Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

2020 Edition of indoor cycling setups

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 11-02-20, 10:28 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts

Thought I would start a new thread for indoor cycling setups. I just purchased the RAD desk (Wahoo copy) on recommendation from DC Rainmaker. This desk is impressive and is perfect for my needs. Adjustable height, stable and wheels make it maneuverable when I need to push it out of the way. It was easy to assemble and the hardware is quite good. So far no complaints and it is one of those products that I ask myself why I didn't purchase it sooner.

The trainer is a Tacx Neo2T which has been great, no complaints. The training software is the Tacx software. This is the one that fits my needs and more importantly holds my interest as I find indoor cycling boring at best. Second, my wife saw the training app and it appealed to her so she started indoor cycling last spring. If you have a Tacx trainer I highly recommend you try their free trial. I like the real video footage vs the Tron like graphics of Zwift.

Likes For blakcloud:
Old 11-02-20, 10:46 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
His & hers Zwifting suite

(some cable cleanup/routing yet to be done)

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 11-02-20 at 12:25 PM.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 11-02-20, 10:47 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
Thought I would start a new thread for indoor cycling setups. I just purchased the RAD desk (Wahoo copy) on recommendation from DC Rainmaker. This desk is impressive and is perfect for my needs. Adjustable height, stable and wheels make it maneuverable when I need to push it out of the way. It was easy to assemble and the hardware is quite good. So far no complaints and it is one of those products that I ask myself why I didn't purchase it sooner.

The trainer is a Tacx Neo2T which has been great, no complaints. The training software is the Tacx software. This is the one that fits my needs and more importantly holds my interest as I find indoor cycling boring at best. Second, my wife saw the training app and it appealed to her so she started indoor cycling last spring. If you have a Tacx trainer I highly recommend you try their free trial. I like the real video footage vs the Tron like graphics of Zwift.

Nice setup. Your wife lets you sweat all over that nice carpet?
Old 11-02-20, 04:38 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
Nice setup. Your wife lets you sweat all over that nice carpet?
That is an inexpensive Ikea carpet! Fortunately I don't sweat much and I keep a towel nearby to dry myself off.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 11-04-20, 09:43 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
That is an inexpensive Ikea carpet! Fortunately I don't sweat much and I keep a towel nearby to dry myself off.
I'd still protect it. Grease, sweat, none of it good.
Old 11-04-20, 10:55 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
I'll try to get a decent pic (gotta clean up a bit), but here's what I have:

Cycleops Hammer (1st gen, works great!)
2 lasko pro performance blower fans
1 lasko cyclone (bigger circular fan, not as powerful as the pro, but I'll take whatever I have for air flow)
RAD cycling desk
Macbook air hooked up to insignia 32" tv for zwift/TR (I use TR exclusively for training, I send power to zwift just for visual distraction)
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 11-14-20, 07:55 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
I spent the day partially cleaning up my pain cave so finally it is in a semi-decent/presentable state for some photos. I'm using a 1st gen Tacx Neo with a Wahoo desk. The Wahoo wasn't actually my first choice; I was initially eyeing a cheaper RAD or Magene but the local sellers that I checked did not have them in stock. One of my LBS had one Wahoo unit left, so I took the deal. Now that I have it setup the way I like, I'm actually preferring the Wahoo's free-rolling unidirectional wheels over lockable, rotating wheels - if I need to use the keyboard, I can easily sit up, pull the desk over the bars, do whatever I need to do, then push the desk away after I'm done.

I notice cables being all over the place seems to be a theme, lol. This was the best that I can do so far:

I've got a JBL Xtreme speaker hanging underneath the desk. Despite the location, sound still comes up nice and clear, which is great for some music, or for watching Netflix during a workout:

Not my best choice though. Ideally, I'd like to have some nicer speakers set up, but either they have to be cramped up beside my computer, or I'll have to deal with setting up speaker stands before each workout and then taking them down afterwards, which is a pain. Here's how it would look like if I were to use my other set of speakers:

These speakers also have a subwoofer output if I really wanted to get serious with my audio... but I simply don't like them standing precariously at the edge like that, and I don't want the hassle of using separate speaker stands, so for now this setup will be just wishful thinking.
Old 11-14-20, 12:48 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
I just picked up a Wahoo Kickr Core secondhand from a friend that never used it. Signed up for Zwift a couple days ago.

Thinking about maybe buying a desk and a fan.

Can you say “sketchy”??
Likes For sarhog:
Old 11-15-20, 04:08 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by sarhog
I just picked up a Wahoo Kickr Core secondhand from a friend that never used it. Signed up for Zwift a couple days ago.

