Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Axle not seated properly

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Axle not seated properly

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-21, 01:26 PM
jfny1978

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Axle not seated properly

Good afternoon from sunny upstate New York.

I just bought my girlfriend a used Scwhinn cruiser from Facebook marketplace with hopes of fixing it up a bit, and the rear axel is not seated all the way into the dropouts, and there is a small metal stabilizer bar connecting the axel to the frame below. See photos at the bottom of this post

My best guess is that the tires and/or the fenders are not original, and someone did this to create space between the tires and the fenders. I tried to seat the axel fully and it did make contact with the fender.

I was wondering 2 things:

1. Can anyone think of another reason this would be like this?

2. Do you all think it's dangerous for her to ride like that?

Thank you

Last edited by jfny1978; 03-12-21 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-12-21, 01:30 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
In order for the axle to slide farther into the dropouts the chain would have to be lengthened. The "metal stabilizer bar" is the reaction arm for the coaster brake. It can be easily moved along the chainstay by loosening the clamp that holds it to the frame. The axle is fine where it is
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 03-12-21, 01:33 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Is the "stabilizer bar" the coaster brake? If so, I think you can loosen the bolt where it attaches to the chain stay, have Axel loosen the axle bolts, and move everything back in the drop-outs, and re-tighten everything. If the fender rubs, bend it or take it off.

FWIW, Axel is a guy's name, axle is what holds the wheel on (apart from the stabilizer bar).
Old 03-12-21, 01:47 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
As above, it looks fine as-is. As long as the axle is not so far forward in the dropout that the nut is over the edge, there is no problem. THe horizontal drop out is designed to have the axle in the middle, not necessarily all the way in the back. It needs to be positioned to 'tension' the chain - actually so there is no tension in the chain but very little slack.

The arm is the 'brake reaction arm' which can be moved to allow the chain tension to be adjusted, but must not be removed for riding.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 03-12-21, 02:11 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
FWIW, Axel is a guy's name, axle is what holds the wheel on (apart from the stabilizer bar).
Since the bike is rose color, I suppose one could use axl.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 03-12-21, 02:42 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
The position in the dropout is determined solely by the chain. If the chain is too short the axle will be forward. Too long and it will be at the rear of the dropout and the chain may be too loose. In your picture, the chain seems to have the right tension and the axle is not too far forward so I think you're good to ride. If you really want the axle to be further back, you could add a half-link to the chain.

When adjusting the position of this wheel, you should do these in order:
1. Loosen the clamp for the coaster brake reaction arm so it allows the axle to slide.
2. Loosen both axle nuts.
3 Pull back on the wheel so the chain is taut, then tighten the chain side axle nut just enough that the axle doesn't shift.
4. Pull back on the non-chain side axle so that the wheel is centered between the chain stays. Tighten that nut just enough.
5. Check the chain for tightness. If too taut or too loose, loosen the right side nut and nudge just slightly to correct then retighten the nut. Loosen the left side nut and repeat step 4.
6. When everything looks good, tighten both axle nuts firmly.
Old 03-12-21, 04:17 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
The position in the dropout is determined solely by the chain. If the chain is too short the axle will be forward. Too long and it will be at the rear of the dropout and the chain may be too loose. In your picture, the chain seems to have the right tension and the axle is not too far forward so I think you're good to ride. If you really want the axle to be further back, you could add a half-link to the chain.

When adjusting the position of this wheel, you should do these in order:
1. Loosen the clamp for the coaster brake reaction arm so it allows the axle to slide.
2. Loosen both axle nuts.
3 Pull back on the wheel so the chain is taut, then tighten the chain side axle nut just enough that the axle doesn't shift.
4. Pull back on the non-chain side axle so that the wheel is centered between the chain stays. Tighten that nut just enough.
5. Check the chain for tightness. If too taut or too loose, loosen the right side nut and nudge just slightly to correct then retighten the nut. Loosen the left side nut and repeat step 4.
6. When everything looks good, tighten both axle nuts firmly.
Very important: 7. Retighten the reaction arm clamp fastener. .

The chain should never be tight, it should be able to be moved up and down a few millimeters with your fingers..
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 03-12-21, 04:19 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Is the "stabilizer bar" the coaster brake? If so, I think you can loosen the bolt where it attaches to the chain stay, have Axel loosen the axle bolts, and move everything back in the drop-outs, and re-tighten everything. If the fender rubs, bend it or take it off.

And you want the reaction arm (stabilizer bar) tight so that you don't break the brake.
Old 03-12-21, 06:12 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
And you want the reaction arm (stabilizer bar) tight so that you don't break the brake.
I recall during my carefree childhood lashing the reaction arm to the stay with a shoelace. Things were forever falling off that J.C. Higgins so one had to make do.