Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are expensive cables/cable housings worth upgrading to on an entry-level bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-17-21, 10:28 PM
djdelarosa25

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

My Giant road bike with a Claris came with pretty basic Jagwire stuff. I noticed that even when properly adjusted, the front derailleur is pretty hard to shift (turns out my shifter housing at the ferrule end has started fraying). There's also some noticeable friction on the rear brake (noticeably not as smooth as the front one). I've already decided not to spend money on things that won't give a noticeable performance improvement. So far, I've only planned on replacing the saddle, the tires when they wear out, and maybe even the wheels in the future. Should quality cables/ cable housings be added to the list? Or are inexpensive cables and/or cable housings good enough for a low-end bike like this? If I do upgrade, I found a complete kit of Jagwire Pros for 40 USD. Are they worth it?
Old 04-17-21, 10:52 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
yes...good clean housing and good cables are always a good thing.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-17-21, 11:54 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by djdelarosa25
My Giant road bike with a Claris came with pretty basic Jagwire stuff. I noticed that even when properly adjusted, the front derailleur is pretty hard to shift (turns out my shifter housing at the ferrule end has started fraying). There's also some noticeable friction on the rear brake (noticeably not as smooth as the front one). I've already decided not to spend money on things that won't give a noticeable performance improvement. So far, I've only planned on replacing the saddle, the tires when they wear out, and maybe even the wheels in the future. Should quality cables/ cable housings be added to the list? Or are inexpensive cables and/or cable housings good enough for a low-end bike like this? If I do upgrade, I found a complete kit of Jagwire Pros for 40 USD. Are they worth it?
Only $40 to correct shifting and upgrade at the same time and you need us to tell you to do it?
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 04-18-21, 02:34 AM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Only $40 to correct shifting and upgrade at the same time and you need us to tell you to do it?
If you try a little harder, you might be able to achieve the level of Obnoxiously Condescending. I'm sure that would impress the OP.
Old 04-18-21, 04:26 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I personally would not replace anything until it needs replacing. If something does not work properly, then I would do something about it. Otherwise I might wait until it breaks or becomes a problem.

Since I have not seen your bike, I can't say for sure what I would do.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

There are some on this forum who will tell you you should spend thousands on a bike, and anything cheaper is just not good enough. Then you should upgrade the already good parts on the bike. Some of us are not as rich as them, and need to live economically.

Last edited by alo; 04-18-21 at 04:31 AM.
Old 04-18-21, 04:46 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
If you try a little harder, you might be able to achieve the level of Obnoxiously Condescending. I'm sure that would impress the OP.
Is there something that I have ever posted that makes you think I’m trying to impress anyone on BF?
You should go back to creeping peeps out by fantasizing about riding on their bikes.
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 04-18-21, 05:16 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Don’t know from the info given if your issues are due to worn cables or bad setup (you did not even say if the bike is new or how old the cables are). But I doubt they are due to the quality of the cables.

If you do go with replacing cables and housing.....

I never found a difference between standard vs higher end shifting cables and housing.

I do notice a real difference in brake cables and housing (more specifically the housing). Compressionless housing (such as the Jagwire Pro) make for more solid feeling braking over standard brake housing. Jagwire Pro is my go-to for brake cables and housing sets.

Last edited by Kapusta; 04-18-21 at 07:21 AM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 04-18-21, 05:33 AM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
I have the same dilemma with an older Giant bike. I won't get much selling the bike so I decided to fix it up a bit relative to cost/benefit. I'd go with the cable upgrade in your case. What are some good brand cables to order out there if I see a deal?
Old 04-18-21, 08:06 AM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Is there something that I have ever posted that makes you think I’m trying to impress anyone on BF?
You should go back to creeping peeps out by fantasizing about riding on their bikes.
There you go; you proved my point. Congratulations.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 04-18-21, 10:24 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I found a complete kit of Jagwire Pros for 40 USD. Are they worth it?
That's a good price. You'll also need something to cut the housing cleanly (bike-specific cable cutter, dremel tool, or grinder/cutting wheel), so factor that into the cost.

Last edited by tyrion; 04-18-21 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-18-21, 11:03 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
I think that the most important factor isn't the quality of the cables and housings as much as the installation. Mainly, make sure you don't have any burrs where you've cut the housing.

