top knuckle on the seatpost (if you don't use a seat mounted bag). It really cleans up the look getting the light off the seatpost and you almost don't know there is a taillight there unless you look closely.

Old 09-15-20, 02:48 PM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by August West
If you want to spend a little more money you might want to look into getting a Bontrager Flare RT taillight and using the mount that goes on the top knuckle on the seatpost (if you don't use a seat mounted bag). It really cleans up the look getting the light off the seatpost and you almost don't know there is a taillight there unless you look closely.

That's a really clean spot for a tail light and the SL5 does have storage in the down tube for basic tools and a tube...

But, I do like to carry a bit more than I could fit in the down tube so if I were to buy the SL5, I would end up with a seat bag anyway.
Old 09-15-20, 03:16 PM
BenBoozer

I already have the multitool, spare tube, co2 and tire lever plus some money stored in the down tube. I love that feature for when I want to travel light. I have a seat bag if I really need to carry additional items. As far as the tail light, that is the original Flare R in the photo, I will get an RT when this one dies but it would block the use of a seat bag and I don‘t think the RT has the amber side flashers that the original has.

Now as far as the bike is concerned, I have never ridden a more comfortable bike than this and with the new wheels, the ride is even better with the same tires. They expand about 2mm wider and I am running at 5psi less pressure which combines for dare I say, a lush ride experience. I don’t need a bike that will leap out of the gate or be as nimble as a deer, not entering any races at 59 years old. It moves when I move and goes where I point it PLUS, it looks good standing still. It holds a straight line, no twitching at all. I can say that the Light Bicycle wheels are amazingly precision made and you really notice the difference once over 15mph, they want to go fast! I predict an even better ride once I put some better tires on it but for less than $3600 total spent, I really feel I got my money’s worth. Your mileage may vary.

Ben
Old 09-15-20, 06:33 PM
August West

As far as the tail light, that is the original Flare R in the photo,...
No, it is Flare RT.
Old 09-15-20, 06:40 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by RiceAWay
Well tubeless isn't for everyone.

If your technique is weak, you're gonna have a bad time.
Old 09-15-20, 06:42 PM
August West

Originally Posted by fujidon
But, I do like to carry a bit more than I could fit in the down tube so if I were to buy the SL5, I would end up with a seat bag anyway.
I do too so I purchased a Lezyne Caddy Sack - Small that I carry in my jersey pocket for a couple of extra CO2 cartridges, patches, tire boots, quick links etc, etc. It has worked out quite well and is waterproof so it isn't getting soaked through in sweat every day
Likes For August West:
Old 09-15-20, 07:10 PM
noodle soup

Well tubeless isn't for everyone.

If your technique is weak, you're gonna have a bad time.
@RiceAWay if you need a tire jack, you don't have your technique down.

Using a tire jack to mount a tire, is like using a prosthetic to please a woman. If you need one to get the job done, you probably need some work on your technique.

Last edited by noodle soup; 09-15-20 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-15-20, 07:24 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Using a tire jack to mount a tire, is like using a prosthetic to please a woman. If you need one to get the job done, you probably need some work on your technique.
It's not the size of the ship but the motion of the ocean.

Sweet bike. Glad you have the tire logos at the valve stem
Old 09-15-20, 07:29 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by GlennR
It's not the size of the ship, but the motion of the ocean.
Exactly

It's all about technique.
Old 09-15-20, 07:40 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Exactly

It's all about technique.
You must be Irish (j/k)
Likes For GlennR:
Old 09-15-20, 07:40 PM
JW in AK

Bikes: 2012 Marin Pioneer Trail, 2019 Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 27 Posts
Finally got the correct tubes and wheels mounted. I’m loving how it looks! Will follow up after my first ride.

That is a damn fine looking machine. Congrats!
Likes For JW in AK:
Old 09-15-20, 07:59 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by glennr
you must be irish (j/k)
English arriving here in 1626, and Dad was right off the boat from Lithuania in 1926. There's probably some Irish in there, but we don't admit to that.

Last edited by noodle soup; 09-17-20 at 08:00 PM.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 09-15-20, 08:07 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by JW in AK
That is a damn fine looking machine. Congrats!
I concur
Old 09-15-20, 10:51 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I already have the multitool, spare tube, co2 and tire lever plus some money stored in the down tube. I love that feature for when I want to travel light. I have a seat bag if I really need to carry additional items. As far as the tail light, that is the original Flare R in the photo, I will get an RT when this one dies but it would block the use of a seat bag and I don‘t think the RT has the amber side flashers that the original has.

Now as far as the bike is concerned, I have never ridden a more comfortable bike than this and with the new wheels, the ride is even better with the same tires. They expand about 2mm wider and I am running at 5psi less pressure which combines for dare I say, a lush ride experience. I don’t need a bike that will leap out of the gate or be as nimble as a deer, not entering any races at 59 years old. It moves when I move and goes where I point it PLUS, it looks good standing still. It holds a straight line, no twitching at all. I can say that the Light Bicycle wheels are amazingly precision made and you really notice the difference once over 15mph, they want to go fast! I predict an even better ride once I put some better tires on it but for less than $3600 total spent, I really feel I got my money’s worth. Your mileage may vary.

Ben

Goes with your screen name.
Likes For woodcraft:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.