Can you say “sketchy”??
if i did what are doing in that photo my wife would probably shoot me. i can hear her now..."get that dirty bike off my carpet and out of my house!"
Old 11-15-20, 05:26 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
...ummmm...bottles on the table...no coasters...adding to the situation by adding a desk and a fan to the middle of the living room...you are soooo single...
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 11-16-20, 06:07 PM
jleeg

Bikes: Moseman with Campy NR circa 1979, Merlin Titanium from1993 with newly installed Campy Chorus 12, Raleigh Tamland II gravel grinder, Tommassini XFire with Campy Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 38 Posts
Likes For jleeg:
Old 11-17-20, 05:21 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Tagged so I can find this later.
Old 11-17-20, 08:49 AM
am0n

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
For the people using tablets, how do they work out for you? Are they big enough (what size)? Do you do the VR type of rides in Zwift/Rouvy, etc.? Or just show your metrics? Do you rely on the Bluetooth of your device, or use an ANT+ dongle?
Old 11-17-20, 05:54 PM
jleeg

Bikes: Moseman with Campy NR circa 1979, Merlin Titanium from1993 with newly installed Campy Chorus 12, Raleigh Tamland II gravel grinder, Tommassini XFire with Campy Record

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 38 Posts
My iPad is adequate. I put it on the music stand and can easily see all.
Old 11-18-20, 02:28 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
A spare room in the corner of our basement is where I now work and my bike is set up next to my desk.

80s Schwinn road frame with 11sp 105 5800 drivetrain.
Cyclops Fluid 2 trainer.
Zwift running on appletv displayed on a tv...35"? 37"? 42"? ..who knows.

Ive used this for a couple years now and assuming Zwift keeps my attention through the next 5 months, ill buy a smart trainer next fall so my power is no longer estimated by Zwift and is instead estimated by Wahoo.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 11-18-20 at 03:09 PM.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-18-20, 06:16 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by sarhog

Can you say “sketchy”??
Hospital tables. 1/3 the price of even the Wahoo workout table look-a-like on Amazon you can buy
Old 11-18-20, 06:33 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Some of these set ups are quite posh. Mine's in the garage. I'll try to snap some pix.

Edit:

Last edited by caloso; 11-19-20 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-19-20, 08:05 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
my private-exclusive members only riding setup...very cold in the winter when only a few degrees on the other side of that 1/16" garage door. one nice thing about the garage though is that i sweat far less than the few times i rode in the house.

Likes For spelger:
Old 11-20-20, 07:59 AM
hubcyclist

Took a pic of my setup, description above. Also have my 9y/o sons bike on a trainer since I’m his PE teacher these days lol
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 11-20-20, 08:24 AM
am0n

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Are you also his music teacher? Do we need to give you a raise?
Likes For am0n:
Old 11-20-20, 08:46 AM
hubcyclist

ha, I haven't even attempted to teach him guitar, heck I'm barely qualified to play myself despite technically playing almost 30 years. My guitar storage game needs major work, leaning up against stuff is not really the best plan, but I guess that's what happens when I paid in the neighborhood of $30-40 for each of those (seriously)
Old 11-20-20, 11:32 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Originally Posted by ingo

I'm not going to win the prize for most elegant room in an advertisement, strictly functional. Kickr, rocker plate, Mac Mini with eGPU, 32" main screen, 1992 carbon TVT, 4iii power meter, Runpod for the treadmill. In four winters this setup has done 32,000 km on Zwift. However it is about to be upgraded to a Kickr bike if it ever shows up. The TVT has earned its retirement after 40,000 km outside as my main road bike, 3 groupsets worn out, and then on the Zwift station for 4 years.
Tell us about the rocker plate.
Old 11-20-20, 02:37 PM
ingo

Bikes: Cervelo S3, Ridley Helium, Cannondale Topstone Carbon, Giant Trance

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Tell us about the rocker plate.
Lots of different designs, some complex, some simple. I built mine a long time ago to increase comfort. There's a Facebook group about them with various designs and plans. Here is mine in action.
Old 11-20-20, 02:49 PM
caloso

That's awesome.
Old 11-22-20, 10:46 AM
bikefriday

Bikes: 1989 Specialized Allez Pro, 2007 Specialized S Works E5, 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I live in Vancouver, BC...usually don't go indoors until the rainy season starts in the fall, and temperatures cool. Got my Wahoo Kickr setup in the garage. I have a small heater that I turn on for about an hour before I get out there to do my workouts which warms it up sufficiently for me. Limited space in the house, and no basement (we have a crawlspace) means that I have to use space wisely. The cycling desk was a heavily discounted "sale" item from Amazon that has some minor scratches. The training mat was another sale item from Costco - $29.99, so a lot cheaper than the name brand trainer floor padding / mats.

Likes For bikefriday:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.