If your front derailleur seems harder to shift up than you think it should, look at where the cable attaches. Often there is a little finger right in cable route. It's important the cable is routed OVER that finger. It changes the angle of leverage and makes a huge difference.
Old 04-18-21, 12:21 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
I found a complete kit of Jagwire Pros for 40 USD. Are they worth it?
Not for me. I buy Shimano brake cable kits (with grey housing) on eBay for under $10 shipped. And derailleur cables are $1/ea.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 04-18-21, 01:11 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I don't think it's worth on expensive bikes let alone cheap bikes. Using normal Shimano or SRAM cables/housing, installing it correctly and replacing them in a timely fashion are more important.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 04-18-21, 01:22 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
On the handful of bikes I've maintained, over the years, I have generally found good-quality cables and housings to be an improvement. Definitely keeping them clean and well-lubed is a major factor, too. As is proper install and routing (ie, no tight bends, "clean" cuts to the housing).

Currently using JagWire Pro for both brake and shifting, on a rebuilt '90s Trek 970. Like them. Definitely smoother and easier to shift/brake than with the older cabling, derailleurs, brakes.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 04-18-21, 03:02 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
on the other hand, you can always go di2, eTap and forego the cables altogether

Old 04-18-21, 03:10 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
on the other hand, you can always go di2, eTap and forego the cables altogether
How long before we get Jagwire Super Pro Elite Competition Nano-coated Di1 electrical wire?

(full disclosure: back in the 80s I bought Monster Cable $90 wires for my stereo speakers.)
Likes For tyrion:
Old 04-18-21, 03:36 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
is it worth putting a good liability insurance policy on a clunker vehicle? Is it worth the extra cost for toilet paper that doesn't rough you up like a bouncer at the club?

Answer: Definitely!
Old 04-18-21, 05:36 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,149 Times in 1,313 Posts
You state the cable is fraying at the housing end?

If that is the case, no amount of money on a cable will solve a poorly cut housing.

First step is to square off the housing ends and make sure there are no burrs that can catch on the cable. I dress mine with a bench grinder and make sure liner is open.

I use Jagwire kits, not Pro, off eBay without any issues. I have started buying Jagwire slick cables also off eBay pretty cheap.

I have experience with Claris shifters and brakes, but not the derailleurs. Shifters seem fine, but mated to higher level derailleurs. Brakes are worse than 20 year old 105’s.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 04-18-21, 07:10 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
He posted that the housing was fraying. Maybe the OP can clarify as I am not sure he's using the correct terminology.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 04-18-21, 07:56 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,149 Times in 1,313 Posts
I can’t recall ever experiencing that.

John
Old 04-18-21, 08:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I wouldn't put a ton of money into that bike certainly cables and housing and pads and shoes are the best low cost upgrade but the problems you are experiencing might not be the cables and housing. Certainly yes if your cables are fraying that is bad and I would replace that if that is the case. But it just sounds like the quality of components aren't up to your riding. They certainly cost less initially but tend to have issues like this more often in the long term.

Tthe longer housing run you have the more friction you will have. Front brakes also have most of your power so they will always feel better when adjusted properly.
Old 04-18-21, 08:20 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
I saw "entry level" in the thread title and assumed it would be a question about a Kent bicycle.... GMC Denali, etc.

On a Giant (any Giant) I don't think I'd upgrade the cables unless they're truly in need of replacement (fraying, damaged etc).
Old 04-18-21, 09:24 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
The only way I'd consider expensive cable housing is if I had shifting problems with the inexpensive housing. Which frankly I don't see happening.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 04-19-21, 08:10 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I've been using the "normal" level of Shimano or Jagwire stuff on my bikes. Bikes mostly with mixes of 105/Ultegra. So long as I use a nice pair of sharp cable cutters, run the cables properly, assemble all properly, etc........it works out well.

I've always found that the shift performance should only really "get great" if you move between group sets with different cassette/ring ramps and different RD/shifter dynamics. Not really from cables. Cables are kind of a "base condition" thing to me. If done right, they should allow the group set to perform as intended. Not really improve it.

If the group set won't shift how you like, maybe other things need a return to "base" condition. Like getting shavings of cable out of 105 shifters that chew up cables over time. Chain/sprocket conditions. Etc....

I was in problems back in the day trying to not buy the nice set of cutters and by being a smarty pants trying to run cables "neater"........aka.....too tight of bends. Then I went down the "nicer housing/cable" path for a while. No improvement. Back to proper cuts, proper bends, proper assembly......all fine.
Old 04-19-21, 04:59 PM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 152 Posts
I use the Jagwire Sport brake and shift (bar-end shifters with the housing run fully under the tape) and haven't had problems.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.